3D Classics Sonic the Hedgehog

Dcubed

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/sonic/

More info from google translate:

- Spin dash can toggle on/off

- Can save anywhere

- Stage select

- Fully customizable controls

- Includes both Japanese and US versions like in Sonic Mega Collection (the JPN version has slightly different effects for certain levels)

- 2 screen modes: normal and CRT mode

- 3D options to emphasize depth or pop-out effects a la Mario 3D Land

- Adjustable sound balance

img_ss13.jpg

Nice to see that it's not just the early SEGA games that are getting the 3D Classics treatment! :D (NOW HURRY UP AND RELEASE THESE IN THE WEST SEGA!!!)

Edited by Grazza

Let's face it, we've all been hoping for the Sonics since Sega joined the 3D Classics party. Brilliant, brilliant news! :bouncy:

Yeah, but I wanted Sonic 3 & Knuckles the most :( The bonus stages in 2 & 3 would've been HAMAZING in 3D! :o

I hope they still do them at some point... but I wouldn't want them to all be done straight away, clogging up the schedule. Let us get the likes of Outrun, Ristar and Gunstar Heroes in 3D first!

As if May wasn't packed enough already. Can never have too many versions of Sonic 1!

Yeah, but I wanted Sonic 3 & Knuckles the most :( The bonus stages in 2 & 3 would've been HAMAZING in 3D! :o

Sonic 3 & Knuckles already had the layered background thing going on as well, how good would stages like Angel island, Sky Sanctuary and Lava Reef look in 3D!?

Its funny - no matter how many times I have played this game, no matter how many consoles I have played this game on, and no matter how many different compilation games I've bought with this game on... I am still stupidly excited for this!

Absolute classic!

As long as they don't screw this up like they did the GBA game, I'm excited :grin:

Fear not, M2 (Sonic Mega Collection, SEGA AGES, SEGA Virtual Console games, Capcom Arcade Cabinet) is at the helm here. Nothing to worry about :D

Probably the game I've played most of during my childhood, completed too many times than is deemed healthy, bought on nearly every single worthwhile compilation/arcade release since and can speed-run in no time at all.

Will I be buying it again to play it in 3D?

I'd be mad not to. ;)

2bethisgoodtakesAGES!

A little bit off-topic, perhaps, but it's interesting that everything Sega has brought to 3D Classics so far has been from a different arcade board/console. My favourite Sega arcade board (and the one I'd most like to see on 3DS) is System 32.

This site sums it up:

Unlike other Sega arcade hardware from this period, few System 32 games have ever been ported to home consoles. A re-imagining of Air Rescue hit European Sega Master Systems in 1992 (which although shares the same name, is almost completely different in design to the arcade version), OutRunners saw a vastly reduced port to the Sega Mega Drive by Data East and Rad Mobile was heavily tweaked and turned into Gale Racer for the Sega Saturn. Everything else seems to have been deemed "too good" for the Mega Drive and "not good enough" for the Saturn.

http://segaretro.org/Sega_System_32

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_arcade_games

The resolution was 320x224, so absolutely perfect for the 800x240 3DS. It was basically Sega's best and last 2D system, before they moved to polygons. I always wanted the games on my Saturn, but it didn't happen.

So yeah, sorry if this was off-topic, but I definitely think there's an "ideal range" of hardware/boards for Sega 3D Classics, and a huge amount of potential.

Initial Impressions:

Forced myself up to buy this at the time the Japanese eShop is supposed to update but the option to buy this particular game appeared a little late. All I've done is just cycle through options and see what's noticeable during the first zone, checking the 3D appearance etc etc

All I can say so far is, it's definitely cheap enough for people to consider, but considering the amount of effort and customisation that went into other titles, it kind of feels that maybe this should have been 100 or 200 yen cheaper. It's a pretty natural viewpoint IMO considering that the last 2 were arcade ports (Well, the Super Hang-On looks like the arcade version, haven't bought it yet) and this one is a Megadrive port which is very different in its capabilities. The 3D is good, but the lack of layers in the original Sonic makes it look very weak. I really hope they justify the choice of doing Sonic 1 by making all the originals in 3D, as the later games will definitely look fantastic.

