N-Europe

Football Season 2012/2013

Dog-amoto

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3tec30.jpg

Tottenham would be out of the Champions league fight without him.

ZZZZzzzzzzz. Weird that we kept a clean sheet, I guess our defence did nothing...

Obvioulsy he's a big player, but this one man team is ridiculous. We've been battling for top 4 for the past few season, he's only turned it on like this this season; there's always SOMEONE, last year it was probably Modric and VDV, even Ade. We've been top 4 most of the season yet people keep telling me he's only had half of the season, so who was it beore that? Defoe was our top goalscorer , him? Always someone.....

Anyways, exciting times, let's hope Man u absolutely smash Chelsea to smithereens!!! This puts Arsenal in a great position as Chelsea Spurs are dropping points, meaning our game in hand doesn't matter and Arsenal are in control of their destiny. Still think Wigan Newcastle are two very very difficult games for goons, especially the way they're playing. Also A V villa and H v Everton is hard for Chelsea. Insane!!!

ZZZZzzzzzzz. Weird that we kept a clean sheet, I guess our defence did nothing...

Obvioulsy he's a big player, but this one man team is ridiculous. We've been battling for top 4 for the past few season, he's only turned it on like this this season; there's always SOMEONE, last year it was probably Modric and VDV, even Ade. We've been top 4 most of the season yet people keep telling me he's only had half of the season, so who was it beore that? Defoe was our top goalscorer , him? Always someone.....

Anyways, exciting times, let's hope Man u absolutely smash Chelsea to smithereens!!! This puts Arsenal in a great position as Chelsea Spurs are dropping points, meaning our game in hand doesn't matter and Arsenal are in control of their destiny. Still think Wigan Newcastle are two very very difficult games for goons, especially the way they're playing. Also A V villa and H v Everton is hard for Chelsea. Insane!!!

I know what you're getting at, but I think the essential point here is that without Bale, Spurs would not be pushing for a top 4 finish. Can you really do the same with Chelsea or Arsenal - just remove one player and all of a sudden they're not a top 4 side? Man United have had a similar 'problem' this season, without Van Persie I find it quite likely they wouldn't have won the title.

Granted there's usually a distinct 'best player in the team' with a lot of clubs, it's just particularly pronounced with Spurs this season. I don't think last year you had such a player, possibly reflected in the fact that you list 3 possible candidates.

I was expecting us to lose 2 or 3-nil today. United don't give a shit because the league is won, Chelsea are still going for top 4, so expected us to get battered. We were dire and I can't complain at that result.

I was hoping you'd at least put up a fight. Fergie's rotating for shits and giggles.

I was hoping you'd at least put up a fight. Fergie's rotating for shits and giggles.

We did about the same for the Arsenal game. Although, in fairness to Fergie, the team lineup was still a good/strong one. The players themselves just didn't play well. Anderson and Cleverley should have played better to stake a claim for next season, but they both looked leggy due to not playing.

Anderson's got a better chance starting Weight Watchers than for United next season.

_67431980_oscar_anderson_getty.jpg

It's a shame as he looked bright earlier in the season. Unfortunately, I think it's time to cut our losses and sell him off now. He's not going to start many games and at his age he should be starting more often than he has been. Also, too injury prone and too inconsistent.

Liverpool 0-0 Everton is the full time result, though Distin had a goal disallowed and to be frank, I don't see why it didn't stand.

I think the ref saw it as a push on Carragher, bit soft though I agree.

But Suarez's winner in the last game was wrongly ruled offside, so maybe things evened themselves out on this occasion.

I know what you're getting at, but I think the essential point here is that without Bale, Spurs would not be pushing for a top 4 finish. Can you really do the same with Chelsea or Arsenal - just remove one player and all of a sudden they're not a top 4 side? Man United have had a similar 'problem' this season, without Van Persie I find it quite likely they wouldn't have won the title.

Granted there's usually a distinct 'best player in the team' with a lot of clubs, it's just particularly pronounced with Spurs this season. I don't think last year you had such a player, possibly reflected in the fact that you list 3 possible candidates.

I don't know, I just don't think so. Big players obviously have big impact, but Man U would have easily still won the league without van persie this year, someone else would have just scored a few more goals. Same with us and Bale I reckon. It was defoe banging them in at the beginning of the season, he dropped off, Bale stepped up.

We obviously wouldn't be doing quite as well, but you CAN say that about any time. Arsenal without Corzola, Liverpool without Suarez, Chelsea without Mata. All had massive impact on their teams.

Well that win for Chelsea means Spurs have to win on Wednesday to take the upper hand over us in the race for that last place. Will be tense times.

Huh, race for the last place? I think Arsenal are the ones who need to be slightly worried. Is spurs win then Arsenal are 5th and have to rely on Spurs or Chelsea to drop points. All doable obviously, but not good at all.

