NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

It's happening way too expensive if it's true.

That's current Wii U RRP.

Need I go over the financial hole it'll put Nintendo in to take a price cut again? It'd gut the company. High sales at significant loss are worse than low sales at the current situation.

@Serebii I'd prefer you didn't go over it, but for a bundle to attract new customers that price is too high, and I speak as one such potential customer.

But it has 7 days free Wii U Karaoke!
Oh well why didn't you say!! this changes everything. Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

Jesus, is that really how expensive the Wii U still is?! I still don't understand why they went the 'high price/still make a loss' strategy with Wii U and 3DS this generation..so different to what made the DS and Wii so successful. Expensive consoles only work if the hardware is appealing.

It's happening way too expensive if it's true.

Agreed.

Many said that this would be a title that could attract the expanded audience but it's not happening at that price.

2 years down the line, are they still actually really making a loss on the machine? Given the components aren't all top of the range then surely they're cheaper to produce now?!

I call bullshit on this, I just don't believe they'd be selling at a loss anymore. I may be wrong but it's what I'm thinking.

Agreed.

Many said that this would be a title that could attract the expanded audience but it's not happening at that price.

And at £100 lower, if it took off, it'd bankrupt Nintendo easily.

2 years down the line, are they still actually really making a loss on the machine? Given the components aren't all top of the range then surely they're cheaper to produce now?!

I call bullshit on this, I just don't believe they'd be selling at a loss anymore. I may be wrong but it's what I'm thinking.

They would likely have been at a profit if not for the price cut in October last year.

Now, it's likely to be nearing, but it's still a way off.

lol. They wouldn't sell anywhere near enough to bankrupt Nintendo :p You and your crazy talk.

When did I say £100 would be the way to go? Some form of middle ground has to be met here in order to expand the user base.

Jesus, is that really how expensive the Wii U still is?! I still don't understand why they went the 'high price/still make a loss' strategy with Wii U and 3DS this generation..so different to what made the DS and Wii so successful. Expensive consoles only work if the hardware is appealing.

Yeah it's about 100 quid less expensive than an Xbox One with Titanfall. Really not a good sell.

Regardless of how much Nintendo can afford to cut the price a lot, in some ways they can't afford to not cut it either, if it results in it not selling much.

lol. They wouldn't sell anywhere near enough to bankrupt Nintendo :p You and your crazy talk.

Exactly! They could sell at a £200 loss and it wouldn't bankrupt them!

If they reduced the selling price to £229.99 with Nintendoland or something like that then they'd be looking at shifting more units... with more units shifted they'd then be raking in the money from game sales!

Yeah it's about 100 quid less expensive than an Xbox One with Titanfall. Really not a good sell.

Regardless of how much Nintendo can afford to cut the price a lot, in some ways they can't afford to not cut it either, if it results in it not selling much.

No. If they were to take a massive chunk off so everyone would be happy, then it selling would do far more damage than it not selling, especially as there are no third party royalties coming in.

Well the Wii U was estimated at costing $228 last year. That must have dropped by now.

If they reduced the selling price to £229.99 with Nintendoland or something like that then they'd be looking at shifting more units... with more units shifted they'd then be raking in the money from game sales!

Isn't the current recommended price £249.99?

Unless the people who wouldn't have bought a Wii U otherwise then buy the Wii U, and continue to buy software. Kind of the whole point of making a console.

Microsoft are doing it - from £430 with no game to £350 with a £50 game. It's all about taking a hit to get the customers to go forward with.

What? No. The M&L ones look great in person.

Pack-WiiU-MK8-Gameblog-670.jpg

It's happening?

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/42526-un-pack-wii-u-avec-mario-kart-8-est-prevu

Out 30th May for 299EUR if it's true.

That pack looks great. It would probably shift a few units...until you get to that price. Complete bollocks.

Not sure how it would convert into pounds, but the sticking point for a Wii U right now should be at £170 (WITH Mario Kart), in my opinion. Some of the prices on Amazon are just fucking insane.

Amazon Link

£269 for Premium Wii U Zelda Pack

£239 for Premium Lego City and Rayman Pack

£288 (!!!) for Premium New Super Mario Bros Wii U + New Super Luigi Pack

£249 for the 8GB basic pack...

For a hundred quid more, you're talking PS4/One territory. A hundred quid will get you a decent Bluray player, so a Wii U + Bluray player can potentially be the cost of a PS4...the value for money just isn't good enough for a Wii U.

There's no way Nintendo or anyone should be charging anywhere near these prices. Amazon was the first link I went to, but you're not going to find a great deal better than this. I bit in the end and purchased a Wii U for £199 or something with Nintendoland. Still too expensive, in my opinion.

