N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Well for now I think I'm ok for space and stuff, I was just kinda curious on it. Bit of a shame you can't partition it but oh well. It plays just as fair with USB sticks right?

USB sticks do work, but they don't recommend it as they're not designed for constant Read/Write cycles like external HDDs are.

They're fine for the short term, but I wouldn't want to keep save files on there for too long as they will eventually get damaged from the constant Read/Write access (that kind of flash memory has a limit on how many times it can be rewritten).

Ahh, ok ty. Though surely the Wii U's own internal memory is similar NAND flash? I'll see if I can source an old laptop drive or so if/when I need one.

Yeah, but its much more durable than what you would find in USB memory sticks. They're typically the cheapest and poorest quality types of flash memory you can get (which is why they're cheap!), so they're not really well suited to long term storage.

They'll do for the short term though, but I would recommend getting a HDD eventually. They're dirt cheap anyway!

I have a USB flash stick for my Wii U, reading data from flash memory is fine but writing data is where they have a limit, once you hit the limit you can still play games from them but you won't be able to save any data. It takes years for flash memory to wear out so I wouldn't worry about it, USB flash sticks are a cheap way to extend your Wii U's memory while waiting for a good deal on a hard drive :D

It's like the makings of the best advert for the Nintendo Wii U.... that Nintendo never thought of. Get this playing on TVs/in cinemas and it'll really get across properly that the "Wii U" is not a tablet accessory for the Wii but a new console (can't believe they still struggle to get that point across), then add on some game footage to finish it off

Dropped my gamepad and smashed it. Can I buy a new one from nintendo?

Im absolutely gutted

In the US they charge like $150 to replace a gamepad with a new one.

Its a total bump considering how much the pad costs to produce. Check with nintendo but if they ask for anything over £100 I would leave it and just wait to buy a new console when it hits £150.

I was playing over a table and just dropped and smashed. :(

I thought maybe you raged at CoD and threw your pad. Bad luck, dude. :(

In other news, a bunch of new bundles were announced in Japan.

set01_photo.png

set02_photo.png

Bundle 1 (32,800 yen):

32GB Wii U + NSMBU + Wii Party U + Sensor Bar + Wiimote + 30 days of Karaoke service

Bundle 2 (34,800 yen):

32GB Wii U + NSMBU + Wii Party U + Wii Fit U + Sensor Bar + Fit Meter + Wiimote + 30 days of Karaoke service

*Bundle 2 does not come with Balance Board

*All software is pre-installed on the system

Both release October 31st.

The vanilla premium bundle is 31,500 yen (sans Nintendo Land), so this is a pretty good deal. Also comes with the Wii Party U stand for using the system horizontally on tables.

Note:

1. Regular Wii U Premium does not include the Sensor Bar in Japan

2. It does include the Deluxe Program for money back on digital purchases

3. The remote included is a Remote Plus and matches the color of the system

4. There is no Wind Waker HD bundle in Japan

Taking advantage of the lack of PS4 this winter in Japan.

Now that's how you do it, Nintendo

Bit of a shame that they didn't pre-load Wii Sports Club on that as well. Would've made the package look even better (and wouldn't have cost them anything since the base game is free)

I was playing over a table and just dropped and smashed. :(
Smashed?! :o Wow.

I know Nintendo's quality control isn't quite as good as it used to be (I had to take my GamePad apart in order to remove a loose screw :heh:), but they're still right up there when it comes to designing durable hardware, I'm mean look at this:

Those bundles are insane! I wonder if they will do similar things in the West?

Surely if they don't fly off the shelves nothing will? They work out at just over £200, that really is superb, especially considering they come with a Mario game and a Wii Remote+.

I wish they had launched the 32GB version in white at launch. My black Wii U is a nightmare to keep clean.

So now they've got the price right they need to push the button on the marketing...

Rang nintendo up this morning. The man told me that they have quite a few gamepads sent in for repairs with people dropping them.

They have sent me a postal label. I just need to get a box and some bubble wrap then will send it to them.

Im still distraught. No idea what they will charge me.

Rang nintendo up this morning. The man told me that they have quite a few gamepads sent in for repairs with people dropping them.

They have sent me a postal label. I just need to get a box and some bubble wrap then will send it to them.

Im still distraught. No idea what they will charge me.

Being that the console is less than a year old, it really should be covered under warranty and I would argue that with them should they try and charge you a stupid amount of money.

They need to be doing everything they can not just to gain new consumers but to keep their existing ones happy so I wouldn't be surprised if they fixed it for free, at least seeing at its the first time its broken.

i'd have thought that they would have told you the charge if they were going to charge you, otherwise they could go all doctor evil on your ass and demand a rediculous sum! surely they have stock costs you'd have needed to be told even if it was a maximum for a replacement

you could be lucky you never know