Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

Question about PS4 and Vita remote play. Does anyone do it? Like, a lot? And does it work. I never did get to play about with it and from the reviews I read when it was introduced, some people said there was some lag and it wasn't as good as it could be? But like I say, I never tried so don't know.

Just curious if anyone on here utilises it and feels like it's wortth using.

Thanks y'all.

I've used it and it works pretty well. The only thing is that it's not great with games that require precise/quick use of controls (like FPS, beat 'em ups). For puzzles, RPGs, strategy games etc it works pretty great.

Question about PS4 and Vita remote play. Does anyone do it? Like, a lot? And does it work.

I do it. Like, a lot. And it works. :p

In all seriousness: It's awesome. I've played many games via remote play, the latest: Peggle 2.

A (not complete) list of games I've played via remote play:

Watchdogs - worked great, easy to control.

Destiny - not really useful if you want to do PvP, as the precision is lost with the Vita's control sticks, but I finished the story with 1 character via remote play

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - tried it for a couple of runs just to see what it's like (the game's out on Vita so remote play is not necessary); worked great

Diablo 3 - incredible; inventory text is a bit small, but it's not a huge issue

Divinity: Original Sin - same as Diablo 3

It works for most games. Games that require precision and quick use of controls, like Sheikah said, should be played normally. For the rest: remote play is great : peace:

I've used it and it works pretty well. The only thing is that it's not great with games that require precise/quick use of controls (like FPS, beat 'em ups). For puzzles, RPGs, strategy games etc it works pretty great.

I do it. Like, a lot. And it works. :p

In all seriousness: It's awesome. I've played many games via remote play, the latest: Peggle 2.

A (not complete) list of games I've played via remote play:

Watchdogs - worked great, easy to control.

Destiny - not really useful if you want to do PvP, as the precision is lost with the Vita's control sticks, but I finished the story with 1 character via remote play

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - tried it for a couple of runs just to see what it's like (the game's out on Vita so remote play is not necessary); worked great

Diablo 3 - incredible; inventory text is a bit small, but it's not a huge issue

Divinity: Original Sin - same as Diablo 3

It works for most games. Games that require precision and quick use of controls, like Sheikah said, should be played normally. For the rest: remote play is great : peace:

Cheers to you both! :D

Sounds good.

I think the likes of Resident Evil will work deliciously with remote play in that case then.

May have to sort this shit out. I really like these new Vita colours too (on play-asia). The blue one is incredible. : peace:

Question about PS4 and Vita remote play. Does anyone do it? Like, a lot? And does it work. I never did get to play about with it and from the reviews I read when it was introduced, some people said there was some lag and it wasn't as good as it could be? But like I say, I never tried so don't know.

Just curious if anyone on here utilises it and feels like it's wortth using.

Thanks y'all.

There is a very small amount of lag in 'addition' to your internal network lag(wireless lag, powerline etc.). Its surprisingly good. Almost feels native is my take. There is a 60 fps option too. But if its something like SFV then you are at a disadvantage. Though it wont feel too bad for many.

The vita tv has a big plus in that if you absolutely want the wired option to a router. But if the PS4 and vita tv are that close together then whats the point? Vita Tv has other oddball annoyances as its not full featured. The Vita itself is more practical despite the sticks and button setup. Plus you can play anywhere. So thats what i ended up doing mostly.

The future should be much more interesting in this regard but its quite a nice extra right now. So yeah a qualified recommendation or great if your tv gets taken over etc.

Thanks Choze. :)

That's great.

I'm more thinking for times when I don't want to be tucked in my room and can at least be downstairs with others whilst I play that and they play on their phones as my mum watches her soaps :heh: which is a nightly occurrence!

Plus, when I move into my new house soon, I don't want to take over the TV as it will be in the living room / lounge whatever you wanna call it :).

So that's great, thank. Vita purchased today and PS4 being picked up on Wednesday. Xbox being traded in. I like the One, but it's lacking exclusives that interest me now (that it wasn't a year ago) and I'm fed up of the UI. It's just awful.

Plus, more people on here, and guys at work have PS4's, so works in that regard. Lad I sit next to keeps badgering me to buy the Division, and the TV adverts are tempting me, so should be good.

Thanks again.

The PS4's UI is much worse...no folders, no activity log.

Just kidding. :p

Great purchases there. PSVita and a PS4. Can't go wrong : peace:

I think so long as I can access trophies in shorter time than it takes me to walk the dog, come back, cook tea and eat it, (unlike Xbox One)* then I'll be good.

Just overall UI speed is what I'm after, plus the not having to replace batteries in controller or buy 2 additional items to be able to charge the controller and talk to people through it :woops:.

I do prefer the One controller, but I'm sure I'll deal. :)

Looking forward to the Vita the most so I can play Virtua Tennis on it. :hehe: What a game.

Ordered from Play-Asia, so might be a good few days before arrival yet. : peace:

*Might be a slight exaggeration.

I think so long as I can access trophies in shorter time than it takes me to walk the dog, come back, cook tea and eat it, (unlike Xbox One)* then I'll be good.

Accessing trophies might be the one function that takes the most time to load up, but it's nothing to worry about (at least on the PS4, on the PSVita it takes a bit longer). :D

Just overall UI speed is what I'm after

And you'll get it :)

Full features:

• Friend Online Notification – Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign on the network.
  • Appear Offline – Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being bothered by friends. Now it’s easier to go incognito as we’ve added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.
  • User Scheduled Event – Time for a play date! We’ve added the ability to schedule a future gameplay session with your friends on the system. When your event starts, users who registered for the event will automatically be added to a party so you can start playing right away.
  • Play Together – This features allows all members of a Party to see what each person is playing so that you can easily join a friend’s game, or start a new game together.
  • Remote Play (PC/Mac) – We’re bringing PS4 Remote Play to Windows PC and Mac. This feature won’t be available to test in the beta, but you can look forward to it soon.
  • Dailymotion – With this update, you’ll be able to live stream directly to Dailymotion on PS4. We’ll also support archiving live broadcasts, like we do for other streaming services.

From here. It also promises "additional key features" will be revealed in the future (as well as a release date).

I wonder if Appear Offline will also prevent automatic notifications (such as friend sign ins, party notifications etc) from appearing? Could be useful for Netflix and chill.

Friend notifications are on there way...

Full features:

Friend Online Notification – Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign on the network.

Appear Offline – Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being bothered by friends. Now it’s easier to go incognito as we’ve added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.

FINALLY!!!

Been waiting ages for both of these things! :bouncy:

Two and a half years after release, PS4 is finally getting the basic feature of friend notifications. Still no folders.

Friend Online Notification – Want to know the moment your friends come online? With this update, you can, as we’ve added an option to be notified when members of your friends list sign in on the network. Notifications can be tailored to certain friends.

Appear Offline – Sometimes you want to play a game or watch a movie without being interrupted. Now it’s easier to go incognito as we’ve added the option to appear offline. You can designate if you would like to appear offline when you log-in or at any time from your Profile or the Quick Menu.

User Scheduled Event - Now it’s easier to organise a game session. We’ve added the ability to schedule a future gameplay session with your friends on the system. When your event starts, users who registered for the event will automatically be added to a party so you can start playing right away.

Remote Play (PC/Mac) – We’re bringing PS4 Remote Play to Windows PC and Mac. This feature won’t be available to test in the beta, but you can look forward to it soon.

Dailymotion, new service partner in Share feature – Dailymotion, an additional live streaming service, will become available for PS4 users to enhance their broadcast experience. Like other live streaming services available on PS4, users will enjoy the following features: Activity Feed, What’s New Broadcast Info Tile, Live Detail and Live from PlayStation.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2016/03/01/ps4-3-50-system-software-update-key-features-detailed/?emcid=social_20160301_58820696&adbid=704622616741416960&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

Two and a half years after release, PS4 is finally getting the basic feature of friend notifications. Still no folders.

Baffling how its took them so long, especially as the One sorted it out so quickly. I suppose it could be worse, I mean the Wii U has been on the market for an extra year over the PS4 and that still doesn't have proper friend notifications. :p

I'm still amazed that we're given the option to play on a Vita and now PC/Mac, the ability to live stream to various services and a pretty robust (but not perfect) party system and you still act as if the lack of folders is a black mark on the PS4 :heh:

Baffling how its took them so long, especially as the One sorted it out so quickly. I suppose it could be worse, I mean the Wii U has been on the market for an extra year over the PS4 and that still doesn't have proper friend notifications. :p

The Wii U has had friend notifications since release? Whenever someone comes online it pops up on the gamepad screen

Now now guys, don't get overly defensive like they do over the WiiU. That's what tends to start the arguments. He didn't mention the WiiU in his first post, it was you guys that brought it up.

The Wii U has had friend notifications since release? Whenever someone comes online it pops up on the gamepad screen

In this case Ronnie, you know when friends come online on the PS4 because they appear on the friends list... sure, you have to be looking at the friends list at all times to see, but on the WiiU you can't be in any game and have to be looking at the Gamepad at all times so it's pretty much the same... right? ;)

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

After playing on the Wii U with my Pro controller I never have any idea when someone comes online. And there's no messaging.

It's very true, whenever someone comes online a message pops up on the gamepad. The home button will flash if you're using the pro controller. I'm not even sure why why the Wii U was brought up. This is the PS4 thread after all.

Anyway, well done Playstation, two and a half years later.

Xbox being traded in. I like the One, but it's lacking exclusives that interest me now (that it wasn't a year ago) and I'm fed up of the UI.

Honestly, the UI is one of the big reasons why I traded mine in. The thing is stupidly clunky, confusing and crowded. It's baffling just how far they've fallen from the classic blade days of the 360. It seems with every iteration of the dashboard they've got progressively worse.

It's very true, whenever someone comes online a message pops up on the gamepad. The home button will flash if you're using the pro controller. I'm not even sure why why the Wii U was brought up. This is the PS4 thread after all.

Anyway, well done Playstation, two and a half years later.

Because you are essentially baiting people ( yup, I took the bait ). Just like you have done with that final comment you've made.

How weird it misses some basic features like friend notifications and the like but has a fully comprehensive online infrastrucure that supports party chat.

I dont think its actually that it was missing friend notifications though was it? It was an actual choice by Sony to remove them as the PS3 had them so more of a decision that didnt work out. Small difference I know. Still, at least they've sorted it now for those that want it. Got to admit though, I'm probably going to leave mine off.