NEurope
RedShell

Has gaming on other platforms/PC lowered your appreciation of Nintendo's software?

I've noticed some people that used to be pretty big Nintendo fans have seemingly stopped playing Nintendo games since they started gaming on other platforms, and more perplexing is how some don't even appear to acknowledge the merits of any of Nintendo's recent titles. :blank:

Obviously the software drought situation on both 3DS and Wii U has often been atrocious, and as a result many have looked to other places for their gaming fix during these times (myself included) but I just don't get how doing so could then make you not want to check out the great 3DS/Wii U games when they do eventually come out. ::shrug:

If anything it's made me anticipate and enjoy Nintendo's games even more!

The fact that some old-school Nintendo fans are choosing to miss out on titles like MK8, Smash Bros. and now Splatoon, boggles my mind. :shakehead

I suppose with MK and Smash it could just be a case of it feeling like, been there done that, but Splatoon is fresh as you like... seriously, it's super Goddamn fresh. :hehe:

So yeah, just curious as to what reasons people have for losing their interest in Nintendo specifically upon gaming elsewhere, is it just a case of not enough time for everything, changing tastes, or something else?

Has gaming on other platforms/PC lowered your appreciation of Nintendo's software?

No, Nintendo has lowered my appreciation of Nintendo's software.

The fact that some old-school Nintendo fans are choosing to miss out on titles like MK8, Smash Bros. and now Splatoon, boggles my mind.?

See, I bought a Wii U for Smash Bros and I regret it...the game turned out to be Smash Bros.

Then I played MK 8 at my mate's...and it turned out to be Mario Kart.

I played Super Mario 3D World at my mate's...and it turned out to be Super Mario.

just realized that you said this in your post :D

While this is a good thing for some, it is incredibly boring for me.

Splatoon does look good. However, there are certain aspects that make me not want the game, but this doesn't belong here.

Nintendo doesn't bring enough new or rather enough "more advanced experiences" to the table.

I appreciate the fact that their games are critically acclaimed, however there's not enough "new" for me.

Then there was the news that Splatoon was Wii U's biggest new IP launch...I don't even know about another new IP....

Edited by drahkon

Very much agreed. If you look back to say, the N64, when there was so much new being released and Nintendo were at the top of their game...oh man. It feels these days that Nintendo are mostly about tightening and polishing their existing IP and constructs. I'm a little bored of it all, to be honest. Smash and Super Mario Bros-esque titles in particular have not advanced sufficiently to remain interesting to me 15+ years on.

I don't appreciate them any more than I have done in the past. Ever since I had my own income I have been a multiformat gamer as I believe there are many great experiences to be had across all the platforms.

Being a fanboy is easily one of the worst things about this hobby.

The titles you mention are multiplayer ones. You have to remember that many people on here are older gamers and as such don't have the luxury of local multiplayer, which is where some of these games come into their own.

While you can play these online, most people would like to have the banter and having a laugh while playing them and that's where the whole voice chat argument comes into play. I think a lot of the gamers who have left Nintendo would have picked up and played these titles more if they could have a laugh while playing them.

If you look at the PS4 owners on here, most have their hands full of games that offer at least 20+ hours of single player content and usually a bunch of online options. So you have games to keep people occupied over a large period of time and then 9 times out of 10 there is another game waiting in the wings because the release schedule is pretty packed, what with retail, download and PS+ stuff happening on a regular basis.

Yes and no

I certainly do not feel the need to get any third party game on the WiiU - i have Assassin's Creed 4 and Arkham Origins, of which i regret the decision due to cut content, unavailable content and some online features

Other Third Party titles (ie Indie ones) don't matter as much and so off screen play is a feature the others do not

but in general Nintendo games have a very unique feel to them that is often something you will not find on other consoles or PC, so that is something that for me won't change, so Gaming on other platforms hasn't put me off Nintendo as such...........

BUT

Nintendo have put me off their consoles due to a reluctance to follow the trend set by others, i understand the quest for being unique, but sometimes what the competition offer is great and shouldn't be shunned just for the sake of going your own way - its the same problem i have with DC's handling of their Moviverse and Arrowverse - needlessly not doing what Marvel have done just to be different!

