NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

This is going to be a massively boring question but does anybody know the rating of the Nintendo Switch power supply?

7/10

7/10

Should have gone for the 8/10 ;)

Why were you asking @V\. Amoleo and whilst I don't have the answer are you talking about a mains charger for the switch or the power supply to the dock? I imagine there will be a difference between the two - Switch is supposedly USB-C iirc though so I imagine any charger there would be similar to other USB devices?

Should have gone for the 8/10 ;)

Why were you asking @V.Amaleo and whilst I don't have the answer are you talking about a mains charger for the switch or the power supply to the dock? I imagine there will be a difference between the two - Switch is supposedly USB-C iirc though so I imagine any charger would meet be similar to other USB devices?

Yeah both the dock and Switch are USB C connectors. I was just wondering if it'd run directly from a wall socket that I have with USB outs so that I don't have to have yet another plug in an extension. They're rated at 1.5amp which is enough to charge an iPad. Just seems weird to imagine powering a console from it.

Yeah both the dock and Switch are USB C connectors. I was just wondering if it'd run directly from a wall socket that I have with USB outs so that I don't have to have yet another plug in an extension. They're rated at 1.5amp which is enough to charge an iPad. Just seems weird to imagine powering a console from it.

Ahhh! Hadn't realised they both were but that makes good sense. Do agree it seems a bit weird charging a console off USB - but will it somehow use both the battery's power in addition to the 'mains' power supplied to the dock? I don't even know the logistics of that if particularly possible.

Can you figure out from the battery/charge time? I can't find very much info with a little look around - tho tbh terms like 'power' and 'switch' aren't the best unique search terms and ESPECIALLY not so in context of each other :heh:

Apparently the battery is like 4310mAh capacity, and takes around 3 hours to charge supposedly. Can you just divide the capacity by charge time to get an output current? Obvs need to consider inefficiencies in the transformations too but still those numbers don't feel quite right to me; so I'm sure I've made a poor leap in my logic somewhere. What's supposed to be the max output of USB according to the standard? I understand there's the 'power only' output that's higher too, but again my knowledge of the subject on the whole is still lacking!

That game sucked. Nobody is asking for a remaster of that.

Well I'd buy it so I guess someone is. Is this where we argue for 4 pages over who's opinion is right or wrong? This is the Switch thread after all.

Also, it didn't suck. It was reviewed pretty well and whilst it may not have been to your personal tastes, a lot of people enjoyed it.

Ahhh! Hadn't realised they both were but that makes good sense. Do agree it seems a bit weird charging a console off USB - but will it somehow use both the battery's power in addition to the 'mains' power supplied to the dock? I don't even know the logistics of that if particularly possible.

Can you figure out from the battery/charge time? I can't find very much info with a little look around - tho tbh terms like 'power' and 'switch' aren't the best unique search terms and ESPECIALLY not so in context of each other :heh:

Apparently the battery is like 4310mAh capacity, and takes around 3 hours to charge supposedly. Can you just divide the capacity by charge time to get an output current? Obvs need to consider inefficiencies in the transformations too but still those numbers don't feel quite right to me; so I'm sure I've made a poor leap in my logic somewhere. What's supposed to be the max output of USB according to the standard? I understand there's the 'power only' output that's higher too, but again my knowledge of the subject on the whole is still lacking!

That depends on which USB standard you're talking about unfortunately. There's standard USB (which is 5v/500ma), USB BC (which is usually 5v/1.5a) and then finally there's USB PD (which has a varying voltage and ampage, found on MacBooks). It doesn't help that USB C can be used on USB 2-3.1 and any of the power standards, so that doesn't help me narrow it down.

My wall plugs are USB BC.

If we look at the NVIDIA Shield, which uses similar internals, the tablet device is USB BC and works with a normal phone charger. While the TV device uses a barrel connector and a voltage other than 5v.

La Noire is a really odd choice, i have it for the PC and played 6 hours before i uninstalled it

That said if its remastered and they tweek some of its issues (like the dialogue options and not being abe to restart conversations or return to question lines) it might be quite good! I do feel kind of forced to buy it so Rockstar continue support

GTAV could work on Switch, but i think GTA online could be the issue - the online for the Switch is unknown and then its not exactly going to work on the go is it?

