NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

Rubber-banding on the original Mario Kart? Are you guys pissed? I used to remember lapping racers on that game as a kid. I found SNES Mario Kart to be the only game without rubber-banding. N64 Mario Kart, now that was a different story!

I would say the same to you. You can actually see it happening. All you need to do is knock your rival out and then keep an eye out on the map on the bottom. You will easily see your rival speed through the whole pack of other racers just to catch up to you. It's not as bad as say the N64 version but it's still very much there.

Rubber-banding on the original Mario Kart? Are you guys pissed? I used to remember lapping racers on that game as a kid. I found SNES Mario Kart to be the only game without rubber-banding. N64 Mario Kart, now that was a different story!

Most racers you can lap, but each character has two close rivals and they are rubberbanding, and they spam items like crazy.

Speaking of Castlevania... Aria of Sorrow just got OFLC rated!

Nice to see that Nintendo are wasting no time in getting the handheld CV games ready for release! (And they've even started with my favourite one! :D )

Nice to see some 3rd party love being prepared. You think we will see support from S-E with the Final Fantasy ports they made for the GBA and FF Tactics Advance? Man, I loved that game.

Nice to see some 3rd party love being prepared. You think we will see support from S-E with the Final Fantasy ports they made for the GBA and FF Tactics Advance? Man, I loved that game.

Probably, but not until years after Japan gets them knowing S-E :p

Probably, but not until years after Japan gets them knowing S-E :p

Indeed :( Japan get Secret of Mana on the Wii U VC early last year. We don't have it. It saddens me.

Only bad thing is the shitty graphics. MY EYES!!
notsureifserious.gif

Seriously, you know you're playing a 22 year old SNES game right? :blank:

I always thought (and still do, but I'm in love so ignore me :laughing:) that the graphics were stunning!

Super colourful. Big chunky sprites that animate, rotate and scale smoothly. Environments influenced by the Super Mario World art style. And to top it off it all runs at a blistering speed, without any hiccups! :awesome:

Hopefully we'll get Climax as well (don't see why we wouldn't. AFAIK there's almost no important Japanese text in that game anyway and it's not like we haven't gotten similarly import friendly games released on the VC before...)
Climax is a funny one actually, all of the menus in that game are in English and there's voice-over (even in-game commentary) also in English! :heh:

However, there is still a lot of Japanese text in the game too.

There are character profile pages for all 38 pilots. And there's a story line section as well, which features over 50 unlockable panels. They contain stills from the F-Zero anime, and have loads and loads of Japanese text!

Interestingly though, both of these text heavy parts of the game are tucked away in the option menu. ::shrug:

Anyway, F-Zero Climax isn't really anything special (like GP Legends) but it's definitely worth it for the track editor, which is awesome!!

*Hugs import copy*

:hug:

Anyway, F-Zero Climax isn't really anything special (like GP Legends) but it's definitely worth it for the track editor, which is awesome!!

*Hugs import copy*

:hug:

Yup, that's exactly why I'm interested in Climax. I'm sure there's some good fun to be had with that, even if the main game is pants ;)

Speaking of Castlevania... Aria of Sorrow just got OFLC rated!

Nice to see that Nintendo are wasting no time in getting the handheld CV games ready for release! (And they've even started with my favourite one! :D )

Ohhh shit. I loved the DS games..how does Aria of Sorrow compare? Is it metroidvania like or is it similar to the SCIV?

Ohhh shit. I loved the DS games..how does Aria of Sorrow compare? Is it metroidvania like or is it similar to the SCIV?

All of the GBA CVs are Metroidvanias. AOS is actually my personal favourite of the Metroidvania CV games :) (Dawn of Sorrow was a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow - hence the similar name - and uses the same Soul gameplay system)

AOS is fantastic and Circle of the Moon is brilliant too, but I'm not a fan of Harmony of Dishonance (by far the worst of the Metroidvania CV games IMO).

Definitely looking forward to the Castlevania games, the DS ones were brilliant.

One GBA game I always wanted but never managed to get my hands on was Double Dragon Advance. Oh man, I'd love to have that one. I'd also like the very first game I had for my original GBA - Final Fight Advance!

The main problem with F-Zero Climax is the control settings are all in Japanese, which you select before every race. All the boost and drift upgrades are such a pain to select without being able to read any of it. I found it very easy to accidentally reset my custom controls if I pressed a single wrong button too. :blank:

Most racers you can lap, but each character has two close rivals and they are rubberbanding, and they spam items like crazy.

Yeah, but that just kept things interesting and often you'd build up a fair bit of distance between yourself and your rival. In Mario Kart 64 you would get hit by a shell and the whole pack would zoom past you!

Boycott over GBA prices failed. Bought Super Mario Kart this afternoon.

I WISH I COULD QUIT YOU.

[edit]

Earthbound too. Augh.

Edited by Guy

I'm just getting advance wars. I want mario and luigi too but I'll wait for a drought in my gaming, a specific urge to play it or a sale!

Might cave and buy Advance Wars and Mario & Luigi just as an excuse to play them again. Fusion I still have the original cart (same with AW and M&L though, could just dig out the carts and play them on my Micro...) + the ambassador release so probably won't bother.

So, who's delving into the GBA games this week and if you are, what are you buying?

Metroid Fusion. Thanks to save states, my hatred of the save system is no longer an issue :p

Metroid Fusion. Thanks to save states, my hatred of the save system is no longer an issue :p

What's wrong with the save system? Metroid gives you plenty.

Advance Wars. Miiverse is gonna be fantastic for sharing custom maps! :D

How does this work exactly?

How does this work exactly?

Make custom map, take screenshot, post on Miiverse for people to copy.

Done :)

So, who's delving into the GBA games this week and if you are, what are you buying?

I was going to get a few of them but at over £5 I'm going to do the same as @dazzybee and wait for a drought or a sale.

The save system in Metroid is one of the things I like about the games :D

Though I believe Fusion was one of the few GBA games which had a 'standby' mode. It was either Fusion or Zero Mission.

I was going to get a few of them but at over £5 I'm going to do the same as @dazzybee and wait for a drought or a sale.

The save system in Metroid is one of the things I like about the games :D

Though I believe Fusion was one of the few GBA games which had a 'standby' mode. It was either Fusion or Zero Mission.

Zero Mission had it, but not Fusion.

It was only from 2003 onwards that you started seeing Sleep Mode in GBA games (I think that SMA3 was the first game to support it IIRC).

I really want Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun and Advance Wars! Can't wait :)

Also, those prices aren't as bad as some people are making out! It's less than the price of two drinks in a decent bar!

I really want Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun and Advance Wars! Can't wait :)

You'll be buying and playing these on the gamepad but you won't buy a 3DS to play all the great nintendo games you've missed out on.

Did you own a GBA back in the day?

It doesn't make any sense you not buying a 3DS.