Nintendo have actively done this with online! they want to encourage social gatherings but do so at the expense of online features, they avoid voice chat for some reason (potentially fear of paedophiles) when others have tried and tested methods that work and don't have any legal problems, nintendo just don't copy them even when its hurting them

Worse still because they haven't courted third parties and have lost them to others for various known and unknown reasons they are now relying solely on first party support. This reliance shows up several problems; One is how slow releases seem with only first party, it gives an air of a lack of games to people

secondly and far worse, it can induce franchise fatigue. Whilst some franchises aren't churning out as regular as say the likes of certain AAA titles (COD, AC) because of no other none nintendo games coming out it gives the impression that the same games are coming all the time.

Rightly or wrongly it all adds up to a negative view of the company

Its all made so much more glaringly bad by how they are just so good with handhelds, they decimate the competition to the point they have a monopoly, but with consoles......christ they've lost it, its like a different company is handling the management (have they outsourced to Capita? everyone else seems to be secretly run by them)

Nintendo games used to be cutting edge. They used to be groundbreaking and generation defining. When they get back to that I'm sure I'll appreciate their software as much as I used to.

I was never exclusively Nintendo so nothing has changed for me in relation to other consoles and my PC but my appreciation for Nintendo as a whole has gone down. I think its partially personal taste but I just dont enjoy their games nearly as much as I used to. I find them very samey and have lost a lot of interest. I wont be buying their next console anyway.

I've had fun with my PS1, PS2, PS3 and Dreamcast.. but never really to the same level that I've had with my Nintendo formats!

When I look at the PS4 or XBOX One, I genuinely feel nothing :blank: I'm not saying there isn't quality gaming available on those platforms, and it would be impossible to judge either without even having played them, but I just can't get excited about them in the same way Nintendo have continuously provided me with joy and surprise over the years :hehe:

To be honest, I'm probably finding myself appreciating Nintendo more than I ever have before. Growing up, getting a job, moving out, getting a dog, getting married.. all of these things change your life in so many ways, including the amount of time you get to spend with your favourite hobbies. With significantly less time to play games these days, I'm finding that Nintendo's level of output is perfect for my needs and I'd struggle to keep up with a multitude of games across various platforms.

It's actually comforting picking up the latest Mario or Zelda knowing that I'm in for a great time, whilst also having my heart strings pulled by things that I've grown up with over the years and reminding me of all the fun I've had with these franchises :smile:

While you can play these online, most people would like to have the banter and having a laugh while playing them and that's where the whole voice chat argument comes into play. I think a lot of the gamers who have left Nintendo would have picked up and played these titles more if they could have a laugh while playing them.
Yeah, and I totally get that, but I mean you still had a laugh during your Splatoon marathon, no?

Surely you wouldn't be playing so much otherwise.

Anyway, not that I don't appreciate your contribution, Hero-of-Time, but you're clearly not the target audience for this thread. :heh:

Nintendo games used to be cutting edge. They used to be groundbreaking and generation defining. When they get back to that I'm sure I'll appreciate their software as much as I used to.
Think you might be expecting just a wee bit too much there. :hehe: It's not so easy to be groundbreaking and generation defining these days, especially when you're pretty much single-handedly responsible for all of the groundbreaking and generation defining stuff that has gone before. ;)

I don't think I've played a game on a Nintendo system since possibly 2012. It's strange but my gaming tastes and what I want to play these days has drastically changed from back in the previous generation when I would jump from playing the Wii, to the 360 to the PS3 (before it died on me) and I got a lot of enjoyment out of many games on the Wii, including Nintendo's own output but that seemed to diminish towards the end of that console's lifecycle (well after Xenoblade Chronicles really).

It's a stark contrast to how I was, as I say, a few years back when I was reviewing games for the Wii/DS/3DS for another site but I feel the 3DS burned me and once bitten, twice very much shy from giving Nintendo money for the Wii U and anything so far.

But in changing my gaming habits, I've found the same sort of experiences I would get from Mario, Zelda or Metroid in other games and even found some of the other experiences to be more enjoyable than those titles from Nintendo. I think their over-reliance on stalwart franchises with little evolution (and in the case of Zelda, some missteps) and seeing that third parties and even the other first parties in Sony and Microsoft can in fact make games that not only match the calibre of Nintendo's output but also surpass it has seem my wants and desires to play Nintendo's own titles diminish to zero.

So you could say that, yes, playing on other consoles has lowered my appreciation of Nintendo's software to an extent. But then again, I can't really make that call as I haven't played any of their titles in years. I will say that Splatoon does look like a lot of fun and it's been a while since I've genuinely been intrigued by a Nintendo title but it's not enough for me to want to go out and purchase the console and game.

As I say, other developers have very much stepped up to the plate to take Nintendo on and, in my eyes, I feel that many of the games coming out now, be they retail or indie download titles, are giving the sort of experience I came to expect from Nintendo but didn't feel they were providing when I stopped supporting them and nor do I really see much now that is going to change my opinion. It's a real shame as I have many, many good memories of playing Nintendo games but I feel that they are in need of a drastic change to bring back the kinds of games that made everyone, including probably just about everyone here, have those fond memories.

edit: it was something I was going to make a thread about, how I've seen my gaming tastes change over the last 2 or so years and what I wanted out of the games I played, but I never got round to doing it. Maybe I should do just that.

The opposite. I probably like Nintendo more now than I ever did. I've owned pretty much every computer and gaming console ever, and always played most worthy game... But the last gen or two I just built up this huge backlog, and now I'm being more selective in what I play, and it turns out pretty much I just want to play nintendo games.

I don't think they have as many defining games as they used to, but I don't think the industry does at all. It's stagnated massively in that regard. But I'd still say nintendo provide the freshest most original content; over the past few years stuff like Wii Sports, motion gaming in general, the lifestyle games and most definitely splatoon. But with things being the way they are, it's hard to do loads more, and now it's more about 'services' and online.

But this gen I'm more Nintendo than ever, I think the ps4 is the most disappointing games console I've ever owned (and I had saturn, Jaguar, Mega CD etc)... probably more relative, if I was 10 years younger it'd probably be different; but there's barely anything on it I want to play; they'll come, but it's not there yet, even the Xbox 1 has some interesting titles like Titanfall, Sunset Over Drive and I want the new tomb raider etc... PS4? Fifa!!! So this has led me to appreciate nintendo even more, and with the VC replaying their old ones. An because I'm way busier than I used to be, that's more than enough for me.

They make way too many mistakes and they have a lot of catching up to do in far too many regards, but where it matters, they suit my tastes perfectly.

Yeah, and I totally get that, but I mean you still had a laugh during your Splatoon marathon, no?

Surely you wouldn't be playing so much otherwise.

Anyway, not that I don't appreciate your contribution, Hero-of-Time, but you're clearly not the target audience for this thread. :heh:

Think you might be expecting just a wee bit too much there. :hehe: It's not so easy to be groundbreaking and generation defining these days, especially when you're pretty much single-handedly responsible for all of the groundbreaking and generation defining stuff that has gone before. ;)

It's more that their game design used to be groundbreaking. I appreciate that the jump to HD has probably set them back a few years as development costs soared (and as such they've gone for safer experiences) but games such as Xenoblade, Zelda and even Splatoon show that they can still do it. What they need to do is ensure that they get those games out much earlier in the generation.

It feels these days that Nintendo are mostly about tightening and polishing their existing IP and constructs.

The sad thing is: This isn't really something bad...polishing games is great and as we all know, Nintendo can achieve this like no other.

But as you said:

I'm a little bored of it all, to be honest. Smash and Super Mario Bros-esque titles in particular have not advanced sufficiently to remain interesting to me 15+ years on.

When they use their skills only to dwell in the past their output becomes - or rather has become - stale...boring. Not for everyone, of course, but for a lot of gamers.

I was too young to appreciate Nintendo's gloriousness (is this a word?) back in the day. Never owned an N64 but I've played lots of games when I was older, and man...they sure were on top of everything.

The Game Cube was the first Nintendo console I ever bought on my own and it was amazing.

Then came the Wii and somehow they lost me. And its successor...urgh.

I'd have to say "Not really".

To me, "Nintendo" just doesn't mean what it used to. Specifically thinking of the N64 days, I remember a widely-phrase used in magazines: "Nintendo makes the best games"... I spent years believing that was true, but am not sure it still is. Their games are very, very polished, yes, but I don't think they offer what they used to.

When I bought an N64, I was absolutely convinced it was the best hardware about, with software teams striving to make the best games. To me, what I saw on PlayStation just couldn't compete with Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time. The controller was unusual for the time, but I had the sense Nintendo designed it like that out of necessity, rather than a fear of the "Red Ocean" - and as we saw, analogue sticks (and rumble) did indeed become the industry standard.

It was a similar story with the GameCube. I was perfectly happy that the hardware could hold its own against the others, and when I played the games I was even more convinced. Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX - very little that generation gave me reason to think Nintendo weren't still the best.

That all changed with the Wii. Of course, this is all old ground and I don't want to repeat myself here, but despite the quality of games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3, I suddenly got a sense that Nintendo weren't up there with the others.

I like the Wii U a lot more than the Wii, but there are three main problems for me:

1) Hardware - For me, it's a big, big problem that Nintendo doesn't keep up with the wider industry in terms of power and architecture (and to some extent, controllers). If Nintendo's machine could play top-rate versions of current multi-format games, there would be less sense that "the industry is elsewhere" (which is my feeling at the moment).

2) The level of ambition in the software - When I played Mario 64, I knew that was as amazing as games could be at the time. When I played Super Mario 3D World, I thought it was a very polished and fun platformer... There's nothing wrong with "fun", of course, but I no longer feel inspired by Nintendo games.

3) Tonal range - This year's remake of Majora's Mask was a revelation, as it featured so many levels of emotion throughout. Often exciting, sometimes dark and frequently strange. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that Nintendo's games are wholesome (and not bloodthirsty), but I don't think they're allowing themselves a full tonal range at the moment. When every other game seems to be a colourful 2.5D platformer starring Luigi, Donkey Kong, Kirby or Yoshi, you know there are certain things that won't be in it. On the other hand, those feelings might have been in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime or Twilight Princess.

Overall, I feel the wider industry is always worth keeping an eye on. There is always going to be a genre somebody can do better than Nintendo, but generally I feel Nintendo is turning people away, rather than this being much to do with Sony or Microsoft.

I've noticed some people that used to be pretty big Nintendo fans have seemingly stopped playing Nintendo games since they started gaming on other platforms, and more perplexing is how some don't even appear to acknowledge the merits of any of Nintendo's recent titles. :blank:

Unfortunately, this.

I enjoyed the Wii era and it fitted in nicely around my social life. I wouldn't say that I was gaming ALL of the time then, so to have the Wii there and to play the odd game was enough for me.

I've got a bit more time now and I've got a hunger to play games. Unfortunately, I'm finding Nintendo's output to not have the same impact on me as it has done in the past. I want something with a bit more depth to it and Nintendo just aren't providing that for me, imo. I didn't like Mario Kart 8 as it feels really barebones in places, I didn't get on with Smash Bros because...I feel like I've already experienced it already. There's not enough there to bring me back or to keep my attention for a long amount of time.

Splatoon would have been useful to me 18 months ago. But...and this is a big but...The Witcher 3 is here and it is EVERYTHING that I wanted in a game. That depth, storyline, characters, setting, atmosphere, world building, combat, adventuring that I wanted from, say Zelda, is all there. Splatoon may be a good game and maybe even a great one, but The Witcher is probably the best game I've ever played in my life. Once I've finished with The Witcher, I've got Batman to play this month. There's just too much other stuff to play.

I don't feel as if Nintendo make the best games anymore and I'm finding that I'm actually looking at the complete package for a game and seeing that Nintendo actually come up short in a lot of areas. I don't think it's a change in taste because these are things that I've always looked for. Immersive settings, atmosphere, dialogue, characters, a strong soundtrack, gameplay that fits in with the world it aims to create...these all fit in with the past Nintendo games that I loved, such as Eternal Darkness, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Nintendo may be good at mechanics, but they skimp out big time in other important areas these days. I honestly can't remember the last time I seriously enjoyed a Nintendo game for the story.

I can't really say that I'm really missing Nintendo to be honest, because there are certain games that give me the same sorta feeling that previous Nintendo games used to give me. The Witcher gives me the same feeling as Ocarina and Majora. Hohokum is sorta like an Electroplankton with a point, which was a handheld game that I loved - that's saying a lot because I historically don't get along with handhelds. If things carry on the way they're going, I very much doubt I'll be picking up the next Nintendo system. I'd rather use that money to buy games on a system I already own, of which there are plenty of options and diversity.

Gaming on the PC severely lowered my appreciation for the PS4 and the Xbox One, actually :heh: I kinda realised that most of the games those consoles have also exist on the PC, and in more practical form. All I'm missing is the very few exclusives.

Every time I feel like Nintendo is growing stale, they pull off something like Ganondorf's bitchin' design in Hyrule Warriors, or an amusing Nintendo Direct, or Mario 3D World, and I'm reminded that I still love those crazy dudes. They're just going through a rough patch, is all.

