N-Europe

Sonic Lost World (Wii U/3DS)

D_prOdigy

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see why it's getting these scores. I'm personally loving it as I'm trying to get all the red coins and with no guides out in the wild yet it's making things last a lot longer. However, if you don't care about these things and just play through the story then you will be finished it within 5 or so hours. There's loads if people on Miiverse finished it already.

Wow! Reviews are all over the map! Considering its unusual play style, it's abandonment of the BOOST TO SPEEEEEEEEEEEDDD AND WIIIINNNN formula of the last 3 games (lol @ the IGN review, what a joke) and the Nintendo exclusivity (yes that will no doubt be significant factor amongst reviews on multiplatform sites, conscious or otherwise), I guess in hindsight it shouldn't be a surprise really :blank:

Anyway, I already have my Wii U copy; so if you're looking for unbiased and impartial impressions, you'll get them later on ;)

Wow... it seems like just about every other games site has forgotten how to review games, let alone a fantastic Sonic title. :blank:

I actually seriously question whether or not many of them actually played the game properly or at all instead just choosing to focus on all the other games that are releasing in this rather full schedule. :hmm:

Even at its 'low' points of which there aren't many I would say the quality never really dips that much at all, I honestly stand by my score of 9 and will defend it to the death as a Sonic fan, I would advise people not to listen to the majority of the reviewers who it seems just couldn't be bothered to do their jobs properly and just read the N-E reviews of the game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to play the dlc Nightmare level. :D

Wow... it seems like just about every other games site has forgotten how to review games, let alone a fantastic Sonic title. :blank:

I actually seriously question whether or not many of them actually played the game properly or at all instead just choosing to focus on all the other games that are releasing in this rather full schedule. :hmm:

Even at its 'low' points of which there aren't many I would say the quality never really dips that much at all, I honestly stand by my score of 9 and will defend it to the death as a Sonic fan, I would advise people not to listen to the majority of the reviewers who it seems just couldn't be bothered to do their jobs properly and just read the N-E reviews of the game.

Haven't read them yet but for some reason I do feel they haven't played it properly. Most of the fan feedback I've seen has been positive.

So did you get the DLC with your review copy or did you have to open your retail copy?

*Goes to check Club Nintendo*

Honestly, reading you say that would make me pay less attention to the NE review. Most reviewers will happily recommend readers go look at a good cross section of reviews and to say that people should just ignore the majority of reviews and just read your higher scoring one is ridiculous.

Haven't read them yet but for some reason I do feel they haven't played it properly. Most of the fan feedback I've seen has been positive.

So did you get the DLC with your review copy or did you have to open your retail copy?

*Goes to check Club Nintendo*

Precisely, I think the important factor here is perhaps that on these larger sites there's money involved... here at N-E we're proud to be independent, yes I know we do get money from ads which goes into keeping the site running but that's about it as far as I know, so ultimately there's nothing 'influencing' our reviews; but I'm not so sure about certain other sites. ;)

Anyway, yes I got my dlc for my review copy :D so @Mokong X\-C if you want to buy my sealed copy of Sonic Lost World then you have first refusal before I put it up on eBay so PM me if you still want it. :)

Honestly, reading you say that would make me pay less attention to the NE review. Most reviewers will happily recommend readers go look at a good cross section of reviews and to say that people should just ignore the majority of reviews and just read your higher scoring one is ridiculous.

Oh by all means, read them if you like... I have and I don't feel that they are representative of the same game that I actually spend a significant amount of time playing and reviewing; the difference is that I really don't think that a lot of them actually played the whole game through and just based their reviews on a couple of 'quick goes' on it.

Naturally I have no proof but it's not just me that has noticed this so I don't know what to say. :hmm:

its seems the underlying thing in the more negative reviews like IGN's is that its not like other sonic games......yet everyones hated most of the recent sonic games so why complain its different

The fact they complain sonic seems slower makes me laugh since every other sonic game they've bemoaned the speed as it highlights inaccurate controls at high speed....

