N-Europe

Pikmin 3

Retro_Link

I think it looks fantastic. You can really tell it benefited the extra power of the Wii U buy the way they destroyed the wall, or putting together the bridge. They don't just break or appear in a cloud of dust, each individual piece of the bridge was carefully placed by the Pikmin.

Noticed a lot of fruit collecting in this game. Food shortage? Also there was a timer in the top right, unless that is just the time until sunset? Or it was challenge mode.

@Jonnas I noticed it too, they're are probably keeping it secret for now, although not exactly well hidden ;)

This guy.

miyamoto.gif

Amazing.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also slightly baffled by those who somehow claimed these graphics weren't "that impressive". Only slightly, though, as I really shouldn't be surprised by that sort of comment anymore.

Anyway, between this and the announcement that Tekken U is actually Tekken Tag 2 (+extra features), I now have two great reasons to get a Wii U.

This looks amazing. All the people whinging that the Wii U may not be 'truly next gen' need to see this game. How much better do people think games need to look?

Everything about this game just screams Nintendo and it's why I love them so much!

No it looks amazing. It will be amazing. But it's still just Pikmin. Doesn't look a mega version of it, rock pikmin seem to be like purple pikmin. If this game has 4 player online co op fair enough. But it looks like a mild upgrade of Pikmin. Not a bad thing as such...

And just because this game LOOKS incredible, it doesn't mean the Wii U won't be in the same position next ten when it can't handle Starwars 1313 and Watch Dogs...

I think it looks fantastic. You can really tell it benefited the extra power of the Wii U buy the way they destroyed the wall, or putting together the bridge. They don't just break or appear in a cloud of dust, each individual piece of the bridge was carefully placed by the Pikmin.

It was and it wasn't, the pieces the Pikmin pick up and throw are not the pieces that make up the bridge. They carry a piece and drop it but the bridge is a pre-determined structure and is not influenced by what the Pikmin is actually carrying - you can see the objects change shape. It's a nice effect if you aren't looking too closely but it's not anywhere near as clever as it appears.

It looked nice enough and you can see the effects the Wii and GC weren't capable of using without crippling the system's performance but texture quality aside, if you just go look at one of the Pikmin games being played on the Dolphin emulator, you won't notice a particularly big jump in quality. Yeah, things are slightly rounder, there is a couple more objects on screen but then a Wii dedictaed Pikmin could have more objects than the GC games and then you are just left with the increased resolution.

I'm not saying it doesn't look fun to play and that, it certainly seems a darn sight more interested than another 2D Mario game, but I can't help but feel Pikmin 3 was perhaps further along on the Wii before they decided to get it ready for Wii U and this is the result.

Edited by Captain Falcon

It was and it wasn't, the pieces the Pikmin pick up and throw are not the pieces that make up the bridge. They carry a piece and drop it but the bridge is a pre-determined structure and is not influenced by what the Pikmin is actually carrying - you can see the objects change shape. It's a nice effect if you aren't looking too closely but it's not anywhere near as clever as it appears.

Spoil sport :P

Yeah, Mario will be launch as it sells this'll come just after. Hilarious, just when we think it won't get any worse. So instead of having MORE games in the launch window, they just space out the few they have more... Oh Nintendo, you've absolutely lost the plot!! Better come out before xmas though!

Yeah, Mario will be launch as it sells this'll come just after. Hilarious, just when we think it won't get any worse. So instead of having MORE games in the launch window, they just space out the few they have more... Oh Nintendo, you've absolutely lost the plot!! Better come out before xmas though!

What are you on about with all this negativity?

There is no further information than we had yesterday. Mario is launch window, just like this. I have little doubt we'll have both Mario and Pikmin 3 on launch day

What are you on about with all this negativity?

There is no further information than we had yesterday. Mario is launch window, just like this. I have little doubt we'll have both Mario and Pikmin 3 on launch day

Just how I feel to be honest, Nintendo fluffed it. Mario will 100% be a launch game, they have said so, they just will. I'd imagine Wii Fit U and Nintendoland will also be launch games. They will hold some stuff back, I reckon Pikmin 3. Though maybe not, they need ONE 1st party game for the core gamer and this is it so you neve know.

Just how I feel to be honest, Nintendo fluffed it. Mario will 100% be a launch game, they have said so, they just will. I'd imagine Wii Fit U and Nintendoland will also be launch games. They will hold some stuff back, I reckon Pikmin 3. Though maybe not, they need ONE 1st party game for the core gamer and this is it so you neve know.

The launch details have not been finalised. Patience. If you want to bitch, then fine, but bitch when there is reason to. Don't bitch based on your own assumptions

The launch details have not been finalised. Patience. If you want to bitch, then fine, but bitch when there is reason to. Don't bitch based on your own assumptions

But its' based on what Nintendo have given to us, how it's presented it, past performance, hints in their interviews, it's not blind bitching, informed bitching :)

A few thoughts from a HUGE Pikmin lover!

Slightly underwhelmed when I first saw it, because it basically looks like Pikmin HD.

I was expecting some new type of art style and stuff.

That being said, I'm sure there will be enough new interesting content in there.

Fingers crossed for sweet online stuff here as well.

E3 gameplay.

Clearly shows how sweet this is looking and far beyond what the GC/Wii could do. My only gripe, and I think it's a big one, is that the textures on the floor and rest of the scenery appears to be straight off the GC games and totally flat and insipid.

It absolutely needs to be sorted out and bumpmapped, or whatever the hell technique it is modern tech uses these days to make textures pop. HD is all about textures, and one of Pikmin's main USPs is its setting.

Also, why did it take off-screen footage to show it in its true light? Have they suddenly enabled effects on the GPU or something? It's mental. Reminds me of the two versions of the Bird demo they ran last year... GRRRRRRRRR

Edited by madeinbeats

Loved the look of it. Pikmin in HD is basically what I wanted. I'm a bit confused as to which control scheme is best it seems like the wii remote actually works best. So I dunno. I'm itching to play me some Pikmin I did sell it when I was at uni but then rebought it and I cannot for the life of me find the second copy...I'll see how I feel in a week if I'm still really wanting to play it I'll pick it up and get it otherwise will wait for 3.

Fine rain? No way.

They'd have to be massive chunks of rain. Think the rain scene in A Bug's Life.

I don't know man, we must have seen examples of it done in some way in other games and I reckon the U would be capable of it. Would be nice though wouldn't it Cube, hey... :hmm: