Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

And then some people told what features they wanted and were shat on from a great height for their opinions.

Must you be so incessantly melodramatic?

I don't see any problem with people referencing someone else and relating their own opinions to it. Nobody is calling anyone else a dickhead.

Must you be so incessantly melodramatic?

I don't see any problem with people referencing someone else and relating their own opinions to it. Nobody is calling anyone else a dickhead.

I'm sorry for calling you the worst thing ever. That was rather rude of me, and i didn't mean it. I've had a rather stressful day at work, and it affected my judgement.

The PS4's "What's new" screen does that well enough for me. Shows your friends' recent activities, you can like peoples' videos and posts etc, jump into twitch streams. Rather see that than a bunch of doodles....

Its nothing like miverse

See the thead 2016 gaming diary and its a bit like that (between friends) but on miiverse. I personally love it and interesting what my friends on miiverse think of the games they are playing, what stage they are at with them, their frustrations etc.

Its a lot better than just knowing that somone played Destiny 1 hour ago or someone got a secret trophy on a game.

Without actually making this too WiiU thread - I like Miiverse, and I love the idea of it, and I think it's a great thing from Nintendo - but I can really take it or leave it. I don't know whether that's down to the time on the WiiU, or just that it's not something I really kept on top of(plus not using my WiiU as much). To take it back to PS4 - it's generally much more seamless and quicker in its transitions, which for me is something that sits beneath any sort of features. It's slick and snappy enough already, the WiiU feels like it isn't(even with quick launch).

I prefer features such as party chat over folders or an activity log anyday.

If I did want to improve the PS4 it would be

1. A miiverse clone

2. Friend notification

3. Activity log

4. Folders

Superficial stuff really.

Well yeah! But fortunately we already actually have voice chat with PS4, and no one's taking that away any time soon. See above for my miiverse feeling, and really it's only the notifications and activity log I'd like, but I've already covered that. I don't struggle with getting to my content and feeling a need for folders, but that might be due to staying mostly disc based and the recently used nature of the PS4's home screen. I can see why people want them though, and I don't see why they wouldn't try and give the people what they want if it isn't too much hassle - just makes the system more appealing.

To take it back to PS4 - it's generally much more seamless and quicker in its transitions, which for me is something that sits beneath any sort of features. It's slick and snappy enough already, the WiiU feels like it isn't(even with quick launch).

I don't struggle with getting to my content and feeling a need for folders, but that might be due to staying mostly disc based and the recently used nature of the PS4's home screen.

I feel the same. I use my Wii U frequently and in comparison the PS4 just seems smoother about everything it does. There's a certain fluidity about it all.

The folders thing should only be an issue if you are playing a load of games at the same time, otherwise it's just a question of scrolling to the right. Given I can see what everyone on here plays, and how many games they play, I don't see how this is an issue for anyone on here. ::shrug:

I've been craving a fighting game, so I ventured into the Mortal Kombat X and Street Fighter V threads to get some impressions and decide which one to get. In the end, I chose a different option. I took @Hero\-of\-Time's advice and signed up to the PS NOW week-long trial.

I'm going to admit that I went into this with absolutely low expectations. Our internet isn't that fantastic, but we regularly go online with Battlefront, Rocket League, etc. Sometimes certain youtube videos will take forever to load. It's inconsistent more than anything.

Anyway, we signed up and I thought I'd have a go at Crazy Taxi. Something that I'm already familiar with, just to see how it runs. Game ran as if I had the disc-based version. A good first impression. The next step...I thought I'd give Mortal Kombat 9 a good go. Again, game ran as smooth as butter. I played quite a few matches on this and really enjoyed what I played.

Time for the acid test. Ultra Street Fighter 4 with a twist...with @Eenuh and myself both taking part in a series of versus matches. I've got to admit that the service exceeded my expectations. A third person wouldn't have been able to tell that this was not being played through a disc or downloaded to the console. It ran really well and we played for about 10 or so matches with no issues. :D

We then spent the rest of the evening on ICO and are halfway through that. There's already a few other games that I'm eyeing up for the rest of the week. Now...my only wish was that the service was a tiny bit cheaper. If it were the same price as Netflix and Spotify and went for £8.99 or £9.99, I'd definitely sign up for now. But, based on what I played, I had a great time with it and it's quite exciting to see that this stuff is already working now...god, gaming has come a long way. Cheers for the recommendation, Hero. I'm now tempted to just play this for the week and maybe hold off on buying either SFV or MKXL for now.

Glad to see you're enjoying it, @Fierce_LiNk. If your connection is good enough then the PS Now system is perfect for someone like yourself who missed out on the PS3 offerings. While £9.99 would have been the sweet spot, I still think it's good value, given the amount of games that are on offer.

I see you're play Sonic Generations now. Cracking game. Methinks you're gonna be overwhelmed with stuff to play. :D

Glad to see you're enjoying it, @Fierce_LiNk. If your connection is good enough then the PS Now system is perfect for someone like yourself who missed out on the PS3 offerings. While £9.99 would have been the sweet spot, I still think it's good value, given the amount of games that are on offer.

I see you're play Sonic Generations now. Cracking game. Methinks you're gonna be overwhelmed with stuff to play. :D

It is pretty cool being able to go through this list of games and know that I've not played a single one of them. There's a lot there that I've already decided that I want to play. What will make or break it is how often they plan to add games to it. I hope that they eventually put PS1 and PS2 games on there as there's a lot that I missed out on.

Sonic Generations is awesome. It's probably going to save me a bit of money in the long-term because I won't need to actually buy a PS3 and I won't need to go out and purchase these games. I'm not bothered about the whole "you don't own the game" argument because...it just doesn't bother me. I already stream my tv, film and music and it hasn't affected me one bit. I look at my CD collection and can't remember the last time I even took a disc out of its case. Maybe that's the culture we're going towards now.

Wow the number of games you get in that is pretty good....but i think $20 a month is too much. It would be good if i was likely to play an complete a game per month or more, but i know i just won't.

I agree that I think the price is a bit too high, but it does come down to perceived value for money. It's the same with Netflix and Spotify really, if you use it regularly, then it actually becomes a steal in terms of price. I'm hoping that they continue adding games to this library because that will tempt me to pay a regular subscription or not. I'm just delighted that the thing even works at all because I still find the concept a bit mind-blowing.

Netflix seems like good value to me, as it's £7 a month, so all you have to do is watch a couple of films or TV shows that month and it's worth it.

I wish PS Now had tiered pricing somehow, so i could pay £5 a month and get access to one or two at a time perhaps...

Netflix seems like good value to me, as it's £7 a month, so all you have to do is watch a couple of films or TV shows that month and it's worth it.

I wish PS Now had tiered pricing somehow, so i could pay £5 a month and get access to one or two at a time perhaps...

Isn't that the same with PSNow? If I managed to get through all of Ico, finished the story for Mortal Kombat and played through one of the Uncharted games within a month, wouldn't that be worth it? It'll take you longer to play a game than it will to watch a single movie. If a tv series like Arrow (what we're watching) has about 20 odd episodes, that's 20 hours of content. Games are massive time-suckers and I could see myself easily using the service for that long.

A tiered pricing system would be great. Could it work on a timed basis? So, 15 hours of gaming for £5? Or something to that effect. Maybe it could work like television where you pay for just the sports game or just the action-adventure titles. There's lots of different ways of doing it. For that to work though, the catalogue would have to be muuuuuch bigger.

Not just pricing but also the technical aspect. Even testing on my home network there is additonal lag that was being added if going through powerline and wifi. Direct wired to the router is the best but not practical for most. Having a good home network isnt always easy! Let alone your broadband, distance to service etc.

I imagine the service will take off more over time. Nowadays there is alot more to the PS4 given streaming, editing, 1080p etc. Streaming a 1080p flawless quality output is hard for a game.

Isn't that the same with PSNow? If I managed to get through all of Ico, finished the story for Mortal Kombat and played through one of the Uncharted games within a month, wouldn't that be worth it? It'll take you longer to play a game than it will to watch a single movie. If a tv series like Arrow (what we're watching) has about 20 odd episodes, that's 20 hours of content. Games are massive time-suckers and I could see myself easily using the service for that long.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it' overpriced for everyone. Like you said, if you played that many games in one month, it would be a bargain.

For me however, who barely manages to complete one game every six months...

@Fierce_LiNk I was thinking, did you ever get to play Resident Evil 5? If it's on the service I recommended giving it a go. I know you like the older Resi games and while the game is more action focused than the originals, the story in this is far better than what 4 had to offer and has many callbacks to the first games. Also, it's a cracking game when playing in co-op.

@Fierce_LiNk I was thinking, did you ever get to play Resident Evil 5? If it's on the service I recommended giving it a go. I know you like the older Resi games and while the game is more action focused than the originals, the story in this is far better than what 4 had to offer and has many callbacks to the first games. Also, it's a cracking game when playing in co-op.

I absolutely echo this.

RE5 was an incredible co-op game.

I enjoyed the story in single player, but it really becomes a different game when playing in co-op.

Sunk many hours into that one with Mike1988uk. Fond times indeed.

I can therefore get quite aggressive when people say that RE:5 is shit. :laughing:

A common misconception. ;)

Indeed.

It's easily better than Resident Evil 4, IMO.

Ooooo now THAT is a controversial comment! :awesome:

4 is my least played of all of the ones I've actually played, so I do need to revisit it at some point.

I doubt may would agree with you, but I think I'd sit in your camp with that opinion too. #comeatus :)