NEurope
Retro_Link

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Look like you have to use Xbox Live ID on Switch in order to play with Window 10 and Xbox One players on Minecraft. I won't be thrilled if I was asked to make a Xbox Live ID account so I can play with other players from different console.

Mojang said you could do that, not that you had to, from what I read :)

Sony's utter bullshit excuse for no cross-platform play is called out brilliantly here...

[tweet]875283922543923200[/tweet]

Sony's utter bullshit excuse for no cross-platform play is called out brilliantly here...

[tweet]875283922543923200[/tweet]

I seen this morning. The PR battle this E3 has been hilarious. Surprisingly Reggie seems to have avoid saying anything dumb this year. Jim Ryan on the other hand....

W6YDggZ.png

You should read the Gamecentral interview with Phil Spencer. They get him against the ropes when they talk about games not running at 60fps. I love their interviews. They seem to be one of the few outlets who aren't afraid to ask the hard questions and grill the guys when they try to dodge stuff.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Its amusing to see how much bile MS and Phil seem to be flinging in all directions this e3. Alot of deflection.

Me thinks the response to the new hardware hasn't quite hit the mark they were hoping. Due to their own decisions.

Edited by Choze

If Xbox sales weren't in the tank, they wouldn't be pushing through cross-play so hard which makes all this Microsoft 'sincerity' reek.

If Xbox sales weren't in the tank, they wouldn't be pushing through cross-play so hard which makes all this Microsoft 'sincerity' reek.

Totally, but then this is just how the PR game is played. Microsoft have taken advantage of the position Sony is in, just as Sony took advantage of Microsoft's cock ups during the Xbox One reveal.

The Rocket League developers had this to say about the cross play situation.

“I understand that stance. We want to take care of our players. But from our perspective, if PlayStation already allows cross-network with PC, which is the least regulated of any of the partners, then in theory, having Xbox and Switch in there should be fine. They’re a lot more regulated. From our perspective that concern is already handled. That’s taken care of. Our dream is that true cross-network play — we want it on all the platforms. It’s very important to us, for multiple reasons. One, you can have faster matchmaking. The bigger the pool, the faster the matchmaking. It benefits everybody. Two, you get better quality opponents. In a bigger pool you have better people who are closer to your location.”

When discussing the game with Nintendo."The first question that I asked was, cross-network play is very important to us, will you support cross-network play?"

Nintendo's response? "We'll support cross-network play, no problem." (I should emphasize that those were Jeremy's words, not Nintendo's).

Just for the record, i'm not bothered in the slightest about all of this cross play stuff. It doesn't really effect me, but I do find the whole situation very interesting to sit back and watch.

Totally, but then this is just how the PR game is played. Microsoft have taken advantage of the position Sony is in, just as Sony took advantage of Microsoft's cock ups during the Xbox One reveal.

The Rocket League developers had this to say about the cross play situation.

Just for the record, i'm not bothered in the slightest about all of this cross play stuff. It doesn't really effect me, but I do find the whole situation very interesting to sit back and watch.

Again it is absolute bile.

This is coming from the company that still actively blocks other PC users from playing with Windows 10 store users as well as Xbox users.

Which Phil himself is responsible for. He needs to look at his company first. Their record on this issue is pathetic to say the least much like his claims about offering exclusives and exclusive content. Turns out even these aren't the only things he is a hypocrite about.

The price is a genuine shock but flailing everywhere isn't going to make things better.

Edited by Choze

sLl2V0w.png

Funny considering he is completely clueless about everything.

• Like 1

Release date: August 15th

Release date: August 29th

Two more games I need...

• Like 1

sLl2V0w.png

Funny considering he is completely clueless about everything.

His comment on indies was another facepalm moment, probably even worse than his cross play comments. It does sound like Sony from 2006 again.

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That's a parody account.

Not sure if you're referring to my post or Choze's but I was talking about Jim Ryan. Funny parody tweet though.

