N-Europe

Unified Accounts Problem Still Not Solved

Hero-of-Time

Q: As someone who's made a pretty significant investment in digital purchases for 3DS, I feel there may be some games that work better on 2DS than on 3DS -- Virtual Console, for instance. But the 3DS games that have 3D functionality, I'd rather keep them on the 3DS. It's not really possible to do that...

Scott Moffitt: It's not tied to an account. Yeah. We haven't solved that yet.

Q: Are you working on solving it? It sounds like, to date, Nintendo has been pretty content to keep things as they are.

Scott Moffitt: If you look at the account system, the network ID system that exists now on Wii U, that's an effort for us to move beyond a device-centric approach to an account-centric approach. But we haven't done it on the handheld side of the business at this point. We hear that feedback. We hear that criticism, or whatever you want to call it, from time to time. We're not blind to it. But it's not something we've solved.

Seriously, how long is it gonna take them to catch up to the rest of the industry in regards to this matter?

Some things which confuse me about this.

1. The Wii Shop Channel was not 100% stuck on a Wii. Nintendo did not need both consoles to transfer licences - they could do it on their servers.

2. I can log into my Nintendo of Europe account and see all my digitally purchased Wii, DSi, 3DS and Wii U games. My purchases are already tied to an account.

It's not as easy as that

Yet MS, PS, Google, IOS, etc etc all have unified accounts on day 1. I'm sorry but Nintendo designed the 3DS and Wii U without a unified account system in place. They didnt have too but chose too even though this is an outdated way of doing things which hurts the consumer.

Yet MS, PS, Google, IOS, etc etc all have unified accounts on day 1. I'm sorry but Nintendo designed the 3DS and Wii U without a unified account system in place. They didnt have too but chose too even though this is an outdated way of doing things which hurts the consumer.

Yes...on day one. Not retroactively. To retroactively do it requires a lot of finetuning, testing etc., especially if multiple consoles are in question.

As such, they can't just "get it done". It takes work

Yes...on day one. Not retroactively. To retroactively do it requires a lot of finetuning, testing etc., especially if multiple consoles are in question.

So the real problem was not implementing the industry standard in the first place. Why not? There was no excuse other than they want people to buy the same software more than once.

As much as i'd love them to just get it done, you will probably be right on this, that they are constantly doing something so this doesn't balls up, i mean imagine if they implemented an account system wrong and it glitched and it lost records of your games, or worse still did something random like syncing your machine with their server and removed games.... there is potential for it to go wrong

still i want it sooner rather than later

So the real problem was not implementing the industry standard in the first place. Why not? There was no excuse other than they want people to buy the same software more than once.

You realise that they don't actually have the ability to go back in time to rectify this, correct?

You realise that they don't actually have the ability to go back in time to rectify this, correct?

I never said they did. I dont see how that's an excuse though. They fucked up and hopefully now going forward with all HW we will see the industry standard account system implemented.

Yes, over 2 years is such a short space of time to implement this and I agree with liger that we shouldn't even be having this discussion.

And multiple systems? Why does that even need to be happening with the Wii U?

I think Nintendo are going to duck and dive on this until their next systems launch. They probably could implement it on the current hardware/software OS, but they don't seem to want to. The obvious solution is for everyone to boycott the eShop until it happens, but that's not exactly easy when they're sucking everyone in with download bundles and promotions every few months.

I think Nintendo are going to duck and dive on this until their next systems launch. They probably could implement it on the current hardware/software OS, but they don't seem to want to. The obvious solution is for everyone to boycott the eShop until it happens, but that's not exactly easy when they're sucking everyone in with download bundles and promotions every few months.

Wii U, sure. 3DS, no I honestly don't believe it's as easy as you think

It's stupid, the Wii U doesnt' really have an account system either. I made a Miiverse account on my friend's Wii U before I got my own and it wouldn't let me log in so I had to make a new one! What is even point of accounts if you can only use them on one console?

Well it's nice to finally hear confirmation that they are aware about, about it even if it wasn't exactly the answer we wanted. At least it seems they are working on something.

But yeah, it will be hard to retroactively add it to the 3DS. Unless they just use the Club Nintendo account instead of the NNiD, but I don't think the CN is implemented the same way across different regions.

Redownloads of digital purchases should be possible through Club Nintendo linked purchases. Everyone will link their Club Nintendo account to their system and Nintendo will issue Spotpass prompts to customers urging them to follow this configuration, enjoy the points benefits and cover their backs. The notifications will alert players that purchases made before Club Nintendo accounts are linked cannot be redownloaded if the system is lost.

Now Club Nintendo has been linked to the system, a digital software purchase is made. Customers with their Club Nintendo account linked on the system will then be able to load the eShop, visit the "previously downloaded software" tab and redownload the digital purchases bound to their Club Nintendo account.

Of course this configuration opens the system to being exploited and I haven't figured out a way around that yet. How do Xbox and Playstation do it? They have an account-based system that should be open to exploitation but doesn't seem to be.