Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

NINTENDO PROMISES THERE WON’T BE A WII U SOFTWARE DROUGHT IN 2014

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has promised on GameTrailers that the Wii U won’t see the same kind of software drought that plagued*the Wii U during the first half of 2013. Reggie admitted that Nintendo had made a mistake, but they hope to rectify that in 2014 with a steady flow of software for the format.

“The way we’re going to be different is, we’re gonna certainly have a steadier pace of games – both for Wii U and for 3DS.”

“The marketing activity is going to be constant throughout the entire year. You tease me a little bit that ‘boy the first half [of 2013] was a little quiet,’ and y’know what, you look back and it was. We’re not going to be making that same mistake in 2014.”

“So the pace, the ongoing activity, touching the consumer, and messaging what we’re all about. That’s going to be a big difference next year.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/11/24/nintendo-promises-there-wont-be-a-wii-u-software-drought-in-2014/

If anybody but Reggie said this I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but this man is a stone cold liar. I hope it's true.

So Smash, Kart and Bayonetta 2 for the Wii U and then.... nothing until Xmas of any note? Oh shit, sorry Yarn Yoshi.

DK in Feb, Mario Kart in Spring, Smash in Summer and X in Winter. There will be a few others, like Yoshi and Bayonetta, scattered throughout the year. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Cube HD remake either at some point. A decent lineup already but the question is what will fill the gaps and will all of these arrive next year?

I remember when Reggie said that online is the air that gamers breathe and that Nintendo wants to give us as much of that air as possible... then they go and make most of their games offline multiplayer only. Nice one Reggie, nice one!

I think people are being slightly unfair to the guy. He's obviously pushing for the right things but what say does he really have? Nintendo Japan makes all the decisions and design the games. I'm sure if Reggie had some actual power he would do things differently.

Also, don't blame the guy for making positive PR comments. He can hardly go on GTTV and say 'Look guys, we've got fuck all in the pipeline, we've dropped the ball and things are grim'.

Also, I genuinely am not feeling the lack of software, I have 16 retail games and one on preorder, plus there's a backlog of stuff I want to buy!

I think people are being slightly unfair to the guy. He's obviously pushing for the right things but what say does he really have? Nintendo Japan makes all the decisions and design the games. I'm sure if Reggie had some actual power he would do things differently.

Also, don't blame the guy for making positive PR comments. He can hardly go on GTTV and say 'Look guys, we've got fuck all in the pipeline, we've dropped the ball and things are grim'.

Also, I genuinely am not feeling the lack of software, I have 16 retail games and one on preorder, plus there's a backlog of stuff I want to buy!

Thank you. People who call him a liar clearly don't understand business

Thank you. People who call him a liar clearly don't understand business

I suppose you think politicians aren't liars either? Doesn't matter why he says stuff, if it's not true, it's not true. I would rather he said nothing than spout rubbish.

It's like when they came out and said the Wii U would target the core and they have learned lessons from the 3DS launch. Silence would have been a better option in this case.

To be fair my feelings towards Reggie are bias. I've always hated him, as he comes across as cocky and arrogant. If you are gonna spout lies then at least be lovable and sell the idea.

I suppose you think politicians aren't liars either? Doesn't matter why he says stuff, if it's not true, it's not true. I would rather he said nothing than spout rubbish.

It's like when they came out and said the Wii U would target the core and they have learned lessons from the 3DS launch. Silence would have been a better option in this case.

To be fair my feelings towards Reggie are bias. I've always hated him, as he comes across as cocky and arrogant. If you are gonna spout lies then at least be lovable and sell the idea.

Politicians are all scum.

However, if one of the heads of a company came out and said "We have nothing", it would severely damage the business.

My problem is its not just Reggie. Him and Iwata say things will happen and they then dont.

The idea that they somehow they should get a pass because its business is absurd.

Also co-sign on the feelings towards Reggie. Never understood why so many people like him.

The only way Nintendo will be able to prevent any software drought will be if they've actually managed to get some third party support to fill in the gaps between their titles. Yes, they've got a decent, and somewhat varied, lineup of titles for next year if they all hit (I'm not holding my breath on X getting a release next year. Definitely see that as a 2015 title) but that'll mean nothing if that's all they have, which at the moment looks to be the case as there's virtually nothing third party wise beyond Watch Dogs.

Some love to argue that its first party titles that sell consoles (and that is true in Nintendo's case) but if that's all there is then outside of the core Nintendo fanbase, the majority of gamers won't bother giving the console a look because why would you consider the Wii U if it's going to miss out on the vast majority of third party experiences.

It's a well tread and tired argument now so I'll leave it at that but I'm definitely of the opinion that Nintendo, and Reggie for that matter, need to put up or shut up. It's one thing to throw around PR speech but if you haven't got the goods then keep quiet rather than damaging the brand more than it already is. Hopefully they'll have some surprises software wise next year, both from themselves and from third parties, to entice people (such as myself although realistically, I'm waiting for X and that's it really) to buy the Wii U.

there's virtually nothing third party wise beyond Watch Dogs.

I think you're forgetting two LEGO games, which traditionally sell best on Nintendo consoles (okay, I guess that was back in the days of the Wii, but still), and Skylanders 4.

There's bound to be more unannounced games coming, too. No doubt more than enough to keep me satisfied alongside the 3DS, anyways.

He said this BEFORE the release of Wii U as well, he also said we'd be getting great third party support.

I honestly don't mind, I've got more than enough games to look forward to and have plenty of fun on my Wii U but I can see hoe a lot of people, especially those that aren't hardcore Nintendo fans, may not be too pleased with the line-up.

I don't know much about the gaming business, but would it be possible for Nintendo to gain some third party support by throwing some of their cash around?

The Daily Mail is worse :p

The Daily Mail is awesome! what have they ever actually truethfully said thats so bad? i've never understood why everyone hates them, nobody ever complains about that other parody news site The Onion? why do people hate parody news sites? the onyl way it makes any sense is if people think its a genuine news site

Did anyone actually watch the GTTV interview?

... just seems weird everyone started talking about it after Wii posted a quote from it.

Yeah, I did.

I did agree with him though when he said its Nintendos job to drive the platform and then 3rd parties will hopefully follow suit.

He also predicted 10million sales each for Mario 3D World, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. What did the Cube versions of these franchises do? It would be a good comparison give the size of the user base.

He also predicted 10million sales each for Mario 3D World, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. What did the Cube versions of these franchises do? It would be a good comparison give the size of the user base.
Ah yeah that was interesting.

I think he said those 3 franchises would all be in the Top 10 selling games of the WiiU/PS4/Xbone generation, not 10million sales.

It's fair to assume Mario Kart will be.

The other two I'm not so sure about at all.

I don't know much about the gaming business, but would it be possible for Nintendo to gain some third party support by throwing some of their cash around?

Throw enough money and you can get anything in this world. Within reason people before someone says well you can't buy.......

The US is getting this

BZ7Dp7gCQAAHm5B.jpg

Not a bad plan. Sort of explains why NintendoLand disappeared from the eShop over there

There's also so much positive Nintendo news going around now. I'm stunned.

What a difference a game makes.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost