N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure I'll get one as I'm still a Nintendo fan and will need my fix of certain games but I just hope there's more for my tastes than there has been overall for the last few years. A revival of one or two of their dormant racing franchises would go a long way to getting me hyped but if we see things like Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars or some less than stellar Mario sports titles, including the Olympics, that's going to be less encouraging for me personally.

You're banned.

The Game Boy, PlayStation 2, DS, Wii and 3DS were all less powerful than the competition yet all "won" their generation. The Switch is packing a huge amount of tech for a (likely) affordable price, and the lesser graphical specs are nothing new for the company.

Did the Game Boy really have any substantial competition? I can't even think of anything else (handheld) around that time :heh:

Still, if you take away handhelds (as Nintendo could release a turkey and it would still probably sell better than anything else), doesn't the number of greater-spec consoles that "won" outsell those that were lower-spec?

Did the Game Boy really have any substantial competition? I can't even think of anything else (handheld) around that time :heh:

Still, if you take away handhelds (as Nintendo could release a turkey and it would still probably sell better than anything else), doesn't the number of greater-spec consoles that "won" outsell those that were lower-spec?

Game gear and Atari Lynx were rocking colors way before the Game boy. They had terrible battery lives though.

Come on now. It's bound to have party chat. You and your friends will enjoy chatting to each other while playing games; as soon as you input a 16 character code, upload a form of ID and pinky promise you'll be good after each message sent.

Game gear and Atari Lynx were rocking colors way before the Game boy. They had terrible battery lives though.

"substantial" :heh:

Come on now. It's bound to have party chat. You and your friends will enjoy chatting to each other while playing games; as soon as you input a 16 character code, upload a form of ID and pinky promise you'll be good after each message sent.

"substantial" :heh:

Haha fair point. Sonic on the Game Gear was exciting though.

With all due respect though they have barely shown the thing/its games etc.

I'm thinking about their current predicament, my current gaming situation and what we do know. We know it's now in between the WiiU and One in terms of power. We know it's a console that you can take out with you and then dock at home to play on a big screen. I'm not in it for the handheld factor whatsoever. This is very much a successor to the WiiU for me and from what we've learned today it's not much of a step up. My instinct is telling me that there will be a flurry of third party games at launch, then the support will dry up as the other consoles leave it for dust. The WiiU's lifespan was short and support dried up for it too early. Today's information doesn't make me instantly think that this will change.

To some, the third party games won't be important. To me, I'm questioning the value of a Nintendo-only machine. I didn't get good value for money out of the WiiU and I'm dubious about Nintendo fixing that this time around. I look back at their previous consoles (like the N64, GameCube and the Wii) and just think to myself how much poorer each console would have been without the third parties chipping in. For me, it's a major issue and the lack of power available to the system (from a home console perspective) worries me.

We've definitely expressed different tastes in the past and, with your love for PS4, it's probably going to take more from Nintendo to lure you into getting hyped for Switch than perhaps the more devoted Nintendo crowd. My concern at the moment is that I'm probably more Nintendo focused than you and even I'm feeling that same desperation in finding something to get excited about :hmm:

Chances are that I'll be frothing at the mouth come January and fully on board but the dynamic has definitely changed for me now that I've joined you, and many others, in the land of PS4. I'm no longer concerned about what third party games will make it across as I'll be able to indulge those needs on Sony's system but it does affect the potential success of the Switch and how much quality content we'll eventually see for it. If it turns out to be another Wii U, that's going to be a huge disappointment despite me enjoying the console, for the most part (though I also wasn't that excited for it back in 2012 and didn't fancy the gamepad at first sight)

I'm sure I'll get one as I'm still a Nintendo fan and will need my fix of certain games but I just hope there's more for my tastes than there has been overall for the last few years. A revival of one or two of their dormant racing franchises would go a long way to getting me hyped but if we see things like Mario Party, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars or some less than stellar Mario sports titles, including the Olympics, that's going to be less encouraging for me personally.

It's interesting how we've both evolved and are both feeling similar sorts of things. I WANT Nintendo to entice me. Above all, I just want good value for money. I don't really want to spend £200 on a console and then only buy a handful of games for it. That would be a waste of funds, a waste of living room space and it could be money that's better used elsewhere. I wouldn't say I'm anti-Nintendo, but rather that I'm frustrated with them.

I loved my Game Gear :(

I had one! I just remember the fucker eating up all of my batteries. Abysmal battery life! It was an ok machine. I believe I had some kind of Master System converter to allow you to play those on the Game Gear. That was pretty sweet. Decent screen quality from what I remember.

Sure, if you take away handhelds for some arbitrary reason, but I'm not sure why you would, especially as the Switch is for all intents and purposes a handheld device. PSP and Vita also had the PlayStation brand behind them so were hardly doomed from the outset.

Were Master System and Mega Drive more powerful than NES and SNES? If so add the latter two to the very long list of less powerful hardware that won a generation.

My instinct is telling me that there will be a flurry of third party games at launch, then the support will dry up as the other consoles leave it for dust. The WiiU's lifespan was short and support dried up for it too early. Today's information doesn't make me instantly think that this will change

Sales numbers will dictate whether third parties will stick around or not. If it flies off the shelves then they'll stick around, if it does Wii U numbers, they won't. It's too early to make that kind of call.

It doesn't matter how less powerful consoles performed in the past - it's not why they did well.

The GameBoy, PS2, DS, Wii and 3DS all had vast support and/or a unique driving factor.

The Switch's success will again be determined by the same factors. Not because it's cheaper or less powerful.