Exciting though :)

I don't know, I just don't think so. Big players obviously have big impact, but Man U would have easily still won the league without van persie this year, someone else would have just scored a few more goals. Same with us and Bale I reckon. It was defoe banging them in at the beginning of the season, he dropped off, Bale stepped up.

We obviously wouldn't be doing quite as well, but you CAN say that about any time. Arsenal without Corzola, Liverpool without Suarez, Chelsea without Mata. All had massive impact on their teams.

Although it's impossible to know for sure, the title race would have been much closer at least. If Man City had managed to get Van Persie, I think they would have won.

Yeah there is usually one player who stands out, I'm just saying that it's more so with Spurs. The team often looks bereft of creativity without him and I think it would hurt much more to lose Bale than it would hurt Arsenal/Chelsea to lose Cazorla/Mata. Having said that, Arsenal have done alright without Van Persie, who held a similar status last season.

Not to say your other players are bad by any means obviously. I'm curious, what's the general opinion of Lloris since he joined?

Huh, race for the last place? I think Arsenal are the ones who need to be slightly worried. Is spurs win then Arsenal are 5th and have to rely on Spurs or Chelsea to drop points. All doable obviously, but not good at all.

Exciting though :)

I think Chelsea are gonna get a spot, I just have a feeling they will no matter the midweek result which would mean down to our clubs. The tense times comment was aimed at myself, but at the same time it is kind of exciting

Unlucky @Blade I really hope you can win that league outright next season to end your playoff heartbreak.

The mighty Yeovil town are 90 mins away from the championship, how crazy does that sound?

Mate to be a Yeovil fan must be amazing right now. Atmosphere for playoffs is fantastic. It has never been great for us though after full time.

Enjoy it. Im hoping you go up now.

Personally, I cant see how you can be Young Player of the Year when you've been playing in the league for six years. Should go to someone who has made an impact in their first or second season, and should be limited to under 21s. I would say he probably does deserve the award, as he's pretty much single handedly got Spurs to where they are this season.

Here's an interesting piece on the BBC website about how reliant on the top scorer each team have been this season.

I'll just pick out a few:

Bale - 31.03% of Tottenham's goals, earning 24.59% of their points.

Suarez - 37.7% of Liverpool's goals, earning 17.65% of their points.

Van Persie - 29.79% of United's goals, earning 22.62% of their points.

Cazorla - 17.50% of Arsenal's goals, earning 7.94% of their points.

Ultimate one man team goes to Villa.

Benteke - 41.67% of Villa's goals, earning 38.24% of their points.

If you took away the top scorer's goals, United would still be first (-19 points), but Arsenal would be second (-5 points). Spurs would be down in sixth, but would have lost 15 more points without him.

Following on this one man team discussion, I was wondering whether you saw this the other week, @dazzybee? The BBC article I pulled the stats from is a very interesting read. Whether someone else would have stepped up instead isn't taken into account, but still, I think it does support the theory that Spurs have relied on Bale this season.

I hope Brentford win it personally. Their cruel fate to lose the last promotion spot makes me feel a win via the playoffs is deserved.

Yeah I had the same opinion last year when we went home from Wembley heartbroken.

Heartbroken is the word id describe myself after that defeat today. Cant see sheff utd getting anywhere now. It will be like what Leeds were...season after season in pub league

Following on this one man team discussion, I was wondering whether you saw this the other week, @dazzybee? The BBC article I pulled the stats from is a very interesting read. Whether someone else would have stepped up instead isn't taken into account, but still, I think it does support the theory that Spurs have relied on Bale this season.

Gonna step in as resident Spurs fan #2 and say we've definitely relied on him in attack. Not so much for the amount of goals but the goals themselves frequently coming from nowhere, in really tight games, right when we need them.

ibmU8346AbLNdD.gif

Week in week out.

I'd have thought that if Van Persie wasn't in the team for United someone like Hernandez could step up and be knocking in quite a few. Can't see same level of threat from Tommy Carrol or Sigurdsson (yet) to match Bale's. So I kind of agree.

But also I think it does a disservice to some players in that ignores the fact that teams have to defend too.. in particular Lloris, Vertonghen and Dawson have been fantastic at the back. Sandro was also a beast for us before he got injured, and Lennon has played well when he's been fit.

Psyched for Wednesday. Our defining match of the season. We'll probably win it and then lose to Stoke on sunday.

Wow. Sunderland draw with Stoke leaving three teams on 38 points at the bottom of the table. If Wigan win tomorrow they will join everyone on 38. Bum-tighteningly awesome!

I hope Wigan stay up...and Newcastle. And Norwich i suppose. So i guess i hope Sunderland go down.