NEurope
bluey

Fix Bluey's boring life!!

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. - Death, Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Here's what's happening RIGHT NOW in my life: I'm sitting on the sofa watching youtube vloggers thinking that i'd really like to give vlogging a try (i'm annoying enough, right?!) and then it hits me - my life is kinda boring. I wouldn't have anything to vlog ABOUT to begin with.

So i tried to come up with some ideas - what hobbies do i have?

my definition of a hobby is thus:

An activity that i do regularly for pleasure that does not involve a screen.

many thanks to google:define for most of that, I added the screen bit in myself, because to me - watching youtube videos or compiling pinterest boards is not a hobby...

so here were my initial thoughts:

1. sewing, crochet, knitting, etc - PROBLEM - i'm completely turned off by this as a hobby - don't know what it is about sewing/etc, i just can't get into it.

lionscarf13.jpg

nope.

2. baking - PROBLEM - been there, done that, got the plus-sized t-shirt and would really like to lose some weight (and before you say it, no, i can't just bake for other people - there are bowls to be licked! i'm weak. WEAK I TELL YOU!)

c1B4b0dOdm5Wemcx_o_adventure-time-cupcakes--nerdy-nummies.jpg

nope.

3. reading - PROBLEM - ok. while reading falls nicely into my definition of a hobby, it's something that i already do as like, a part of my day. it's like those people who list eating as a hobby on their CV (seriously - that actually happens.) it's just.... no.

twilight_reading_by_mixermike622-d41k5e4.jpg

nope.

but YAY! look! non-anorexic human representation of ponies - learn well, the hub. learn well. smh

and after that i'm floating in a sea of question marks. #overlydramatic

so, n-e forums, i put my life in your hands. (ohgodohgodohgod)

suggest a hobby you think i may enjoy, or (by all means!!) recommend YOUR hobbies for me to try, and i do hereby solemnly swear to choose and try one hobby per week(*) AND report back to you guys from now until such time as my life is exciting.

B485551A-FAB2-931A-8FA82AAD7718BA07.jpg

You're bored of married life already? :heh:

I'd suggest video games, but I guess that's hard to do without a screen.

The two things that I'm doing at the moment:

Exercise, but I wouldn't really say it's a hobby. Like reading is for you, it's part of my daily life. Also, it encompasses so many things that you'll most likely find at least one way of exercising that you'll enjoy. Could be swimming, running, jogging, lifting weights (seriously addictive and fun), or a sport of some kind. I'm playing lots of squash at the moment. :D

Learn another language. I'm re-learning/learning/improving my Spanish and Dutch at the moment, so you could always try that. It then opens you up to the idea of foreign films and books and even music. :D

Those are my two suggestions.

Foruming. That's the best hobby. Alas, screens are once more involved.

How about trying one of your existing hobbies in a non-screen version...like tabletop gaming instead of video gaming!

Photography.

Amd photograph one thing every day and at the end of the week you'll have some things to talk about.

Heh, I faced the same problem when I tried my hand at vlogging a year and a half back - my daily life simply isn't eventful enough. :heh:

Lately I've been toying with the idea of trying my hand at let's-playing. Not to become famous or popular, but just for my own sake. I think that's the important thing: You should vlog for your own sake, not for others'. Though with the screen clause I guess the let's-play idea isn't viable for you.

I'm afraid I don't have any specific ideas at the moment. :woops:

see guys? it's hard to think of something without screens, right??

How about trying one of your existing hobbies in a non-screen version...like tabletop gaming instead of video gaming!

ahh, i like this - tho at the moment i'm pretty much just playing animal crossing so unless i start collecting fish or gardening (we don't have a garden...)?! ha. no, i get it - great idea!

Geocaching. Do it.

ah, i'm there already! jamba and i actually have a TB all the way out in japan trying to make it's way back to us in the UK. caching is cool, but kinda an occasional hobby for me... like, as and when we just happen to be somewhere new, we don't really have the money to go places specifically to hunt caches.. :sad:

waldo-pancake-may-contain-moths-purse-1133-0-1343748143000.jpg

My current hobbies:

Reading

Photography

Swimming (I love it!)

Travelling (its a little harder/more expensive, but its definitely a thing)

cosplay (its remarkably difficult!)

decorating

singing (although I've not let anyone hear me yet.)

I'm tempted to take up kayaking and horse riding again, but the issue at the moment is they are quite expensive.

Vlogging is a pretty cool thing to do, I don't see why you can't just start doing it and experimenting with how the video is made with Sony Vegas or After effects? It'll mean you learn something and put out videos at the same time.

I recommend some kind of a class, something you can challenge yourself with and give you a useful skill while interacting with others. I pay £40 a month for karate classes and it's one of the most challenging & fulfilling things I've done with myself. You could also learn a musical instrument (thinking about trying at the cello again), learn a language, learn to fix your car or bike, learn to code, learn to play a sport, or maybe just try a fitness class. For me the social element can be a major plus for any hobby and keep you engaged with it.

Kind of inline with what others have suggested:

-Exercise. Always gives you a great adrenaline rush/feel good feeling, especially if you have a goal to work towards. A form of martial arts is always a good shout :)

-getting into a new tv show. I've found netflix to be great for this, especially shows like West Wing and Breaking Bad. Do it.

-learn a random language. Vietnamese? Portugese? Scouse? The world is your oyster!

Sorry, my hobbies are all boring so I can't suggest them. Jigsaws, crosswords, shitty raps, drinking my own weight in alcohohol. That last one is tough because you can never remember whether you succeeded or not.

I'm with Gaggle64...

Take a night class at a local college - Most evening classes start up again in September. You may even get them free (depending on personal circumstances/previous qualifications held). If not free, you can usually pay monthly over the year meaning it's affordable.

There are literally hundreds of courses you can do at colleges or online via places like the Open University.

Where I work we have short £10 courses like 'The Whitechapel murders' and 'Basic Car maintenance/plumbing/creative writing' etc.

There should be something you can do course wise.

It will not only allow you to learn new skills or improve old ones - you will also meet new people and grow as a person from learning.

Also: learning to play an instrument is always fun and can be cheaply done. EDIT: As Jon suggests too!

Hope this helps!

Edited by tapedeck

Geocaching. Do it.

pat and i went caching yesterday - we decided to drive out to Hook Norton as we could see there was a trail of caches on a circular walk there. got all but 3! had a great day out...

Doodle, i sometimes do that. Can be done off-screen.

1185916_10151503349257554_729097623_n.jpg

Photography

1209067_10151531722487554_49020739_n.jpg

1234266_10151534733957554_1712557481_n.jpg

(jamba, not posing... he just happened to be pointing out the waterlillies to me)

1175745_10151534734817554_1339356916_n.jpg

Is there anything you always wanted to do?

i've ALWAYS wanted to skydive, preferably for charity - but have no idea how to go about arranging that. anyone know?! :heart:

I also tried my hand at recreating some nerdy nummies..

1002856_10151536554542554_576728710_n.jpg

I LOVE Nerdy Nummies! Holy crap, I've always wanted to copy what Ro does, but she's always got some really cool things and I never have the damn time.

:D