I'd prefer Red Dead Redemption, but from what people are saying on Gaf the reason thats not had a remaster is because the code is such a mess (comparatively) it would need rebuilding for Ps4/Xbox/Switch.

I'd love to see Alien Isolation too, it could lend well to portable play (i basically played the game from corridor to corridor)

I don't mind remasters at all, its a relatively quick way to get a game library for the Switch, ideally i'd like every WiiU game to be ported so i can flog the WiiU

I think they very much demonstrated Switch as a portable home console in the initial reveal. And that had to be the hook. Yes GTA5 won't look quote as good on Switch although on the small screen I doubt you'd notice much of a difference, but can you play it on the way to work on PS4 or XB1. I would imagine a greater percentage of people would choose the Switch version of a game if like for like versions were released on all 3 consoles. We have had this debate before graphics vs portability?

Well I'd buy it so I guess someone is. Is this where we argue for 4 pages over who's opinion is right or wrong? This is the Switch thread after all.

Also, it didn't suck. It was reviewed pretty well and whilst it may not have been to your personal tastes, a lot of people enjoyed it.

It's the only Rockstar game I ever finished. So that's gotta count for something.

It was OK.

Can you figure out from the battery/charge time?

Apparently the battery is like 4310mAh capacity, and takes around 3 hours to charge supposedly. Can you just divide the capacity by charge time to get an output current?

surely we need to know the voltage as well?

Wii U is 15V*5a

wii u gamepad is 4.75V*1.6A

3DS is 4.6V*900mA

a battery for the Wii U with that power consumption would supply 75W right? that would require around 5000mah as far as I can tell? and I think that would only work for an hour.

So the Switch seems to work at Wii U levels (maybe a notch above) for three hours... very impressive considering the Wii U was already very power efficient, doesn't have the screen included, nor does it have speakers...

I presume my maths is very wrong here :D I'm too tired to go back and work this all out again, but if 4350mah was the right figure, 15v at 5A should charge it in an hour. Or a 5V 5A charge in 3 hours... or so....

In terms of GTA V, is it unreasonable to believe that they're not porting it over because they're going to announce GTA VI soon? After all, GTA V was released in 2013, making it almost four years old.

Or perhaps my theory of Retro Studios making a Nintendo-exclusive entry/remake holds some merit?

But a portable GTA 5, even if in some areas was "weaker" would still be really impressive and offering something that's never been offered before.

Rockstar have dabbled with portable GTA games before, both on and off of Nintendo consoles. Sure, they weren't comparable to GTAV, but they were comparable to the GTAs at the time. I'd be interested to see how well they sold. Maybe they didn't sell well enough for them to continue making portable games.

Rockstar have dabbled with portable GTA games before, both on and off of Nintendo consoles. Sure, they weren't comparable to GTAV, but they were comparable to the GTAs at the time. I'd be interested to see how well they sold. Maybe they didn't sell well enough for them to continue making portable games.

Chinatown wars didn't really sell well. It wasn't really comparable to the home console versions of the time though.

They did release a PSP GTA though but not sure how well that did?

I can see the reluctance if you look at the handheld market as one that has gotten smaller so maybe one would feel it wasn't worth it but 60 million 3DS sales still to me says that's a very big market to work with.

In some ways I think the 3DS doesn't tell a story in the sense it's power meant western third parties could never really see if there games would succeed in this smaller handheld market. The vita would of got a lot more games if it sold but it didn't.

The Switch I think now gives them a handheld platform to work with.

Edited by liger05

LA Noir? Might get that actually, it's been on my Steam wishlist for ages. Never gotten it because I used to see physical copies for pretty cheap, then had my mind set on those, but then they disappeared.

surely we need to know the voltage as well?

Wii U is 15V*5a = 75W?

wii u gamepad is 4.75V*1.6A = 7.6W?

3DS is 4.6V*900mA = 4.14W?

a battery for the Wii U with that power consumption would supply 75W right? that would require around 5000mah as far as I can tell? and I think that would only work for an hour.

So the Switch seems to work at Wii U levels (maybe a notch above) for three hours... very impressive considering the Wii U was already very power efficient, doesn't have the screen included, nor does it have speakers...

I presume my maths is very wrong here :D I'm too tired to go back and work this all out again, but if 4350mah was the right figure, 15v at 5A should charge it in an hour. Or a 5V 5A charge in 3 hours... or so....

