NEurope
darkjak

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

Pretty simple surely? Get a metal box, apply stasis, hit it a few times to build energy and then speak to the guy just before the stasis ends. Voila.

Shows how much I actually use stasis. I thought the window was much smaller than that, and that the timer didn't stop during conversations.

Seven and a half months on from its release and starting this game, I finally saw the credits roll yesterday. To be fair to it, a lot of that time I've been away from my Wii U.

Overall, it's a brilliant game and the world is incredible. Technically it's great, it's a fresh twist on the Zelda formula and a unique experience.

However, my main disappointment with it was that it never really made me feel much emotionally. Not much joy, nor sadness. The story was so lacking, and I never really felt I was on much of an epic quest. Side quests never felt that rewarding. The world never felt in threat. Basically, the story has already happened and you're thrown into a world where you can just do whatever you choose to get yourself ready for the final boss. I appreciate the freedom, but while many have criticised the story/plot/structure of previous games, that they are samey, whatever, they're part of the series I love. 

It's cool that they've mixed up the combat, made enemies tougher, made it a sandbox where you can use more elements of the environment to defeat your foes. I never fully got to grips with dodging and flurries though - when I pulled it off, it felt a bit like I chanced it, and I got by fine just slashing away at enemies. I have to say I missed the joy of finding a new weapon in a dungeon, or finding somewhere inaccessible then coming back later and being able to hookshot over the gap, or whatever. You had all of these shrines, but there really weren't that many puzzles (in the 82 I've done out of the 120). So while it was still Zelda, it was lacking so much that makes Zelda, Zelda.

As I said, it's still a brilliant game that is a technical marvel and most certainly a game of the year contender. Despite this, it was probably my least favourite 3D Zelda. While I enjoyed my time with it, I was never addicted to it, or in love with it like I have been with previous entries.

I'd love to see another Zelda with a world like this. But it should have a stronger structure. Xenoblade Chronicles mastered the massive world with a pretty linear story. No reason why it couldn't be done with Zelda.

• Like 4

Spot on, @Mr-Paul.  I think eventually, what you've posted will become the consensus with Breath Of The Wild, just like there is (generally) a consensus with all the others.  Those who love it now will continue to love it, but to me the main criticisms we keep hearing are undeniable.  I think I would still like to replay it more than Skyward Sword (mainly from a convenience point of view), but I don't think it has the core gameplay hook of the others.

3 hours ago, Mr-Paul said:

Seven and a half months on from its release and starting this game, I finally saw the credits roll yesterday. To be fair to it, a lot of that time I've been away from my Wii U.

It's funny, because I also just finished it, the day before yesterday. I didn't save, so I don't consider it to be "official", but I had enough of finding Koroks for that day, and wanted to see the last few morsels of story I had left in the game. I've actually managed to avoid seeing images of Ganon so far, so it was genuinely a fresh experience in that regard.

That said, the ending (boss and cutscene) was a bit of an disappointment. For two reasons: it's a weak boss and ending in general, but also because of the nature of the game. After 250 hours of fighting Lynels, Guardians, and 4 bosses, the final boss is a joke, there's really no challenge, and defeating the 4 bosses before it punishes you by stripping away half the fight (although if it's not going to be a challenge anyway, I guess it can be considered an advantage).

It took so long for me because I simply took (another) break from Zelda after my previous elaborate post. I still love the game, but it's nature is both a good and a bad thing. It's good in general, but there are almost no high points in the game, it all levels out, and there's barely a climax to speak of. It's weird that the game invited me to draw things out to the extreme, I feel the need to get at the very least all 120 shrines and memories, and all the gear, before "finishing" the game. Obviously no other Zelda game has done this.. When I've beaten the final dungeon, I go to Ganon, regardless of how many hearts I had. It's why I took some breaks between sessions, because I like finding Koroks, but it also gets a bit tiring after a while because you're missing said high points. Having beaten all main dungeons, and having done most sidequests and shrines, this leaves little variation left for me to experience in the game. Normally this would be the cue to just finish things up, which I have done "unofficially" I guess, but again, there something in the game that invites me to draw things out until I've gotten everything. The fact remains I've put 250 hours in the game, which is much more than I have put in any other Zelda game.

That said, I'll wrap things up soon, with Mario coming out, and the dlc as well.. I need 1 more shrine, a couple of sidequests, the sword trials, and plenty of gear and their upgrades. I think that's the one I'm just going to leave it for what it is. I know I have the materials to max almost everything, after casually collecting it after 250 hours, except for the more exotic things, like the dragon stuff. I'll leave that for post-game I guess.. It's not like I need a level 4 barbarian or ancient armour outfit.

Anyway, the solution to this is simple. More (actual) dungeons. More bosses. More puzzles. More cutscenes, for main quests, sidequests, and random events (like what you get in the Bethesda rpgs). Breath of the wild has all of these things, but it simply needs more of all of them. This is why I don't agree with everyone who wants a faster Zelda development cycle.. These things take time. With the experience they have with open worlds now, this should hopefully allow more time to fill such a world with even more stuff they have now (which still is a commendable achievement of course). I just want it all, the open world, and the dungeons, and I'll easily wait 5 more years to get it. In fact, I honestly think it should be a launch game for the next Switch. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind having a smaller team continue to make dlc for Breath of the wild.

Having finally got and put some hours into it....this game is frustrating as shit sometimes. 

Nothing more so than a certain ball maze shrine. That shit was fucking awful and Nintendo needs to stop shoehorning shitty motion BS into games. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yep that shrine was awful. Good job the other one hundred and nineteen are great

I'm a staunch defender of the game but you know that's bullshit Ronnie - the repeated tests of strength being the main offender.

Edited by dwarf

43 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Having finally got and put some hours into it....this game is frustrating as shit sometimes. 

Nothing more so than a certain ball maze shrine. That shit was fucking awful and Nintendo needs to stop shoehorning shitty motion BS into games. 

I really enjoyed the ball maze one. Probably just me though. It was good to see motion controls put in on occasion.

• Like 2

It's the only shrine I didn't enjoy, that's all I meant. Sure there were a lot of Test of Strength shrines but I didn't actively dislike any of them. 

You said they were great, not that you found them passable.

Bleh, what does it matter.

7 hours ago, Blade said:

I really enjoyed the ball maze one. Probably just me though. It was good to see motion controls put in on occasion.

Most of the other motion shrines I’ve come across have been just fine. (A few camera issues here and there) that ball maze was just poor. Mainly the bad camera angle, sluggish controls and then the end of the maze you have to flip the ball out. That was the worst part. 

21 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Most of the other motion shrines I’ve come across have been just fine. (A few camera issues here and there) that ball maze was just poor. Mainly the bad camera angle, sluggish controls and then the end of the maze you have to flip the ball out. That was the worst part. 

Spoiler

I flipped the whole maze upside-down so that the ball just fell on a flat surface... then I rolled and flicked it off. Easy.

• Like 1

Negative. Tried that method too. It’s way simpler to do it legit in my opinion. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Story DLC still on track for this year according to an interview with Reggie earlier today.

I think that they’re doing something similar to the Oscar promotion route for films released outside of Oscar season: a film released in May, for instance, could be up for contention in one of the categories, so studios rerelease the film in Oscar season to produce a buzz around the film.

Likewise, I think the DLC is already completed, but it makes little sense to go sword-to-cap with Odyssey, and so is being timed to take this and GOTY awards season into account to produce a surge in buzz around Breath of the Wild; if memory serves correctly, there are no major first party games releasing on the Switch in November, so I think it’s highly probable that it drops next month.

A relevant example, I think, would be what Guerrilla Games has done with Horizon Zero Dawn’s DLC, the Frozen Wilds, which also releases next month (on the 7th) to bring it back into critics’ minds with GOTY conversations just over a month away.

Only thing I can really think of which makes this unlikely is how they’ve been using Directs to convey a lot of news about BotW since it’s release, such as with the Champions amiibo range; then again, we could certainly get a not-so-major-and-revealing Direct next month for this to slip into.

• Like 2

It seems a new patch rolled out for this overnight ( 1.3.3) which adds a new quest called ‘Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I think you can some xenoblade armor from it, but I've not checked it myself. Also this:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Helmsly said:

It seems a new patch rolled out for this overnight ( 1.3.3) which adds a new quest called ‘Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I think you can some xenoblade armor from it, but I've not checked it myself.

Yeah, they revealed it during the Xenoblade direct

• Thanks 1

Fired the game up and got the new outfit. I'm very disappointed it can't be upgraded. The whole thing seems kinda pointless. Granted, it's free but still...

I wish they put a little more effort in it if they were going to add it anyway.. That helmet clipping through your shield looks even more ridiculous than the outfit itself. Anyway, can't wait to put on Link's clothes on in Xenoblade.

19 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Anyway, can't wait to put on Link's clothes on in Xenoblade.

To us Monster Hunter fans, it's very much a case of "Been there, done that"

maxresdefault.jpg

WVW69kqoJLQZZKBRGc