I actually found myself in the situation a lot of the people here do last year, when DK:TF was released. The thought of another 2D plat former tipped me over the edge, and I thought I'd lost my passion for Nintendo home consoles for good.

Bought my Xbox One, loved all the experiences it gave me with Titanfall, Ryse, MGS and what not, and I would even make a point of using it to watch Netflix, so I didn't have to switch my Wii U on.

I was fed up, and the thought of playing through the exact same system on Mario Kart 8 (do all the cups on 3 stars, unlock mirror mode) filled me with dread, wasn't interested.

I was then involved in a car accident which banged me up pretty good, I was house ridden for a few days and, to cheer myself up, picked up MK8 as I thought it would probably be fun after all and, well, I didn't have anything better to do.

Fast forward a year later, and I don't think I've appreciated Nintendo more. I'll be getting Batman for the One, but apart from that, nothing on it or PS4 excites me at all. I have so little time to game any more that when I do I want to have fun and know I will enjoy myself. And I do on Nintendo platforms and games! Gaming is a hobby, and a hobby is supposed to be fun, whether that's with Nintendo or not :)

Falling out of love with them has made it all the more sweeter and me more appreciative of what they produce now I'm snuggled up back in bed with them :)

To answer the question @RedShell...

No, Nintendo has lowered my appreciation of Nintendo's software...

This. Just this really. Nintendo's multiplayer offerings just don't cut the mustard.

Mario Kart doesn't have a decent Battle Mode and without being able to chat to your friends whilst racing and having a laugh together it just feels soulless and empty... same with Smash.

I reckon if I see Splatoon at under £10 I'll give it a go. Otherwise it's not worth my money in my eyes.

Whereas I loved Pikmin 3 and SM3DW, they should have had online. I thought Nintendoland was the most boring game I've ever played but if it had online and voice-chat I'd have played it for the laughs with friends.

The only home console I've not owned (of the big 3 and Sega) is the PS3 so it's not because of having played other consoles. It's because Nintendo haven't progressed.

Edited by Kav

Interesting stuff, cheers for all the replies.

A lot of mentions of the N64, I'm assuming most of your first experiences of Nintendo were with the N64/GCN, rather than the NES/SNES. :blank:

It seems those that were gaming earlier are also the ones who are actually less likely to become disillusioned/bored with Nintendo, which is weird. :heh:

I also think some people have set their expectations of Nintendo way too high. Don't be at all surprised if you continue to be disappointed in the future, as it looks like it'll take a miracle for them to please you again. :grin:

Interesting stuff, cheers for all the replies.

A lot of mentions of the N64, I'm assuming most of your first experiences of Nintendo were with the N64/GCN, rather than the NES/SNES. :blank:

It seems those that were gaming earlier are also the ones who are actually less likely to become disillusioned/bored with Nintendo, which is weird. :heh:

I also think some people have set their expectations of Nintendo way too high. Don't be at all surprised if you continue to be disappointed in the future, as it looks like it'll take a miracle for them to please you again. :grin:

Not me, my first experience was the NES and I have become very bored with Nintendo.

Super Mario 3D World just felt like 3D Land on the big screen, Mario Kart 8 just felt like Mario Kart and I am really not all that interested in 2D platformers. I'm sure none of the recent Nintendo games are bad games (SM3DW and MK8 are both good) but I feel like I've done it before.

Also, now that I've discovered Destiny and voice chat and teaming up with other N-E peeps it's made me realise just how ridiculously behind the curve Nintendo are with regards to online.

I haven't turned my Wii U on since last summer (so nearly a year :o ) and probably won't again until Xenoblade Chronicles X is released and then Zelda.

I don't think people are expecting too much, just a lot more than they are giving. Nobody is expecting them to produce N64 style groundbreaking "first of its kind" 3D games; we just want them to have more new/exciting games. Most of their big games were made in the SNES/64 era and they've basically just polished and polished. They know their IP is strong so they have rested on their laurels.

Yeah I started with Atari 2600 and NES. If anything me having been gaming for this long just lets me remember when Nintendo actually interested me.

