Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Firstly who is saying Nintendo are not needed? They are defiantly needed in the industry but in its current form? I don’t think so. The Nintendo I see under the leadership of Iwata doesn’t excite me at all.

How do Nintendo focus on gamers any more than Sony do with the Playstation brand? Is QoL Nintendo focusing on the gamer?

Not sure where you’re going with the anti-consumer practices, paywalls etc as I would say that’s a matter of opinion but I would say a console and handheld which doesn’t have standard account system like the rest of the industry and makes the consumer pay again and again for the a digital product already purchased is about as anti-consumer as you can get.

Nintendo under the leadership of someone who will change it away from their current trends and ideologies would make Nintendo not what it is today. We'd lose everything cool about them.

Also, using the QoL as evidence of Nintendo not focusing on the gamer is like using Columbia Pictures as evidence of Sony not focusing on the gamer. The QoL platform is separate to Nintendo's gaming endeavours.

Also, Nintendo are sorting that. The next consoles will run the Nintendo Network ID and will have cross-device capabilities due to having similar architecture and the same OS. The problem is that it's not retroactively enforceable.

Edited by Serebii

Nintendo under the leadership of someone who will change it away from their current trends and ideologies would make Nintendo not what it is today. We'd lose everything cool about them.

Also, using the QoL as evidence of Nintendo not focusing on the gamer is like using Columbia Pictures as evidence of Sony not focusing on the gamer. The QoL platform is separate to Nintendo's gaming endeavours.

Also, Nintendo are sorting that. The next consoles will run the Nintendo Network ID and will have cross-device capabilities due to having similar architecture and the same OS. The problem is that it's not retroactively enforceable.

You dont know what would happen to Nintendo without Iwata.

I didnt say QoL was an example of Nintendo not focusing on the gamer. I was making the point that they just like others look at different markets and you didnt answer the question on how Nintendo focus on the gamer anymore than Sony does?

Great Nintendo are sorting the account system out, I guess thats the long term thinking of Iwata. Welcome to 2006.

You seem a bit confused about the hiring policies of such big organisations. When it comes to picking a new CEO, japanese companies will tend to promote someone from within the company who shares those beliefs. It is a huge extensive project and they'll make sure whoever gets elected has the same set of beliefs and understands the companies vision.

That's how Iwata got his job; Yamamuchi (or however you spell his name lol) said that Iwata understood the beliefs and objectives of Nintendo, hence why he hand picked him :)

You seem a bit confused about the hiring policies of such big organisations. When it comes to picking a new CEO, japanese companies will tend to promote someone from within the company who shares those beliefs. It is a huge extensive project and they'll make sure whoever gets elected has the same set of beliefs and understands the companies vision.

That's how Iwata got his job; Yamamuchi (or however you spell his name lol) said that Iwata understood the beliefs and objectives of Nintendo, hence why he hand picked him :)

That's the point I've been making. It will either remain exactly the same, or the entire board will be wiped out and the company fall into chaos.

The big problem with Nintendo is that they seem to have been sat on their hands for several years! They knew they had a new console to launch - yet what were all their dev teams doing since Skyward Sword was released?

Why weren't they making strategic partnerships? Buying up studios? Since 2011 things went quiet for the Wii, that gave them so much time to build titles and momentum for the Wii U yet they sat on their hands.

Now it seems they are struggling, but they are still sat on their hands.

Nintendo needed a steady stream of first party titles, third party bought in exclusives and a series of strategic partnerships that saw third parties developing key Nintendo franchises as was seen in the GC era.

Sadly none of that came to pass and the more they struggle the further into their shell they go. They need to come out fighting - E3 will be make or break.

That's the point I've been making. It will either remain exactly the same, or the entire board will be wiped out and the company fall into chaos.

A CEO with the same beliefs will not mean things will remain the same, at all. Company strategy is dictated by the whole board; a strong CEO ensures the strategy works. We've been through this before, brah. No need to keep repeating it.

@Zechs Merquise Exactly! They let the Wii slowly die, which made people turn away from the console, nintendo, and either console gaming, or towards xbox or ps3, there was no momentum at all - like moneyball says "would you prefer to be shot in the head, or in the chest 5 times and bleed to death!" Nintendo decided to bleed to death which weakened consumer trust, publisher trust etc. And in that time were they gearing up for the mother of all console launches?! No, 18 months on and they're still struggling to release with any frequency. Truly truly bizarre!!!

