NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

It depends how you look at it. If you're the kind of person who doesn't tire of Nintendo's games and likes new polished versions in their series then you'll like it. If you're like me and what to see more new content/IP from them then you'll be disappointed.

It's has gotten to the point where people are mostly saying "I want another Metroid" or "I want another F-Zero". I actually want them to make more new stuff than just keep delivering sequels.

It depends how you look at it. If you're the kind of person who doesn't tire of Nintendo's games and likes new polished versions in their series then you'll like it. If you're like me and what to see more new content/IP from them then you'll be disappointed.

It's has gotten to the point where people are mostly saying "I want another Metroid" or "I want another F-Zero". I actually want them to make more new stuff than just keep delivering sequels.

Fair point!

This is the big sticking point. Obviously. Both would be amazing, but given the choice, I, and I think most Nintendo fans,WOULD prefer another Metroid, Zelda, starfox, fzero, wave race etc over any new ip. We think they're the best games that have ever been produced...

Nintendo do make new franchises all the time, but not on the scale of these franchises. It would be amazing for a brand new character each generation to be created... Miamoto is working on something new, hopefully that can be it. I have a feeling they're going to be much smaller, eshop, gamepad experiments.

True, it's hard to feel intense desire about something that doesn't exist yet versus a new entry in a series you have been excited about in the past. But I'd love to see them start up some adventure type series like their existing big franchises but with a gameplay type I've never seen before.

Maybe like a new Nintendo-like character but in a world builder type game.

I agree and disagree at the same time, and I'm going to state why.

I disagree because, deep down, Nintendo fans want new franchises. But, we also know that Nintendo won't give them to us.

So, the best we can hope for (in this current situation) is...another Metroid or another F-Zero, like you say.

We know Nintendo won't give us a new science-fiction title or a horror, or a new style racer. Therefore, the most we can hope for is something that isn't one of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario Kart. Which leaves the likes of Starfox, F Zero, Metroid.

Making the most of a bad/tight situation is how I'd put it.

Wheres new info on TVii?

Wheres info on other eshops on wiiu they originally announced?

i want answers to the unanswered questions

F-Zero, Star Fox and Metroid are pretty justified though, given the fact that it's been a long while since we saw a new iteration of one of those franchises.

The fact that F-Zero GX was soooooooooooooo incredibly amazing makes it even worse.

Knowing NINTENDO, they would add new elements to the series, be it minor or bigger changes, so I wouldn't mind seeing those games balance things out now that NINTENDO has blown their Mario/Kirby/DK load.

Edit: I think that the 'new' we will see will be NINTENDO's NFC project created to appeal to the masses and hardcore alike and Miyamoto's new project, which will most likely appeal to the NINTENDO faithful and families.

The rest will be old franchises revived, cross-overs and maybe some 3rd party deals.

Edited by Fused King

Ijust look forward to a time when Nintendo does something that will be applauded rather than slagged off.

Never gunna happen.

Retro are 100 times better than Rare ever were, let's see what Nintendo's gonna use them for now that DKCTF is finally out. I really hope it's something fresh and exciting, if anyone can do it, it's Retro.

I have to completely disagree. Rare were incredibly productive, releasing probably 4 games a year in the N64-days. And on top of that, their games were top notch.

Retro have a problem, where they take on a franchise, and then do nothing but that franchise for many, many years. I didn't think of it when I was a kid, but every single game I bought and was happy with during the N64-days, were from Rare and Nintendo, the sole exception being Top Gear Rally. And I was happy with that game collection, I still revisit it to this day.

The fact that F-Zero GX was soooooooooooooo incredibly amazing makes it even worse.

I was playing GX... and just yes, this game, even on the Wii could have looked a bit better. but GC -> Wii U.... just... sooo need that game!looking at the GC mariokart levels, and imagining that much added polish on the tracks. I'd even forgive them mere online racing, without the 32 racers thing... I think it would be a nice game to follow Mario Kart 8, a different take on the racing genre.

I agree and disagree at the same time, and I'm going to state why.

I disagree because, deep down, Nintendo fans want new franchises. But, we also know that Nintendo won't give them to us.

