NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Though it might be obvious that NINTENDO has run out of Mario and co. games I still have fear for more milkage:

Paper Mario WiiU

Mario Strikers WiiU by NextLevelGames

Kirby WiiU

New Super Mii Bros. WiiU

Mario Party WiiU ?

WarioWare 3DS

Mario Sports Game/Compilation WiiU

There's still plenty of possibilities here. Possibilities I hope won't come to fruition.

I mean, a new Paper Mario OVER Advance Wars would be criminal!

Though it might be obvious that NINTENDO has run out of Mario and co. games I still have fear for more milkage:

Paper Mario WiiU

Mario Strikers WiiU by NextLevelGames

Kirby WiiU

New Super Mii Bros. WiiU

Mario Party WiiU ?

WarioWare 3DS

Mario Sports Game/Compilation WiiU

There's still plenty of possibilities here. Possibilities I hope won't come to fruition.

I mean, a new Paper Mario OVER Advance Wars would be criminal!

How is a Kirby game Mario milking?

Also, I'd love a 3DS Wario Ware. It's long overdue :p

I'd love to see Nintendo try and make a game driven by narrative. A game in collaboration with Studio Ghibli, like Ni No Kuni but crossed with something like Mario 64 and/or Animal Crossing.

Actually having written that, that would be great but what I really want is for Nintendo to surprise me and do something outside their comfort zone.

How is a Kirby game Mario milking?

Also, I'd love a 3DS Wario Ware. It's long overdue :p

Yeah, I know I'm stretching it.

But when we look at the general trend of NINTENDO games as of late it's Kirby/Mario and Co./Donkey Kong/Mii stuff.

That was what I was getting at.

I'd love to see Nintendo try and make a game driven by narrative. A game in collaboration with Studio Ghibli, like Ni No Kuni but crossed with something like Mario 64 and/or Animal Crossing.

Actually having written that, that would be great but what I really want is for Nintendo to surprise me and do something outside their comfort zone.

I hear you brudda.

I hope Miyamoto's new project will be something interesting, but I doubt it will be out of his comfort zone though.

I hear you brudda.

I hope Miyamoto's new project will be something interesting, but I doubt it will be out of his comfort zone though.

Wait, isn't @Daft a woman? :(

Will never happen, but my E3 dream conference would be:

Hi fans, we're Nintendo and every year you expect us to make Mario, Zelda, DK and Kirby games. But this year we decided to dedicate to our lesser known franchises:

F-Zero

Waverace

Pilotwings

Game & Watch

Golden Sun

Starfox

Mother

Devil World

Ice Climber

Doshin the Giant

Geist

Advance Wars

Kid Icarus

Wrecking Crew

Wild Gunman/Bayou Billy/Gumshoe/Hogan's Alley/Duckhunt (supporting Gamepad gyroscope)

Excite (whatever)

and 5 totally new franchises that will blow your brains out!!!

And we want to tell you that Zelda will be out by Christmas.

Next years E3 we will show you our progress on Metroid!

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

sn%C3%B6-sport-snowboard-2-1080x1920.jpg

Rock_andRoll_Climber_wii_balance_.jpg

Snow in HD!! Cool board designs, board design mode, track design mode, good rock/chill-out soundtrack, 10 player online, online leaderboards for half-pipe, tricks etc....:(

We need to see some realistic looking Nintendo games.

Edited by King_V

I do think there's such a lack of variety now, but I'm guessing it's because they can no longer take such big risks, with longer development times and what feels like (I have no idea, honestly) less development teams? (though I know about Rare obviously, such a big loss in my eyes)

In the GameCube era I was constantly surprised, F-Zero with its amazing speed, Starfox Adventures giving a whole new take on the franchise, Metroid Prime, a classic game re-imagined, Wind Waker - Zelda like we'd never seen it and then there were the awesome, crazy surprises:

DONKEY KONGA, an AMAZING new franchise called Animal Crossing, bizarre out of the blue releases like Doshin the Giant, Pikmin and Chibi Robo. LUIGI'S MANSION for gods sake!

It always felt so exciting, like Nintendo were just bursting with new ideas, new characters and covering so many genres and making new installments in series you knew yet would have never thought of - Jungle Beat was a 2D platformer but you couldn't get much more off the wall than that with its level design and controls. Now they feel very stuck to the same old patterns. If one thing goes well now, they just milk it to death.

How many 2D platformers did we have before New Super Mario Bros on DS? Not many. How many now? 2D platformers are as over-saturated on their consoles as FPS games are on 360.

We all keep asking for a new Metroid, new Starfox, new F-Zero but honestly... I really can't see it happening now. Nintendo seem to be stuck on Mario/Kirby/Zelda - especially Zelda, it's gone from a main instalment every 4 years or so to pretty much one main game per year across Nintendo platforms.

And I know, for some reason 'it wouldn't work', but a home console Pokémon is such a HUGE missed opportunity it's unreal.

