N-Europe

Glasses

Goafer

So I've noticed a fair few of us on here are of the "speccy" variety so I figured I'd ask about people's experience with the damn things.

About a year or so ago I switched to contacts, since I found using a camera eyepiece a massive ball ache. Since then, I haven't felt the need to go back to glasses, to the point that my old ones broke and I haven't bothered to replace them. I do prefer how I looked in glasses, but it's not worth the faff. They got dirty/smeared, they rendered me basically blind if it rained and they fell off my face if I had to move at awkward angles (working on cars etc). It's safe to say I hate wearing glasses.

156740_10150348028835341_7442318_n.jpg

547528_10200912880934599_329591224_n.jpg

That said, I do love my aviator sunglasses. I guess that's since I don't have to wear them all day. Plus, the 80s.

So what is everyone elses views on glasses/contacts/laser eye surgery? Either people's experiences with wearing them, or others opinions of those who do.

Edited by Goafer

I love wearing them. Fun facial accessory mitigating the fact two of the most important parts of your body are broken.

They also complete and help distinguish some people's faces, like long or short hair, beards and piercings. Some people just look right with certain looks, I dunno.

The best part is seeing someone else in glasses and that slightly empty look you share knowing you both would have been "right fucked" in medieval times.

I think I'll be content to wear glasses for the rest of my life, but I am horrified at the deterioration of my eyes so wouldn't rule laser out. Is it possible to fix them a little bit so you just need slightly weaker lenses?

Never tried contacts. The concept seems weird and uncomfortable and I can't push 'em up my nose to look intelligent for a brief moment.

Edited by Guy

I was told I needed specs about 4 years ago. I got a pair, and didn't mind wearing them (plus the added vision I was missing was kinda comforting / welcome for driving etc :heh: ) but I found when I was playing tennis I started to struggle.

I went back to the opticians and asked for contact lenses and have worn them ever since. More so than glasses.

I hardly ever wear them now but I did get told on a recent contact lens check up that I had to stop wearing my lenses every day as my eye moisture level was lower than what it should be. I tend to wear my lenses every day and as they're dailies I keep them in from like 6 in the morning til 9 at night. It's just too much.

I bought a pair of Ray Bans specs to wear and when I wear them for work I get loads of people telling me how much they suit me. It's strange for me, as I personally don't like wearing them! But it's always reassuring to hear people compliment them.

I have tried to cut my lens wearing down and now I have a pair of glasses I'm comfortable wearing, I'm able to give my eyes a welcome break from lenses.

Never considered laser eye or anything. Don't think it interests me. I'd hate the idea of something going wrong! Plus, as annoying as lenses are and as much as I HATE putting them in (even after 4 years of doing it), wearing glasses can sometimes be fun.

I've been wearing glasses for the majority of my life and so they just feel like a natural extension of me at this point; I feel naked without them. They're not without their issues, though, as Goafer mentioned, but I've never been able to stand the idea of putting in contacts. Laser surgery is a more likely alternative for me, but it seems like such a huge thing.

I wear glasses for driving, cinema etc. I probably should wear them more, but i don't like it, and think i look silly with them on. Admittedly, my current glasses aren't particularly stylish, but i can't bring myself to buy another pair and look like a fucking hipster.

I do get annoyed when i see people wearing glasses as a fashion accessory (i.e. they have no prescription lenses in them). I'm not sure why. I think i just feel like us people who have to put up with having a disability should be the only ones who benefit from them not they are a bit fashionable, and not just any bell-end who wants to pretend they are disabled because it's cool now.

I do have a problem with my glasses though that if i wear them for too long, or wear them while looking at a close up computer screen, i get a headache. Does anyone else get that? Or is my prescription just a bit off?

I've been told to try contacts many times, but i just ain't having it. I don't care what everyone says, poking yourself in the eye isn't ever going to feel natural to me.

I went back to the opticians and asked for contact lenses and have worn them ever since. More so than glasses.

I hardly ever wear them now but I did get told on a recent contact lens check up that I had to stop wearing my lenses every day as my eye moisture level was lower than what it should be. I tend to wear my lenses every day and as they're dailies I keep them in from like 6 in the morning til 9 at night. It's just too much.

I do that too. At first my eyes would get dry after wearing them for around 12 hours, but now they're generally ok until I go to bed.

I do find my eyes get particularly dry on cold/windy days though, as well as if I have the heater on in the car for too long. It's nothing compared to the hassle of glasses though.

I absolutely loathe glasses and dislike wearing them. They, to me, are a barrier. Sometimes I feel that I am looking through the world through somebody else's eyes when wearing them.

