NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Just to wind this back. Nintendo have said they will launch a new paid for online system whereby you receive monthly games as part of the service. This will include party chat. So pretty much exactly what Xbox Live & PS+ offer. Isn't this what everybody wanted?

When put like this, it might seem that way. But those services offer two free games from the current library of those consoles, which you get to keep as long as you are a subscriber. I believe XBL even throws in a free Xbox 360 title as well. Compared to Nintendo giving a free NES/SNES game for a month with possible online modes added to them, it doesn't seem as good as an offer that you get for XBL or PS+

which leads to the price...

Really? A HUGE issue!

If it turns out to be £80 a year that's a huge issue. If it's £30 then that's not an issue at all, it's just a minor frustration that we don't actually know it yet.

I tell you what if it's more than £45 a year, I'll pay your subscription and if it's under £20 you can pay mine.

if they are charging less for their service then Sony and Microsoft charge for theirs, then its far less of an issue, but we simply don't know which is kinda shocking when the console is out in 5 weeks time.

Edited by Helmsly

Switch.png

Of the current known 2017 line-up, I'm getting:

Zelda: breath of the wild

It's pre-ordered.

Shovel knight: treasure trove

Absolutely love the look of this, but always wanted to play this on a Nintendo console, so didn't bother buying it on Steam.

Super Mario Odyssee

I personally actually feel it's a step back from Galaxy for some reason, still it looks fun nonetheless.

Yooka-Laylee

The Banjo-Kazooie 3 I never had or will get.. This will do nicely.

Maybe's:

I am Setsuna

Need to do some more research, reviews haven't been fantastic I believe.

Sonic mania

Depends on how much I want an oldskool Sonic.

One or both of the Wipe-out / Extreme G / F-Zero type racers

Need to see some more of them.

Disgaea 5

To fill the gap until Fire Emblem arrives?

Wonderboy and/or Monsterboy

Look like fun, but not sure how many of those oldskool type games / remakes I want to get.

Rime

Edit: forgot Rime. Trailer for the PS looked great, but need to see more gameplay.

Yeah, it's shaping up nicely. I'm getting:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Skyrim - would prefer to play this on a handheld

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap + Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - these two would have to be pretty bad for me to not get both of them

I am Setsuna - this is a maybe

TBAs:

Dragon Quest XI

Project Octopath Traveller

Plus, if they can get some 16- and 32-bit coin-ops on there, I won't be able to resist those.

I think it's that we all want to know more things, on a variety of fronts, and with just barely over 5 weeks to go the fact we're not getting answers - or indeed that we're specifically getting an answer AFTER launch - is what's bugging people.

Ah okay, well we'll definitely hear about that beforehand, Reggie said so didn't he in the interview? I think this information is what the heck is this app and how that works, how much does it cost etc.

I think...

Not revealing the price is definitely a huge issue.

Is it huge? Don't we all presume it'll be somewhere between 20-40 a year? I mean it's not going to be some stupid figure... I think the 'value' is the most important thing.

Ha, just realised @Clownferret said the same as me pretty much; must read all then go back and reply in future...

Ha, just realised @Clownferret said the same as me pretty much; must read all then go back and reply in future...

Just to wind this back. Nintendo have said they will launch a new paid for online system whereby you receive monthly games as part of the service. This will include party chat. So pretty much exactly what Xbox Live & PS+ offer. Isn't this what everybody wanted?

Voice chat is through an app, and 1 game a month (I think) that gets taken away from you after a month. It sounds an awful lot worse than what the competition is doing and people wanted parity. If they came out and said 15 pounds a year then people might be ok with it, but they haven't.

Not revealing the price (yet!) is a HUGE issue for a service that's launching properly in Q4? Really?

Yeah, it's shaping up nicely. I'm getting:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Super Mario Odyssey

Skyrim - would prefer to play this on a handheld

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap + Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom - these two would have to be pretty bad for me to not get both of them

I am Setsuna - this is a maybe

TBAs:

Dragon Quest XI

Project Octopath Traveller

Plus, if they can get some 16- and 32-bit coin-ops on there, I won't be able to resist those.

Zelda, Bomberman, MK8, Arms, Splatoon 2, Mario, Street Fighter, Sonic, Sonic Mania, Steep, Rayman Legends, Binding of Isaac, Fast RMX, Has Been Heroes, SnipperClips, Shovel Knight, Rime and Redout for me in the first nine months. So far at least.

Is it huge? Don't we all presume it'll be somewhere between 20-40 a year? I mean it's not going to be some stupid figure... I think the 'value' is the most important thing.

