NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

So the 3.5mm jack is one that supports microphones.

Looks like it...

394F3EEA-905A-4519-9B71-84DCF0BF9DFA_zpss15lvpzp.jpg

The inside of the boxes have artwork as well

C3LHgHRVMAQf89V.jpg

C3LHqCWUkAAZWqn.jpg

C3LHwZrUEAASm-J.jpg

Also, Japan's Switch box is lovely...

acOfieN.png

Edited by Ronnie

voltage is pretty important. it's like saying "how long will it take to get 5 people to a city 5 miles away? The vehicle can travel at 15 miles per hour."

easy enough, 20 minutes. Unless the vehicle can only carry 1 person at a time. in which case it is 3 hours. Similar with voltage.

But you are probably right, charging is likely to be at 5v (especially looking at the gamepad and 3ds).

But I'm just impressed that the switch will be running on less than 1/3 the power a Wii U draws.

Oh of course it is - but it's all linked together is it not? V=IR, P=IV, P=I^2R etc.

For the charging time though - if we know capacity/charge in mAh - and we know charge time, we should be able to get the general rough input/charging ampage without the voltage? On top of which anyway we have some windows to guess at the voltage if it's meeting USB standards?

Looks like it...

394F3EEA-905A-4519-9B71-84DCF0BF9DFA_zpss15lvpzp.jpg

Maybe it's so you can have TWO headsets on the go - one ear for the voice chat side and the other ear for the game sounds side ;)

Edited by Rummy

Oh of course it is - but it's all linked together is it not? V=IR, P=IV, P=I^2R etc.

For the charging time though - if we know capacity/charge in mAh - and we know charge time, we should be able to get the general rough input/charging ampage without the voltage? On top of which anyway we have some windows to guess at the voltage if it's meeting USB standards?

Battery capacity is 4310mAh (which is ridiculously high and shows the power of the console. That's almost double the Wii U high capacity battery and over 3x the 3DS battery)

I was thinking about what kind of game would be the perfect launch game for me. And then Zak & Wiki sprang to mind. Imagine the amount of inventive puzzles the HD Rumble in the Joy Cons could bring to that game.

Too bad the original bombed so hard, I would've preferred it hugely to the Street Fighter 2 reimagining... :(

That Switch box is amazing.

I love the Switch game boxes too. My hype is building nicely at the moment.

So there are headsets being sold, and on official Nintendo documents it says you can put pics and headsets into the jack. Surely Reggie just confused matters with his reply about online and you can do both. Surely!!!!

So there are headsets being sold, and on official Nintendo documents it says you can put pics and headsets into the jack. Surely Reggie just confused matters with his reply about online and you can do both. Surely!!!!

Maybe Kimishima just told Reggie that if Nintendo really was concerned about unsightly bulky things he'd be unemployed by now.

Battery capacity is 4310mAh (which is ridiculously high and shows the power of the console. That's almost double the Wii U high capacity battery and over 3x the 3DS battery)

Erm...ok not sure how that related to my quote but also what newness is that adding to the conversation? We've already been over the battery's capacity(unless you weren't reading the thread, but you'll see it was me that actually stated it) and it was more about V. Amoleo's question about the power supply itself rather than the battery capacity. Assuming the accuracy of reports saying the battery only gives around 3 hours of play time on a full charge - let's estimate 4310/3=1.44A. Call it 1.5A to be generous - you'd surely have to have quite a high voltage output to have a high power consumption there?

How or why does it show the 'power'(presuming you didn't mean literal power) of the console? It merely shows how much capacity the battery has. Without the accompanying currents and voltages which we were discussing - we don't ACTUALLY know the full power(literal power, in Watts etc) consumption of the console. Information that is proving tricky for me to nail down at the moment too. Possibly worth noting here that according to a quick wikipedia check the Shield's battery is 7,350mAh with a reported power output of 28.8W. One can only wonder where the hyperbole-hating Serebii would put that on his scale holding 4,310mAh at 'ridiculously high' already ;)

Also as far as I'm aware - the Wii U never ran off a battery; so not sure why that comparison's being made unless you're drawing it in towards the Gamepad - again silly and irrelevant as the Wii U Gamepad was never a console :rolleyes:

'Shocking news - Nintendo's latest console MORE powerful than last console's main controller!' - sadly a headline some might not struggle to find plausible given Nintendo's approaches at the moment :heh:

Edited by Rummy

The joy cons comments are interesting. Surely they don't have to develop a game with tablet mode support. It can't be mandatory.