Isn't the current recommended price £249.99?

I don't know, I just think at £229.99 with a game then for me that's worth it. If it's ready at £249.99 with a game then I say knock it down to £200.

If Sony can make a (albeit small) profit on each PS4 being sold (and as far as I'm aware, this is the case although I could be wrong but it is mainly off the shelf components) then it really is ridiculous that Nintendo are making such a loss with the Wii U. They've really done poorly in sourcing their components because there is no way that at 299.99EUR, with a copy of Mario Kart 8 thrown in, that they should be making a loss. There's nothing there that should have cost so much to put together (even the Gamepad shouldn't cost as much as it does) because despite some proprietary tech for the Gamepad streaming, everything is more or less several years old tech wise. ::shrug:

But yeah, at 299.99EUR, that's still too far a push for someone like me to pick up the console. For a little more, I could get myself a PS4 and be relatively future-proof gaming and media wise for the next 5-8 years.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another price cut coming at the end of the summer/start of autumn (depending on their fall lineup of games) because they'll need it to stand any chance of bringing in decent sales numbers against the other 2 consoles during the holidays.

Unless the people who wouldn't have bought a Wii U otherwise then buy the Wii U, and continue to buy software. Kind of the whole point of making a console.

Microsoft are doing it - from £430 with no game to £350 with a £50 game. It's all about taking a hit to get the customers to go forward with.

The difference is that Microsoft have third party royalties and their subscription service to help absorb the hit, not to mention the behemoth of Microsoft behind them.

If Sony can make a (albeit small) profit on each PS4 being sold (and as far as I'm aware, this is the case although I could be wrong but it is mainly off the shelf components) then it really is ridiculous that Nintendo are making such a loss with the Wii U. They've really done poorly in sourcing their components because there is no way that at £299.99, with a copy of Mario Kart 8 thrown in, that they should be making a loss. There's nothing there that should have cost so much to put together (even the Gamepad shouldn't cost as much as it does) because despite some proprietary tech for the Gamepad streaming, everything is more or less several years old tech wise. ::shrug:

But yeah, at £299.99, that's still too far a push for someone like me to pick up the console. For £50 more, I could get myself a PS4 and be relatively future-proof gaming and media wise for the next 5-8 years.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another price cut coming at the end of the summer/start of autumn (depending on their fall lineup of games) because they'll need it to stand any chance of bringing in decent sales numbers against the other 2 consoles during the holidays.

It's not set for £299.99. It's set for €299.99. This means its price will also match UK RRP which is £249.99

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

I don't know, I just think at £229.99 with a game then for me that's worth it. If it's ready at £249.99 with a game then I say knock it down to £200.

You're on the right track, but I still think that's far too high. Think of what you're paying for. You're paying for a machine that is on par with the last generation of consoles (PS3/360) with a controller that isn't getting used by anyone...not even Nintendo. Why should we be paying ANYTHING close to the prices for this generation's system?

A PS3 with 500GB (500fuckinggigabytes...That's more than 10 times the hard drive size of the Wii U Premium) will cost you around £180-190 on Amazon. Plus, that's your blu-ray player, too. It doesn't make sense for the Wii U to be around 50 quid more expensive, no sense at all.

It should be noted that most of those prices aren't Amazon, they're marketplace sellers. Amazon barely stock the Wii U.

You're on the right track, but I still think that's far too high. Think of what you're paying for. You're paying for a machine that is on par with the last generation of consoles (PS3/360) with a controller that isn't getting used by anyone...not even Nintendo. Why should we be paying ANYTHING close to the prices for this generation's system?

A PS3 with 500GB (500fuckinggigabytes...That's more than 10 times the hard drive size of the Wii U Premium) will cost you around £180-190 on Amazon. Plus, that's your blu-ray player, too. It doesn't make sense for the Wii U to be around 50 quid more expensive, no sense at all.

RRP is £249.99. Which is not too much

Zelda bundle RRP is £249.99

New Super Mario Bros/New Super Luigi U bundle RRP is £249.99

Wii Party U bundle is £249.99

Just Dance 2014 bundle is £249.99

Lego City Undercover bundle is £249.99

Other places have inflated prices due to demand in the marketplaces.

Also, the Wii U is not "on par" with the PS3/360. It's more powerful, the developers just have to tap it. Look at Mario Kart 8. Running that, with the effects, lighting etc. at a locked 60fps is not possible on those consoles. Yes, it's closer to the PS3/360 than the PS4/Xbox One, but it's disingenuous to say it's on par.

We're paying this price because the device is physically worth the price. Nintendo isn't a charity.

The official Nintendo Store has the majority of bundles at £249.99

You might be able to get the MK8 bundle cheaper at other retailers though.