Halo 5: Guardians

Retro_Link

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...

hero_halo5.jpg?h=529&w=940

Any time you transition to a new platform, there is the opportunity to look at things with a new perspective. For us at 343 Industries, the launch of the Xbox One was an opportunity to think about what stories we wanted to tell, how to tell them, and how best to push the “Halo” franchise to showcase the platform. And, most importantly, combining our passion for “Halo” with the vocal and informative input from our fans.

“Halo” isn’t simply a perennial game franchise, it’s a part of the Xbox platform itself. In terms of innovation and ideation, it’s sometimes important to people who might not even play “Halo.” And of course it’s a passion and an essential experience for two generations of gamers. So we asked ourselves, how do we begin and where do we go with “Halo” on Xbox One?

In the past, “Halo” games have pushed the Xbox forward, showcasing the console and its ecosystem in entertaining and innovative ways. Making a “Halo” game that runs at 60 frames per second, on dedicated servers, with the scope, features and scale we’ve been dreaming of for more than a decade, is non-trivial. It’s a task that we, at 343 Industries, are taking very seriously to ensure we deliver the “Halo” game that fans deserve, and a game that is built from the ground up for Xbox One.

I’m happy to reveal that “Halo 5: Guardians,” the next installment in the legendary saga of the Master Chief, will launch on Xbox One in fall of 2015. In the tradition of every “Halo” game since its debut in 2001, it is a massive and exciting project.

“Halo 5: Guardians” is a bigger effort than “Halo 4.” That applies to the content and scope of the game, as well as the technology in what’s now a brand new and more powerful engine. Certainly there are some core elements carried over from prior games, but we’ve invested a huge effort in retooling our tech to take full advantage of the Xbox One’s hardware and ecosystem to create worlds and experiences worthy of next-gen.

It’s a game that will hopefully demonstrate the talent, learnings and abilities of the 343 Industries team. A game that will incorporate the things we learned from “Halo 4” about technology, aesthetics, performance and scale – and perhaps more importantly, understanding and embracing a community of gamers who love what lies at the heart of this game, and the limitless potential of the “Halo” universe.

And 2015 won’t simply be the year of “Halo 5: Guardians,” it will also be a year that offers us a unique opportunity. The opportunity to invite old friends and new audiences into that universe through the “Halo” television series, launched as a unique collaboration with Steven Spielberg and some of the finest creative minds in the business. A series that will stand alone, as well as complement and enrich the game experience. We’ll have more to share on the “Halo” television series as we near its projected fall 2015 release.

Your Journey Begins in 2014

Many fans noted that I was very deliberate with my phrasing on stage at E3 last year. I spoke about a “journey,” rather than a destination – and that journey definitely begins in 2014 with a giant leap, rather than one small step. We’ll give you much more information about our plans for this year at the Xbox E3 2014 Media Briefing on June 9, and we’re confident that “Halo” fans will be pretty excited about the special plans we have in store.

So until E3, I’d like to express my gratitude to our massive and varied Halo community, whose energy, enthusiasm, criticism and kindness are the driving force behind what we do and what we hope to achieve in “Halo 5: Guardians.”

That's an awfully long time to wait for a system sellers to come out.

Kinect-less X1, now Halo 5 announcement.

Do they have anything left for E3?

They're betting on Halo 2 remake.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind it's going to happen. Especially when a certain leak seems to have hit a nail last week.

Kinect-less X1, now Halo 5 announcement.

Do they have anything left for E3?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I don't understand this strategy at all; if it's just a matter of them trying to cover up the bad news from NPD this month then it's an awfully shortsighted move IMO.

I don't see how diminishing the impact of announcements like this and the kinectless/price drop SKU is helping them (especially when now they're gonna suffer a whole month of non-sales now as everybody waits for the big $100 pricedrop). It just makes no sense :confused:

Surely they have some new IP's and unannounced partnerships etc... for E3, I wouldn't worry, with Gears and Halo 5 both a LONG way off they'll have stuff to show.

Yeah I'd imagine they have stuff to show off that is due this year. Didn't they do that with Forza Horizon, announce it at E3 then release it few months later.

The single player didn't even cross my mind. I wouldn't touch it. Halo 2 was the game that defined online FPS genre on consoles.

I've never played a Halo campaign properly. Multiplayer is all I've ever cared about.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

267-cover-reveal-spread.jpg

tYeH8Fi.png

HELL YEAH! Nathan Fillion! :D:yay::yay::bowdown:

You've played the Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer beta. Now it's time to uncover the mysteries behind the story.

We went to 343 Industries to get the first hands-on with Master Chief's campaign. As you can see from the cover imagery, the Chief is now accompanied by the legendary Blue Team in both single-player and four-player co-op. Linda, Fred, and Kelly were abducted when they were six years old alongside John to be turned into Spartan-II super soldiers. This tight-knit squad grew up together and battled through many adventures in the expanded fiction, but this will mark their first significant role in a core Halo game. With the loss of Cortana in Halo 4, Blue Team steps up to interact with Chief, appear in cutscenes, and accept commands from him in single-player. In co-op play, everyone takes on a specific member, each with a different loadout unique to their specialty.

We played an early mission set before Master Chief and Blue Team are declared AWOL by the very military that made them. The flipside of the campaign follows Spartan Jameson Locke, seen in the Halo: Nightfall TV series, as he tracks down Halo's signature hero to bring him in or take him down. Locke recruits a team of his own, Fireteam Osiris, to do the job. This mix of familiar and new faces rounds out the team of high-tech Spartan-IVs, who all come from elite military backgrounds. See if you can spot a returning fan favorite in our coverage trailer below.

Our lengthy hands-on sessions also included plenty of time in the revamped competitive Arena multiplayer. In the cover story, we break down specific changes to the Empire map from last winter's beta and we debut a never-before-seen map called Fathom. This undersea base looks gorgeous and is loaded with all kinds of hidden tricks for experienced players to dig in and discover. 343 also teases a new multiplayer mode never seen in a Halo game before. Read about all this and more in the latest issue of Game Informer.

Halo 5: Guardians is set to release on October 27 on Xbox One.

Outstanding! It's about time we got to play as Blue Team. I've been waiting to see these guys in the games for years now.

Campaign

- Solo Players accompanied by a team of 3 other Spartans from Blue Team, ability to give basic squad order ala Republic Commando.

- Drop in/Drop Out online coop

- GI played only the second mission titled ‘Blue Team’

- All Spartan abilities available in MP also present in SP

- Second Level ends with Chief dreaming

- Has alternate paths in campaign levels

- In coop each player is a different member of Blue Team, and players start with different loadouts, plus the final game will have different huds for each character

- Split screen not supported

LOVED Republic Commando on the original Xbox and hearing that this shares similar gameplay mechanics as that has me very excited.

MP

- Game will launch with over 20 maps (unknown how many are forge variants), their plan is to add 15 more by June 2016

- ALL DLC TO BE FREE

- Empire has been tweaked substantially since the beta

- A brand new underwater map revelead called Fathom, is symmetrical.

- BTB to be revealed at E3, or rather a ‘new epic multiplayer experience’.

See that, Nintendo? 20 maps as well as free DLC ones.

Yup. I'm very hyped. :D