NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Picked up steelbook Fallout 5 for 9.99 from the GAME sale - always been interested in the series but never sure if if like it. With £6 on my GAME card it came to 3.99 so I figured at that price it's worth a try!  

At that price I doubt it.

#banter

Edited by dwarf
  • Like 1

Oops :laughing:

whats everyone's opinion on No Mans Sky? I've always been interested in it, I know it got a lot of backlash, was that justified? Or was it more to do with overhyping it and getting disappointed?

I ask cause it looks pretty and it's like £10 at CEX 

I enjoyed it for what it is. If you don't have any high expectation of it I'd say go for it. It is a good game.

• Like 1

Its definitely worth £10 I think. Especially with all the extra stuff they added, although I haven't played it since all these updates.

• Like 1

I enjoyed NMS from release but it has improved a lot with the updates, and another huge free one is going to drop very soon. 

• Like 1

I haven't tried any of the major updates but I did enjoy my time with NMS, even in its original form. I'm sure I'll probably go back to it some day to see what they've added.

• Like 1

So apparently I don't want to save money anymore: Bought a new LG OLED TV because its the 2016 model and it's fast going out of stock everywhere with the availability of the way too expensive 2017 models. Anyways, because of that I had to get a ps4 pro (14 day return policy on the tv so need to make sure the high end stuff works as expected). So now I have to go through my old ps4 library and delete all the games I don't play (and will most likely never play to be honest). 

I want to transfer everything over from the old to the new PS4 via the Ethernet transfer method. I have managed to whittle down my current installation of games to 1.02TB in my 2TB hard drive.

Have any of you guys been through this process? How was it? Does it transfer everything across?

How much actual space do you have available out of the 1TB drive?

Is the drive fast or should I replace it with my old 2TB drive? The Ps4 pro drive is faster than the base ps4 drive while my 2TB drive felt slower than the base version. 

1 hour ago, Josh64 said:

whats everyone's opinion on No Mans Sky? I've always been interested in it, I know it got a lot of backlash, was that justified? Or was it more to do with overhyping it and getting disappointed?

I really like it. It's quite a "passive" game in that you can spend as much or as little time as you want playing it. I'm glad that they're bringing more content to it, so you're getting a better game now than the one that was released at launch. For that price, you may as well.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, after getting into MineCraft last year I have really been searching for more chill out games like that so I'll definitely pick it up! 

• Like 1

Woah. Accidentally went to the first page/post. A rumor about dropping the Dualshock controller....ha. 

Shitcanned Crash Remake. Going to trade it in soon. I just don't think it's good and don't enjoy playing. 

Alternatively picked up Cryptark and Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus. Both currently on sale. 

Cryptark is a rougelikeun which you're a salvage team going through derelict ships. The ships still have active systems though. Bit of resource management and plenty of action. Fun game. 

Chronicles of Teddy was dirt cheap so I went ahead and bought it. It's a sidecrolling pixelart aRPG. Sorta Zelda (opening scene has a Zelda 1 poster...and Goku vs Vegeta figures) inspired I think. I'd say it's worth looking at though. 

Edit: forgot I also gave Life is Strange a quick try. I hate the protagonist. She is obviously brain damaged. A couple things annoyed me, what broke me was when she refers to Victoria making fun of her.

For fucks sake the teacher asked her a question she didn't know the answer, the teacher straight up said she should know it and then Victoria gave the correct answer. How the fuck is knowing the answer making fun of her?! Fuck that game and it's piss poor writing. 

Edited by Nolan

There are two things that really grind my gears with the PS4.

First being that you have to download each game to the system and you never have sodding space as a result!

Second is having to wait an absolute fucking age for anything to download!

It's slower than the sodding WiiU was! The Switch and XBO download stuff so quickly in comparison.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kav said:

First being that you have to download each game to the system and you never have sodding space as a result!

It's slower than the sodding WiiU was! The Switch and XBO download stuff so quickly in comparison.

My PS4 doesn't take too long for downloads (~30GB for Horizon Zero Dawn took 20 minutes in total for both download and install) after I finally fitted an Ethernet cable and changed my DNS to Google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4. 