Were Master System and Mega Drive more powerful than NES and SNES? If so add the latter two to the very long list of less powerful hardware that won a generation.

Depends on region. The NES absolutely bombed over here IIRC. I think the Mega Drive was also more successful over here/the US than the SNES, but could be wrong.

Also, I think the SNES was more powerful than the Mega Drive.

Edited by Goafer

It doesn't matter how less powerful consoles performed in the past - it's not why they did well.

The GameBoy, PS2, DS, Wii and 3DS all had vast support and/or a unique driving factor.

The Switch's success will again be determined by the same factors. Not because it's cheaper or less powerful.

Yeah so often you see people mistaking coincidence for causation. Past consoles didn't sell the most became they were low power, they did so because of something else. Saying 'they happened to be the lowest power' does not imply that another low spec console will be safe. Nobody is actively seeking a low power console.

Edited by Sheikah

It's interesting how we've both evolved and are both feeling similar sorts of things. I WANT Nintendo to entice me. Above all, I just want good value for money. I don't really want to spend £200 on a console and then only buy a handful of games for it. That would be a waste of funds, a waste of living room space and it could be money that's better used elsewhere. I wouldn't say I'm anti-Nintendo, but rather that I'm frustrated with them.

Nintendo will surely have enough to entice me (heck, the glimpse of a new 3D Mario was enough :red:) but there's a frustrating consistency in owning a Nintendo console over the last couple of decades where there's plenty of fun to be had but there's always deficiancies :hmm:

I've suspected for quite a while that the Nintendo Switch would largely be a repackaged Wii U, in terms of power at least, much like how the Wii was basically a repackaged Gamecube. The Wii obviously had the innovative new controller to add the magic so it'll be interesting to see what the Switch can do in addition to the portability, a selling point that probably won't be particularly influencial for a lot of people.

We're all hopeful of the Switch having the features many of us crave in addition to a diverse library of quality software but I had to laugh when reading a tweet last week from the spoof Kaz Hirai account.

Nintendo’s December releases include a single player Mario game with no offline play and a Mario Maker game with no online level sharing.

Although I found it funny, it's also irritating, and worrying, that Nintendo are still making decisions that leave us scratching our heads and the appearance of Friend Codes in Super Mario Run is surely further evidence that everyone may need to temper their expectations for the online capabilities of the latest console.

Ultimately it will be the games that are most important for me and the fact that Nintendo can concentrate their efforts entirely on one device should lead to better results in terms of output but we've all experienced several times in the past when Nintendo have released very little for a while and we go into a Direct or conference ready for them to open the lid on some amazing games they've been working on only to be left wondering what they've been doing with their time when the reveals are lacklustre ::shrug:

Nintendo still make my favourite games but while they've outdone themselves in plenty of games, they've also ruined the reputations of several franchises that you can no longer rely on for quality. Mario Tennis and Paper Mario are recent examples, as well as Metroid when you consider Federation Force, but even something like Luigi's Mansion 2 couldn't live up to the first game.

With certain game series on dodgy ground and a collection of franchises, which I highlighted in a previous post, not really appealing to me, I quite rightly feel concerned about what may be ahead, especially when I'm not as happy about the aesthetics of the device as most others.

I realise that, I was just replying to this...

Sadly, if these rumours are to be believed then it is becoming increasingly more apparent that the real new story is Nintendo dropping out of the console race.

My point was, lesser specs doesn't mean they're dropping out of the race.

Sure, if you take away handhelds for some arbitrary reason, but I'm not sure why you would, especially as the Switch is for all intents and purposes a handheld device. PSP and Vita also had the PlayStation brand behind them so were hardly doomed from the outset.

It wasn't an arbitrary reason, it was simply because Nintendo has managed to make the handheld market their own so that's a given. If we want to include handhelds to make it more 'accurate', we should include pre-Nintendo consoles as well then :heh:

But I was legit just curious about the power comparisons because I can't remember. It was by no means a way of trying to stack the deck, I was genuinely just curious and lacking decent memory.

It also means nothing. No console has "won" or "lost" purely based on power. It's an intellectual curiosity, but either which way it means nothing in isolation.

I had one! I just remember the fucker eating up all of my batteries. Abysmal battery life! It was an ok machine. I believe I had some kind of Master System converter to allow you to play those on the Game Gear. That was pretty sweet. Decent screen quality from what I remember.

Yeah I had 2 big rechargable battery packs for my Game Gear. I never had the Master System converter but I did have the TV adaptor so I could watch very fuzzy tv shows while in the car and then immediately get car sick and have to put it away.

I had a Gear and a Lynx; they definitely were competitors to it, especially the game gear.

As for this news, disappointing, but unsurprising. I find it quite bizarre how PS4 owners are now saying as it's underpowered they may not get 3rd parties.... why would you care? You already have a machine for that. The switch would surely be for Nintendo games and that doesn't change because it's a little less powerful than originally rumoured.

I find it quite bizarre how PS4 owners are now saying as it's underpowered they may not get 3rd parties....

Because having 3rd parties and their games on board will make the device more attractive which in turn will make the device more successful.

And I think many gamers here want Nintendo to become successful again. As @Hero\-of\-Time said: We want Nintendo to do well in the market again.

Because having 3rd parties and their games on board will make the device more attractive which in turn will make the device more successful.

And I think many gamers here want Nintendo to become successful again. As @Hero\-of\-Time said: We want Nintendo to do well in the market again.

I understand that, and I think the same, but I mean people seem to be put off by it, not just wishing it had it, but putting them off getting it.