NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

53 minutes ago, bob said:

I guess they're worried that a console with a HDD other than the one it came with could be HACKED.

Maybe. But they will check the console anyways...quite thoroughly actually. I had to make an appointment for the trade in and they told me I should bring an hour of my time ::shrug:

Anyway, I'll see my mate later today and ask him whether he'll swap HDDs with me :D

3 hours ago, Nolan said:

What a humorless employee. How hard could it be to play dumb on the HDD being 4 times larger and just allowing some lucky kid to get a happy bonus later on when they pick up an original model. 

I'd love it if I bought a second hand PS4 to find a 2TB HDD in it. :D The right kind of surprise in life!

I'm assuming that the PS4 just needs to be in its original state, so it has to have the original HDD. Sucks, but I can get why they wouldn't let you exchange it. 

My best friend wants to give it a go :) I'd be "losing" the 70 bucks I spent for the 2TB HDD two years ago but as I said...I'd rather give him the HDD than Gamestop.

Anyway. Anybody here who has experience with exchanging HDDs already in use? I've only put in a new one. Is it as easy as backing up whatever data you want, switching the HDDs, starting the PS4 in safe mode and reinitializing it with a USB stick that stores the PS4 update?
We wouldn't have to deactivate our PS4s as the primary system, right?

Edited by drahkon

I now have an original 500GB HDD in my PS4 and my best friend has the 2TB one :)

My PS4 is ready to be traded in. Now to wait two weeks...

• Like 1

Got to admit, the Spider-Man release date (September 7th) makes me a little worried for how Dragon Quest XI will initially perform.

I’m new to the series, but it seems like Square Enix has been trying to crack the West with the franchise for a while now, and it just hasn’t been working. This seems like the series’ biggest chance to do amazingly and finally conquer the West, but having Spider-Man come out only three days later just seems a little odd to me.

And, if I recall, Yakuza Kiwami 2 is only a week or so prior to DQXI, so it’s going to be interesting to see how those games initially sell.

15 hours ago, Julius Caesar said:

Got to admit, the Spider-Man release date (September 7th) makes me a little worried for how Dragon Quest XI will initially perform.

I’m new to the series, but it seems like Square Enix has been trying to crack the West with the franchise for a while now, and it just hasn’t been working. This seems like the series’ biggest chance to do amazingly and finally conquer the West, but having Spider-Man come out only three days later just seems a little odd to me.

And, if I recall, Yakuza Kiwami 2 is only a week or so prior to DQXI, so it’s going to be interesting to see how those games initially sell.

If the Spyro date is true, then that is another nail in the DQ coffin. S-E really need to move the game if they are to have a chance of surviving the Sept onslaught.

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If the Spyro date is true, then that is another nail in the DQ coffin. S-E really need to move the game if they are to have a chance of surviving the Sept onslaught.

Yeah, it’s a shame. They always seem to send them out with little chance to succeed (either little advertising compared to other games, or crowded out by other games), and use that as reasoning for not pushing the next game.

July and August are still empty for the PS4 besides Kiwami 2 at the end of the latter, and though I’m sure that’ll change after E3, DQXI (due to its duration and genre) seems much better suited for that window. September is already packed, COD and RDR2 are scheduled for October, we’re still waiting for release dates for massive games like Smash and Battlefield V, and I’m sure E3 will throw us a throw big curveballs.

So, if the problem is that the game won’t be ready at all until September, I don’t think that it can be delayed until later in the year without risking more sales; however, if it would be ready prior to the current release date, it would seem smart for S-E to move it forwards.

Looks like it was well worth it trading in my old PS4 and paying 100 bucks for a Pro. :peace: Even though I don't have a 4k TV the supersampling visibly improves image quality. Tried it with  Styx: Master of Shadows, Wolfenstein: The New Order and Fortnite.

Sony is at the top of their game this gen!

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 3

I always think I will really appreciate quality graphics but eh... I've got a 4k OLED TV and the Pro and I still don't really appreciate (or often notice) any of it.

On the other hand, in Skyrim VR, I keep piling on and piling on the mods trying to make it look better :p maybe it's just that when I'm sitting back from the TV I don't have a lot of appreciation for quality visuals.

Alright, Housemarque. I know you guys are done with arcade games and that decision made me sad, but it's time to prove that you're able to create an awesome game in a different genre :peace:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Started Bloodborne today. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, just seem to be roaming streets and murdering people for an unknown reason so far.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cube said:

Started Bloodborne today. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, just seem to be roaming streets and murdering people for an unknown reason so far.

Yep. You’ve got it figured out. Just keep doing that and wandering further and farther. 

Did it a few more times, got fed up and uninstalled it. Really not my kind of thing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cube said:

Did it a few more times, got fed up and uninstalled it. Really not my kind of thing.

This reminds me of @Fierce_LiNk's initial experience of the game.

