N-Europe

Official E3 Nintendo Direct Discussion - 11th June @ 3pm

Mokong

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed the first 20 or so minutes but sounds/looks like I didn't miss much. Caught the end of the new Donkey Kong title but if that's what Retro have been working on then poor show Nintendo!

At the very least, Bayonetta 2 looks great (and thankfully Nintendo aren't watering it down), as does X and the Megaman coming in on Smash Bros did hit me for some nostalgia.

But sounds as though it was a very short and very underwhelming showing. No 3rd party titles to speak of in there (and yes I'm aware many people here don't give a toss but if I'm to pick up a Wii U, I need a bit more than Nintendo's own offerings to justify its price point even if they do at some point drop the price) which isn't good news and doesn't sound like there were any 3DS games aside from some Pokemon stuff.

So, in other words, no need to pick up a Wii U any time soon or at least not until Bayonetta 2 and X some along next year. Perhaps by then, there may be some 3rd party stuff to help balance things out.

It says a lot for gaming in 2013 when the biggest cheer at E3 went up for Sony announcing that their console would be able do the same thing that consoles have been able to do since the beginning of time.

Fucking joke.

I dont think it says much at all apart from people being happy that MS's policies wont be carrying over. There have still been some amazing looking games shown at this E3 that make me excited to be playing games.

People keep reading too much into those cheers.

Well I loved the Donkey Kong Country Returns 2 trailer and the CG Mario Kart 8 trailer, but everything else was underwhelming, especially the new Mario (which I'm sure will be great) but looks like New Super Mario Bros 3D and the Wind Waker, which didn't look that different to the Gamecube version IMO.

Nothing new or unannounced in the third party sizzle reel either ...

Edited by welsh_gamer

Where's the 3rd party support? Really, that's what Retro have been working on all this time. What a waste of talent. Am I right, they're doing the new DCKR2? It's like having Leonardo Da Vinci draw stick figures.

Edited by Wii

Surprised people are so underwhelmed, the danger of being over-hyped I suppose.

Wind Waker - thank f*** they didn't ruin the visuals, looked stunning

Mario Kart 8 - awesome

Mario 3D World - clever title, bit underwhelmed, expected a Galaxy type 'wow' game

Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101 and Smash Bros all looked great.

I really think Nintendo have just fucked it in absolute style. The "big" games this christmas - an underwhelming sequel of a 3DS game in Mario, when everyone expects Mario to constantly redefine the genre, a new Galaxy would be slightyl disappinting and that the greatest game ever made, a sequel to (an admittedly brilliant) 3DS game is disappointing. A Wii Party game - fuck me! A sequel to a Wii game and recent 3DS game made by what people deemed as Nintendos hope for something special in retros donkey kong. And a 10 year old gamecube Zelda game. No one will buy a wii u for this, when Nintendo needed to show EXACTLY why people should buy wi us!

They're done for this year. An absolute abomination.

Been having major trouble streaming anything from the hotel in Tokyo but sounds like it wad a waste of time. What the fuck is going on honestly? How long can Nintendo take over making the fucking stuff again and taking 3 years to do it?

It's not the fact that there's no new ip, it's the fact that they're spending time making 5 times recycled games that nobody has much interest in anymore.

Frankly with a showing as it's sounds, it's like they don't even want to be in the industry anymore.

Didn't see but Mike1988uk text me it all. Just got out the meeting.

I just hoped he'd been drinking and his mind wasn't really with him and he had missed a lot of amazing announcements out of his text.

I was wrong... :weep:

Will watch back later and give my full thoughts then. But to be honest, if Nintendo hope to push this system with these games then I think they are really going to struggle. They just about managed to get the 3ds back on track but it took an absolute haul of great games at a steady stream to do so and unfortunately it doesn't seem that they have that for the Wii U.

If anything I think it has shown that the console was released earlier than it was ready to be.

The thing that pissed me off the most is that Nintendo have so many great franchises:

Wii Sports

Metroid

Kid Icarus

StarFox

F-Zero

Battalion Wars/Advance Wars

Fire Emblem

Pokemon

To name but a few...

And instead of them being there in new shiny HD format - they're not. Instead Retro are wasted on re-hashing DKCR and there's not one of the above being shown.

Yeah, Mario, Mario Kart, X, Smash Bros and Zelda looked amazing. But where were the surprises? Where were the new franchises or the games developed with other studios? Missed opportunity. I can see why they didn't do a conference - they simply didn't have the fire power.

Surprised people are so underwhelmed, the danger of being over-hyped I suppose.

Wind Waker - thank f*** they didn't ruin the visuals, looked stunning

Mario Kart 8 - awesome

Mario 3D World - clever title, bit underwhelmed, expected a Galaxy type 'wow' game

Donkey Kong, Wonderful 101 and Smash Bros all looked great.

Wind Waker is an old game we've all played. Mario will be good, but the multiplayer looks awful and it isn't what people expect/want from a 3D mario masterpiece, it looks a rush job sequel to 3D Land. Mario Kart does look amazing but isn't out til next year. Donkey looks great but not what people want from Retro.

The games look stale, they're all old games reborn, DKCR was great because we hadn't had one in so long, this is just another version, nothing new. Mario 3D is a sequel to a 3DS game. We knew about W101. Smash looks like Smash. Absolutely nothing new to get excited about for me. X is probably it, but it's not exactly my type of game.

I think Nintendo are going to be in huge trouble for the rest of the year!

The thing that pissed me off the most is that Nintendo have so many great franchises:

Wii Sports

Metroid

Kid Icarus

StarFox

F-Zero

Battalion Wars/Advance Wars

Fire Emblem

Pokemon

To name but a few...

And instead of them being there in new shiny HD format - they're not. Instead Retro are wasted on re-hashing DKCR and there's not one of the above being shown.

Yeah, Mario, Mario Kart, X, Smash Bros and Zelda looked amazing. But where were the surprises? Where were the new franchises or the games developed with other studios? Missed opportunity. I can see why they didn't do a conference - they simply didn't have the fire power.

Exactly!!! Where were the surprises!!? Where were the announcements to get people excited in the console?