N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654903&page=1

More rumours that it's an October release. SDK is finished so games can be finalised.

Also, I said I can see Virgin Media siding with Sony (with Sky and Microsoft siding with each other) - interesting tweet from them today:

Connect your Xbox or PS3 to the Super hub: http://goo.gl/mZzSHp But more importantly, who's ready for the PS4?

Probably nothing, though.

Also, I said I can see Virgin Media siding with Sony (with Sky and Microsoft siding with each other) - interesting tweet from them today:

Probably nothing, though.

I'm not sure teaming up with Virgin would be Sony's style. I posted about this before but it's interesting Sony have been very good at using their Playstation as a Trojan Horse; the PS2 got DVDs into the house, the PS3 did a pretty good job with BluRay. Sony could quite easily sneak in an take the lead in the Internet TV stakes. Sony and Viacom Reach Tentative Deal to Stream Cable Channels

It's an interesting contrast to Microsoft who are working with cable providers. Sony on the other hand are circumventing cable boxes altogether and going straight to content providers. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. With all Microsoft's talk of TV, I think it could well be Sony who has more potential to rival Apple and Google.

I'm not sure teaming up with Virgin would be Sony's style. I posted about this before but it's interesting Sony have been very good at using their Playstation as a Trojan Horse; the PS2 got DVDs into the house, the PS3 did a pretty good job with BluRay. Sony could quite easily sneak in an take the lead in the Internet TV stakes. Sony and Viacom Reach Tentative Deal to Stream Cable Channels

It's an interesting contrast to Microsoft who are working with cable providers. Sony on the other hand are circumventing cable boxes altogether and going straight to content providers. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. With all Microsoft's talk of TV, I think it could well be Sony who has more potential to rival Apple and Google.

I definitely think you are correct with this Trojan horse theory. Its one of the things that's most baffling about Xbox One. Microsoft did such a good job of getting 360s into the home on the back of exclusive games, dlc etc. Then they slowly introduced a host of apps (more than PS3 although how many are actually good or used is debatable) to make it a box in the living room. Sony did a better job of quietly offering movies on psn, first party exclusives, indie games without constantly fucking around the service and market placement etc.... They are now the go to platform holder for indie games outside of PC.

Jesus I sound like such a fanboy!

RE: The Viacom deal.

Important to note that this is an "over the top" deal. What typically happens in America (but seemingly less so in the UK), and what is the case with the Xbox One, is services may offer you to run your cable through them, but you still need to be signed up to a cable service in the first place. Think of it like having Sky and subscribing to Sky Movies, and then being able to watch Sky Movies using your Xbox One through an app (essentially what is happening). In the case of the Viacom deal, you are bypassing the Sky subscription and just signing up to 'Sky Movies' (obviously in this case its Viacom but using the UK-centric example). This actually rarely happens in America and Apple, Google and MS have all had problems convincing companies to let them do it. It's actually quite surprising that Sony has been able to do it given the TV industry's reluctance.

So what is essentially happening is rather than being forced into packages decided by cable providers, customers will be able to choose what options they want and just pay for those. Hopefully they'll be able to get more on board.

Plus, Viacom owns Nickelodeon which aired The Mighty B which starred Amy Poehler so we're all good!

original.gif

So release date predictions...

I'm calling Friday October 4th because it's easy to remember... ;)

It's also the same day that The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD is released on the Wii U and so for that reason I hope it isn't this date but I know that it probably will be as I'm sure Sony couldn't resist doing it as a troll move. :p

I don't care either way, I'm buying one on release but I think it would be somewhat amusing if this happened because this will basically be me on launch day...

'Got my PS4!!!'

*goes back to playing Zelda* :D