NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

Advance Wars has been confirmed for the UK eShop on April 3rd

Outstanding! I just asked for this in the Wii U thread. :D

Hoping they announce more, Japan is getting 4 (or 5 since they are getting the AW1&2 release) games next week. Although their next game isn't until the end of the month so if they get spread our releases out it's fine.

Edit: Actually, they seem to be getting more games than I thought.

Edited by Ike

Just to clarify since this is bound to come up.

Many early GBA games had their colours intentionally brightened considerably to compensate for the lack of light on the original GBA screen. As such, many GBA games, including Advance Wars, appear to have the colours subdued again as if it's what was intended.

Not all games are like this. The screenshots from Mario & Luigi and Advance Wars are like this. The ones from Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion are not.

Hoping they announce more, Japan is getting 4 (or 5 since they are getting the AW1&2 release) games next week. Although their next game isn't until the end of the month so if they get spread our releases out it's fine.

There will be more. They're just going to tease us with them between now and then :)

Thought the screenshot looked dark.

There will be more. They're just going to tease us with them between now and then :)

Good good. Safe to say we should get the same line up? Feel a bit unsure about us getting Golden Sun for some reason but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Just to clarify since this is bound to come up.

Many early GBA games had their colours intentionally brightened considerably to compensate for the lack of light on the original GBA screen. As such, many GBA games, including Advance Wars, appear to have the colours subdued again as if it's what was intended.

Not all games are like this. The screenshots from Mario & Luigi and Advance Wars are like this. The ones from Yoshi's Island and Metroid Fusion are not.

So these "fixed" games will look dark when we play them on the Wii U?

So these "fixed" games will look dark when we play them on the Wii U?

Darker than the ROMs you can get illegally, yeah. However, the experience will be "true" to the GBA at the time of the game's launch. When the ones released after the SP (or with the SP in mind) come, they'll look normal.

So if you're used to playing it on the SP, you'll need to increase the brightness on your TV?

Darker than the ROMs you can get illegally, yeah. However, the experience will be "true" to the GBA at the time of the game's launch. When the ones released after the SP (or with the SP in mind) come, they'll look normal.

Well that's a kick in the nuts. Wonder why the didn't optimise them?

Great news, hopefully we'll see a steady stream of GBA games from now (ha!), NES Remix 2 in a couple of weeks, plus April is when the indies start to drop... Excellent. Then I bugger off to the cannes festival for May and come back ready for Mari Kart!!! Awesome!

So if you're used to playing it on the SP, you'll need to increase the brightness on your TV?

For these games, yes.

What do you mean?

From what Serebii is saying, they optimised them to purposely make them look darker.

From what Serebii is saying, they optimised them to purposely make them look darker.

They made them darker on purpose? I'm confused....it's clearly been a long day.

Well one thing is for certain, no matter how 'artificially' dark the colour scheme may be it will still be a darn site easier to see the games on a TV than it ever was on an original GBA screen. :p

Reminder of 1080 screenshot of Metroid Fusion in Wii U emulation to show how it is to be without the filter, and Mario & Luigi which has it

iHjCIzSDJnTqY.jpg

ibpSruJlTyVB2s.jpg

They made them darker on purpose? I'm confused....it's clearly been a long day.

Yeah. Originally, the developers had the colours overly bright so that the games could be seen well on the GBA screen which lacked a light. As such, in order to not burn our retinas, and because Nintendo have an asinine idea of having everything "as it was at launch", which is why we had the crappy 50hz Wii U VC games for a while, they have subdued the colours with a filter on a few of these games in order to provide this effect.

Serebii is right here. The GBA games on the Wii U VC have a filter that dulls the colour pallete. It's there because the games were originally designed for a display that originally looked very dark (which is why most GBA games use very bright colour palletes and why most GBA-SNES ports look overly bright in comparison to their original counterparts; they were all designed that way to improve their visibility on that original GBA display).

SNES games on the Wii U VC also employ a similar filter, because the original SNES console put out a dull looking picture; which is why the VC games look a bit dull in comparison to a typical PC emulator screenshot.

You have to accommodate these original hardware quirks and flaws if you want a properly accurate emulation of these games...

Oh and Advance Wars is a hell of a choice for day 1! :D Miiverse custom map sharing is gonna be AWESOME!!! :D

Though I do hope that they've got more than just the one game lined up for next week...

For multiplayer GBA games such as Mario Kart and F-Zero, would it be feasible for them to run 4 emulations on the same TV screen, split screen style?

/wishful thinking.

For multiplayer GBA games such as Mario Kart and F-Zero, would it be feasible for them to run 4 emulations on the same TV screen, split screen style?

/wishful thinking.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. Like hell Nintendo would do something that awesome :p

Will be interesting to see how they handle multiplayer, just bin it off all together? Dual gamepad play? One on the tele?

GBA VC isn't a huge deal for me as many of the games are SNES remakes and those that aren't tend to be RPG's/turn based which would be better suited to my 3DS and not my gamepad :( That said, I would definitely purchase Metroid: Zero Mission and the Castlevania games if they appear!

Stands to reason we'll get Advance Wars 2 before too long. Japan's getting both Advance Wars 1 & 2 on April 2nd. However, that is because they only got it in one package.

So, how would you guys rate Advance Wars 1 & 2 then? I've only played Dual Strike which was awesome (and the whatever we so cool and edgy and brown sequel), so I'm just wondering if the games are worth playing after that...

So, how would you guys rate Advance Wars 1 & 2 then? I've only played Dual Strike which was awesome (and the whatever we so cool and edgy and brown sequel), so I'm just wondering if the games are worth playing after that...

Oh yes, well worth playing in their own right. All the COs have very different stats in each game and all the units are balanced differently; making each AW game a very different experience from the last, even if they look very similar on the surface.

In particular, Max is a goddamn beast in the original AW. His direct hitting troops get a massive 150% attack boost!!! :o

I highly recommend the GBA ones. I actually prefer these over the DS versions. I just found them more light hearted and fun. I actually can't wait to play the original again.

Cool. I liked DS quite a lot, so I'm willing to give the GBA ones a try too. Just wonder what the pricing is gonna be, same with the NDS titles...

Cool. I liked DS quite a lot, so I'm willing to give the GBA ones a try too. Just wonder what the pricing is gonna be, same with the NDS titles...

I'd say AW2 is better than the first one and the DS one. When it comes to War Room and VS maps, it has everything the first one has and then some (only the campaign is different). Compared to the DS one, there aren't any Tag powers or the incredibly broken Stealth planes (though it also lacks Megatanks, Dark bombs and those other interesting units added with that game).

The original AW has a multi-path campaign (pro: versatile choices ; con: you have to play a few times to see every interesting mission, and unlock every character), but other than that, the only things it has over AW2 is the catchy

and the characters' multiple facial expressions