And, despite having a 1TB model, I cleaned up any games I didn't plan on revisiting within the next 6 months by deleting them, which relieved some 200GB or so! 

PS4 downloads quicker when in sleep mode as opposed to running. It's stupidly by design. 

And I'm almost certain that disc based games install from the disc. At least in my experience they all have. The drive is actually loud as hell during install from disc and silent the rest of the time. 

You can delete local data for old games right, without losing the save data?

38 minutes ago, bob said:

You can delete local data for old games right, without losing the save data?

Yeah I'm pretty sure they are in different locations in the systems memory management.

What is the point of disc games if they automatically download to the hard drive? Do they perform better when loading from both disc and hard drive? Or is it just a glorified instillation disc these days?

I have No Mans Sky a whirl, it was ok on my first playthrogh, I enjoyed collecting and crafting stuff for my ship to go on my initial space travel but then when I arrived at another world to do the exact same thing I wasn't sure how much longer it would grab me for.

it also seemed to perform pretty terribly, when entering a new planets atmosphere the loading wasn't subtle /at all/, huge mountains and structures were popping into place right in front of me, I'd have thought they'd try to hide that at least a little bit with fog/clouds etc.

on the ground things looked even worse with 2D N64 type bushes all over the place and then the game eventually just crashed as I was chasing some creature.

That was all before the update had installed though so I decided to cut it some slack. On my second playthrough after the update everywhere looked a lot nicer and the game didn't crash. It's not bad if a bit slow, I'm just starting to wonder how many things I can make? If I can start setting up a base then I'll get into it but if it's just a case of constantly collecting materials for my ship then I don't see myself playing for long. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

What is the point of disc games if they automatically download to the hard drive? Do they perform better when loading from both disc and hard drive? Or is it just a glorified instillation disc these days? 

I think it's down to better performance, quicker to read off a hard disk rather than a disc. 

• Like 1

At the very least disc installations should be faster than downloading the entire game. But yeah they're basically installation discs/copy protection as then you need the disc to play. 

Hopefully none of them decide to start going the PC method of literally just having a link on the disc to the steam (PSN in this case) download link. 

On 01/07/2017 at 11:15 AM, Josh64 said:

Oops :laughing:

Hey! Just a note about NMS, it currently has a pretty huge ARG going on, hinting at a huge update very soon.

I recommend anyone looking at it, or who has it to check out r/nomansskythegame

Hello Games contacted 16 forum mods, and sent out some cassette tapes (7 or 8 of the 16) these tapes were ran through a spectrograph showing the word portal!

there has also been a live file drop in New York and in London (last weekend) - its all linked to the wakingtitan.com website.

Very interesting stuff and a lot of fun to be involved in!

• Like 2

Myself and @Mike1988uk are currently on a PS4 splurge and finally completing Resident Evil 5 platinum that we started this time last year :heh: (my fault due to getting a second job which took all my time...) We've been discussing the PS4 Pro. 

Both of us got 4k TV's last year so we're all set if we did get one, but just wondering if anyone on here did the upgrade and if you thought it was worth it? 

Reviews just seem to say that it's a decent if not a must have upgrade, but the additional memory would be welcomed and there are some pretty solid deals around now that would interest us. 

Anyone buy one and regret it?! 

On 7/3/2017 at 9:32 PM, Kav said:

I tend to leave my PS4 in sleep mode, and download anything that needs downloading whilst i'm in work.  Sometimes i bring my Vita in and install the system updates if needs be.

Your PS4 Trophies Will Now Sync Lightning Fast

PS4 PlayStation 4 Trophies Sony 1

Trophy syncing on the PlayStation 4 has always been pretty fast – especially compared to the PlayStation 3, where we’d honestly often go and make a cup of tea while it did its work – but Sony’s improved it overnight. We’ve just tested it out, and rather than the five to ten second delay that it used to take to sync, your gongs will now be uploaded to the Japanese giant’s servers in a second or less.

In the grand scheme of things, this isn’t a particularly meaningful update, but it’s honestly nice to see the platform holder recognise an area that could be improved – and actually, y’know, enhance it. Are there any other little niggles like this that you reckon the manufacturer could refine? Nitpick in the comments section below.

• Like 3