If Nintendo don't have a killer e£ and rest of 2014 then I'll start to believing they really are letting the console ride this gen out, which would be just insane, and that's why I don't think it'll happen. I think after the struggle of moving to HD and bringing the 3DS back from the dead, we'll finally start to see the fruits of the work - the virtual console is beginning to get some life back into it, the indies are about to explode on the console, and hopefully after mario kart we'll see a big title every month too! That'll be enough!

Yeah Nintendo aren't cool. They're quirky and charming at best, but staring fondly at bananas does not make you cool :heh:

Good, I hate 'cool', being 35 has let me see all things 'cool'. And they always look shit in the long run:

9431_136216596714_704486714_2726793_346425_n.jpg

shellsuit.jpg

il_fullxfull.204799688.jpg

413iFXw%2BirL._SY300_.jpg

And so on!

Why do you argue to such extremes and use things like a False Dichotomy?. It does well to make you look delusional and rambling. If you wish to not come across as such, I'd personally advise avoiding arguing to extremes and false dichotomies if you would like to be taken more seriously.

Home console has never been Nintendo's main market anyway.

It was at this point I decided to disregard your whole post and argument. Wat.

Also I'm sure no one is saying Nintendo are doing terribly finincially right now - they are saying the Wii U is and that if they keep this up they are quite possibly on the path to ruin. We all know Nintendo are minted - hell the original post even mentions it. That also means we know they can afford to take a hit on the console - and no, that doesn't have to mean an extreme $150 loss on 11 million units, either. Your initial $50 of that is completely unsubstantiated anyway, and in fact most likely pure bullshit - we already knew they said they'd turn profit with a single game sale, no? They can't make $50+ on a game. $50*11mill= BAM! I've just saved Nintendo $550 million dollars. You can thank me later.

Edited by Rummy

@Zechs Merquise Exactly! They let the Wii slowly die, which made people turn away from the console, nintendo, and either console gaming, or towards xbox or ps3, there was no momentum at all - like moneyball says "would you prefer to be shot in the head, or in the chest 5 times and bleed to death!" Nintendo decided to bleed to death which weakened consumer trust, publisher trust etc. And in that time were they gearing up for the mother of all console launches?! No, 18 months on and they're still struggling to release with any frequency. Truly truly bizarre!!!

If Nintendo don't have a killer e£ and rest of 2014 then I'll start to believing they really are letting the console ride this gen out, which would be just insane, and that's why I don't think it'll happen. I think after the struggle of moving to HD and bringing the 3DS back from the dead, we'll finally start to see the fruits of the work - the virtual console is beginning to get some life back into it, the indies are about to explode on the console, and hopefully after mario kart we'll see a big title every month too! That'll be enough!

Agreed! Pulling out the Wii U will be a final stake in the coffin - I am quietly confident E3 will pick things up, Brawl will be masterful, and Kart addictive.

Even without third party support, the first party stuff we haven't seen is always a threat and a draw. (1080, Wave Race, F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, Zelda etc)

TBH a lot of the times when people are asking for... basically more of everything, Im not even sure people actually really know what they want.

Edited by King_V

Nintendo should definitely invest in smartphones, even if it's getting a 5-10 man team to make a Wario-ware (9 Volt games) and a Mario-Runner title. That in itself would make a LOT of money and it'd get young children seeing those franchises again. Truth be told, young children nowadays are not playing Mario when they grow up, which is incredibly sad.

Using Wario as a cash cow on iOS would deeply ironic. And let's be honest, do we really want him on the main consoles? :heh:

Using Wario as a cash cow on iOS would deeply ironic. And let's be honest, do we really want him on the main consoles? :heh:

YES send million coin gold mario to iOS if they want a new iteration ever 5 min! i'm still waiting for a proper follow up to Wario Land 4! even a side scrolling platformer made by Retro would be epic, with 2 player including the female pirate (not Walugi just to piss off fans)

Whats this about?

The Wii U version of 2.5D action game spin-off Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate has been delayed.

The PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions launch this week as planned, but for some reason the Wii U version has been pushed back to "later in April", publisher Warner Bros said, without explaining the decision.

Blackgate launched first last year as a Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita game, but developer Armature Studio has ported it to other platforms with enhanced high definition graphics.

Warner said you can begin downloading the game today from the PlayStation Network, the Xbox Live Games Store, Steam and the Nintendo eShop - although the latter option seems puzzling if the game doesn't launch on the Wii U until later this month.

This isn't the first time Batman games have had trouble on Wii U.

The Wii U version of Batman: Arkham Origins launched a couple of weeks after the other versions in Europe. It didn't include the game's multiplayer mode, and was discounted as a result. Oh, and key story DLC wasn't released for the Wii U version either. Why? Warner Bros. said its decision was based on "demand for DLC content on the system". It ended up refunding Season Pass Wii U customers.

