Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo and Online Gaming. What's The Deal?

Hero-of-Time

There really isn't any good reason to not have voice chat, its entire optional in its use, parental controls can restrict it......

On the subject of parental controls, i've seen the defence to no voice chat be used that ignorance to them by parents is obviously why nintendo haven't included it, to avoid criticism/law suites and maintain their kid friendly image....

Do people forget the e-shop had a ban on 18+ games due to the same fears and it caused uproar, nobody defended that it was widely criticised as irrational, behind the times and anti consumer! everyone said parental controls were the solution and they tested them and found parental controls were considered good enough (for German law in this instance) to prove the company did enough to prevent harm to children.....HOW DOES THIS NOT WASH FOR VOICE CHAT TOO? hmmm?

If people are too ignorant to watch their children, and are happy to blindly let them go online and look at 4chan, chat with old men or what ever then good for them, it is not Nintendo's problem or duty to parent other peoples children, its their duty to offer all they can to provide a safe service.

The people who let their children on line unsupervised and then complain when something happens, like they rack up $10000 on candy crush, or they've bought a house through credit or what ever are the same people who fell for the water proof iOS 7 meme and the how to straighten out a power outlet with a fork - Darwin award winners

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There really isn't any good reason to not have voice chat, its entire optional in its use, parental controls can restrict it......

On the subject of parental controls, i've seen the defence to no voice chat be used that ignorance to them by parents is obviously why nintendo haven't included it, to avoid criticism/law suites and maintain their kid friendly image....

Do people forget the e-shop had a ban on 18+ games due to the same fears and it caused uproar, nobody defended that it was widely criticised as irrational, behind the times and anti consumer! everyone said parental controls were the solution and they tested them and found parental controls were considered good enough (for German law in this instance) to prove the company did enough to prevent harm to children.....HOW DOES THIS NOT WASH FOR VOICE CHAT TOO? hmmm?

If people are too ignorant to watch their children, and are happy to blindly let them go online and look at 4chan, chat with old men or what ever then good for them, it is not Nintendo's problem or duty to parent other peoples children, its their duty to offer all they can to provide a safe service.

The people who let their children on line unsupervised and then complain when something happens, like they rack up $10000 on candy crush, or they've bought a house through credit or what ever are the same people who fell for the water proof iOS 7 meme and the how to straighten out a power outlet with a fork - Darwin award winners

Actually the 18+ restriction on the eShop was due to German law that, for some inexplicable reason (I think due to everything being processed and run out of Frankfurt) was enforced to the entire continent. It wasn't due to them trying to protect the kids.

Actually the 18+ restriction on the eShop was due to German law that, for some inexplicable reason (I think due to everything being processed and run out of Frankfurt) was enforced to the entire continent. It wasn't due to them trying to protect the kids.

Splitting hairs there, the German law is a law designed to restrict adult content from Children

Some users are saying the lack of voice chat is designed to protect children and maintain the child friendly image

Those two still go hand in hand, only one Nintendo had a genuine fall guy to blame it on, the other is officially speaking reasonless

You said "they refuse to provide gamers with what they want". I argue that what gamers want is quality games.

You always say nintendo make the most quality games, I agree. But the wii U is a bomb, so obviously gamers don't just want quality games.

They want quality experiences top to bottom, and online and social services are becoming increasingly important to the broader gaming community.

Edited by dazzybee

You always say no te do make the most quality games, I agree. But the wii U is a bomb, so obviously gamers don't just want quality games.

They want quality experiences top to bottom, and online and social services are becoming increasingly important to the broader gaming community.

If Splatoon had voice chat, and the Wii U had incredible online integration and social features, I don't think it would be any difference to sales figures. Mainstream gaming has moved on to vacuous cinematic games where realistic cutscenes, shooters and/or hack and slash gameplay is king.

If Splatoon had voice chat, and the Wii U had incredible online integration and social features, I don't think it would be any difference to sales figures. Mainstream gaming has moved on to vacuous cinematic games where realistic cutscenes, shooters and/or hack and slash gameplay is king.