Interesting reads but i get the feeling its more of "i just don't like the new direction on principle so looked for the negatives to focus on" sort of thing

61 on Metacritic, think I'll pass. Trailers and playing the game at Eurogamer did nothing for me.

Agree with this, the original post could have been phrased better I think.

I am really confused with those scores, the game is great certainly no lower than a 8/10

Maybe sony or ms paid money to score this wii u exclusive low , that's the only explanation I can think of unless they were playing the wrong game . Certainly not 4/10 like some of those sites suggest .

Edited by yesteryeargames

I am really confused with those scores, the game is great certainly no lower than a 8/10

Maybe sonic or ms paid money to score this wii u exclusive low , that's the only explanation I can think of unless they were playing the wrong game . Certainly not 4/10 like some of those sites suggest .

.......wow

That's still a silly idea. It's more like people have different idea of what they want for Sonic, and the controls click for some people while others can't handle them. From some of the stuff in the IGN review, I think they may have missed the run button.

Having played only the first world I can see where the frustration element is coming from in reviews such as EDGE and Eurogamer. As someone who is similarly used to the Galaxy games and not having played a Sonic game since the Megadrive days, I have found I am dying/getting the game over screen a lot.

The game definitely suffers from just throwing you in without a tutorial - I only realised about the quick run button during the third level.

4 sounds like an overreaction though. :-)

I played this at the Play Expo, I thought it was actually really good.

Let's get the bad bit out of the way, it's was no Mario Galaxy, despite looking like it wanted to be Sonic's attempt at a Galaxy game. However I did find it fun, responsive and fast enough. After playing Sonic and the Secret rings, and briefly trying Colours, I thought this was definitely better than Secret Rings.

I'm really surprised at the low scores from Eurogamer and Edge which seem to score the game so low it suggests it borders on being unplayable and broken.

Now as I only played the demo, the full game may be much worse and the best stuff was simply cherry picked for the demo.

I'll be waiting for the game to go down in price for sure, I haven't been this underwhelmed for a release of a Sonic game in years and sadly these reviews seem to back up my worries :(

Saying that though, I would trust SCGs opinion! So I'm gonna keep the faith and take his word on it!

So I'm up to the halfway point of the 2nd world...

Loving it so far! :D Already had more fun with this than any Sonic game since the MD days!

That being said... I do have some issues with it, particularily when it comes to training the player how to use certain moves and master the controls...

The main problem is that the game doesn't do a great job of teaching the player Sonic's moveset and doesn't give them a chance to get used to the mechanics being taught to them before thrusting a challenge upon them. There are hint bubbles throught that do teach you some moves, but they've VERY easy to miss - you can only view them by tapping a ? icon on the Gamepad's screen at certain times and the TV icon that indicates a tutorial message being available on the Gamepad is easy to miss and its purpose is never really explained to the player. I reckon that this might be a big part of the reason why a lot of reviewers have complained about the controls as a lot of Sonic's moves are only explained through these messages and are not necessarily obvious at first glance (like the ability to power up your spindash by repeatedly hitting B, rather than ZL as you might first expect - it's also a lot faster than the uncharged up spin dash, certainly NOT lacking in speed; and the kick move, which you need to kill certain enemies).

Also, seemingly all of the wisp powers can be controlled with the buttons and sticks, despite the game never telling you that you can. The instructions that come up only list touch or motion controls, but all the ones I've seen so far allow for traditional controls too. Another tidbit that isn't explained that can be easily missed...

As for the level design, it definitely takes a page out of Mario Galaxy's book - with it subscribing to the school of "unique gimmick in each level" of level design. It's fun, there's some really interesting ideas explored and really good so far - there's also a lot of potential for speed runs too (especially if you can master the parkour system, which I still haven't quite gotten the hang of yet).

The controls aren't immediately intuitive, there's a pretty steep learning curve, but you get the hang of it fairly quickly if you pay attention to what you're doing. So far so good! Good fun :D

Edited by Dcubed