So, the best we can hope for (in this current situation) is...another Metroid or another F-Zero, like you say.

We know Nintendo won't give us a new science-fiction title or a horror, or a new style racer. Therefore, the most we can hope for is something that isn't one of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Mario Kart. Which leaves the likes of Starfox, F Zero, Metroid.

Making the most of a bad/tight situation is how I'd put it.

Interesting. What would you prefer, a new ip racer or a new fzero/excitebike/wave race?! What would you prefer a new ip adventure game or a new Zelda? I personally would take the Nintendo ip in most cases!

Would be great for a new franchise though. I'd love retro to have been given reign to do something new. If they are a two game studio, one on something new, one on classic franchises.... Absolutely perfect.

Wheres new info on TVii?

It's quietly dead. Microsoft is having enough problems trying similar outside America and they have a brand built on entertainment (not just games) and a video arm. Nintendo doesn't have any of this.

I'd assume Nintendo want it to be European wide and that's pretty much an impossible task in this case.

Interesting. What would you prefer, a new ip racer or a new fzero/excitebike/wave race?! What would you prefer a new ip adventure game or a new Zelda? I personally would take the Nintendo ip in most cases!

Would be great for a new franchise though. I'd love retro to have been given reign to do something new. If they are a two game studio, one on something new, one on classic franchises.... Absolutely perfect.

I would kill for a new Wave Race.

Can anyone find any sources (company checks etc) that shows Nintendo's 5 Billion yen finances?... If this is accurate its a bit shocking our fan-wank Nintendo dreams aren't coming true.

I was meant to reply to this ages ago on my not-so-regular computer; booted yesterday and found a tab still to hand that I'd come across via DYKG. It's from almost 2 years ago but if we roughly know what losses have been made since(which is interesting in itself) then you can possibly have a vague guess at what they might still be sitting on now.

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/ - reported £6.7billion summer 2012.

I was meant to reply to this ages ago on my not-so-regular computer; booted yesterday and found a tab still to hand that I'd come across via DYKG. It's from almost 2 years ago but if we roughly know what losses have been made since(which is interesting in itself) then you can possibly have a vague guess at what they might still be sitting on now.

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/ - reported £6.7billion summer 2012.

We've only had financial details from one fiscal year so far since then, FY3/2013. In that fiscal year, despite an operating loss, Nintendo hit a net profit and added to their warchest.

They would have had net profit again this FY just passed but several one-time expenditures have caused a projected loss. Their Q1 through Q3 figures were much better this FY just passed than the two prior and were set at a Net Profit and very small operating loss.

These expenditures come in the following

$1bn on buyback of Yamauchi family shares. Family had to sell due to tax laws and Nintendo didn't want there to be a position where someone could buy them and gain control

15bn¥ one-time injection into R&D

8bn¥ one-time injection into marketing

As such, they projected a 25bn¥ financial loss for the FY. Essentially covered by these.

graph06.gifgraph07.gif

Edited by Serebii

I have to completely disagree. Rare were incredibly productive, releasing probably 4 games a year in the N64-days. And on top of that, their games were top notch.

Retro have a problem, where they take on a franchise, and then do nothing but that franchise for many, many years. I didn't think of it when I was a kid, but every single game I bought and was happy with during the N64-days, were from Rare and Nintendo, the sole exception being Top Gear Rally. And I was happy with that game collection, I still revisit it to this day.

It was a lot easier to release 4 games a year when you were just making N64 and GBC games though...

How many games do the Rare of today produce per year, despite being larger now? (yeah, exactly...)

You shouldn't be judging based on quantity, because the production requirements of today are so much greater now. Rather, you should be looking at quality and Retro are easily a match for the Rareware of old in that regard (even if their style of games is very different - and no, they are no replacement for them in that respect... Nobody is... :cry:)

Oh and I wouldn't really say that they do nothing but the one franchise at a time. Don't forget that they also co-developed Mario Kart 7 while making DKCTF... (and they've only made two of those games anyway).

