N-Europe

Assassin's Creed (December 2016)

Retro_Link

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/09/michael-fassbender-cast-in-assassins-creed-movie

Michael Fassbender Cast in Assassin's Creed Movie

Prometheus star will also help produce the adaptation.

Michael Fassbender will star in Ubisoft's upcoming Assassin's Creed film.

According to Variety, the acclaimed actor has been cast as "the franchise's iconic hooded hero". But of course, the series has featured several hooded heroes, from Altair to Ezio to Connor. If the film sticks closely to the chronology and storyline of the games, it's likely that Fassbender will take the role of Altair or Desmond (or maybe both).

"Michael Fassbender was our first choice," said Jean-Julien Baronnet, CEO of Paris-based Ubisoft Motion Pictures. "Michael is an extremely smart, talented, versatile and committed actor."

With roles in critically-acclaimed movies like Shame and blockbusters such as X-Men: First Class and Prometheus, Fassbender has quickly established himself as one of the most in-demand actors around, and his casting in the Assassin's Creed movie sends out a strong signal of intent by the recently-founded Ubisoft Motion Pictures. The film will also be produced by Fassbender's own company, DMC Film.

Ubisoft was originally in talks with Sony Pictures to develop the franchise, but negotiations broke down last autumn. Ubisoft has since been developing the property independently to retain greater creative control. It's an approach it's also taking with other key properties, such as Splinter Cell. But once the film has a director and writer attached, the publisher is willing to speak with studios.

"We're open to re-discuss with the key studios once the production package is finalised," Baronnet added. "Whatever the financial model, Ubisoft Motion Pictures will limit its risk investment."

Certainly is a strong signal of intent that they're serious about the movie!

It's one franchise that could work really well as a film. I would like to see the digital "haze" and other digital effects in the film.

I don't see this happening, but I would love to see this with completely different characters: No Desmond, no Altair, no Ezio, no Connor. Perhaps if one is in a similar setting, have a cameo, but just that.

Give it new characters and a new story and set it in the same continuity as the games. The franchise is more than flexible enough to allow for it.

I hope they base it on Revelations. The plot was amazing in that game. :o

I honestly don't care much about the story in the Assassin's Creed series. The Altaïr/Ezio stuff is boring and is all blah blah blah all the time, while the present-day stuff just gets stupider and more convoluted in every game.

And they unceremoniously killed off Kristen Bell and then revealed that she was evil all along in a piece of $10 DLC.

It could make for a visually impressive movie, though.

What happened in Revelations? I erased as much of it as possible from my mind.

Diddly-squat, which is what was so amazing.

Ezio spends the entire game searching for the keys to Altaïr's secret library, finally finds them and gains access, then decides he doesn't actually want what he finds in the library, so he could just have stayed home.

Well, there's also another message for Desmond, but it just regurgitates information from Assassin's Creed 2, so I guess they felt the need to repeat themselves since Desmond's spent two games just spinning his wheels.

The only new information was that Desmond needed to go to America, but when he wakes up from his Animus coma he's already there, so it's not like telling him that did any good.

I was kind of hoping my favorite franchise wouldn't get a movie. Maybe they won't bastardize it too much but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

It's a new film studio working closely with the game developers.

So it has a much better chance than normal at not sucking.

Since Ezio is probably the most associated character with AC I could imagine them doing something with him. It could easily stand up by itself if it's just a standard 'take down a villain and everything wraps up nicely' affair. It doesn't necessarily have to complement the game story.

I'm interested in how they portray the Animus in it, whether they make it look like some sort of Matrix white gun room as they build it and how you still see artefacts of the Animus while the main character is in it.

They could just make a super budget film with the guy from mega64 for a laugh.

I don't think you're looking at this objectively enough.

Ubisoft don't consider the whole concept they've built the game around as "the Animus bullshit". So I would be very surprised if it doesn't plant a flag in the present and explore the game's entire concept of cross-generational Assassins. Especially when both Altair and Ezio have completed their journey only to have it clearly explained to them that they are little more than a stepping stone in a much bigger story.

Unless Ubi really don't believe in their source material enough, this movie will definitely contain:

• Scenes in the present
  • The Animus
  • Artifacts
  • Aliens

And if they don't want to throw people off like they did with Indy 4, it would probably be best to be transparent about at least the first 3 from the first trailer.

It's possible that it's a standalone side story between the events of Revelations and AC3 that doesn't necessarily need to be watched before playing AC3. They knew where they needed to go according to Desmond at the end of the last game, so perhaps on the way they encounter some sort of Templar antagonist insistent on fucking his shit up, requiring use of Altair/Ezio to dig up the facts on him and finish him.

• 3 years later...

I dunno why people don't like it. There's only one shot in that trailer I don't like which is when someone stabs two people at once, they bounce away completely unrealistically, hope that shot is tidied up before the end. The music did well bridging the present with the past. The stunts looked ace. The leap of faith at the end gives me chills.

Much better without the hideous music.

It's more just a bad choice of song as it doesn't fit the theme of the film, although I actually think the second half of the OG trailer is rather brilliant and has better highs than the edited version.