NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

MR. DRILLER 2, Rating: G, Author: NAMCO, Publisher: NINTENDO CO., LTD

KLONOA: EMPIRE OF DREAMS, Rating: G, Author: NAMCO, Publisher: NINTENDO CO., LTD.

Nice to see that Namco are jumping in with the GBA VC on Wii U. Their NES/SNES/GB/GBC VC output so far has been really lacking so this comes as a pleasant surprise :) (plus I just happened to be looking at buying the original Mr Driller games recently, so this seems like perfect timing for me!)

Edited by Dcubed

If Namco are actually on board for GBA VC releases for Wii U then they surely have to release Tales of Phantasia as this would be a perfect fit especially considering it was originally a SNES game. :)

I own the physical GBA cart plus a GBA player/Hori GC pad so I can play it already when I like but it would be nice for everyone to be able to enjoy it without such a large investment in extra hardware. : peace:

If Namco are actually on board for GBA VC releases for Wii U then they surely have to release Tales of Phantasia as this would be a perfect fit especially considering it was originally a SNES game. :)

I own the physical GBA cart plus a GBA player/Hori GC pad so I can play it already when I like but it would be nice for everyone to be able to enjoy it without such a large investment in extra hardware. : peace:

It's a shame that the GBA version is arguably the worst version out there :( (fighting for last place along with the iOS version, the only other one available in English :( )

I'd love to see them go back and localise the original SNES version or the PS1 version... sigh...

Interesting, I'll probably buy My Driller.

It's a shame that the GBA version is arguably the worst version out there :(

Why, what's wrong with it? I think I picked up the GBA cart when I was in the US a couple of years ago but I've not gotten round to playing it. I remember the voice acting is hilariously bad.

Interesting, I'll probably buy My Driller.

Why, what's wrong with it? I think I picked up the GBA cart when I was in the US a couple of years ago but I've not gotten round to playing it. I remember the voice acting is hilariously bad.

Worst music quality and the battle system runs slow for some strange reason (there may be other things wrong as well, but I don't remember right now).

Either way, I still really enjoyed my time with the game anyway and it's the only real English version anyway (the recently released iOS version is total garbage - it might be based on the superior PSP version, but they made it F2P and utterly gutted the game).

Also for some reason the EU version of TOP GBA has really washed out colours, while the US version (the one that I own - funnily enough I just happened to be in the US and picked it up while I was there, just like you) uses the original SNES version's colour pallette and looks much better as a result :confused:

Also, the GBA version has a very sloppily done translation ("Seals" [Ninja Techniques] such as "Fire Seal" are translated to "Steels". The apocalypse "Ragnarok" is translated as "Kangaroo", if you can believe that. Rumour has it this was because they let Microsoft Word spellcheck the script.)

I'm also personally not a fan of translating Klarth's name as "Claus". It gets incredibly confusing, when next to Cress and Chester. They shoulda called him "Klaus", at least.

And I can attest to this: the SNES version's battle system is very outdated and hard to get into... but the GBA version somehow manages to make this slower, and overall even worse to control.

There's also the bad voice acting, bad music quality, washed up colours, the graphics are mostly based on the SNES version (instead of the PS1 version)... basically, the only thing that the GBA version has going for it is that the attack names are consistent with other English releases (Cless's first technique is still called Demon Fang, for example). Otherwise, it's a terrible port all around.

The apocalypse "Ragnarok" is translated as "Kangaroo", if you can believe that. Rumour has it this was because they let Microsoft Word spellcheck the script.)

What do you know, Word does suggest to correct Ragnarok to Kangaroo. Although it's the second suggestion on mine. Kinda want to play it to just to see that.

I remember there were some differences between the US and PAL versions, all I remembered was some text/font changes (think they changed it to allow longer strings) and the voice sound quality were slightly better quality in the PAL version. Didn't know it was that bad, might still give it a go. Someday.

That's not real. It's a mock-up!

I didn't notice before I posted. I deleted my post after I realised because I thought no one saw it. :p

I know Mario Pinball Land got crap reviews, but I'm a sucker for Nintendo Pinball games. Really liked Kirby and Pokemon Pinball. :p

I know Mario Pinball Land got crap reviews, but I'm a sucker for Nintendo Pinball games. Really liked Kirby and Pokemon Pinball. :p

I have the game and it really is terrible. The physics are just mad, and the way that the game is set up (sort of similar to Kirby's Pinball Land) combined with the dodgy physics just makes for an utterly infuriating game!

It's crazy to believe that the same team then went on to make Metroid Prime Pinball, which is infinity billion times better! :o (They literally went from making one of the worst console/handheld pinball games ever, straight onto making one of the very best console/handheld pinball games ever in one fell swoop!)

Edited by Dcubed

It's crazy to believe that the same team then went on to make Metroid Prime Pinball, which is infinity billion times better! :o (They literally went from making one of the worst console/handheld pinball games ever, straight onto making one of the very best console/handheld pinball games ever in one fell swoop!)

Yep, I loved Metroid Prime Pinball! For all the acclaim Zen Pinball gets (and that's fair enough - I've got both Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball on the 3DS), I actually got a lot more out of the Metroid-themed game.

It's not just the licence (although that helps) - it's the perspective, the boss battles/normal battles and the fact it's vertical over two screens. A great game!

Yep, I loved Metroid Prime Pinball! For all the acclaim Zen Pinball gets (and that's fair enough - I've got both Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball on the 3DS), I actually got a lot more out of the Metroid-themed game.

It's not just the licence (although that helps) - it's the perspective, the boss battles/normal battles and the fact it's vertical over two screens. A great game!

If you like Metroid Prime Pinball, you should check out Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon on the DSiWare store/3DS eShop. It's made by the same team (Fuse Games/Silverball Studios) and uses the same engine. It's brilliant! (And features the voice of Brian Blessed too - now you have to try it ;) )

Great news around, but the £5 off isn't great considering thew eshop price minus £5 will STILL be more expensive than getting a download code from Game.

Well happy with this news. This is exactly what Nintendo should be doing with their VC. Releasing titles like this to hype up an up and coming game, rather than releasing it afterwards.

I can't wait to play this on the GamePad. Using the save anywhere feature the cheating AI will finally get what it deserves. :D

Strange they chose the NTSC version for Super Mario Kart. It's one of the few games which had a properly optimised PAL version.

A sign Nintendo is giving in to all the 60Hz protests?

Strange they chose the NTSC version for Super Mario Kart. It's one of the few games which had a properly optimised PAL version.

A sign Nintendo is giving in to all the 60Hz protests?

Nah, it just happens to have no FIGS localisation, so there's no point in releasing the PAL version. Just their typical standard MO.

HOLY TECHNOS! 2 VC games this week for Wii U!?

Double Dragon

Super Dodge Ball

And they're even games that I actually want and don't already own in some other form :o What parallel dimension did I fall into this morning!?

Not bad! Can we have more weeks like this NOE? Pretty please!

Two Technos games, yeah that's a pretty good week alright! Grew up with Double Dragon, Nintendo World Cup and River City Ransom, gotta love the face-smashing but also the awesome music...