Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Scalebound - Platinum Games (XboxOne)

Retro_Link

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I knew that it had to be some big news that had been posted if you were venturing into this side of the boards! :D

If true, I can't say I'm surprised. It looked ropey at last years E3. Now for Nintendo to swoop in, tidy the game up and release it on the Switch. :p

I knew that it had to be some big news that had been posted if you were venturing into this side of the boards! :D

If true, I can't say I'm surprised. It looked ropey at last years E3. Now for Nintendo to swoop in, tidy the game up and release it on the Switch. :p

It's a shame. It was one of the games I was planning to get if I ended up getting a Scorpio :/

Oh no... Please say it ain't so...

Platinum Games don't need this. Not now. Please don't be true :(

Now for Nintendo to swoop in, tidy the game up and release it on the Switch. :p

I would jokingly wish for this, but sadly MS own the Scalebound IP...

Mind you though, they have sold back IP to their original developers before (like with Press Play), so it's not completely impossible...

Edited by Dcubed

I wonder if Platinum Games are being spread too thin? They seem to be developing games left and right and I'm wondering if this is causing a strain on the teams.

This generation hasn't been kind to Microsoft at all, especially with software. New IP from Black Tusk, Fable Legends, Scalebound, Phantom Dust all cancelled. They really are a Forza/Gears/Halo company and two of those franchises are on the decline and seen better days.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I wonder if Platinum Games are being spread too thin? They seem to be developing games left and right and I'm wondering if this is causing a strain on the teams.

They definitiely are. They're taking on way too much, but then again, they kind of have to in order to survive...

It's a real shame that they've had to work on these crummy Activision licensed titles as of late (and now this weird Cygames project). I'm really worried about them as they're quickly running out of potential partners to work with as these Japanese publishers continuously give up on consoles. If S-E don't call upon them to work on something else after Nier Automata (which, given the lagging sales of FF15, is pretty likely to put them off high budget console game development going forward); they're pretty much entierly reliant on Nintendo to get the chance to work on the kinds of games they want to make going forward (unless maybe if Sony give them a project; can't see any other publisher working with them on a console title).

They definitiely are. They're taking on way too much, but then again, they kind of have to in order to survive...

It's a real shame that they've had to work on these crummy Activision licensed titles as of late (and now this weird Cygames project). I'm really worried about them as they're quickly running out of potential partners to work with as these Japanese publishers continuously give up on consoles. If S-E don't call upon them to work on something else after Nier Automata (which, given the lagging sales of FF15, is pretty likely to put them off high budget console game development going forward); they're pretty much entierly reliant on Nintendo to get the chance to work on the kinds of games they want to make going forward (unless maybe if Sony give them a project; can't see any other publisher working with them on a console title).

I can't see Nier being a commercial success either, no matter how stylish it looks. Platinum seem to be at their best when they make these quirky, niche kind of games but sadly these games don't really pay the bills. There's a reason why many developers play it safe these days with their sequels and focused tested games.

After Star Fox Zero & Wonderful 101 bombing though, I do wonder if Nintendo may be hesitant in giving Platinum more contracts too

Liam Robertson is hinting at some things he's been hearing about the game's development... Nasty things...

TBH, I already knew that Microsoft were meddling in the game's development. Kamiya has actually been public about this in several interviews and has not so subtly hinted that MS have been doing some corporate meddling...

I can't see Nier being a commercial success either, no matter how stylish it looks. Platinum seem to be at their best when they make these quirky, niche kind of games but sadly these games don't really pay the bills. There's a reason why many developers play it safe these days with their sequels and focused tested games.

Very true and very sad. I can't see Nier being a big success either, as much as I want it to be.

Nintendo can't afford to take on all of their projects though. They don't have the kind of money to support a developer as large as Platinum. Very worried about P's future.

After Star Fox Zero & Wonderful 101 bombing though, I do wonder if Nintendo may be hesitant in giving Platinum more contracts too

Of course not, don't be ridiculous. I'm sure that Nintendo are more than happy to work with them. They're the absolute best at what they do and Nintendo have developed a very strong working relationship with them. They also have a similar development philosophy to Nintendo and are exactly the kind of development partner they need. They're gonna be a key partner for Nintendo going forward.

But I can't see Nintendo being able to take on all of Platinum's projects. They're just too large a developer for Nintendo to foot the bills for; but with their potential partners outside of Nintendo drying up fast, I reckon they're gonna struggle.

Edit: It's confirmed now @Hero\-of\-Time@Serebii

http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-exclusive-scalebound-has-been-canceled

Screw you Microsoft! Come on Nintendo! Swoop in, buy the IP and save PG!

Edit 2: Liam Robertson is reporting that PG is safe as a partner of Nintendo's, thankfully, so it seems that the problems stem from Microsoft's side...

Edited by Dcubed

Yeah, from the sounds of it Microsoft kept wanting the game changed from the original vision. It was the same situation with Phantom Dust. They were very demanding, whated the game overhauled but wouldn't splash the cash for such changes.

Kamiya is said to be in a bit of a rough state, mentally. :(

I can see the lower development cost of Switch games really suiting Platinum games. They've already got a good relationship with Nintendo and hopefully the Switch will resonate with the Japanese.

Sad to hear about Scalebound but I'm not too surprised.

Oh shi... :(

I'm more concerned about this game being cancelled of course, awful news for Platinum Games...

...but I actually put money down for a pre-order on a two games for £80 deal (plus staff discount) effectively getting me the game for £32, I guess I'm going to have to put a call in tomorrow; or play a very long waiting game. :hmm:

I still hope this game has a future in some form or another though, it would be a great shame to see it scrapped.