In the non-classic display mode (basically, not in the bulged, rounded CRT style), the graphics are pretty crisp. It doesn't look like the picture has been squashed/stretched at all, despite the differences in the original rendering resolution and the resolution of the top 3DS screen.

'Special' mode allows you to level select straight from the beginning, but no matter what mode you play in the spin dash will be enabled by default. I think the spindash enabled Sonic is actually the Sonic 2 sprite, but I'll confirm this later.

TL;DR: Good effort, maybe should be a little cheaper, but it's cheap enough.

Initial Impressions:

In the non-classic display mode (basically, not in the bulged, rounded CRT style), the graphics are pretty crisp. It doesn't look like the picture has been squashed/stretched at all, despite the differences in the original rendering resolution and the resolution of the top 3DS screen.

That's because it hasn't been. Both of the 3DS' screens have the exact same vertical resolution as what the Mega Drive could output (240p) so it's a perfect 1-1 match.

Downloaded it as soon as I got home. 3D is pretty subtle but looks nice, works as expected. However I have noticed some sprite flicker, seems like one layer of sprites totally disappears for a split second. Otherwise it's Sonic 1.

Interesting how they call the level select option DLC.

I think the spindash enabled Sonic is actually the Sonic 2 sprite, but I'll confirm this later.

Pretty sure it is. They've used the Sonic 2 for the spin dash sprite since Sonic Jam.

TL;DR: Good effort, maybe should be a little cheaper, but it's cheap enough.

600yen converts to £3.85 according to Google which is pretty reasonable I think.

However I have noticed some sprite flicker, seems like one layer of sprites totally disappears for a split second. Otherwise it's Sonic 1.

Where are you noticing this? Most of the the sprite flicker I see was in the original game, like the very noticeable block flicker you can see in Marble Garden zone in the lava areas.

Interesting how they call the level select option DLC.

They do? Where is this? Any mention I see of it in the menu before the game is the 'Special' option.

600yen converts to £3.85 according to Google which is pretty reasonable I think.

To be honest, I'm kind of basing my opinion of the price on the other Sega 3D games. 600 yen for Space Harrier in my mind is an absolute steal considering how it looks, plays and the customisation available to you. While Sonic the Hedgehog leaves me with no strong views one way or the other, which isn't a bad thing. Heck, if this pushes them to do the next 3 Sonic games in 3D, then I'm more in the happy camp than neutral camp.

Continuing on, during my spin dash enabled play through I found a very amusing little problem. If you recall the beginning Labyrinth Zone Act 3, you are sliding down a water slide and you have to jump to get over to the platform to continue on with the level. Spin Dash enabled Sonic has a different set of physics compared to his non-spin dash form in the original Sonic game, so when you attempt to jump to the platform you will quickly find you can not get any where close to reaching either one of the two areas open to you. I found that you must hold down while jumping to make it to the other side, which will make you spindash whilst sliding down the water slide.

Amusing little physics incompatibilities .

Where are you noticing this? Most of the the sprite flicker I see was in the original game, like the very noticeable block flicker you can see in Marble Garden zone in the lava areas.

In the special zones, stuff like the gems around the Chaos Emerald will disappear, also in Marble Garden Zone the entire platform I was on did the same (not on a lava block).

They do? Where is this? Any mention I see of it in the menu before the game is the 'Special' option.

In the credits from the main menu. I read elsewhere they were referring to the ability to use the level select without the cheat. Can't remember what the actually referred to it as, DLC Edition maybe I'll check later unless you do before me.

Unless they are actually planning DLC (playable Tails & knuckles? Adding Sonic 2/3/3&K)?

Talking about physics, I did a spin dash from on top of a slope before the boss in Green Hill and I flew straight up from a flat surface!

Edited by Ike

• 1 month later...

Thread bump - but is there any news on this being released? I don't know why but I had it in my head it released a few weeks back, then when I checked the eShop it was game gear games... :blank: ... :weep:

Really fancied playing through this recently too which is strange!