I do think there's such a lack of variety now, but I'm guessing it's because they can no longer take such big risks, with longer development times and what feels like (I have no idea, honestly) less development teams? (though I know about Rare obviously, such a big loss in my eyes)

In the GameCube era I was constantly surprised, F-Zero with its amazing speed, Starfox Adventures giving a whole new take on the franchise, Metroid Prime, a classic game re-imagined, Wind Waker - Zelda like we'd never seen it and then there were the awesome, crazy surprises:

DONKEY KONGA, an AMAZING new franchise called Animal Crossing, bizarre out of the blue releases like Doshin the Giant, Pikmin and Chibi Robo. LUIGI'S MANSION for gods sake!

It always felt so exciting, like Nintendo were just bursting with new ideas, new characters and covering so many genres and making new installments in series you knew yet would have never thought of - Jungle Beat was a 2D platformer but you couldn't get much more off the wall than that with its level design and controls. Now they feel very stuck to the same old patterns. If one thing goes well now, they just milk it to death.

How many 2D platformers did we have before New Super Mario Bros on DS? Not many. How many now? 2D platformers are as over-saturated on their consoles as FPS games are on 360.

We all keep asking for a new Metroid, new Starfox, new F-Zero but honestly... I really can't see it happening now. Nintendo seem to be stuck on Mario/Kirby/Zelda - especially Zelda, it's gone from a main instalment every 4 years or so to pretty much one main game per year across Nintendo platforms.

And I know, for some reason 'it wouldn't work', but a home console Pokémon is such a HUGE missed opportunity it's unreal.

Nintendo doesn't have less development teams, if anything they have more, and all EAD & SPD teams are capable of doing multiple projects at ones. Retro & Next Level Games, among others, less so, but Nintendo can do these things.

Nintendo EAD Kyoto 3, for example, did The Wind Waker HD, A Link Between Worlds and Zelda Wii U at the same time...now they're just on Wii U

I think nostalgia does have a part to play, the stuff we played as kids and what introduced us to gaming or whatever are always going to seem incredibly exciting, in the same way some people will think of rhythm heaven, Wii sports, xenoblade etc. like I said earlier, only yesterday they released 3 new videos of new ip - NES remix 2, tomodotchi, pocket football. All very original, crazy games.

Let's see what e3 brings, but with many many developers silent, promises of miamoto a NFC and gamepad experiments, I'm confident we're going to get the good stuff!

Are those games even very original? NES Remix 2 is a sequel to remixed games...retro games and Pocket Football looks like a ripoff of Pocket League Story.

And I kind of wonder what there is to differentiate Tomodachi Life from Animal Crossing.

Nintendo doesn't have less development teams, if anything they have more, and all EAD & SPD teams are capable of doing multiple projects at ones. Retro & Next Level Games, among others, less so, but Nintendo can do these things.

Nintendo EAD Kyoto 3, for example, did The Wind Waker HD, A Link Between Worlds and Zelda Wii U at the same time...now they're just on Wii U

So they have the ability just not the desire?

So they have the ability just not the desire?

Explain. I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

And I kind of wonder what there is to differentiate Tomodachi Life from Animal Crossing.
iQPIwut25dSgP.gif

8dddde3751a2e57ed1ff1lys39.jpg

72PRcKO.gif

tmd2e0ug4.gif

iMes5kkNnjZ13.gif

ef0LSd4.gif

L78W3yc.gif

...on crack. :heh:

Are those games even very original? NES Remix 2 is a sequel to remixed games...retro games and Pocket Football looks like a ripoff of Pocket League Story.

So we must discount all sequels? Ok.

Also, Nintendo Pocket Football Club technically predates the game you reference.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club, known as Calciobit in Japan, is a sequel to a game of the same name released on the GameBoy Advance in 2006. This sequel then was announced in 2011 fully and released in the middle of 2012 in Japan. The game you referred to appeared around the same time as this version was announced. This is the first time that this series has hit the west, however.

Edited by Serebii

So we must discount all sequels? Ok.

Also, Nintendo Pocket Football Club technically predates the game you reference.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club, known as Calciobit in Japan, is a sequel to a game of the same name released on the GameBoy Advance in 2006. This sequel then was announced in 2011 fully and released in the middle of 2012 in Japan. The game you referred to appeared around the same time as this version was announced. This is the first time that this series has hit the west, however.

This is like talking to a 3-year-old. I was questioning the 'very original' since the general theme of the discussion was about original games. And you kind of proved my point that Pocket Football isn't even close to original. :indeed:

iQPIwut25dSgP.gif

8dddde3751a2e57ed1ff1lys39.jpg

72PRcKO.gif

tmd2e0ug4.gif

iMes5kkNnjZ13.gif

ef0LSd4.gif

L78W3yc.gif

...on crack. :heh:

Honestly, it looks pretty great and at this point we probably just don't know enough about it but it looks like there are systems in this game that should have been implemented into Animal Crossing because that game has barely changed since its inception.