I only wear them for driving and playing games. In the past, I used contact lenses for a year but found them (at the time) pretty expensive and irritating to put in. I'm tempted to give them a second crack and see how I get on.

Sunglasses are one of my absolute pet hates, especially how people in this country will use them as a fashion accessory. It looks ridiculous to see people wearing sunglasses in areas where you are IN THE SHADE or indoors...or even those stupid oversized glasses that women wear that make you look like some kind of BrundleFly/Bono cross-breed.

Edit: Loooool, just read @Dr\. bob's post...great minds, eh? (I read the opening post and hit reply straight away)

I like my glasses. Been wearing them since I was what, 13? They're basically part of me now (Can't even imagine how else I would do my "Eyes above the glasses" expression).

Truth be told, I can still read just fine without glasses, and the only times my sight has ever bothered me was at the beach, or doing some physical activity, and I needed to see something far away. So, rarely.

I can't imagine myself wearing contact lenses. My sister does, so I know how bothersome they can get, but it's putting something in and out of my eyes that irks me the most. Laser eye surgery might be something to consider in the future, but I don't have any interest right now, either.

Sunglasses are one of my absolute pet hates, especially how people in this country will use them as a fashion accessory. It looks ridiculous to see people wearing sunglasses in areas where you are IN THE SHADE or indoors...or even those stupid oversized glasses that women wear that make you look like some kind of BrundleFly/Bono cross-breed.

I don't mind them being used as fashion accessories since some people do look good in them and it's no different from wearing a hat or jewelry or other non functional clothing. I agree that people who wear them indoors/on massively overcast days just look silly though.

I merely wear mine to see middle distance onwards. If I have them feels I'll upgrade to contacts which I have some of.

I do get annoyed when i see people wearing glasses as a fashion accessory (i.e. they have no prescription lenses in them). I'm not sure why. I think i just feel like us people who have to put up with having a disability should be the only ones who benefit from them not they are a bit fashionable, and not just any bell-end who wants to pretend they are disabled because it's cool now.

Urgh, I hate that. I don't know what it is that makes a girl want to think that having half inch thick specs is somehow "cool", I wouldn't even wear those prescription.

I got mine at the age of six because I was basically blind - I rested my forehead on the paper when drawing because I could then see what I drew. This means that the glasses are HUGE, like… 1 cm thick in the middle and they make my eyes huge. I do not in any way look good with glasses.

So at the age of 17 I turned to contacts. This was a great decision! I feel that I can do much more without worry, doing sports is easier, and I don't feel that I look (as) stupid anymore - I hated how people looked at me because my eyes were enormous, and I still hate that when I for some reason have to wear glasses in public.

One minor thing about the contacts, though, is that in the evenings it gets harder to see because I get tired and thus my eyes get more dry, clouding my contacts. Furthermore, you always have to be prepared when you need to sleep. You need to have your stuff with you so you can't just crash at a friend's place if you hadn't anticipated it.

I've worn glasses since I was 4 so I really don't have an issue with them. I tried contacts a few times but they annoyed the heck out of me - my eyes are quite sensitive and prone to infections, and the contacts i needed were monthly ones for astigmatism.

My sister had laser surgery and she loved it, has absolutely no problems with her sight :)

I've worn glasses since I was 4 so I really don't have an issue with them. I tried contacts a few times but they annoyed the heck out of me - my eyes are quite sensitive and prone to infections, and the contacts i needed were monthly ones for astigmatism.

My sister had laser surgery and she loved it, has absolutely no problems with her sight :)

I have astigmatism and I can't seem to cope with the special dailies lenses. If I wear contacts they have to be for those regular round eyes everyone else has.

I love my contacts, I could not go to wearing glasses. I have been wearing contacts for more than 10 years now I think and it just helps so much. I do have glasses for in the evening when I am at home, but I really don't like wearing them. When I wear them for a few hours, they end up giving me a headache, especially when I am using a computer/laptop. Plus I hate how you have to turn your head to see something to the side of you, or how the glasses get dirty.

Not that contacts are without problems, but I find them so much better to wear. Though I guess it depends on the brand as well. I had to switch to a different brand a few months ago as they seem to stop selling mine, but I don't like my current ones. They keep making my eyes go dry and blurry and can be irritating...

What brands do people use here that they are happy with? I want to find a better brand but not sure what to go for. =)

What brands do people use here that they are happy with? I want to find a better brand but not sure what to go for. =)

I used to use Specsavers' own brand, but I started getting Bausch and Lomb since they were cheaper and basically the same. Also, Specsavers kept giving me either the wrong prescription or completely wrong lenses, which were less than comfortable to say the least.

I get them from Here if you want to take a look for yourself.