NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo manage to push both huge openworld Zeldas like BOTW and more handheld-like titles like A Link Between Worlds, on the same console.

Or "if" :heh:

How so? If I understand correctly, his [Codemaster guy] argument is that playing with individual joycons are the problem. But the point raised is that that style of play is not mandatory, ala BOTW.

To me just sounds like an excuse - an excuse that is highly liable to do a 180 if the Switch were to sell well.

Sorry I missed your reply - didn't realise it was at the bottom of the page!

"That style of play is not mandatory"

In handheld mode (i.e. when people take the console away from home), the minimum input standard becomes one joycon (not two) because you can't guarantee that everyone will take the joycon grip and/or the Pro Controller with them as well.

The secret to making the Switch a success is to create games that are compatible with just individual joy cons, so you can quite literally just pop the console into kick stand mode and play a game, either in single player or multiplayer.

There will be games like Zelda where people will be willing to take a grip/Pro controller out with them to play the game on the go, but for mass market they'll simply be expecting pick up and play experiences on the go.

Sorry I missed your reply - didn't realise it was at the bottom of the page!

"That style of play is not mandatory"

In handheld mode (i.e. when people take the console away from home), the minimum input standard becomes one joycon (not two) because you can't guarantee that everyone will take the joycon grip and/or the Pro Controller with them as well.

I don't understand. Why can't people use both joycons away from the tele?

I don't understand. Why can't people use both joycons away from the tele?

You can, but you need the grip don't you? Unless you can hold them both separately but I can't imagine that would be comfortable for a game like Grid....

If you didn't take a grip/Pro Controller out with you, then any game that requires them (ie. a game that is incompatible with one joycon) becomes unplayable.

Edited by Goron_3

You can, but you need the grip don't you? Unless you can hold them both separately but I can't imagine that would be comfortable for a game like Grid....

Yeah you can hold them separately. I think it could be really comfortable. It was on Wii with nunchuck and Wii mote.

Yeah you can hold them separately. I think it could be really comfortable. It was on Wii with nunchuck and Wii mote.

I really can't imagine that working for a racing game because you need quick access to all the other buttons (and the triggers) which the Joy Con's don't even have. Some games could work like that though, but definitely not a game like Dirt!

I really can't imagine that working for a racing game because you need quick access to all the other buttons (and the triggers) which the Joy Con's don't even have. Some games could work like that though, but definitely not a game like Dirt!

Why not, what buttons don't the joycons have?

Why not, what buttons don't the joycons have?

Imagine holding a joy con in each hand. You'll hold them verticially right?

And compare that to holding the joy con's when they are inside the grip (or holding a pro controller).

When you hold them separately, it's going to be pretty difficult to move your thumbs to each button quick enough, especially without dropping them. Your thumbs will rest over the analogue sticks, after all. When the joy con's are inside the grip there is no issue; you have access to all the buttons and it's very comfortable.

And before you say "Well, I'll hold a joy con in each hand sideways instead", think about doing it practically. Impossible.

If you didn't take a grip/Pro Controller out with you, then any game that requires them (ie. a game that is incompatible with one joycon) becomes unplayable.

I may be missing something from your post... But in handheld mode (ie with the joycons attached), you still have the two joycons to use - Just like BOTW and Splatoon 2.

And compare that to holding the joy con's when they are inside the grip (or holding a pro controller).

When you hold them separately, it's going to be pretty difficult to move your thumbs to each button quick enough, especially without dropping them. Your thumbs will rest over the analogue sticks, after all. When the joy con's are inside the grip there is no issue; you have access to all the buttons and it's very comfortable.

And before you say "Well, I'll hold a joy con in each hand sideways instead", think about doing it practically. Impossible.

I'm having a hard time picturing the difficulty you're suggesting. Especially as holding them separately wouldn't be all that different from using the Switch with them attached, in handheld mode. From reports, holding one in each hand is really comfortable.

I don't think it will be difficult in anyway shape or form; like I never found it difficult accessing the dpad and A button on the wii remote.

Also, in handheld mode the joy cons will be attached to the device.

You mean in tabletop mode?

I may be missing something from your post... But in handheld mode (ie with the joycons attached), you still have the two joycons to use - Just like BOTW and Splatoon 2.

You can also put the console into kickstand mode though, which is where you remove the joy cons and put them into a shell.

For a game like Dirt to work well, you'd need to ensure that people never played the game in kickstand mode, and if they did you'd have to ensure that they either had the grip on them or they had the pro controller. A game like that isn't practical to play with either one joy con or with two joy cons without the grip (i.e. one in each hand, as Dazzy suggested above).

Ultimately, it may not be perfect, but you could use your argument for most games then, even Zelda no? Feels like a weak excuse not to put a game on the device to be honest.

And excuse my ignorance, don't know the game, but are driving games button intensive? Accelerate, break, turn, maybe handbrake?!

A game like that isn't practical to play with either one joy con or with two joy cons without the grip (i.e. one in each hand, as Dazzy suggested above).

But why not? Analog stick on the left thumb, buttons on the right? Why isn't it practical?

But why not? Analog stick on the left thumb, buttons on the right? Why isn't it practical?

It's not practical with one joy con because there simply aren't enough buttons. I mean, have you actually played the previous games? They use virtually every button on a Dualshock controller; the lack of a second analogue stick and triggers would be missed for a start.