I meant NES remix itself is a new franchise. And yeah it's original, have you played it? Uses old games, but the game is very original. Pocket football may be like a bother game, but it's still a new ip (for the west), how many caveats do people want to throw at this? I guess until they feel they're right I guess... Same with tomodotchi life, yeah it has some slightly similar elements to animal crossing, but jot really, it's completely different ...

I'd be a very happy man if we got a sizzle reel for what's coming to Wii U in 2015 featuring glimpses of Wave Race U, 1080 U, F-Zero UX, Starfox U, Metroid 'Dread' and Excitebike U, a proper sequel to Excitebike 64 :yay:

I probably wouldn't need them to release anything else ever, especially if they threw us Mario Strikers U before the end of 2014 to help plug the massive football game hole :heh:

This is like talking to a 3-year-old. I was questioning the 'very original' since the general theme of the discussion was about original games. And you kind of proved my point that Pocket Football isn't even close to original. :indeed:

You didn't specifically say that Pocket Football wasn't original. You said it looked like a rip-off of another game, which I countered with facts. Don't try to change your argument in an attempt to disparage me.

Edited by Serebii

- Super Mario 64. We haven't had a great platformer with lots of open-world levels since the N64 days. Imagine the look of Mario Kart 8, and the scope and interactivity of levels that Nintendo could provide on the Wii U.

- Lylat Wars. Adventures was great, but not really Star Fox. A new proper Star Fox focusing on space combat would be great. I think the series could even work well as a mainly "all range mode" game, and fill in our Rogue Squadron thirst, as that won't be happening again.

- Metroid Prime. Obviously starting a new story, but a 1st person Metroid game. The GamePad is perfect for this, too. I want to be able to scan and have to quickly read the boss' weak point on the GamePad while dodging attacks. The GamePad would also allow for more weapon combinations (turn each beam type on/off for different effects) and visors, while the scan visor would appear on the GamePad when you point towards the screen.

- Metroid Fusion. The 3DS needs a 2D Metroid. They can do "2.5D" as they call it if they want, but we want proper 2D Metroid gameplay.

- F-Zero GX. Like Serebii said, it has been so long that I would even accept F-Zero GX HD with online. But if Nintendo worked with Sega to make a new one, that would be even better.

- Excite Truck. The first was just pure fun, and we never got the second over here. I think the stunt racing concept of the game has the potential to make a great multiplayer mode (the one in Excite Truck was poor).

Whenever I read something like this...

minion.gif

And then I come to the realisation that we won't see any of this :(

Is it so difficult to develop those kind of games?

Happy Birthday, by the way. :p

You didn't specifically say that Pocket Football wasn't original.

He did, though.

Are those games even very original?

Pretty sure this was a direct response do dazzy's listing of games ("NES remix 2, tomodotchi, pocket football. All very original, crazy games")

Anyway, I have to agree with @Daft, I also don't think that those games are very original but a lot of games these days aren't (some indies being the exception).

The main problem I currently have with Nintendo isn't that they are unoriginal, but the way they are unoriginal. I mean...NES remixes? And a sequel?

I quoted Cube in my post and I think all of his ideas aren't really anything original but they are much more interesting than most of what Nintendo does these days.

Edited by drahkon

Explain. I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

It's pretty clear no?

Josh asked if the reason we keep getting sequels and only on a select limited number of franchises is due to smaller resources compared to their more experimental days. You claim that they are growing, and have previously discussed their stockpile of cash that can let them see out this shitstorm, so why are they relying on a few select franchises? Is it simply a lack of desire (to pick up old franchises, rest current ones or take a risk)?

Interesting. What would you prefer, a new ip racer or a new fzero/excitebike/wave race?! What would you prefer a new ip adventure game or a new Zelda? I personally would take the Nintendo ip in most cases!

Would be great for a new franchise though. I'd love retro to have been given reign to do something new. If they are a two game studio, one on something new, one on classic franchises.... Absolutely perfect.

Easy. A new IP, hands down. I love F Zero, but have already experienced it on the SNES, N64 and GameCube. I want to experience something new and exciting that gives me the same feeling as I got the first time I played F Zero X.

A new adventure game or a new Zelda? Right now, new adventure game. Xenoblade was new to me, enjoyed it a billion times more than Skyward Sword.

Why do we need to see certain games on every system? Why does there HAVE to be a Mario Kart on every system? Why can't we have Mario do an RPG for example or a full-fledged adventure game rather than a platformer? There's more to life than just making money. Games are meant to be an art form, a form of entertainment. There's nothing entertaining about playing the same few series of games over and over again. Nintendo, for me right now, are dull.

As for the original point: We haven't even got F Zero, Wave Race or ExciteBike at the moment anyway, nevermind new games.

A new adventure game or a new Zelda? Right now, new adventure game. Xenoblade was new to me, enjoyed it a billion times more than Skyward Sword.

Exactly...you've got to risk it for a biscuit. Sequels are all well and good but the real killers are usually risky new IP that people haven't seen before.