Edited by Dcubed

Exactly. I would. Blue storm is still incredible. That's why I don't fully understand this call for new ip and slagging off releasing their franchises. For me. That's exactly why I love Nintendo, their franchises - like I said above, I'd prefer new versions of all the above than any new IP.

But I do want new ip too :) But I'm not as fussed as most and I could take one big new game - though I do think it's funny bat this new ip, yesterday Nintendo released 3 vids, ALL BRAND NEW IP - pocket football, tomodotchi and NES remix 2... In a single day! And obviously last gen xenoblade, last story, pandoras tower... Yet people still slag them for it....

Either way, giving retro to do whatever they want would be great by me, but if you can work on these franchises, surely you're going to take it!

THIS. Wave Race 64 was so good because of the water physics, well and that it looked incredible. Imagine what they could do now plus online races. @lostmario wave race u league?

Which reminds me, what is happening with 90's arcade racer?

Thing is, with games like WaveRace, I can't see it getting a fullretail title anymore.

Thankfully, the eShop provides an alternative, but that may mean a reduction in quality due to the perceived value in download games.

It's a shame as it'd look absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by Serebii

Thing is, with games like WaveRace, I can't see it getting a fullretail title anymore.

Thankfully, the eShop provides an alternative, but that may mean a reduction in quality due to the perceived value in download games.

It's a shame as it'd look absolutely gorgeous.

I adore wave race, I'd take a hd eshop GameCube remake with online. Same with fzero. Not bothered about new ones as such (though that would be great)

Nintendo can practically shape up their online service in one swoop!

1080 Snowboarding

Wave Race

Excitebikes/Trucks

Mario Tennis/Soccer

FZero

And yes, when it comes to 'new IPs' - Nintendo iterations have usually been superior, hence the want of the Nintendo variant. Really hated SSX with those unrealistic mechanics, but 1080 was just a beautifully technical game - that has crazy potential on Wii U... Gamepad board design mode? Needatshit.

Also I feel those Wave race/1080 characters like Mr Winterborn and Deon Blaster (I think thats right) deserve more representation and work well in HD.

Edited by King_V

Me too, it's actually my favourite racing game!

F-Zero GX HD. I'd day one that. Hell, they don't even need to improve textures, just have it render in HD and it'd still be godly and look better than 90% of games out there. Throw online on and godly.

F-Zero GX was so ahead of its time.

F-Zero GX HD. I'd day one that. Hell, they don't even need to improve textures, just have it render in HD and it'd still be godly and look better than 90% of games out there. Throw online on and godly.

F-Zero GX was so ahead of its time.

That's because it's a futuristic racer. :grin:

I haven't grown attached to a new Nintendo IP since Pikmin. They seem to be focusing their new IPs on smaller, downloadable games. When I think of what I want from Nintendo, it's mainly a new version of something they've already done - obviously with Nintendo adding new ideas and mechanics into the mix. I want games based on the best mechanics of:

- Super Mario 64. We haven't had a great platformer with lots of open-world levels since the N64 days. Imagine the look of Mario Kart 8, and the scope and interactivity of levels that Nintendo could provide on the Wii U.

- Lylat Wars. Adventures was great, but not really Star Fox. A new proper Star Fox focusing on space combat would be great. I think the series could even work well as a mainly "all range mode" game, and fill in our Rogue Squadron thirst, as that won't be happening again.

- Metroid Prime. Obviously starting a new story, but a 1st person Metroid game. The GamePad is perfect for this, too. I want to be able to scan and have to quickly read the boss' weak point on the GamePad while dodging attacks. The GamePad would also allow for more weapon combinations (turn each beam type on/off for different effects) and visors, while the scan visor would appear on the GamePad when you point towards the screen.

- Metroid Fusion. The 3DS needs a 2D Metroid. They can do "2.5D" as they call it if they want, but we want proper 2D Metroid gameplay.

- F-Zero GX. Like Serebii said, it has been so long that I would even accept F-Zero GX HD with online. But if Nintendo worked with Sega to make a new one, that would be even better.

- Excite Truck. The first was just pure fun, and we never got the second over here. I think the stunt racing concept of the game has the potential to make a great multiplayer mode (the one in Excite Truck was poor).