NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

But aren't they doing both? Aren't Nintendoland, w101, NES remix, Lego city all new? Isn't x2 new? Pikmin hasn't had a new one in now long? That, alongside mario 3d world (which I don't care it's another mario, it's still the best game of the past few years for me), Zelda etc. isn't that the balance people want? Even Hyrule warriors and bayonetta 2 could be classed as new.

Maybe the balance isn't far enough to the "new" for some people, but that's just how it is. What are the biggest, most exciting games on the ps4? Infamous, metal gear solid, uncharted 4... Yeah it'll have new games too, but the image of all 3 companies is so distorted, so.... Wrong! It's weird how "perception" controls our opinions.

The only two "new"ones from Nintendo are essentially minigame compilations based on their other franchises. W101 and LEGO City are as Nintendo as the first Mass Effect was Microsoft (not at all).

The only two "new"ones from Nintendo are essentially minigame compilations based on their other franchises. W101 and LEGO City are as Nintendo as the first Mass Effect was Microsoft (not at all).

Actually, The Wonderful 101 is Nintendo. It's Nintendo owned. It's a Nintendo IP. It was developed by Platinum, sure, but it's Nintendo.

As much as inFamous was Sony's before Sony bought Sucker Punch in 2011, maybe even moreso.

Edited by Serebii

W101 is an example of Nintendo doing something 100%. They just only seem to have done it once though when that really needs to be the norm.

A remix by very definition isn't new. It's a fresh take perhaps, but it isn't new.

But aren't they doing both? Aren't Nintendoland, w101, NES remix, Lego city all new? Isn't x2 new? Pikmin hasn't had a new one in now long? That, alongside mario 3d world (which I don't care it's another mario, it's still the best game of the past few years for me), Zelda etc. isn't that the balance people want? Even Hyrule warriors and bayonetta 2 could be classed as new.

Nintendoland has its own separate problems. I have played it a few times and didn't bother since I don't have that many people around for local multiplayer anymore. It's about five years too late for me. (no online killed the game for me) Lego City and Wonderful 101 are good steps in the right direction, for sure. But, these types of games always feel like an accessory, a back-seat to the likes of Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart. There's still too much Mario for me, considering we've already had NSMBU, 3D World, New Super Luigi, Mario and Sonic, and we'll be getting more Mario with Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Part of the reason I'm a bit apathetic is that at the start of the Wii U's life we were promised more third party games. As bad as Aliens: Colonial Marines turned out, I was excited that it was coming. However, that whole process of it being put on the backburner and then dropped has made me worried for the Wii U's future with games like Watch Dogs. We're not getting Arkham Knight, we didn't get Tomb Raider, Battlefield, GTA and we won't be getting Alien Isolation...which is probably the final nail in the coffin for me. I'm fine with having these Mario games if there is enough of the other stuff for variety. No Alien Isolation is a major blow to me, these are the sorts of games we were promised would be coming.

[MENTION][/MENTION]

A remix by very definition isn't new. It's a fresh take perhaps, but it isn't new.

Yeah, if it just one game remixed then it isn't, but the fact there are 16 games and all chopped and joined up slapped together in an almost wario ware way, that creates something new.

Nintendoland has its own separate problems. I have played it a few times and didn't bother since I don't have that many people around for local multiplayer anymore. It's about five years too late for me. (no online killed the game for me) Lego City and Wonderful 101 are good steps in the right direction, for sure. But, these types of games always feel like an accessory, a back-seat to the likes of Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart. There's still too much Mario for me, considering we've already had NSMBU, 3D World, New Super Luigi, Mario and Sonic, and we'll be getting more Mario with Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

Okay, so the goalposts are moving again to being something very a specific for you, which is fine, it's about what we all want, but I don't understand this slagging off of Nintendo for not doing new stuff, then when the new stuff is pointed out, people then say "but I don't like that" or "I didn't mind that"... For some people wonderful 101 is better than anything else.

And why do those games feel like a back burner to you, again, it's all about perception, all these games exist, obviously the big ones are more important to Nintendo, but why to you? Because the spiderman 2 is more important to Sony than the Sony classics range, does that mean as a fan it makes the classics range less appealing to you?

Yeah, if it just one game remixed then it isn't, but the fact there are 16 games and all chopped and joined up slapped together in an almost wario ware way, that creates something new.

Making a Wario Ware-esque game isn't creating something new, though, is it? :p That is even worse...using old games with an engine similar to a not-so-old game...

I haven't played the game, but from what you describe it seems like a perfect example of Nintendo's lack of originality.

Making a Wario Ware-esque game isn't creating something new, though, is it? :p That is even worse...using old games with an engine similar to a not-so-old game...

I haven't played the game, but from what you describe it seems like a perfect example of Nintendo's lack of originality.

Na, NES Remix is different to WarioWare. Much different.

Na, NES Remix is different to WarioWare. Much different.

Yeah, just watched a couple of videos. It's even more unoriginal than I thought.

Hell, if it was more like WarioWare it would've been much more appealing.

Have we moved onto slagging off the games now on Wii U?

Why do you lot own one? Sell it and put the money towards a console with games that you are excited about rather than just continuously slagging off the console all the time.

So boring to read. Every thread becomes off topic and moves to how shit Nintendo is. Yeah some decisions they have made do stink but I joined the forum (originally for the MK League) to have positive discussion about Nintendo. Anyone would think that this is not a nintendo forum at all. Maybe it should just become a general gaming forum or something.

EDIT: I'm not saying don't post anything about Nintendo as it is good to read a balance of opinions but it just comes across that on this forum there are some members that actually intend to troll every thread created on this board about how shit Nintendo is.

Edited by Blade

Yeah, just watched a couple of videos. It's even more unoriginal than I thought.

Hell, if it was more like WarioWare it would've been much more appealing.

I like playing Donkey Kong as Link, the idea of beating Bowser as Peach, going through a Mario level as Kirby etc.

I like playing Donkey Kong as Link, the idea of beating Bowser as Peach, going through a Mario level as Kirby etc.

Of course, it may be fun to some gamers, but it is unoriginal as hell. And that's currently the topic of the discussion

[MENTION][/MENTION]

Okay, so the goalposts are moving again to being something very a specific for you, which is fine, it's about what we all want, but I don't understand this slagging off of Nintendo for not doing new stuff, then when the new stuff is pointed out, people then say "but I don't like that" or "I didn't mind that"... For some people wonderful 101 is better than anything else.

And why do those games feel like a back burner to you, again, it's all about perception, all these games exist, obviously the big ones are more important to Nintendo, but why to you? Because the spiderman 2 is more important to Sony than the Sony classics range, does that mean as a fan it makes the classics range less appealing to you?

For what it's worth, I love The Wonderful 101 and it's an occasion where Nintendo get it right. My problem, on the whole, is that those moments are too few and far between.

Nintendoland had promise but for a multiplayer orientated game to feature what is now a standard multiplayer feature (online multiplayer) is scandalous, imo. Take out the online multiplayer in the next Call of Duty game and see how the fans react to that. It would have made the game more playable for me.

Why do you lot own one? Sell it and put the money towards a console with games that you are excited about rather than just continuously slagging off the console all the time.

So boring to read. Every thread becomes off topic and moves to how shit Nintendo is. Yeah some decisions they have made do stink but I joined the forum (originally for the MK League) to have positive discussion about Nintendo. Anyone would think that this is not a nintendo forum at all. Maybe it should just become a general gaming forum or something.

EDIT: I'm not saying don't post anything about Nintendo as it is good to read a balance of opinions but it just comes across that on this forum there are some members that actually intend to troll every thread created on this board about how shit Nintendo is.

Don't be so melodramatic, brah. :p

I also made a positive thread in General Gaming about the Wii U which got like...5 replies? If you want positivity, there's plenty in there, too. I think the criticism is entirely justifiable.

I do think the tipping point has come, as far as I'm concerned. I loved the Wii and could look beyond its flaws and appreciate what is was; a fucking great games console. The Wii U has potential but I worry that it's not getting realised. I understand why Nintendo are whoring the likes of Mario, because he's a cash-cow. They have to make their money somehow, so I get it. But, what I (me, as a gamer) need is something more. It's painful to see great games not appearing on the system, for whatever reason. The fact that Alien Isolation, for example, isn't seeing a Wii U release when it's stated to be on the PS3,PS4, Xbox360, One and PC is inexcusable.

There are glimpses of hope and when Nintendo do get it right, it's great. Pikmin 3 was excellent, Wonderful 101 is great and 3D World is a nice game. But, for balance, there needs to be edgier games or games that can act as a parallel to what Nintendo offers with Mario and Donkey Kong, etc. The GameCube had Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime, which were out-standing games. Wii had the likes of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Dead Space: Extraction, Cursed Mountain (under-rated, imo). There was variation there. That's all I want really, variation. If Nintendo (or third parties) can provide that, then brilliant, give it to me and I will lap it up. But, to see games not hitting the system or given sketchy release details (what the fuck is up with Watch Dogs?) doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm tired of not getting games that should be available, but aren't.

Haha, I'm just using things known to explain what it's similar to. Trust me, he's remix is a very original a and brilliant game, it uses old games, takes ideas from wario ware and creates something new, don't all "original" games use other ideas?

Why are people so he'll bent on bashing Nintendo? I don't get it. NES remix is an amazing thing, it's something new, I'd love to see them do versions on all their consoles, yet they still get bashed for it... I don't understand it....

Yes, I've said this many times, I've said this to mods, to the people who I feel who troll, it gets ignored and you get called paranoid. Although in this case I'm not bothered, in general this place can be hideous to come to...

Of course, it may be fun to some gamers, but it is unoriginal as hell. And that's currently the topic of the discussion

How is it unoriginal? Name me one other game that has done this?

@Fierce_LiNk I don't disagree! like I've said so done else! I've written an article for another site about Nintendo ineptitude with online and highlighted Nintendoland. I think it's just the accusations of them never doing anything new, when they do, but also this attack against their big franchises. That IS nintendo, if you're bored of Zelda and mario and pikmin and smash and kart etc then maybe you've moved beyond Nintendo in my opinion. But like I've said, xenoblade, pandoras tower and last story were all new ip in the mold people seem to be crying out for. Hyrule warriors, while still Zelda, is at least something different, buying bayonetta 2, x2, fire emblem vs Megami (?!?!?) etc isn't it all a step in the right direction? Plus we have no idea what else they have really until e3.

People wank off Sony but do we know what they have for the rest of the year? Uncharted 4? Maybe. A remake of a year old game in LOU, drive club? They may have more, I don't know. But I doubt much more that we know of yet.

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

Haha, I'm just using things known to explain what it's similar to. Trust me, he's remix is a very original a and brilliant game, it uses old games, takes ideas from wario ware and creates something new, don't all "original" games use other ideas?

Why are people so he'll bent on bashing Nintendo? I don't get it. NES remix is an amazing thing, it's something new, I'd love to see them do versions on all their consoles, yet they still get bashed for it... I don't understand it....

Yes, I've said this many times, I've said this to mods, to the people who I feel who troll, it gets ignored and you get called paranoid. Although in this case I'm not bothered, in general this place can be hideous to come to...

I don't think my posts have been trolling at all. I'd say the discussion has been decent and I've been enjoying it. In fact, take away a few of the "oh, this forum" posts, then I'd say it was a good advertisement of the forum. I'd also say that it sums up Nintendo at the moment; some things right (quirky titles like Wonderful 101, Pikmin, STRONG platformers), some things wrong (not enough variation, needs more third party games). Seems like a fair assessment.

We need to define "this":

NES Remix is a re-release of old NES games with challenges strapped on.

Most of the new games these days have challenges already built in (achievements/trophies). Why can't Nintendo develop a new game with the same sort of "mechanics"?

Also, I don't consider playing Donkey Kong and jumping over 3 barrels within 60 seconds original...

I don't think my posts have been trolling at all. I'd say the discussion has been decent and I've been enjoying it. In fact, take away a few of the "oh, this forum" posts, then I'd say it was a good advertisement of the forum. I'd also say that it sums up Nintendo at the moment; some things right (quirky titles like Wonderful 101, Pikmin, STRONG platformers), some things wrong (not enough variation, needs more third party games). Seems like a fair assessment.

I don't think you've been trolling either. You'd be one of the last people I could accuse of doing that. And yeah, like I mentioned, in this case I don't have a problem this discussion... Except maybe with the repeated "Nintendo/NES remix aren't original"...

I don't think 3rd parties are coming, we need to accept that I feel. The best thing Nintendo can do is have partnerships with 3rd parties, like Hyrule warriors and an co etc with the hope, they return the favour, build up the audience, and hopefully 3rd parties will maybe start whacking some games in the system.

We need to define "this":

NES Remix is a re-release of old NES games with challenges strapped on.

Most of the new games these days have challenges already built in (achievements/trophies). Why can't Nintendo develop a new game with the same sort of "mechanics"?

Also, I don't consider playing Donkey Kong and jumping over 3 barrels within 60 seconds original...

No they aren't the old games. You can't play the old games in this game. They are not achievements you do in the games. They are wario ware style challenges using bits of the games, sometimes merging them (in the new one the merging is, thankfully, much bigger). If you like NES games it is incredible, feels different to pretty much anything (bar wario ware for me). How you can slag it off I have no idea. The concept is brilliant and I'd love gameboy remix, snes remix, n64 remix etc.

Once again I would like to point out we do not, nor will we ever, have a rule that stipulates you must love Nintendo. Providing you can reasonably, rationally and maturely argue it, you can hold whatever opinion you wish.

People wank off Sony but do we know what they have for the rest of the year? Uncharted 4? Maybe. A remake of a year old game in LOU, drive club? They may have more, I don't know. But I doubt much more that we know of yet.

As for this petulant point. The difference being that the PS4 is getting a lot of third party support. People are commending Sony as a hardware manufacturer, that has made a console that seeks to help developers (and as a business that provides financial/pastoral support) rather than celebrating them as a software maker. It might be unfair for fans to want diversity from Nintendo, but as a hardware manufacturer they made decisions (rightly or wrongly) that has resulted in their software being the prime driving force behind the console. As Jim said, it feels more pertinent this generation as third parties are lacking and thus if we want diversity, it seems that Nintendo is the only software company that can supply it at present.

(this isn't to say Nintendo doesn't try and help third parties etc in the same way Sony does, before anyone argues that, but a look at the release schedules of the two consoles suggests Sony is doing a better job of it/has made a more appealing console for third parties)

But to answer your question, currently known games out for the rest of the year published by Sony (as we're classing W101 as a Nintendo game, I'm guessing we're going by publisher rather than developer):

Driveclub

Helldivers

Hohokum

MLB 14: The Show

The Order: 1886

PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate

The Last of Us Remastered

Uncharted

And games still unknown, so could be 2014 could be 2015 (guess we'll know better after E3):

Everybody's Gone to Rapture

Rime

Shadow of the Beast

Apparently I can't articulate clearly enough to make my point, so I'm just going to stop.

That's the trouble with "New IP", in my opinion. It's become almost like a buzzword. Nintendo could make 100 New IP and people still might not like them.

Look at it this way: Is it likely they can come up with better adventure series than Metroid or Zelda? In my opinion, not, and they are better off trying to make their existing series as good as possible, maybe making a new one when they have a very different idea.

To me, the real issue is that they aren't drawing on enough of their existing IP. When I saw the Wii U, I wanted to see how much more thrilling it could make the mountains of 1080; how much more realistic the water in WaveRace etc. And yes, F-Zero. It's their best racing series, so why wouldn't we want a new one?

As others have said, the first two years of the Wii U were characterised by Nintendo thinking the Wii audience was still there. Their teams are more used to HD development now - look at how amazing Mario Kart 8's graphics are. Maybe it's for the best that they practised on Donkey Kong and New Super Mario Bros, especially if they use that new-found expertise to make sure the next wave of games - hopefully Metroid, F-Zero, Zelda - are even better than they would have been earlier on in the machine's life.

Once again I would like to point out we do not, nor will we ever, have a rule that stipulates you must love Nintendo. Providing you can reasonably, rationally and maturely argue it, you can hold whatever opinion you wish.

As for this petulant point. The difference being that the PS4 is getting a lot of third party support. People are commending Sony as a hardware manufacturer, that has made a console that seeks to help developers (and as a business that provides financial/pastoral support) rather than celebrating them as a software maker. It might be unfair for fans to want diversity from Nintendo, but as a hardware manufacturer they made decisions (rightly or wrongly) that has resulted in their software being the prime driving force behind the console. As Jim said, it feels more pertinent this generation as third parties are lacking and thus if we want diversity, it seems that Nintendo is the only software company that can supply it at present.

(this isn't to say Nintendo doesn't try and help third parties etc in the same way Sony does, before anyone argues that, but a look at the release schedules of the two consoles suggests Sony is doing a better job of it/has made a more appealing console for third parties)

But to answer your question, currently known games out for the rest of the year published by Sony (as we're classing W101 as a Nintendo game, I'm guessing we're going by publisher rather than developer):

Driveclub

Helldivers

Hohokum

Uncharted

And games still unknown, so could be 2014 could be 2015 (guess we'll know better after E3):

Rime

Shadow of the Beast

Erm, we're classing Wonderful 101 as a Nintendo game because it's paid for by Nintendo and Nintendo owns the IP, not just because they published it.

I may be wrong, but Sony actually only own Driveclub, The Last of Us, The Order: 1886 and Uncharted.

Driveclub

Helldivers

Hohokum

Uncharted

Rime

Shadow of the Beast

How is petulant? It's 95% the people who praise Sony for new ip, that are slag off nintendo the most, so it IS a fair comparison. And this debate ISN'T about hardware, so why bring it up? It's about originality and new ip, so don't change the debate to suit an agenda.

As for your games, my point exactly, barely anything there. I don't see it as a problem because there's still enough coming out; but you don't find me in the other boards posting ten times a day about how shit sony are and unoriginal etc etc

PS Your first paragraph. Who has ever asked for this? I'm absolutely sick of this stock response the sony fans churn out to defend their incessant attacking of Nintendo (I'm not saying you do this Ashley), but I slag off Nintendo all the time, Kav does, hero does.... I don't know how many times I need to say this, but it's not about people being negative about NIntendo, it's when they DON'T have an argument, when it is absolutely incessant and thread derailing, when their is an insane amount of hypocrisy in it, it gets irritating, it's not about being negative to nintendo. i feel like this stock reply is there to simply demean whoever is criticising, like the only reason it annoys us is because people slag off nintendo. When it isn't. So please can this argument against it stop.

Its not that people are saying don't criticise Nintendo where its due - the most positive members do too - Its just the repetitive "oh but why aren't Nintendo doing this? [insert some Sony/Microsoft product, tactic etc]" tips the scale a bit too much.

Some people seem to actually right off games completely without even giving them a shot (!), which is just strange.

We know at least four positive things that are scheduled to take place:

Nintendo are aware of the Wii U slump and may be looking into ways to rectify this.

Mario Kart is a few weeks away.

Smash Bros is looking amazing.

E3 is just around the corner.

The common anti-Nintendo rhetoric is kinda like having a girlfriend you love but are constantly slagging off... If its not doing it for you move on and find those greener pastures - but if you have to stay, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit positive.

There are games. There are games coming. Wii U technology is very acceptable. Be positive. :heh:

Erm, we're classing Wonderful 101 as a Nintendo game because it's paid for by Nintendo and Nintendo owns the IP, not just because they published it.

I may be wrong, but Sony actually only own Driveclub, The Last of Us, The Order: 1886 and Uncharted.

Okay fine, then I misunderstood the reason it is classed as that and your point is valid.

How is petulant?

"People wank off Sony".

And this debate ISN'T about hardware, so why bring it up? It's about originality and new ip, so don't change the debate to suit an agenda.

I interpreted the debate to include hardware. The lack of original games on the Wii U (perceived or not) is, in my opinion, partially down to the hardware excluding third parties (to a degree, there are of course other factors). This in turn results in Nintendo being the primary source of games on the Wii U. If you take the view point that Nintendo is lacking in originality or taking risk nowadays (which I do, but each their own) then it is feasible to see this in part because the hardware has forced them to be the main software producers, and in turn they have less opportunity for risk. If there were loads of third party games, then Nintendo may be inclined to revive old franchises (Wave Race, Metroid etc) or try out new ones. As it is, I understand why they may be more reliant upon Mario as its a cash cow. Consequently, original ideas go down the pecking order.

Hopefully that explains why I brought it up. Not to stray from the discussion, but to give my thoughts on why we might be in this situation where some people (rightly or wrongly) feel that Nintendo is lacking in originality.

As for your games, my point exactly, barely anything there. I don't see it as a problem because there's still enough coming out; but you don't find me in the other boards posting ten times a day about how shit sony are and unoriginal etc etc

This kind of circles back to my hardware point. I think people are praising Sony for their hardware (and to a lesser extent, marketing, PR etc) and as such aren't craving loads of titles (both in number and originality) from Sony themselves, which is why the same kind of arguments aren't being levied against Sony as they are Nintendo. The originality and breadth of titles (that some people feel Nintendo is lacking) is being covered by third parties. They were connected points, but maybe I didn't explain it well. Sorry about that.

PS Your first paragraph. Who has ever asked for this? I'm absolutely sick of this stock response the sony fans churn out to defend their incessant attacking of Nintendo (I'm not saying you do this Ashley), but I slag off Nintendo all the time, Kav does, hero does.... I don't know how many times I need to say this, but it's not about people being negative about NIntendo, it's when they DON'T have an argument, when it is absolutely incessant and thread derailing, when their is an insane amount of hypocrisy in it, it gets irritating, it's not about being negative to nintendo. i feel like this stock reply is there to simply demean whoever is criticising, like the only reason it annoys us is because people slag off nintendo. When it isn't. So please can this argument against it stop.

If its not out-right been asked, it's certainly been inferred. Most discussions will heat up for a bit and then someone will say "well I thought this was supposed to be a Nintendo forum so why is everyone so negative!"

I have yet to see an "incessant attacking of Nintendo". I've seen people question their actions, I've seen people disappointed by their actions, but very seldom would I classify any response as incessant attacking.

And if we want to go down this "we don't do it but they do" route I would point you to the General Gaming Board. For example, Flink's 'Things That Nintendo Have Got Right This Generation' thread. It was all going nicely, people were commenting on the good stuff, and then Serebii (I don't wish to name names, but it would be obvious anyway if you look at the thread) comes in to call cinematic games "dross". There's an attack. It's a minor one, sure, and not one I'm going to get het up about, but it's an example of people taking seemingly unwarranted attacks at something in what was supposed to be a positive Nintendo thread. The same argument could be made by saying "I like that Nintendo is gameplay focused as I prefer that kind of game". Then there's the classic "mobile games aren't real games" argument that has been levied by certain people and the fact certain pro-Nintendo people have admitted to intentionally trying to cause arguments in the Other Consoles board.

There are countless example (in this thread and others) where we'll be discussing Nintendo and a Nintendo-favouring person will suddenly feel the need to bring in Sony/Microsoft into the discussion to somehow prove a point (that Nintendo isn't the only one with problems perhaps? but that should be obvious). It happens, it's part of discussions but to think it is just pro-Sony people doing it (and they're doing it to slag off Nintendo rather than criticise (there is a difference)) is misguided. It is happening on all sides.

If you want people to discuss Nintendo positively do something about it. Fused King made the 'Lets Talk' series. Flink made the thread I mentioned above and yet the people who keep harking on about negative comments being made about Nintendo, don't seem to be trying to engage in positive discussions. Instead they seem quick to get riled up and angry at others.

Some people seem to actually right off games completely without even giving them a shot (!), which is just strange.

I would just like to point out this works both ways. I reviewed a game and people who hadn't played it told me I was wrong.

It's ridiculous, but the Internet is ridiculous at times :heh: