NEurope
Cube

Xbox One Console Discussion

I rarely buy used games so that part doesn't really effect me. But I do get a lend off my friends a lot because I don't have money to buy all the games and they do. On top of that, having to play for xbox live when I have to go weeks without spending any money at all means this console sounds less and less appealing. I never enter the living room and watch all my tv shows on my laptop so all the TV sections mean nothing to me. I've never liked COD or sports games. This console is not the ONE for me.

Honestly I don't understand how people can complain about XBL sub costs. It's about £25/year, that's £2/mo. I spend £40/mo on my cable package. If I got ADSL, I could save £10 there straight away. I spent £2 today on my lunch alone. I might spend £20-£40 on a (cheap) night out. One day I might buy a game for £30, and then 2 weeks later the price has dropped to £25. £25-30 per year is just not worth mentioning...

But... now that we know part of their - evil - plans to effectively eradicate the second-hand games market, is anyone going to be really... that interested in the games?

I never buy second hand games, my Xbox 360 has been connected to the internet every day for four years. Yeah, I'm still interested.

I don't know for sure if I'm going to buy it, but all I really took away from this event was "you're going to have to show me more than that", not "I do not want this console".

Edited by Shorty

I don't know for sure if I'm going to buy it, but all I really took away from this event was "you're going to have to show me more than that", not "I do not want this console".

Well I don't really want it at the moment but this could change come E3, but I'm already partially turned-off by the fact that you don't 'really' own the games when you buy them.

The games that they announce will have to be damn good for me to consider purchasing the console, so we shall see but right now, I'm happy with my current 360/PS3/WiiU setup.

Honestly I don't understand how people can complain about XBL sub costs. It's about £25/year, that's £2/mo. I spend £40/mo on my cable package. If I got ADSL, I could save £10 there straight away. I spent £2 today on my lunch alone. I might spend £20-£40 on a (cheap) night out. One day I might buy a game for £30, and then 2 weeks later the price has dropped to £25. £25-30 per year is just not worth mentioning...

Because everywhere else we play online for free

The fact Netflix, which you already pay for, sits behind the Xbox Gold paywall is revolting. It's the ultimate form of paying for nothing.

Microsoft's director of programming, Larry Hryb, admitted there had been some "confusion" around the policy.

"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

He added that gamers could bring their games to a friends' house to play without paying a fee - but only if the game's owner is signed in to the Xbox Live account with which it is registered.

If the player wanted to lend the game to that friend, a fee would be required in order to play the title on a different Xbox Live profile.

I don't have a problem with that. I rarely buy games and if I want to go round to a friends with the game I can take my profile with me.

A Kindle-esque loaning system would be fantastic although won't happen. Amazon allow US customers to loan some books (as decided by the publisher) to a friend for 2 weeks. Within that period the owner of the book cannot access it.

I never buy used games or trade in my games. However I still pretty appalled by the blocking of used games. I do find it rather hypocritical though that Sony and EA have been doing exactly the same with their online passes yet the complaints haven't been anywhere near as vociferous as they are with MS. If anything, at least MS are being open about the fact they want to block used games being sold rather than doing through the back door with online passes.

The other thing that there has been huge hypocrisy over is backwards compatibility. People didn't seem that bothered that all their PS3 and PSN games wouldn't be working on the PS4, but now I see whole threads popping up to attack MS over doing the same thing. What's more, considering MS and Sony's stance on this I think Nintendo need a major pat on the back considering all Wii VC and Wiiware games can be transferred over to the Wii U - and they're carried over by Pikmin too!

My biggest issue though with both these new consoles is that neither manufacturer has shown anything that actually looks compelling. The focus seems to be on making everything look better with the same vague assertions we always get before any console release that everything is going to feel like an intelligent, living and breathing world - only to play games where the enemy soldiers run into walls, shoot into nowhere and you can trick them by hiding behind a box for a few seconds!

But E3 is but a few weeks away, so we can all judge everything far better when everyone has laid their cards on the table and the dust settles on all of this.

Although whatever Sony and MS show, I'm still not convinced that two consoles that are so similar and will be showcasing almost exactly the same games can be released in such a short time scale and both be successful.

But... now that we know part of their - evil - plans to effectively eradicate the second-hand games market, is anyone going to be really... that interested in the games?

Let's see if I can remember them:

- Forzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..Sorry, I fell asleep.

- New Remedy game called Quantum Flux or something like that. Nothing seemed interesting about the concept and some FMV stuff.

- CoD/EA sports. Not interested plus it's multiplatform anyway.

Was that it?

The fact Netflix, which you already pay for, sits behind the Xbox Gold paywall is revolting. It's the ultimate form of paying for nothing.

Within Gold you get access to the online gaming, so you're not paying for nothing.

However I still pretty appalled by the blocking of used games.

How many times does this need to be said? Microsoft aren't blocking used games. They have said that they have a plan for used games that will be revealed at a later date. One would assume that they are trying to get the profit for used games as opposed to retailers.

Everyone in here needs to go away and read up on the facts.

Edited by Charlie
Automerged Doublepost

How many times does this need to be said? Microsoft aren't blocking used games. They have said that they have a plan for used games that will be revealed at a later date.

Microsoft also said that used games will be blocked and there is a fee.

The internal communication about the Xbox is a complete mess, nobody seems to know anything resulting in lots of conflicting reports.

Fact is, in interviews, Harrison and Major Nelson both stated about fees for second hand games.

It's unacceptable. It's fact.

The only confusing part is the fee, is it a cheaper price for a pre-owned game or the price of it "as new" to play it. Which sucks big style, may as well buy new.

Well I don't really want it at the moment but this could change come E3, but I'm already partially turned-off by the fact that you don't 'really' own the games when you buy them.

Even if all the facts are true about pre-owned games, and they're not confirmed yet, this would be the opposite of the truth. More like, you own the games more than you ever have before, so much so that other people can't use them. If 10 years down the line they decide to cease DRM checks on your games, they will open it up, not close it down.

Fact is, in interviews, Harrison and Major Nelson both stated about fees for second hand games.

It's unacceptable. It's fact.

I'm not denying that, in fact I made no mention of it.

What is also a fact is that you currently pay a fee for second hand games. You go to the shop, hand over your money and get the game.

Let's stop the speculation until MS tell us exactly what they're planning on doing.

The only confusing part is the fee, is it a cheaper price for a pre-owned game or the price of it "as new" to play it. Which sucks big style, may as well buy new.

Which is what they will be bargaining on, more people buying the game new = more profit for them, personally though if I decided to go for the console, it would probably mean that I'd end up waiting for most of the games to drop to below £20 before even purchasing them new, that way it won't feel as if I'd 'lost' quite as much as if I'd purchased it for full retail price.

I don't know... we'll see what happens at E3 but at the moment I think Microsoft and EA are completely delusional! :p

Which is what they will be bargaining on, more people buying the game new = more profit for them, personally though if I decided to go for the console, it would probably mean that I'd end up waiting for most of the games to drop to below £20 before even purchasing them new, that way it won't feel as if I'd 'lost' quite as much as if I'd purchased it for full retail price.

I don't know... we'll see what happens at E3 but at the moment I think Microsoft and EA are completely delusional! :p

Both from the sounds of it are smoking a lot of weed, i'm eagerly looking forward to E3 to see whats what.

Let's stop the speculation until MS tell us exactly what they're planning on doing.

For all we know, shops dealing with used games will be able to buy activation codes for really good prices, and the on-console fee is just so you can't install it and give the game to your friend so he can play it for free.

I'm sure they've thought of relationships with shops. Perhaps they'll even offer gamers the option to buy an "selling code" for a lower price, which would remove it from your console right away, so you can sell it on eBay.

There are still some ways this couldn't be as bad as it sounds.

One thing that is interesting: it sounds like if you trade a game into a store, you'll still be able to play it until someone buys and activates it.

What would be best, I think, is if we just talk about what we do know, and wait for an official, comprehensive statement about used games...

There's plenty of solid stuff to discuss. So nobody else is looking forward to sitting down to watch TV without looking for the remote? What about Kinect reading your heartbeat, that sounds pretty good, eh?

Controller, at first I thought it looked fugly, but in some videos, it actually looks cool. Feedback on triggers during a shooter or racer is going to add a nice new level to the game, albeit minor.

Within Gold you get access to the online gaming, so you're not paying for nothing.

When online play is free literally everywhere else, you're paying for nothing.

In contrast to Sony with its PlayStation Store, Nintendo with its eShop and Valve with Steam, Microsoft won't let independent developers self-publish on Xbox One.

Instead, they must seek a publishing deal either with Microsoft itself or a third-party - as is the case with Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade currently.

When Shacknews asked if developers would still need a publisher to get content onto Xbox Live, Matt Booty, general manager of Redmond Game Studios and Platforms, said: "As of right now, yes. We intend to continue to court developers in the ways that we have."

He added: "I would also expect that for this new generation, that we're going to continue to explore new business models and new ways of surfacing content. But Microsoft Studios is a publisher that works with a wide range of partners, as do a lot of other people, to bring digital content to the box."

Microsoft's decision may make it much harder for indie games to appear on Xbox One than the PS4, Wii U and Steam, and it has already been questioned by developers. "Oh dear," wrote Thomas Was Alone designer Mike Bithell on Twitter. "So it looks like you won't be seeing #project2 on your Xbox One..." Just Add Water's Stranger's Wrath HD was one high-profile game that failed to release on Xbox 360 because of Microsoft's strict rules.

Sony in particular has made a strong indie game push in recent months. Two weeks ago it launched an indie game category on the PlayStation Store. Before that it secured the release of a number of eye-catching indie games for PlayStation, including Luftrausers, Hotline Miami and the aforementioned Thomas Was Alone. Eurogamer's Jeffrey Matulef investigated the Japanese company's new-found love of all things indie in a feature published last month.

We pretty much already knew this but confirmation.

no backwards compatibilty, no used games, pay to play online, more expensive... Wii U is starting to look like the console to have.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-22-xbox-one-e3-is-absolutely-all-about-the-games

"Seeing is believing. I understand that people want to see the games, play the games and then make a judgement. That's fair and reasonable, and we're not so naïve to think otherwise"

"But we felt that there was another part, and we didn't want to wait until after E3 to start telling that story. So that's why we went with the plan tonight: to come out of the gate with the overall vision for the box, an all-in-one device with games, TV and entertainment. We didn't want to forget games entirely tonight, because then there's the risk that people think we're forgetting them, and that couldn't be further from the truth. But we tried to be clear that E3 completes the story, and that's where you'll see the games."

"We are building the Xbox One to support the trading and re-selling of used games. We are working through the policies of how that will work right now, but we will not block used games."

E3 should be very very good!!

Ok so firstly not sure if this has been written in here but Eurogamer's digital foundry confirms 2 things;

Power Brick is BACK!

Along with the HDMI input there is also an infra red dongle that has to be lined up with your cable box. I'm not quite sure how this works practically but it seems to get round the problems people people have been highlighting. So the HDMI in is used purely for the TV signal itself whereas the Xbox does the work of deciphering your voice and then sending the appropriate signal to the cable box.

Finally I told my girlfriend about all this new fangled voice tech and she loved it. We constantly have this annoyance of a tv remote, cable remote and ps3 remote/controller in the bed. First world problems I know lol. We've looked at universal remotes and she hates them lol. Also the thought of a more accurate "less shitty" kinect appealed to her. She said a no remote future is the dream. So I guess if there aim is to get into more living rooms then they accomplished in piquing a more casual market, purely single case granted.

There's plenty of solid stuff to discuss. So nobody else is looking forward to sitting down to watch TV without looking for the remote? What about Kinect reading your heartbeat, that sounds pretty good, eh?

If I had a problem with my remote, my phone is in my pocket. Failing that, my tablet is always nearby. That's three options for controlling my TV (and PS3).

The heartbeat thing I don't really like the sound of. The vitality sensor sounded stupid and this is no different.