I'm normally a fan of his videos but he's completely missed the point there. The joycon's just aren't the right controller for a game like Dirt.

The spec sheets show that the Joy-cons connect via Bluetooth 3.0. However, the Switch console is capable of supporting Bluetooth 4.1 in TV mode only? Can we expect some special kind of TV-mode peripheral? What could that be?

Edited by david.dakota

I'm normally a fan of his videos but he's completely missed the point there. The joycon's just aren't the right controller for a game like Dirt.

How so? If I understand correctly, his [Codemaster guy] argument is that playing with individual joycons are the problem. But the point raised is that that style of play is not mandatory, ala BOTW.

To me just sounds like an excuse - an excuse that is highly liable to do a 180 if the Switch were to sell well.

I hope we don't learn all there is left to learn from images and website copy. Surely another direct to discuss account, the virtual console, the OS etc is worthy?!

@Rummy

xt7rtjm7jiay.jpg

15 volts, 2.6 amps, 39 watts.

This means that the power supply is outputting at USB PD or Qualcomm's USB Quick Charge levels. So if I were to run it from my wall socket it'd likely not work correctly. Either it'd run in portable mode, drain faster than it could charge or not work at all.

Hopefully we'll find out before release if it's PD or QC, I already have a power hub installed that supports PD.

@Rummy

xt7rtjm7jiay.jpg

15 volts, 2.6 amps, 39 watts.

This means that the power supply is outputting at USB PD or Qualcomm's USB Quick Charge levels. So if I were to run it from my wall socket it'd likely not work correctly. Either it'd run in portable mode, drain faster than it could charge or not work at all.

Hopefully we'll find out before release if it's PD or QC, I already have a power hub installed that supports PD.

Ahhhhh! Where did you manage to find that picture?! That's the sort of thing I've been trying my hardest to find! Ended up in just a lot of internet conversations speculating a lot of what we already had - or blurry pics where you couldn't see anything!

Interesting it's taking such a large input, though a bit of a shame it's going to affect your ability to charge from your devices. What happens in the case of charging a phone from a pc/laptop usb port compared to a mains adaptor though? Both charge, but I'm sure at different rates/inputs to the phone, no? Would that mean that maybe a mains supply charge for the Switch does it faster, but it could still be done via anything else USB-C that can supply?

I hope we don't learn all there is left to learn from images and website copy. Surely another direct to discuss account, the virtual console, the OS etc is worthy?!

Given they haven't said a word about the virtual console I imagine a Direct is incoming. I also think it's due a rebrand, possibly to fit in line with the red and white "Nintendo Classics" logo on the mini NES box. Reason I suspect a rebrand is the VC logo uses the Wii font which I imagine they'll want to steer clear of with this new gen.

Maybe Kimishima just told Reggie that if Nintendo really was concerned about unsightly bulky things he'd be unemployed by now.

How this didn't get any Likes I have no idea

Given they haven't said a word about the virtual console I imagine a Direct is incoming. I also think it's due a rebrand, possibly to fit in line with the red and white "Nintendo Classics" logo on the mini NES box. Reason I suspect a rebrand is the VC logo uses the Wii font which I imagine they'll want to steer clear of with this new gen.

Although I quite like the name Virtual Console, it doesn't quite make loads of sense as to what it is, eshop is pretty much the same meaning. Nintendo classics works; wonder how they'll do it, a bit of me thinks it'd be nice to have console icons and click in them and all the game are there rather than each game having their own icon, especially with the OS having such huge titles for the games.

Although I quite like the name Virtual Console, it doesn't quite make loads of sense as to what it is, eshop is pretty much the same meaning. Nintendo classics works; wonder how they'll do it, a bit of me thinks it'd be nice to have console icons and click in them and all the game are there rather than each game having their own icon, especially with the OS having such huge titles for the games.

I'm hoping the OS lets you zoom out to display more rows of games. It looks fine in handheld mode but it'd be overkill to have such huge boxes on the tv.