Well, for me, if the price is towards the latter end, it means that essentially Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 are erased from the release schedule, so fewer reasons to get a Switch.

Not revealing the price (yet!) is a HUGE issue for a service that's launching properly in Q4? Really?

Yes, knowing if I'll be sticking entirely to single-player games (like I do with the PS4) is a pretty important issue for deciding which games I'd potentially buy.

Edited by Cube

Yes because 1. it should be launching when the console launches (again, parity - the other consoles had their online features ready at launch) and 2. people don't have sufficient information to know whether the 280 pounds they are paying for the system around now is going to be backed up by a decent online setup. It's pretty poor.

Obviously people will still buy it for Nintendo games, but this is a blow for people expecting Nintendo to step up to the plate with regards to online. It all feels very rushed.

Yes because 1. it should be launching when the console launches (again, parity - the other consoles had their online features ready at launch) and 2. people don't have sufficient information to know whether the 280 pounds they are paying for the system around now is going to be backed up by a decent online setup. It's pretty poor.

Obviously people will still buy it for Nintendo games, but this is a blow for people expecting Nintendo to step up to the plate with regards to online. It all feels very rushed.

It's online (and free) from day 1. Party chat later in the year. If that isn't enough information for people to know whether to buy a Switch now or not then ::shrug:

It's online (and free) from day 1. Party chat later in the year. If that isn't enough information for people to know whether to buy a Switch now or not then ::shrug:

But then it's not free after a bit. Can you not see the problem with people buying into something now that later down the line has an undisclosed fee attached to it? Given the offering we know of so far, the fee might well not be viewed as worth it if similar in price to the competition.

It's online (and free) from day 1.

It's temporarily free. Unless you think you'll be utterly bored of a game within 6 months, you can't justify buying any games where the online is important until you know you'll be keeping the online service once it goes to a paid format.

Sheikah said

it should be launching when the console launches

I replied

It's online from day 1

Unless I'm mistaken, Nintendo said you would get a free game for a month. Which is exactly the same as PS+. I don't know how/why this has been interpreted as the game gets taken away after a month. At this point I don't think we know 100% either way but logically it just means it will work exactly the same as PS+. Why would they take the game away?

Sheikah said

I replied

No, you said "it's launching properly in Q4", to which I said "It (i.e. the thing you just mentioned) should be launching day 1".

I don't know how/why this has been interpreted as the game gets taken away after a month.

Nintendo confirmed that you can no longer play it after the month is over.

Unless I'm mistaken, Nintendo said you would get a free game for a month. Which is exactly the same as PS+. I don't know how/why this has been interpreted as the game gets taken away after a month. At this point I don't think we know 100% either way but logically it just means it will work exactly the same as PS+. Why would they take the game away?

1. It's not exactly like PS Plus, you get a lot more games with Plus, not just one.

2. It's confirmed:

capture_nint.png

Now do you see people's grievance? Seems like you were disagreeing without the full facts.

Unless of course it's £5 a year in which case it's an absolutely fantastic offer. Again, arguing without knowing the facts.

Unless of course it's £5 a year in which case it's an absolutely fantastic offer. Again, arguing without knowing the facts.

That's exactly the point we're trying to make - it's not something you can make a decision on if Nintendo refuse to tell us the facts.

That's exactly the point we're trying to make - it's not something you can make a decision on if Nintendo refuse to tell us the facts.

Fair enough, then as you say, don't buy a Switch until you're told exactly how much online will cost in Q4, whether it's £20 or £40 a year.

That's the point - they haven't confirmed the finer details yet. You've literally just agreed with the point that the others are discussing :laughing:

Edit. Just seen your reply. Nintendo can't afford to put them in a position whereby they give people a reason not to buy their consoles. They need this thing to sell well. They've streamlined their software and hardware development into one - their future is dependent on the success of this machine. Giving people a reason not to buy the hardware is not good enough.

Imagine buying an expensive phone on a tariff that was free for a few months, but then they started charging you if you wanted to carry on using it to communicate. Now imagine if you had no idea what that amount would be once they started charging you - could be a lot, could be not much. Would you want to take out this contract?

Some people will take it out, because in this analogy I'm going to say it's an iPhone and people want it for other reasons. But can you not see how this approach is a) a bit shit and b) going to put some people off?

I think people would just simply not buy it instead of spending hours on a forum complaining how the phone maker doesn't care about them / cater to their needs.

