NEurope
madeinbeats

Wii U VC

Japan's getting Super Punch-Out next week. Maybe we'll get that soon

So, the GBA games launch tomorrow and there's still no word about the deal that Japan is getting coming over here. Bit a bit harsh if they get the discounts for multiple purchases yet the rest of us don't.

So, the GBA games launch tomorrow and there's still no word about the deal that Japan is getting coming over here. Bit a bit harsh if they get the discounts for multiple purchases yet the rest of us don't.

I don't think we're getting it sadly :(

Though I do reckon that they'll probably do a similar offer some months down the line, with this Japanese offer being used as a test of sorts...

Blatantly not getting it, slightly unfair, they get the games cheaper and an amazing deal! I think we'll get a deal in a month or so when there's a batch, so Im just going to get advance wars for now and wait on the others for a sale.

Blatantly not getting it, slightly unfair, they get the games cheaper and an amazing deal! I think we'll get a deal in a month or so when there's a batch, so Im just going to get advance wars for now and wait on the others for a sale.

If they did buy 2 get 1 free or even buy 3 for £15 I would be in.

At £6.29 each though regardless of how many titles you get I am well and truly out.

Is Advance Wars 1 & 2 in Japan the same price as the other GBA games?

Would it have been too hard for them to translate that version of the game into other languages?

I just had a thought... I wonder if Mario & Luigi SS supports rumble on the VC version?

With the original game, if you played it on a Gameboy Player, the game would support rumble through the Gamecube controller. I wonder if they kept that feature intact...

BTW: That ability to have the manual on the Gamepad while the game is still running on the TV is really cool! It's like having the real physical manual in front of you while you play :)

I wish they'd offer the same thing with the original printed players guides for these games too. That would be really REALLY cool! :D

Edited by Dcubed

The games show the gameboy player logo at startup (or at least some seem to, like Mario & Luigi)

I hope that means hopefull things for gamecube emulation :)

(it could basically mean the gba games are run through gamecube emulation on WiiU?)

Edited by M_rock

The games show the gameboy player logo at startup (or at least some seem to, like Mario & Luigi)

I hope that means hopefull things for gamecube emulation :)

(it could basically mean the gba games are run through gamecube emulation on WiiU?)

It doesn't mean anything sadly. The games showed the logo even when run on a normal GBA, it's nothing special.

BTW: The entire month's worth of GBA games are actually already on the eShop right now (you can access their game pages if you search for them ;) ) you just can't actually download them until their respective release dates.

So frustrating, knowing that they're all there but are being arbitrarily held back... (Yeah yeah I know that this is normal and that this happens every time Nintendo give out early copies to the press and that it happens with every game - DKCTF and SM3DW got put up on the eShop around a month before launch for instance - but it's still frustrating...)

Edited by Dcubed

Turns out M2 helped with the GBA emulation. :bowdown:

Put some money on my account. My eShop wallet is ready.

Turns out M2 helped with the GBA emulation. :bowdown:

Put some money on my account. My eShop wallet is ready.

Yeah I saw that. Very surprising that Nintendo didn't do the emulation entirely in house like they usually do with their own consoles (M2 did the Mega Drive, Master System, SEGA Arcade game, Neogeo and MSX emulation on the Wii VC, but Nintendo handled the NES, SNES and N64 themselves - with the latter being done by NST)

Wonder why... Lack of resources?

Yeah I saw that. Very surprising that Nintendo didn't do the emulation entirely in house like they usually do with their own consoles (M2 did the Mega Drive, Master System, SEGA Arcade game, Neogeo and MSX emulation on the Wii VC, but Nintendo handled the NES, SNES and N64 themselves - with the latter being done by NST)

Wonder why... Lack of resources?

Very likely. With the Wii, they only had one platform to deal with, but now they have both 3DS and Wii U.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo's division is handling N64 while M2 did GBA

Certainly seems that way. They did suggest they were struggling so they must have brought in M2 to either ease the workload or just help with getting it running. They have been excellent as doing the VC for the systems mentioned, as well as handling the SEGA 3D Classics which seemed pretty difficult to update.

I wonder if that's why we got the smoothing options, it's not something Nintendo tends to add themselves.

The original manuals are a nice touch, I did wonder why there's a button on the touch screen to open it, but I guess we know why now.

I wonder if that's why we got the smoothing options, it's not something Nintendo tends to add themselves.

Possibly, but then again Nintendo do usually have a few video options when it comes to their handheld games (GB Player had quite a few video options, while the GB VC games on 3DS have both screen emulation and resolution options) so maybe they would've had something, if not smoothing...

The original manuals are a nice touch, I did wonder why there's a button on the touch screen to open it, but I guess we know why now.

That and having it available on the Gamepad screen from within the game also allows people to share screenshots of the original manual on Miiverse :) (if it was only accessible via the electronic manual from the home screen, you wouldn't be able to take screenshots).

I get the feeling that adding the original manual was a suggestion from M2 too :)

Man, Superstar Saga is still such a fantastic game.

The GameBoy Player splash certainly hints at these running through some sort of GameCube mode.

Edited by Guy

What's the deal with our manuals being in black and white while the Japanese ones are in colour? :(

The GameBoy Player splash certainly hints at these running through some sort of GameCube mode.

I think @Dcubed is right and it shows up on regular GBA hardware. The game came out roughly around the same time as the GB Player so I think it was a sneaky marketing technique. ;)

I can probably dig out my cart later and double check but I'm sure I remember it being there.

What's the deal with our manuals being in black and white while the Japanese ones are in colour? :(

Was our original manual in colour? I'd have to dig that out as well.

WtXdNcZ.jpg

:heh:

Was our original manual in colour? I'd have to dig that out as well.
Metroid Fusion is in colour, but Advance Wars and Mario & Luigi are both black and white. Edited by RedShell
Automerged Doublepost

The manuals are exactly as they were originally in the region

Edited by Serebii

This obsession with making VC games exactly as they were is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. TVs only capable of 50Hz at the time? You won't want the proper, 60Hz versions then. Game runs smoother than it used to? Artificially reduce the frame rate! No budget for colour printing at the time? Great, colour is overrated anyway!

By sticking to this attitude, Nintendo is suggesting the VC is only about nostalgia, and not so much that these are great games in their own right.

This obsession with making VC games exactly as they were is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. TVs only capable of 50Hz at the time? You won't want the proper, 60Hz versions then. Game runs smoother than it used to? Artificially reduce the frame rate! No budget for colour printing at the time? Great, colour is overrated anyway!

By sticking to this attitude, Nintendo is suggesting the VC is only about nostalgia, and not so much that these are great games in their own right.

Well they've gone away from the 50hz stuff now. However, they don't have manual files where they're in colour since they were never in colour. Would you rather they waste time and resources pissing about to make a manual colour?

Well they've gone away from the 50hz stuff now. However, they don't have manual files where they're in colour since they were never in colour. Would you rather they waste time and resources pissing about to make a manual colour?

Ca'man, even I know what he's saying here. The manuals will have been in colour but were printed in black and white for cost purposes (for proof - the official artwork images contained within manuals usually feature elsewhere throughout the game/in magazines, but in colour). Even though this point is trivial compared to the rest of what he was saying, he's arguing that Nintendo shouldn't include the manual in black and white just because it was at the time, if they can now offer something better.

I really want Metroid Fusion, Golden Sun and Advance Wars! Can't wait :)

Also, those prices aren't as bad as some people are making out! It's less than the price of two drinks in a decent bar!

When do they release?