NEurope
Phube

Football Season 2016/17

Now don't you come in here with facts and reason. God damn it man this is a football thread.

I thought it was a very frustrating game today, for quite a few reasons. I do think that overall United were the better of the two teams, even if it wasn't by much. Buuuut, Mourinho's game management today was terrible and cost us the points. I haven't watched Match of the Day and didn't catch up with the post-game analyse after the match as I had to leave the house shortly after and have only just got back in, so I don't know if the pundits picked this up or not. But, we were more than cruising, United were going for a second and were one chance away from getting it. Mourinho's substitutions hurt the team today as they invited the pressure onto the team and stopped us from attacking.

In addition to that, I thought the refereeing performance today was not a great one. Imo, it should have been a penalty in the first half. Monreal (I think it was) impedes Valencia and doesn't make any attempt to play the ball whatsoever. Clear foul and a clear penalty. We should have had a free-kick in the second half on the edge of their box, which the ref just seemed to ignore completely. Not quite sure what was going on today. Not saying at all that we lost the game because of the ref, but that the performance was notably poor and it did have an impact on the game in a negative way.

Overall, I thought the game was poor. There was no bite to this and it was pretty tame stuff at times. I don't think Arsenal played that well, but they leave with a point so well done to them. I definitely don't think there's enough in that United attack. If I were an Arsenal defender, I wouldn't have been too worried about coming up against this United side with the way that they're playing the game. It's still too slow for my liking and not lethal enough.

As a (relative) neutral I thought Man U EaSILY deserved to win and Arsenal were extremely lucky. However, Man U have a really poor team/squad - how much money have Man U spent the past few seasons and that is what they have?!?! Crazy. Man U need to spend yet again in January to get anywhere near top 4 I think.

As a (relative) neutral I thought Man U EaSILY deserved to win and Arsenal were extremely lucky. However, Man U have a really poor team/squad - how much money have Man U spent the past few seasons and that is what they have?!?! Crazy. Man U need to spend yet again in January to get anywhere near top 4 I think.

We have an excellent goalkeeper, a functioning midfield and (when available) a pretty good defence. My concern is the attack. We can't put teams away. Along with that, Mourinho's game management didn't help yesterday as it just invited unnecessary Arsenal pressure onto us.

We have too many issues with each of our strikers. Rashford is still young and inexperienced. It's a lot to ask of him to lead the line as a sole striker. Ibra is in his latter years and isn't a pacey player who can run in behind and we also can't close down from the front. Rooney and Martial hardly play as strikers and aren't performing. So, it's still not balanced.

I think we've spent enough money now. There should be enough quality there to mould together a team of 11 players (plus a few impact subs) who can win games. If there isn't, then we need to question our whole transfer policy and maybe rethink the whole thing.

We have an excellent goalkeeper, a functioning midfield and (when available) a pretty good defence. My concern is the attack. We can't put teams away. Along with that, Mourinho's game management didn't help yesterday as it just invited unnecessary Arsenal pressure onto us.

We have too many issues with each of our strikers. Rashford is still young and inexperienced. It's a lot to ask of him to lead the line as a sole striker. Ibra is in his latter years and isn't a pacey player who can run in behind and we also can't close down from the front. Rooney and Martial hardly play as strikers and aren't performing. So, it's still not balanced.

I think we've spent enough money now. There should be enough quality there to mould together a team of 11 players (plus a few impact subs) who can win games. If there isn't, then we need to question our whole transfer policy and maybe rethink the whole thing.

It's weird, as your attack is the only players I look at and think of as quality (In addition to GK), I wouldn't take any of your defenders or midfielders even as squad players. I mean, I guess you'd sort of have to take Pogba, but not on his Man U performances. Mata, Martial, Rashford - these are the only ones I think are real quality.

It's weird, as your attack is the only players I look at and think of as quality (In addition to GK), I wouldn't take any of your defenders or midfielders even as squad players. I mean, I guess you'd sort of have to take Pogba, but not on his Man U performances. Mata, Martial, Rashford - these are the only ones I think are real quality.

Really? Herrera has been dynamite in midfield this season and probably been one of our best players. Bailly has also been fantastic. Mata has also had a good season but Martial has been below average.

Neutral my arse.

We were shit.

Old Trafford is quiet tourist haven. No noise at all yesterday.

We didn't lose. November's almost over. Still above Spurs.

Oli G is a sexy bastard.

Neutral my arse.

We were shit.

Old Trafford is quiet tourist haven. No noise at all yesterday.

We didn't lose. November's almost over. Still above Spurs.

Oli G is a sexy bastard.

Yeah, of course, you were shit, we agree, what's your problem?

And it may be quiet, but surely not as quiet as your ground? Worst atmosphere I've ever witnessed!

And it may be quiet, but surely not as quiet as your ground? Worst atmosphere I've ever witnessed!

Got to agree with you there. You could hear a pin drop at times during the Ludogorets game. I was at Partick Thistle a week later with a crowd of a few thousand and it was far noisier throughout.

Yeah, of course, you were shit, we agree, what's your problem?

My point was you are about as far from neutral as you can get.

And we aren't talking about our gaffe. We know it's crap.

My point was you are about as far from neutral as you can get.

Of course I'm pretty neutral, Man U deserved to win, Arsenal, like many times this season, have played poorly and got more points than they maybe deserved.

Tottenham haven't played well at all this season bar Man City game.

I hate Chelsea almost as much as Arsenal, but can admit they look really impressive.

What's bias about any of that?

I'm not even going to entertain you. We all know about dazzy vision.

You've seen me play football?

Nice win for Leicester, sees them through to the last 16 but Spurs comprehensively beaten by Monaco and are out.

Someone dig out the posts giving us shit about going out to Monaco... at least we were in the knock out stages then!!!

FOYS

Deary me...

[tweet]801529908057047045[/tweet]

That's so lame. I wonder if footballers look at this stuff afterwards and cringe?

I wouldn't feel too bad if I were an Arsenal fan, finish 2nd and they'll get Barca of course, but first would get them Bayern Munich this year.

That's almost as embarrassing as his performance st Old Trafford on Saturday!

We're in an odd spell. 3 draws on the bounce. Need to win Sunday and start the ball rolling again. Not too fussed if we finish second in the group as iPaul says some tough teams finishing second as well this year.

I wouldn't feel too bad if I were an Arsenal fan, finish 2nd and they'll get Barca of course, but first would get them Bayern Munich this year.

Yeah, right now it would be an easy pick for Arsenal.

Good God, we've been atrocious in the past few weeks...this year it won't be as easy for us to win the Bundesliga title as it has been last year. We've lost the first place last Saturday and unless we improve a lot we won't take it back soon...

Yesterday was an embarrassment. Fair play to Rostov. They deserverd that win.

Deary me...

[tweet]801529908057047045[/tweet]

But...but... it's so unlike Arsenal players to do that....

(looks a page earlier and having the same discussion)

Yeah, right now it would be an easy pick for Arsenal.

Good God, we've been atrocious in the past few weeks...this year it won't be as easy for us to win the Bundesliga title as it has been last year. We've lost the first place last Saturday and unless we improve a lot we won't take it back soon...

Yesterday was an embarrassment. Fair play to Rostov. They deserverd that win.

I take your point although 'Atrocious' seems a bit extreme, but you'll be much better by February.