N-Europe

LittleBigPlanet 3

Daft

• 2 months later...
Can't believe there's so few posts in this thread. The game looks fucking ace, what's the matter with you people?! :p

The customisation options alone have sold it to me. If there's a big enough community here getting it, we could have some right fun with this. The type of game I think @RedShell could excel at.

Still haven't really finished the 1st one yet. :heh:

Is LBP3 backwards compatible with creations from the other games? Seem to recall hearing that it is, but not sure. :hmm:

Really like the Little Big Planet installments.

However, as I am an uncreative noob and therefore don't use the level/game creator I feel like I'm missing out on half the game.

That's why I generally wait for the games' prices to be reduced.

But with this, I might dive in day one.

Can't believe there's so few posts in this thread. The game looks fucking ace, what's the matter with you people?! :p

The customisation options alone have sold it to me. If there's a big enough community here getting it, we could have some right fun with this. The type of game I think @RedShell could excel at.

Fatigue probably. I had great fun with the first game in the creation mode and with multiplayer, but I think pretty much everyone hits a point where they just don't feel like going back to it. The actual platforming is slightly underwhelming and it's a game you definitely have to be in the mood for. I found in my time with it that the top-rated user levels were basically demonstrations of the art and visuals and clever little contraptions which have you admiring the design but which aren't all too fulfilling to play. There's no denying its charm but after you've actually played it for a few hours you should be demystified.

Fatigue probably. I had great fun with the first game in the creation mode and with multiplayer, but I think pretty much everyone hits a point where they just don't feel like going back to it. The actual platforming is slightly underwhelming and it's a game you definitely have to be in the mood for. I found in my time with it that the top-rated user levels were basically demonstrations of the art and visuals and clever little contraptions which have you admiring the design but which aren't all too fulfilling to play. There's no denying its charm but after you've actually played it for a few hours you should be demystified.

Your words cut me like the thrust of an arrow penetrating the naked flesh of a deer on the hillside.

Hype falling. Falling. Faaalling. Gone. :heh:

If I've never played it before and I'm at the stage where fresh oxygen feels amazingly new to me (oh look, air, hnnnnnng), will I like this? It looks great to me, but then I've not spent much time on these games except for trying the original in a demo pod in HMV yeaaars ago.

If you have never played it then yes I think you will absolutely enjoy it.

LBP to me feels a bit like the NSMB series. Good games but they dont exactly change a lot between releases. LBP of course has the benefit of the constant stuff being built from the community though. I will be buying 3 because I skipped 2.

If you have never played it then yes I think you will absolutely enjoy it.

LBP to me feels a bit like the NSMB series. Good games but they dont exactly change a lot between releases. LBP of course has the benefit of the constant stuff being built from the community though. I will be buying 3 because I skipped 2.

That's a good analogy. One of these will probably be enough for me, I don't see myself picking up sequels to this if they do appear in the next few years. Unless they were drastically different or better in some way.

The customisation/editing is what excites me, though. That's the bulk of the game for me, being able to create new things.

I'd say give it a go for sure, there's easily a solid 15-20 hours of enjoyment to be had marvelling at the variety, plus LBP2 introduced different options to create non-linear levels with more than the bare 3 planes of the original's 2D platformer gameplay (stuff I've only tried briefly at a friend's). It went a bit more Warioware-y, which can only be a good thing. Plus, with this one you've got the multiple characters with different strengths a la Sonic/Trine, so there's definitely a bags more here compared to the first game. What it really boils down to, in my opinion, is whether you have the patience to create your own stuff. I spent a boatload of time in creation, a mode full of frustrations, anomalous deletions and reworkings, but ultimately it was very rewarding. There was an intense novelty factor at work when I picked it up on the first day because it was incredibly fresh back then and the userbase was only very slowly working everything out. The blank canvas is very liberating, yo.

*Hope you can still muster a semi for it

Edited by dwarf

• 3 months later...

Finished this today. It's pretty short but very charming. The platforming seems a lot better than it has been in previous games. The new characters are pretty meh to be honest, with the exception of Oddsock. His sections are great to play through, with him sprinting and wall jumping everywhere.

Speaking of the new characters, you don't get to use them much at all. You use them once after you find them ( just to learn their move set ) and then after that it's a boss fight and then back to Sackboy. I thought you would be able to switch between the four of them.

I did encounter a couple of glitches. One had me fall through the whole stage and another locked me out of the levels after the prologue. The second glitch was a very common one and Google sorted the issue out for me.

The game has some highlights ( Hugh Laurie being Newton is a big one ) but the actual gameplay still seems to take a back seat to the creative side of things.

• 3 weeks later...

Really good so far for me. One of the highlights this year. Wouldnt call the game a platformer anymore. Its certainly been that way since LBP2. There are segments(ish) but the gadgets and characters dominate this game. The jumping etc. is pretty easy and basic. Having said the levels are well designed and demonstrate new mechanics brilliantly.

Love the new open endedness with the introduction of hubs with you choosing what level to play next. Swimming etc. is much better here. Havent dug much into create but i republished my rocket powered rollercoaster level. Really good game.

DLC and previous content isnt ready yet(well half isnt). Will update soon. But very happy with this game compared to Dragon age and Driveclub so far on the fun and attention grabbing side of things :)