Well one game can only do so much, but the start of really improving these services would start to have a real impact. Their attitude to online, to social, to communication is so bad they're not taken as a serious contender in this industry. And things like Splatoon exemplify that. Turns people away.

And again, you come up with a different reason, so gamers don't want great games, now the just want vacuous cinematic games... Make up you're mind. I'd say that want a bit of everything. But I feel these services are becoming ever more important and Nintendo need to realise quickly. Especially as three no reason for them to gimp stuff like this. None.

Wouldn't it be mad if Nintendo announce in the next Direct that there's party chat coming to Wii U via a new downloadable patch? Highly unlikely but one can dream? Strange that Splatoon no voice chat at all whereas Smash Bros. and MK8 at least let you chat with friends in the lobby. I thought the idea is to be progressive not regressive.

Wouldn't it be mad if Nintendo announce in the next Direct that there's party chat coming to Wii U via a new downloadable patch? Highly unlikely but one can dream? Strange that Splatoon no voice chat at all whereas Smash Bros. and MK8 at least let you chat with friends in the lobby. I thought the idea is to be progressive not regressive.

You know I thought the same, as the only logical explanation as to why this wouldn't have voice chat... But we're all really grasping at straws now...

That's the thing, if anything their attitude towards, and game features within, online has regressed this generation. They were better with the Wii!

I wouldn't say that, mario kart and smash have SOME online voice chat, they've embraced DLC, the eshop, and even online modes more. Not saying it's great, but it's better than the Wii by some stretch!

A patch to have party chat on the console would solve everything :) Is the machine even capable of that?!

I wouldn't say that, mario kart and smash have SOME online voice chat, they've embraced DLC, the eshop, and even online modes more. Not saying it's great, but it's better than the Wii by some stretch!

A patch to have party chat on the console would solve everything :) Is the machine even capable of that?!

Well in MKWii you could set up a group of friends and then search for global online races along with randoms. You can't even do that on MK8!

Well in MKWii you could set up a group of friends and then search for global online races along with randoms. You can't even do that on MK8!

^^^^This!

I don't understand for the life of me why when they got some many things right with Mario Kart Wii (it is the best MK game to date) they then went back and stripped out a lot of the best features!

The amazing online leaderboards for time trials, the ability to party up before a race and go in as a team and even small things like no map on the screen.

If they just built on Wii and added voice chat and maybe better stat tracking, it would have been perfect.

When you have a great system, there's no point starting from scratch, just polish what you've got!

^^^^This!

I don't understand for the life of me why when they got some many things right with Mario Kart Wii (it is the best MK game to date) they then went back and stripped out a lot of the best features!

The amazing online leaderboards for time trials, the ability to party up before a race and go in as a team and even small things like no map on the screen.

If they just built on Wii and added voice chat and maybe better stat tracking, it would have been perfect.

When you have a great system, there's no point starting from scratch, just polish what you've got!

A shame that the vehicle balance was god-awful though. It might as well have been called Funky Bike.

• 2 weeks later...
- Edge magazine says "Splatoon has no voice chat and never will". Amano says: "This is coming from personal experience. When I played online games, I didn't like the negativity I got and people telling me 'You're crap. Go away'. So we wanted to focus on the positive aspects of online gaming". Amano says he's not saying that chat in an online game can't contribute to fun but they want to grab new players.

This is such a shoddy reason. He's not wrong about randoms saying stuff like this but what about when playing with friends? It seems like it's all or nothing with Nintendo. Why they can't just make it so you can talk to people on your friends list is beyond me. :wtf:

Splatoon is I believe now aimed at the age on the box after reading the EDGE article. The voice chat decision and their reasoning is annoying, as is the 45 challenge quests and 15 rare items locked on the disk. Didn't take long for amiibo to turn into a launch DLC paywall. If this was Capcom, EA or Ubisoft the pitchforks would be out.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!