I didn't think you'd need the voltage so much - besides which wouldn't we assume it around 5V if it's all using USB-C? Weirdly I do find this all interesting, but I can't help feel we're all missing some obvious piece of the puzzle...

This is going to be a massively boring question but does anybody know the rating of the Nintendo Switch power supply?

From what I could find very quickly online -

“AC Adapter input: AC 100 – 240 V, 50 / 60 Hz, 1 A is a power brick with worldwide compatibility. This heavily points towards the console being region-free,” suggests NeoGAF user Thraktor. Incidentally, the Wii U had the same specifications.

Source - http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/features/nintendo-switch-price-release-date-specifications-what-the-headlines-and-rumours-say-1648212

I really like that they've gone with the USB-C charger. Makes my life way easier in the future. I'll be getting a Samsung Galaxy S8 when it drops in april(?), so then I will have a USB-C charger in the bedroom, at work, and one always in my backpack. A unified future awaits!

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/582590/DiRT-4-Nintendo-Switch-UPDATE-Codemasters

Daily Star Online spoke to Senior Games Designer, Darren Hayward to find out if Codemasters fans can expect to see DiRT 4 coming to Nintendo Switch anytime in the future, and what the future holds for racing games on Nintendo's bold new console.

"Personally, I’ve got my Switch pre-ordered and I'm getting it day one" Darren first told us.

"Obviously at launch [DiRT 4] is not coming to Switch. We’d already picked our platforms. We've nothing to announce right now, but, I wouldn’t rule it out."

With years of making driving games under his belt, Darren also took some time to explain how he thinks racing games can work on such a unique system like the Switch, especially, when it's being used on the move:

"There are signs of more traditional games coming out for Switch with full controller support like Skyrim, but would Dirt Rally or Dirt 4 work on a split Switch controller? I think we’d have to do quite a lot in terms of extra tweaks."

"When you take it away and you’ve got it in tablet mode with the Joy-Cons it's great, but those split controllers, that’s custom game design right there specifically for that platform.

"There are not many inputs, so you’d have to have super simplified controls and because of that, it may not be the ideal scenario for DiRT 4.

"That said, I could definitely see Nintendo Switch having some compelling racing experiences concludes."

The joy cons comments are interesting. Surely they don't have to develop a game with tablet mode support. It can't be mandatory.

Edited by liger05

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/582590/DiRT-4-Nintendo-Switch-UPDATE-Codemasters

The joy cons comments are interesting. Surely they don't have to develop a game with tablet mode support. It can't be mandatory.

yeah.. it's like wii u.. not all games support wii controllers, not all support pro-controllers. I imagine joycon "conventional" controller will be the norm, with devs being allowed to use separated joycons/touchscreen controls should they so wish. Also in terms of inputs.. do the joy cons have fewer than other consoles??

yeah.. it's like wii u.. not all games support wii controllers, not all support pro-controllers. I imagine joycon "conventional" controller will be the norm, with devs being allowed to use separated joycons/touchscreen controls should they so wish. Also in terms of inputs.. do the joy cons have fewer than other consoles??

They only have two shoulder buttons rather than four.

I didn't think you'd need the voltage so much - besides which wouldn't we assume it around 5V if it's all using USB-C? Weirdly I do find this all interesting, but I can't help feel we're all missing some obvious piece of the puzzle...

voltage is pretty important. it's like saying "how long will it take to get 5 people to a city 5 miles away? The vehicle can travel at 15 miles per hour."

easy enough, 20 minutes. Unless the vehicle can only carry 1 person at a time. in which case it is 3 hours. Similar with voltage.

But you are probably right, charging is likely to be at 5v (especially looking at the gamepad and 3ds).

But I'm just impressed that the switch will be running on less than 1/3 the power a Wii U draws.

Im not really buying these 'excuses' of why certain third party games can't be ported to a Nintendo system - Developers will be running back to Nintendo if the Switch takes off and they will find a way to port. Money talks - they only have this staunch approach now because of the Wii U situation.

Switch specifications on Nintendo UK:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch/Specifications/Specifications-1176277.html#1

Edited by King_V

So the 3.5mm jack is one that supports microphones.

I imagine third parties will use it (and hopefully Bluetooth) for voice chat within games.