NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

Dr Mario NES is our VC game for next week

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/NES/Dr-Mario-851413.html

This is actually a pretty significant release here since it's the first time that the original NES version of Dr Mario has EVER been re-released, other than as part of the Classic NES series for GBA (it never came to the Wii or 3DS VC service in any region and it wasn't included in Animal Crossing GCN or the eCard NES series).

Even if you're not interested in getting the game, it's actually a pretty momentous event :D

We're also getting it before the US and Japan.

This is becoming a common occurrence. Happened with A Link to the Past, too.

It's still utterly painful though isn't it? 2 NES games in the past 3 weeks of virtual console. That is just awful. I would really love Nintendo to be interrogated and to explain their VC strategy, as it is just so pitiful.

Isn't that game an absolute joke of an update given that Nintendo just released Dr. Luigi!

Pretty much what I was thinking. Although maybe they are hoping people will buy this game, then think "I'd love to be able to play this online" So it's almost a demo of sorts

Should have read:

Dr Mario NES is one of our three VC games for next week
Wishful thinking, of course.

Oh neat! Nintendo are doing a special offer this week where you get Dr Mario VC for free if you already own Dr Luigi :D

Oh neat! Nintendo are doing a special offer this week where you get Dr Mario VC for free if you already own Dr Luigi :D

Dr Luigi is overpriced for what it is and seeing as Dr Mario is essentially the same game but stripped down they do right to give it away.

Strangely no explanation last night as to the lack of updates lately!

I think we were all expecting something to boost the VC!

Though they have confirmed 11 GBA games in April. If only all the virtual consoles had such good releases...

That's true, I'd forgotten about those already :p

Btw, if emulations are so difficult, how did Nintendo turn round those GBA games for the 3DS Ambassador Programme so quick?

Btw, if emulations are so difficult, how did Nintendo turn round those GBA games for the 3DS Ambassador Programme so quick?

because its not as difficult as they make out...they just probably have a team of single figures producing VC games::shrug:

Ice Hockey? Decent, even if it's not what everyone here is waiting for and that one game per week is still pathetic...

Because those games aren't running under emulation. They're just running natively under the 3DS' BC "DS Mode" (just like if you ran a GBA game in the DS/DS Lite's 2nd cartridge slot).

Ice Hockey? Decent, even if it's not what everyone here is waiting for and that one game per week is still pathetic...

Every week I await your Monday morning post and just about every week i'm disappointed. :(

Every week I await your Monday morning post and just about every week i'm disappointed. :(

Obviously the solution is for me to stop posting ;)

Obviously the solution is for me to stop posting ;)

The solution is to give you a job at nintendo scheduling VC games......and then we bribe you to get loads out

I'm starting believing Nintendo is run by... No, wait, it isn't 'run' anymore, it is rolled. Let's exaggerate a little; Nintendo is rolled, pushed in a wheelchair, and the person pushing it dropped it down a hill.

I love Nintendo, I have for over twenty years. That is why it hurts a little, that it seems they're losing touch with its fans and the market.

To compare, just as an example: I don't love Microsoft remotely the same way. So seeing Microsoft losing touch with me as a gamer and Xbox 360 owner with Xbox One, doesn't make me sad at all.

Could it be the investors holding them back? To get back on track, Nintendo would have to spend big money to hire outside developers to ease the problems with rising drain on manpower to keep supporting two platforms with a steady flow of games. I'm thinking that maybe the management is not allowed to use the vast funds Nintendo has, to correct this, because the long-term gain in using this strategi, is just 'too long-term' for its investors?

I think just a little bit of time. I think Nintendo realise what's going on, but don't have an immediate fix. If come E3 and the rest of the year they still don't have the answers then I guess they're fucked. I have confidence though.

I'm starting believing Nintendo is run by... No, wait, it isn't 'run' anymore, it is rolled. Let's exaggerate a little; Nintendo is rolled, pushed in a wheelchair, and the person pushing it dropped it down a hill.

I love Nintendo, I have for over twenty years. That is why it hurts a little, that it seems they're losing touch with its fans and the market.

To compare, just as an example: I don't love Microsoft remotely the same way. So seeing Microsoft losing touch with me as a gamer and Xbox 360 owner with Xbox One, doesn't make me sad at all.

Could it be the investors holding them back? To get back on track, Nintendo would have to spend big money to hire outside developers to ease the problems with rising drain on manpower to keep supporting two platforms with a steady flow of games. I'm thinking that maybe the management is not allowed to use the vast funds Nintendo has, to correct this, because the long-term gain in using this strategi, is just 'too long-term' for its investors?

They made a fortune with the DS and wii and investors were paid handsomely in dividends. Still they had more than enough to purchase studios and no investor would of questioned such decisions as Nintendo were banking so much money at that time.

Edited by liger05

I really don't understand the trouble with emulation, so perhaps someone with more knowledge of this stuff could shed light on the situation...

I hacked my Wii and SNES 9x worked fine, with every game I played. In fact, better than the VC games, as it had options to blur games so they looked how they would on an SD TV, widescreen, save-states. Why could Nintendo not create an Emulator of sorts which works for all SNES games making VC releases easy and painless?

I'm not being sarcy btw, a genuine question as I know nothing about programming etc :p

Yeah, I wonder what's going on with the Wii U VC as well. The 3DS one is getting bombarded with awesome releases like Ninja Gaiden, but the Wii U one is updating so damn slowly and mostly with just Nintendo games. Either they have some serious problems with the emulation or maybe the 3rd parties just aren't interested in the Wii U VC either? Seems really weird...

Honestly surprised SEGA haven't jumped in, unless they are making their own superior emulator again. Or some sort of eShop upgrade like the 3D updates in someway.

I guess we know nothing about sales of VC games, for all we know, they could sell really poorly and it might just not be worth their time.