Ah okay fair enough. I know that account has caught some of us out before as it is quite good. :peace:

(And was referring to both)

That's great news about Cities Skylines, I've seen lots of great videos and gif's of peoples creations on Reddit and stuff. It seems like the kinda game I could get lost in for hours. 

As for me, I saw Ape Escape 2 and Everybody's Tennis were on offer (£3ish each) so decided to give them both a whirl as both are series I've always meant to get into but never got around to it. Haven't played Ape Escape yet but had a couple of hours on Tennis and it was great, I'll have to check out if there's any modern versions with online and all that stuff. 

Still desperately waiting on Night Trap, does anyone know the situation on its release? And is there anything else similar right now from a live action perspective, I've had a look around but not come across anything and I'm still fairly new to the PS4 so not sure what developers to look out for. 

I seriously miss the days when every game on XBLA had a free demo. I think there's plenty of digital games I would pick up if I could just try them first to be sure.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Shorty said:

I seriously miss the days when every game on XBLA had a free demo. I think there's plenty of digital games I would pick up if I could just try them first to be sure.

Ah those were the days, plus when you downloaded the demo, you were effectively downloading the full game, then if you decided that you wanted to buy, it was just a case of buying the unlock and continuing to play as normal with no interruptions. :)

It was a really good component of the service from what I remember, the only thing I won't miss is the download times on the games at the time, not so much of an issue then but back in the early days, a few hundred MB took what seemed like forever, now we live in an age where just an update can eat as much space as a GB or more. :blank:

But yes, demo's should be a key component of any modern digital storefront for all games, as standard and I don't understand why it isn't unless it has just become more of a complicated process somehow. ::shrug:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

But yes, demo's should be a key component of any modern digital storefront for all games, as standard and I don't understand why it isn't unless it has just become more of a complicated process somehow. ::shrug:

They aren't standard because publishers/ shareholders erroneously believe that demos are lost sales. They don't even take quality into the equation, they just see that games with demos don't sell, must be because the person got the full experience they wanted from that half hour. 

There use to be a more comprehensive article I believe but I can't find it but this quote kind of makes the point.  

Francis explained that his experiment in making a game was so profitable that he'll stick to his guns and always release free demos for his games. "I didn't let anyone pay for Gunpoint until I was ready to put a free demo out, so everyone would have a way to make sure it ran okay on their system and that they liked it before giving me any money," he explained, despite his industry friends advising against this. "I have no idea if and how much the pre-release demo hurt Gunpoint's sales, but it doesn't matter now - that's how I want to treat people, and the amazing support for Gunpoint means I can afford to."

From here, just a small blurb

People told him don't release a demo you'll lose sales. He's an outlier but he's demo gained him sales. 

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

Yeah, so there's always the other side to it where a demo can help the case of a game, especially if it's an unproven potential new franchise.

But I can understand some of the larger companies not bothering, to be fair unless a demo comes out significantly before a games general release - say a month or two - I tend not to bother if it's a game I know I'll be buying, though it could still be useful for others who are unsure.

The main demo's I tend to download are for games such as Monster Hunter where they provide a set amount of different pre-made characters with classes to try out in addition to having a few monsters to hunt, just to get a feel for the game.

I feel like the latest Monster Hunter World could do well from having a similar demo, while things such as yearly update titles - shooters, sports etc - I can understand why it wouldn't be worth the effort, aside from the obligatory multiplayer beta things.

For smaller arcade games though, there definitely is a case to be made for them, especially as you have a lot of Kickstarter games these days, the devs tend to periodically give out demo's so you can see how the game is progressing, again a different situatution but there is a place for demo's.

If there was suddenly a demo from E3 such as Sonic Mania suddenly made available to play, right now, I would be on it like a shot. :D

Wish Inside or The Witness would go on offer, I skipped picking both of them up when they last were which was a mistake.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ashley said:

Inside is in the steam sale at the moment isn't it?

Idk, this is the PS4 thread though :p

43 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Idk, this is the PS4 thread though :p

Yes but I believe you have a PC too.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Yes but I believe you have a PC too.

You can't prove that.