With a joy con in each hand, I still can't see it working as jumping between the buttons with your right thumb would be a nightmare.

Edited by Goron_3

You can also put the console into kickstand mode though, which is where you remove the joy cons and put them into a shell.

For a game like Dirt to work well, you'd need to ensure that people never played the game in kickstand mode, and if they did you'd have to ensure that they either had the grip on them or they had the pro controller. A game like that isn't practical to play with either one joy con or with two joy cons without the grip (i.e. one in each hand, as Dazzy suggested above).

Then it can just omit kickstand mode if it really was troublesome I would imagine.

I think kickstand mode will likely be the least used playing style for more complex games.

Edited by King_V

It's not practical with one joy con because there simply aren't enough buttons. I mean, have you actually played the previous games? They use virtually every button on a Dualshock controller; the lack of a second analogue stick and triggers would be missed for a start.

With a joy con in each hand, I still can't see it working as jumping between the buttons with your right thumb would be a nightmare.

Sorry I must have misunderstood what you were talking about then. I thought you were arguing against playing it with two joycons, one in each hand.

Games don't need to have mandatory single joycon mode, so I don't see why it's a problem for this game.

Sorry I must have misunderstood what you were talking about then. I thought you were arguing against playing it with two joycons, one in each hand.

Games don't need to have mandatory single joycon mode, so I don't see why it's a problem for this game.

Because if someone played the game away from the TV with the stand up, you'd need to ensure that they had either the Pro Controller or the grip.

Holding a joy con in each hand simply wouldn't work for a racing game like Dirt. It might work for a game like Mario Kart though (in fact, it might even be a control option).

Holding a joy con in each hand simply wouldn't work for a racing game like Dirt.

Ok right, that's what I thought you meant, and I still don't understand why it wouldn't work. You've access to all the buttons and it would be similar to playing it in handheld mode, just with your hands apart. Everyone's said it's very comfortable playing like this. This isn't a twitchy button mashing action game like Bayonetta, I can't imagine a racing game being that frantic.

Ok right, that's what I thought you meant, and I still don't understand why it wouldn't work. You've access to all the buttons and it would be similar to playing it in handheld mode, just with your hands apart. Everyone's said it's very comfortable playing like this. This isn't a twitchy button mashing action game like Bayonetta, I can't imagine a racing game being that frantic.

"I can't imagine a racing game being frantic"

A game like Dirt has a super high number of actions per minute (imagine being a rally driver), with many of them being super minute. Ideally you'd play with a steering wheel but a traditional controller can also work. You mention Bayonetta but that game is more about timing as opposed to feel, which is what racing is all about.

With your logic being an Formula 1 driver would be super easy :D

Because if someone played the game away from the TV with the stand up, you'd need to ensure that they had either the Pro Controller or the grip.

Holding a joy con in each hand simply wouldn't work for a racing game like Dirt. It might work for a game like Mario Kart though (in fact, it might even be a control option).

Does it have to?

Why just not have the game playable in handheld mode only or when on TV a unified joycon or pro controller.

Tablet mode isn't mandatory is it?

Does it have to?

Why just not have the game playable in handheld mode only or when on TV a unified joycon or pro controller.

Tablet mode isn't mandatory is it?

I can't imagine a developer would feel pretty comfortable releasing a game that is only compatible in certain modes (especially one that is advertised as a major selling point). I also wonder if this is even allowed?

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but, full Switch specs...

Nintendo Switch console

Size

102mm x 239mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con attached)

Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.

Weight

Approx. 297g

(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 398g)

Screen

Capacitive touch screen / 6.2 inch LCD / 1280x720 resolution

CPU/GPU

NVIDIA customised Tegra processor

System memory

32 GB

Please note: a portion of this internal memory is reserved for use by the system.

Communication features

Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1 (TV mode only. A wired LAN connection is possible through the use of a commercially available wired LAN adapter.)

Video output

Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps

Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.

Audio output

Supports linear PCM 5.1ch

Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.

Speakers

Stereo

USB terminal

USB Type-C terminal

Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.

Headphone mic. jack

Stereo output

Game card slot

Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.

microSD card slot

Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.

Sensors

Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor

Operating environment

Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%

Internal battery

Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh

Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, we plan to offer paid replacement via Nintendo Customer Support.

Battery life

Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage conditions.

For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a single charge.

Charging time

3 hours approx.

Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

I'm more than happy with the fact that it supports linear PCM 5.1ch for when playing on the big screen, I just hope that it's more of a standard feature for all games this time where possible. :)

My sound system which is a fair few years old now but very forward thinking for its time has HDMI passthrough and supports linear PCM amongst other sound modes so I'm happy that I can just connect into a HDMI splitter or directly to take advantage of this. : peace:

I can't imagine a developer would feel pretty comfortable releasing a game that is only compatible in certain modes (especially one that is advertised as a major selling point). I also wonder if this is even allowed?

But it is compatible, the only thing you're saying is it may not be as comfortable. But in that very specific mode you still have access to all the buttons and I highly doubt it'll be a problem at all anyway. As hands on say it works great and it's similar to the wii set up and that was absolutely fine.

Then the solution can be tabletop mode with the use of joycon grips or pro controller. Just as it is for Zelda.

My point ultimately is if the Switch becomes a platform where developers can make money on they will make it [the game] work regardless.