If you don't like what Nintendo is offering with the Switch, don't buy it. It really is that simple.

Nintendo will never listen to a bunch of hardcore western gamers are saying on a niche forum no matter how loudly they complain. Have you tried complaining to the directly? Tweeting them? Made a YouTube video about it?

This thread is going round in circles. We get it, people are not happy with how Nintendo have released info regarding the Switch or how their approaching certain online services. Don't buy one.

In Autumn / Winter you will know what Nintendo is offering with Switch, make your decision then. All this constant whining about decisions just comes across as entitlement. Make your point, sure, but please stop banging on about it and derailing threads.

Just to wind this back. Nintendo have said they will launch a new paid for online system whereby you receive monthly games as part of the service. This will include party chat. So pretty much exactly what Xbox Live & PS+ offer. Isn't this what everybody wanted? It's frustrating that they have not decided/revealed what the cost of this will be, but it's pretty obviously going to be somewhere between £20-£40 per year. The voice chat app is probably the only way to go about it considering the console is also portable. So they have given us what we want in the only way that is feasible and the stuff they are not telling us is either blatantly obvious that it probably doesn't require confirmation or is within a margin that will be indifferent to 99% of users.

It isn't the same though. For starters - it's not even through the system. Why does an app have to be 'probably the only way to go about it considering the console is also portable'? Why not, oh I dunno, have it work directly through the console considering it's being marketed as a home console. For seconds - why go through the hassle of a custom app, rather than the path of least resistance by making it all console based and just using whatever device you were going to put the app on as a wifi hotspot instead? That's pretty common/standard now tbh. Thirdly it's very different in that the 'monthly game' appears to be a sole single monthly NES or SNES game, compared to more on the other services(not to mention more recent, too), and also that I'm sure it was confirmed the 'monthly game' was actually only playable for that month alone - whereas I understand with at least PS+ you keep everything playable whilst still subscribed; and I'm not 100% on whether it's the same on Xbox Live. A single NES or SNES game, for a month. The only difference I can see in its favour is added online to the old games - something which whilst it sounds nice, is still surrounded in the vagueness of the online setup's details.

Really? A HUGE issue!

If it turns out to be £80 a year that's a huge issue. If it's £30 then that's not an issue at all, it's just a minor frustration that we don't actually know it yet.

I tell you what if it's more than £45 a year, I'll pay your subscription and if it's under £20 you can pay mine.

Seems a few people are throwing round speculative promises today! I'd say it's a bit huge - if it's going to be a yearly subscription at £40 a year and the console lasts 4 years and someone buys and uses it for that - it's a whole extra £160 you're putting out. Buying the console almost half commits you to an unknown online service if you want to utilise the thing fully.

I'll be pissed off even if it's £5 per month. I detest this practice of being forced to pay an additional fee to use the console to it's fullest capabilities.

If you don't like what Nintendo is offering with the Switch, don't buy it. It really is that simple.

What if you love the idea of the hardware but not the software, is it still so simple? What if you DO want the system but can't commit to an unknown online fee on top of the £280 you're going to invest in the system alone? Is it still so simple?

This thread is going round in circles. We get it, people are not happy with how Nintendo have released info regarding the Switch or how their approaching certain online services. Don't buy one.

In Autumn / Winter you will know what Nintendo is offering with Switch, make your decision then. All this constant whining about decisions just comes across as entitlement. Make your point, sure, but please stop banging on about it and derailing threads.

It's still Switch relevant - and the fault lies with the vagueness. I and maybe others can't really say whether we're happy or not 'with how Nintendo are approaching certainly online services' - because we don't bloody know!

What makes all of this worse is it seems people such as Ronnie(direct in a few weeks) and Clownferret(games last longer than a month) are offering answers to the conversations that are simply incorrect and otherwise contradictory to what Nintendo themselves have officially been saying. If anything's going to help derail a thread it's continually injecting falsehoods into it as facts - as most will come out to point out the incorrectness.

I don't like having to stay subscribed to a service in order to have access to games so I'm not really bothered that the 'free' game on Nintendo's service will be inaccessible after a month. It still gives me the chance to try out games I may not otherwise have considered and help me decide whether to purchase it or not :smile:

The price will be really important, especially if the 'free' game each month is something I may already own or would have bought anyway.

There's so many things to discover about the entire online service that it would help to know at least some information before launch..

On a lighter tone; it seems like the developer of Senran Kagura is developing a SWITCH game. He wants to express “softness” with the touch screen and haptic feedback. This will be good guys!

Source: GoNintendo