Agreed! Pulling out the Wii U will be a final stake in the coffin - I am quietly confident E3 will pick things up, Brawl will be masterful, and Kart addictive.

I agree - Nintendo need to ride things out. Once you get to the point of pulling your console early you end up in the Sega cycle where you're dumping hardware and essentially pissing off the loyal people who actually stuck with you.

Nintendo need to ride this out and do the best they can to turn it around. Ditching the Wii U would be the worst thing they could do for what's left of consumer confidence!

Whats this about?

Delayed to April 17th apparently

Fans will be able to download the game beginning April 1 on the PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE® Marketplace, and Steam for $19.99. The game will be coming to Nintendo's eShop on April 17th.

Lights in your trainers however... hell yeah!! :D

This thread is now about nostalgia.

Tried to find the advert with Gareth Southgate.

- Sees BullBoys Shoes advert.

- Thinks the shoes look cool.

- Buys a pair.

- Euro96 happens.

- Gareth Southgate misses the penalty.

- Realises that Gareth Southgate does the advert for BullBoys shoes.

- Is laughed at in school.

- Never worn again.

- Didn't even get my free fucking shin pads.

- I cri, evrytiem.

They have had one year of net loss. One. They have projected their second, but there's a reason for that. They have been expanding and a good portion of that expansion, financially speaking. is happening this quarter. Up to Q3, this fiscal year has been much better than the two years prior. It isn't up to the Wii & DS massive standards, sure, but it's doing better and turnarounds don't happen in a day.

They're fine to make a loss to help them expand but...

Think about it. At the moment, the Wii U is $299.99 with like $50 loss. Now, let's say it drops to $199.99 which makes it being sold at a loss of $150. Now, let's also say that it has a 3DS level turnaround and sells a further 11 million units in 6 months. That would make it lose $1,650,000,000. Those sort of numbers are not reclaimable through third party royalties or software profits. Those numbers are why Sony lost their PS1 & PS2 profits rapidly and why Microsoft are still very in the red cumulatively with the Xbox.

They can't make a loss.

Do we definitely know it's still being sold at a $50 loss? Are any of us able to say that with absolutely certainty?

Unfortunately, people have been suggesting that. Pachter suggested they shift entirely to smartphones while building their next console. Investors, analysts and press have been pushing it too. It's ridiculous.

You need to stop bringing up these loons and trolls that you seem to seek out from the dark side of the net. If I went into a meeting at work and said "some guy on the street said this should happen, let's discuss that" I'd be sent packing!

People post shit ideas, but you seem to be the only ones posting them (via others) here.

Yes, the Wii U failed, but that doesn't mean Iwata didn't look long-term. Newsflash, sometimes products fail. That doesn't mean the CEO isn't looking at the long term at all. All it means is that things were misread.

Having to state that you're going to start using the USP of your console more purposefully, eighteen months into that console's life, doesn't exactly scream "long-term" to me.

Nor does this:

These aren't sudden new standards brought on in this generation.

3DS may be getting choked, sure, but it's still doing well. It's not selling amazing DS levels, but it's selling well and to say otherwise is wrong. So it didn't hit targets? So what. That just means the targets were too high.

Setting ridiculous targets is a problem though. Where did they pull those figures from? "So the Wii did well, rather unexpectedly, let's do things different and expect the same results!"

Also, yeah, we should get rid of Iwata and get someone like the Sony CEO who fires thousands of staff and sells buildings just to try and stay afloat for one more year. That's a great way to do business.

That's what it is at the end of the day...

Iwata is the CEO that gaming needs right now. So many companies are circling the drain; Sony, Capcom, Square. The latter two embraced mobile and it has screwed them over. Sony is collapsing even though the PS4 is selling well. Iwata cares about games, he cares about his staff and he thinks in the long-term. The only reason Nintendo are projecting a loss this fiscal year is because of expansion.

Let's be a bit less melodramatic shall we? "Circling the drain" is an over-the-top statement and blaming losses solely on them embracing mobile is ridiculous. The reason Nintendo is in a comfortable position is because of their previous successes, and that's great for them, but they shouldn't be excluded from scrutiny simply because they have a stockpile of cash while criticising companies that are less in the black but are actively trying to grow. It is a shame that some companies are suffering financial problems, but you shouldn't look down your nose at them.

Nintendo are the gaming company we need.

Nintendo is the company we need. Sorry, but that's been bugging me for a while :heh:. A company is considered a singular entity and singular pronouns should be used.

Chromecast: For everyone. Even Squirrels.

Wrong thread...?