N-Europe

Tech Hints and Tips

Ashley

[ripped from Not Always Right]

This is only mildly related to the thread, but need to moan.

So on Monday I had a meeting with a department in which they just wanted to blame everything wrong on the IT system. Fine, do that if you wish. They brought up that recently they were informed that they could right click and open a link in a new tab. This apparently changed their world and they were outraged that we never told them.

I'm sorry, are we supposed to teach everyone THE VERY BASICS OF INTERNET BROWSING?!

I don't expect people to be experts and yeah, a lot of people may not know that, but if we were to spend our time going over the very basics we'd never have time to do our actual work.

Silly folks.

Edited by Ashley

That you are.

This is only mildly related to the thread, but need to moan.

So on Monday I had a meeting with a department in which they just wanted to blame everything wrong on the IT system. Fine, do that if you wish. They brought up that recently they were informed that they could right click and open a link in a new tab. This apparently changed their world and they were outraged that we never told them.

I'm sorry, are we supposed to teach everyone THE VERY BASICS OF INTERNET BROWSING?!

I don't expect people to be experts and yeah, a lot of people may not know that, but if we were to spend our time going over the very basics we'd never have time to do our actual work.

Silly folks.

Man, when I realised/made the transition to realise a middle button/wheel click could do this shit for me; Mind = BLOWN. Was only like a bloody year ago too!

I used the wheel click to open a new tab while showing someone something and she was like "How did you do that?!". She's not exactly IT illiterate either.

Some keyboard shortcuts in Chrome/Firefox, not sure about IE:

CTRL + SHIFT + T = Reopen closed tab

CTRL + L = Focus on address bar

CTRL + K/E = Search from the address bar

CTRL + ENTER when typing in the address bar will automatically add www. and .com.

The only Windows shortcut I use most is WIN Key + L to lock my machine.

Edited by Ike

I am sure everyone will know this but it was a revelation for me when I discovered it a few months back.

Wait for it.

Windows Key + D for Desktop.

I actually only got the D a few months back. Always had a 'show desktop' in the quick launch bar(and Win7 has the one in bottom corner built in). However at work no such luxury afforded, and it drived me mad for ages. Sadly, around the time I discovered the D, I also discovered I could add the quick launch bar(though this is recent after a big system upgrade dealie jazz).

Here's one many don't know: Ctrl+Shift+Esc opens up the task manager directly, bypassing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete menu.

I didn't! Banging stuff, I like to use/open Task Manager a lot, so that'll be handy if I remember!

Also Chrome has its own task manager for tabs etc(helpful when something's being shitty) that iirc can be opened with a shift+escape from within Chrome. I sometimes need to use it to end Flash when it's monging out.