I was exclusively Nintendo right through until the Gamecube era (ok, i got a Mega Drive over a SNES and have no regrets to that). But since then, Nintendo have really fallen through in terms of what they offer gaming-wise. They are relying too much on Mario, which has made that franchise quite stale. Super Mario 3D World was good, but felt it lacked the magic that Nintendo are known for. Look at Super Mario 64, Sunshine and the Galaxy games to see what i mean. Even Zelda is starting to feel stale, i couldn't even finish Skyward Sword because of a few factors (controls were one). Now that's never happened before, and i hope with the new Zelda it doesn't happen again. Twilight Princess was the realistic Zelda people wanted, but the whole of Hyrule (including the towns) felt barren. Yes, there were people about but they felt lifeless. They have a wide range of franchises to use, but won't develop them. Ok, they are probably making a new Starfox. But no Metroid or F-Zero.

Nintendo started to go wrong (for me) with the Wii, they chose to distance themselves from the 2 other major competitors and go in there own direction. A bold move, which did ultimately pay off financially with the Wii, but is showing major signs of failure with the WiiU. The main issue is, that they are not advertising it. They are choosing not to advertise their own products, which to me is a bold but dumb move. Advertise it, show what the system can do. People were thinking when the tablet was revealed that it was an add-on for the Wii.

Gaming-wise, Nintendo are still best with their older games. Playing Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time and Super Metroid you can feel the magic. Playing 3D World, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers you can feel the magic is there, but not as great as it once was. I've not got Splatoon yet, and probably won't for some time. Plus there are severe droughts on the WiiU, the last game i got for it was Captain Toad in December, the next is Wooly World in June. That's 6 months without a game that interests me, not good enough. It doesn't help that developers are shunning the console due to poor sales, and i don't really blame them for part. But i do blame them for the part as well, lack of games means lack of sales.

I did ultimately move into duel console gaming (having a Nintendo handheld didn't really count) around 2006 and got an Xbox 360, and in 2013 a PS4. I did get a Wii about a year after the 360, and a WiiU a year before the PS4. No regrets getting either, in fact the PS4 has re-invigorated my love of gaming which i thought was ultimately dying towards the end of the 360. Witcher 3 is one of them wow games, that if i only had Nintendo i would have missed out on. Same for the likes of Destiny, Driveclub and inFamous. All are cracking games, and something i would have missed out on.

The only area (i believe) Nintendo are doing right, is the 3DS. But that's showing signs of fatigue as well these days.

Don't get me wrong, there will always be a place for Nintendo in my gaming life. But in this modern age of gaming (and in my opinion), you simply cannot be Nintendo exclusive these days.

If anything, it's made me appreciate Nintendo more. There are many fantastic games on other consoles, and I did start to lose my love during the Wii era, but following the 360/PS3 which started to burn me out on gaming in general, the Wii U and 3DS brought me completely back. Nintendo's output over the last 4 years have showed me what gaming really is. While the games on the other consoles are technically good, they just didn't exude the joy Nintendo did and that's why my love of gaming started to die.

That said, a sequel to Red Dead Redemption would get me to finally drop cash on a PS4 in a heartbeat.

Edited by Serebii

Nintendo use to push the boundaries of gaming. The best graphics, the biggest levels (which use to be a big thing back in the day, although going by everyone's reaction to open-world Zelda maybe not much has changed), the most innovative gameplay and - most importantly - the desire to take risks. Hell, even narratively Majora's Mask and Metroid were fantastic experiences.

Now? They don't do any of those bar the gameplay part and if The Witcher 3, Minecraft, Bloodborne/Souls and literally hundreds of absolutely wonderful indie games have taught me, innovation in gameplay is nowhere near as rare as they use to be.

And even when Nintendo do have a fantastic new title like Splatoon, it's still plagued with legacy problems like a lack of voice chat.

And the console's UI just feels aweful and cheap. And all those different bloody control methods, lord, no. I don't need that clutter. Essentially when it comes down to it, the PS4/Xbone just work (you know, when the internet isn't down hur hur) and along with a debatable first-party output, they have multiplatforms and indie games to sate any need. They have sharing functions that are bloody brilliant. Features guaranteed across all titles like voice chat. Game subscription services that in Plus' case basically give you one game a week. Cloud saves/ Live streaming - holy crap, I've watched so much Trials of Osiris these past few weeks. And Playstation Now! Sutff like that works. And VR, it's amazing. What's going to happen to that in the future. And all these exciting areas, Nintendo is either playing catch up badly or not bothering at all.

Nintendo treat games only like toys whereas the rest of the industry actually respects the medium to do more.