Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Outstanding. A year and a half on and it's still happening. Does it call it the Wii or the Wii U in the article?

Article constantly calls it Wii U. You can read it here

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/27/mario-kart-8-mario-kart-nintendo-wii-u-koopa-toad-4738488/

It's overwhelmingly positive, too. I like this quote because it has so much truth

The gaming world has changed around Nintendo. In the age of social media, people are increasingly business analysts first and gamers second for some reason, and Nintendo’s plight has become cyclical: people don’t buy a console because the firm’s not doing well on the balance sheet – a state of affairs that’s because people aren’t buying their machines
Edited by Serebii

To be fair, articles like that often just call PS4 "Playstation" and Xbox One "Xbox". It's a part of the brand. Yes, it's bad, but it's not exclusive to Nintendo's failure with marketing the Wii U

Playstation and Xbox are used as the brand name in the same way 'Nintendo' is. The problem lies in the fact that the term Wii in 'Wii' and 'Wii U' is associated to the console name, not just the brand.

Looking back at it, Sony have done a fantastic job to keep the 'Playstation' brand so strong over the last 20 years. They've done well to keep it from falling back on the Sony label time and time again.

Playstation and Xbox are used as the brand name in the same way 'Nintendo' is. The problem lies in the fact that the term Wii in 'Wii' and 'Wii U' is associated to the console name, not just the brand.

Looking back at it, Sony have done a fantastic job to keep the 'Playstation' brand so strong over the last 20 years. They've done well to keep it from falling back on the Sony label time and time again.

Yes, but Wii is also a brand name like Playstation and Xbox.

The gaming world has changed around Nintendo. In the age of social media, people are increasingly business analysts first and gamers second for some reason, and Nintendo’s plight has become cyclical: people don’t buy a console because the firm’s not doing well on the balance sheet – a state of affairs that’s because people aren’t buying their machines

@Serebii - That quote is king. :bowdown:

I remember when I had to explain to multiple people that "Game Boy Advance" was a different thing from "Game Boy". It's the sort of thing that just tends to happen when the first product in a brand has the same name as the brand (like the NES being called "Nintendo" almost everywhere).

For all the criticism the prefix "New" gets, if the Wii U had been called "New Wii", it would've made the point clear... up until the next Wii :heh:

I remember when I had to explain to multiple people that "Game Boy Advance" was a different thing from "Game Boy". It's the sort of thing that just tends to happen when the first product in a brand has the same name as the brand (like the NES being called "Nintendo" almost everywhere).

For all the criticism the prefix "New" gets, if the Wii U had been called "New Wii", it would've made the point clear... up until the next Wii :heh:

Then: New New Wii would fit :p

I think the warning signs were as clear as day regarding the name and Nintendo shouldn’t of ignored them.

The 3DS/DS caused all sorts of confusion and then when the Wii U was announced nobody had a clue if it was a Wii addon, a tablet or a new console.

I remember walking into a shop soon after the wii u was released and it had the gamepad hooked up to it as well as the nunchuck and wiimote and you could quite clearly see why somebody would think they were looking at a Wii.

Edited by lostmario
Automerged Doublepost

This is soooo true.

Even in my environment, people are all about sales and other bullshit that I just do not care about.

With a backlog of over 50 games with purely NINTENDO systems, I don't give a fuck about all that shit.

Sure, it's interesting to see where the company is heading, but I prefer to live in the now and play my games now and not constantly address that 'The WiiU is dead, bla bla bla'...That shit just doesn't get to me, because I have too many games to play on all my NINTENDO systems, including WiiU.

I just want to play my games!

Edited by Fused King