N-Europe

What's Your Game of the Mid-Year?

Impossible for me because I'm always catching up on games :p...

But we're halfway through 2013 now and it's been a great year so far! Might be fun to see how everyone rates the first half of the year, and what their No.1 or Top5 would be.

The home console have had a stellar start to the year with games such as...

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

mh3-1-610x343.jpg

Tomb Raider

torch.jpg

Ni No Kuni

Ni-no-Kuni1.jpg

Bioshock Infinite

bioshock-articleLarge.jpg

and of course The Last of Us.

The-Last-Of-Us.jpg

The Handhelds have seen the likes of

Animal Crossing

252401-237588-aheader.jpg

Luigi's Mansion 2

203318-LuigisMansion2MainImage.jpg

and Persona 4.

Persona_4__NOT_MY_ART_by_MenghisKhan.jpg

There have also been some cracking Indie games like of

Guacamelee!

guacamelee-review-screenshot-10.jpg

and Mighty Switch Force 2

article_post_width_news-mighty-switch-force-2.png

And there have been loads more beside, with Lego City, Dead Space 3, God of War Ascension, Metal Gear Rising, New Super Luigi U and no doubt many I'm forgetting.

So what gets your vote?

Edited by Retro_Link

The games that have blown me away on Wii U and the 3DS only (that's all I own);

Wii U

need_for_speed_most_wanted_wii_u.jpg

The best [survival horror] action arcade racer game I've played in a long long time. [RE:Rev's] Others have been good, but this was shit [scary] fast, good looking and tense, seat of the pants, most of the time.

3DS

tumblr_static_fire_emblem_awakening_cover_art.jpg

Wasn't even going to pick it up if it wasn't for the "Too Many Games" promotion. Thanks for that Nintendo, this game is sublime.

Edited by londragon

Oh i hate this thread, it's so difficult to choose just the one from each.

Home Console

X360 - My Game of the Mid-Year goes to Bioshock Infinite. It doesn't feel like the Bioshock games of old, but does bring in elements that made the games good. But that is just my opinion on that. The story is different, combat is good and i loved the characters and the diaglouge.

WiiU - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. First WiiU game i played, which to be honest can be classed as a 3DS game as i take it on the move with me to get more hunting experience on my journey across Wales. Missions are varied, and i'm having a lot more fun since adding some upgrades to the equipment.

Handheld

Only the one choice here, it's Animal Crossing: New Leaf. What is there not to love about this game, it is easily a Game of the Year candidate that is for certain.

I'll just try and break it down to console I own:

PS3: Haven't bought any games for it this year.

Xbox 360: Haven't bough any games for it this year.

Wii U: Lego City: Undercover

Yeah, one might ask why. It's a Lego game, which aren't usually done the way "masterpieces" should. But the game is super fun, it has much to do, and a huge city to explore. It took me 24 hours to finish the main story (not many games, outside RPGs, have single-player this long), and after that, 52 hours to complete the game. No one should write it off, just because it's aimed at everyone.

Nintendo 3DS: Luigi's Mansion 2

This game is great! I was a bit sceptic when I heard that the game has bee outsourced to American company (my personal feeling of yanks isn't exactly positive), but I gave it a go, and I can't believe what I almost missed out. So much improvements from the original, and interesting gameplay mechanics. Well spent 40€.

The Last of Us (PS3)

the-last-of-us-promo-pic.jpg

It felt extremely fresh and I experienced many things that I had previously not experienced in a game before. Playing on hard with all assists off was perfect.

Tomb Raider (PC)

Screenshot-from-Tomb-Raid-008.jpg

Looked amazing on PC, combat was a lot of fun and the gameplay was top-notch all round. I would have liked some challenge maps for more combat.

BioShock Infinite (PC)

gsm_169_bioshock_infinite_multi_review_032513_09_640.jpg

Amazing narrative. Gameplay was a bit stale in places but overall brilliant.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS)

animal_crossing_new_leaf_header.jpg

I've spent so much time on this. Highly addictive.

Star Trek (360)

star-trek-the-video-game-box-art.jpg

A lot of fun in co-op. The stealth "puzzles" are fun, some great weapons, lots of great banter and a decent story.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)

far-cry-3-blood-dragon_1280.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

A short but sweet humorous game.

Thomas Was Alone (Vita)

twa.jpg

Fun puzzler, but the narrative somehow makes you care about the blocks.

@londragon, ZombiU is last year though so can't count that one ;)

Wow yeah Fire Emblem too! what a great 2013 for the 3DS.

haha, you may hate it @Jimbob, but hopefully it will make your Game of the Year choice easier :p

Hopefully so, hang on the next gen consoles are out this year as well. Lovely, more consoles to choose a GoTY from.

I've just realized something pretty depressing. I haven't bought one Xbox360 game that was released this year yet, Nor PS3.

I've only bought one WiiU game and 3 3DS Games. The rest of my gaming purchases this year have only been older games that i'm buying for my collection or older games I just wanted to play.

So that said my game of the mid year has to be 'Animal Crossing - New Leaf'

(Out of interest I've bought

Pikmin1

Fire Emblem Sacred Stones

Endless Ocean

Tingles Freshly Picked

WWE 13

Luigis Mansion 2

Fire Emblem 3: Awakening

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Game & Wario

That I can remember, sure there are more older Nintendo titles I picked up but can't remember.

Without a shadow of a doubt The Last of Us. Naughty Dog really are unrivalled. Uncharted 2 was definitely a benchmark this generation but The Last of Us was the pièce de résistance. They are absolute masters of the medium (Well, the U2/TLOU team...U3 was a bit of a mess). Just the promise of a game from them sells me on the PS4.

The games I've CLEARED this year are..

N64

Pilotwings 64

Top Gear Rally

3DS

Luigi's Mansion 2

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure

Wii U

New Super Mario Bros U

Nintendo Land

Zombi U

PS1

Crash Team Racing

Wipeout

PS2

Silent Hill 2

PS3

Heavy Rain

Mirror's Edge

Street Fighter IV

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Mega Drive

Sonic 3

Sonic & Knuckles

Sonic 4: Episode II

Dreamcast

Headhunter

The only one of those that came out this year is Luigi's Mansion 2 so I guess it has to be my favourite so far this year by default.. though I'm not entirely convinced it deserves to be :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...

Top 3 so far...

Mighty Switch Force 2

Just a great little game. As usual for WayForward software, the graphics, music and controls are all perfect and it makes me want to see what they could do if they made a game like this but without the puzzles.

Fire Emblem: Awakening

I wasn't actually anticipating this game very much, but it was just done so well. Presentation was amazing, but it's also a massive improvement in terms of accessibility and ease-of-play. Thought it'd be Game of the Year until...

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Crazy, just crazy. I played the GameCube original for a short while, but this has me hooked. StreetPass and online features help make this the best in the series so far.