21 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

This reminds me of @Fierce_LiNk's initial experience of the game.

Which then turned into one of his favourite games everrrr. :p

I shared the same experience, the start of the game was just so frustrating, I was ready to give up. But once you get past that starting level (and figure out how the game works), it really becomes such a great experience!

Speaking about Soul-type games, I am currently going through Nioh and am loving it. It can be super hard at times, but it feels so great when you finally beat a boss you were stuck on for ages! I reached The Ogress two days ago, and somehow almost beat her on my first try... but then every try after that I just couldn't get anywhere near killing her! It was so frustrating! So I decided to level up (well, 2 levels) and improve some of my armour and weapons, plus pay more attention to my dodging. And I finally managed to beat her last night. :D
My heart was beating so fast haha, these games are not good for my health. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 26/03/2018 at 11:57 AM, Fierce_LiNk said:

Please don't tempt me to do the same. :D

Out of curiosity, how long do we think the PS4 will keep going for? It's been going for nearly 5 years. 

How long did PS2 keep running alongside PS3? Sony were in some parts their own competition at first, given the PS2 seemed to be such a ubiquitous console for folks. For me PS4 surely has at least 2-4 more years, maybe with a cheap switch thrown in alongside. It feels quite future proof to me tbh.

On 20/04/2018 at 11:11 AM, drahkon said:

Alright, Housemarque. I know you guys are done with arcade games and that decision made me sad, but it's time to prove that you're able to create an awesome game in a different genre :peace:

Shame it might be BR game as that seems so much of all the rage now, but I have a potentially misplaced faith in Housemarque to manage Something Interesting* that it'll hopefully have that hook they've managed to work into their games...

33 minutes ago, Eenuh said:

Which then turned into one of his favourite games everrrr. :p

I shared the same experience, the start of the game was just so frustrating, I was ready to give up. But once you get past that starting level (and figure out how the game works), it really becomes such a great experience!

Speaking about Soul-type games, I am currently going through Nioh and am loving it. It can be super hard at times, but it feels so great when you finally beat a boss you were stuck on for ages! I reached The Ogress two days ago, and somehow almost beat her on my first try... but then every try after that I just couldn't get anywhere near killing her! It was so frustrating! So I decided to level up (well, 2 levels) and improve some of my armour and weapons, plus pay more attention to my dodging. And I finally managed to beat her last night. :D
My heart was beating so fast haha, these games are not good for my health. :p

I'm playing through it at the moment as well and I'm in love. I think I love the gameplay more than Dark Souls/BB but I do miss the world design of those games. The mission structure is cool but I miss the hugely connected world of Bloodborne.

Definitely agree about the sense of accomplishment you get from beating a boss. The Giant Centripede...god damn. I think I lost about a litre of water through sweat during that fight. Felt so relieved when I finally took him down.

17 minutes ago, Rummy said:

How long did PS2 keep running alongside PS3? 

I could be wrong, but wasn’t production running until the very end of 2012/start of 2013 for the PS2? So around six years?

• Like 1

Was playing God of War on Monday evening, sounded like my PS4 was going to take off.  So yesterday, i took it apart and cleaned out the majority of the dust that had accumulated on the fan.  Seems to have worked, it sounds less like a jet engine now.

1 minute ago, Jimbob said:

Was playing God of War on Monday evening, sounded like my PS4 was going to take off.  So yesterday, i took it apart and cleaned out the majority of the dust that had accumulated on the fan.  Seems to have worked, it sounds less like a jet engine now.

Yeah, mine was doing the same, although I never bothered to take it apart and give it a good dusting. I really should as i've had the thing for a long time now and it's probably rammed with dust.

People always mention the dust thing (and I’m not saying it doesn’t contribute to the loud fan noise) but I’m pretty sure a lot of the cases of “jet engine” PS4 systems is more likely down to Sony just skimping on the thermal paste.

I’m pretty sure my PS4 was loud from day 1, right out of the box, no dust at all. :hehe: 

Oh well, can’t play the game that made it loudest anymore (The Tomorrow Children :() and probably won’t be getting God of War, so I’m not too fussed now. ::shrug: Hopefully they pay a bit more attention to this issue on the PS5.

People always mention the dust thing (and I’m not saying it doesn’t contribute to the loud fan noise) but I’m pretty sure a lot of the cases of “jet engine” PS4 systems is more likely down to Sony just skimping on the thermal paste.
I’m pretty sure my PS4 was loud from day 1, right out of the box, no dust at all. :hehe: 
Oh well, can’t play the game that made it loudest anymore (The Tomorrow Children ) and probably won’t be getting God of War, so I’m not too fussed now. ::shrug: Hopefully they pay a bit more attention to this issue on the PS5.
I think it's more that loud noise is just annoying, whereas the consequences of lack of cooling will be financially damaging for them.