N-Europe

Rumour: Sonic To Get A Reboot

Hero-of-Time

This information comes from an unnamed source and should be taken as speculation at this point.

- Sonic Team and Sega are looking to better monetize Sonic

- potentially “massive” and “total” reboot

- Sega and Sonic Team are “committed” to the reboot

- speed, platforming, and surreal environments will remain

- Sonic and Dr. Eggman's rivalry will continue

- both characters may undergo a makeover

- everything else is up in the air and may see radical changes, including Tails

- may birth a new universe and characters

- new gameplay methods and gimmicks

- zones would be massively expanded and become their own world

- zones feature individual levels masked as missions

- idea likened to Burnout Paradise

- includes a brand-new engine

- photo-realism is of no concern

- may aggressively pursue a collection model as part of the reboot

- targeting the young audience that enjoys physical collectibles

- may require physical emblems and collectibles to unlock special features

- SEGA inspired by Skylanders' success

- physical toys and collectibles may have an interactive component with a new cartoon series

- may offer classic characters in-game as DLC

Using a Skylanders approach is a no brainer, that thing was a surprising success. I'm shocked Nintendo haven't dabbled with it to be honest. They could make a killing if they incoporated something like the Skylanders collectibles into a Mario game.

If more and more games take the Skylanders route, I may just give up gaming...especially if the franchise I love takes it up. Sonic having it...meh.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that it seems to be a successful one. Pokemon is another franchise which I could see this business model working for...:laughing:

I like Sonic how it is now. Colours and Generations have made a great format for the games. The talk of Skylanders-like stuff makes me not excited for this.

I'm shocked Nintendo haven't dabbled with it to be honest.

The technology is being built right into the Wii U's controller.

I also wonder if this "reboot" is before or after the one they're currently making with Nintendo.

The technology is being built right into the Wii U's controller.

Ah yeah, I heard about Wii U's controller having an NFC chip as well. I can't remember whether it was rumour or confirmed though.

If they take the Skylander's approach for Sonic, I can't see myself being interested. It's quite a risky move going for a total reboot as I've always noticed most of the Sonic fans are the ones who grew up with him in the Megadrive days.

Maybe it'll be big in Japan, not too sure about the western markets though.

Maybe it'll be big in Japan, not too sure about the western markets though.

I thought Sonic was more popular in western markets - especially in the UK.

Exactly, in fact Sonic is so 'big' in Japan at the moment that Sega decided to remove all Sonic games from the Virtual Console in that region.

I dislike the idea of Sonic going the 'Skylanders' route, they need to focus on the core gameplay - which they were starting to do again - not pointless gimmicks! :nono:

Skylanders was lightening in a bottle, don't see it working again. I reckon cards are the way forward, especially with Pokemon. Though the problem with that is people can cheat and scan them online. Unless it uses the chip so y have to buy them.

As for figurines, I don't mind the idea as long as its purely Optional.

As for sonic,, bothered. Don't like the games really so any change will be good in my eyes.

I thought Sonic was more popular in western markets - especially in the UK.

Exactly, in fact Sonic is so 'big' in Japan at the moment that Sega decided to remove all Sonic games from the Virtual Console in that region.

It is, depending on demographic. If this rumour is true and they're aiming more at a younger audience then Japan has the Western market beat. That and Skylanders hasn't even set foot in Japan yet, something they're going to have compete very hard against in this market because it's been such a success.

Also, I think the reason that Sega is removing the games from the Wii store because of lack of popularity is bullshit. What I'm seeing in it is the fact that Nintendo is most likely going to make WiiWare compatible with the Wii U store, so Sega has decided to remove the Sonic games and replace them with the 'HD' versions the Xbox and Playstation has when the Wii U comes out to get some more sales.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if this starts happening to a lot of the Virtual Console titles.

Skylanders was a success?!!! It looked terrible!

I certainly wouldn't be interested in any collectables of any kind, so it would just be what ever the rest of the gameplay held, and if very little, well then it's simply a no buy!

I honestly don't see Sega starting again with a new image for Sonic... I think for their mascot it's too risky.

But then if Sega are in trouble finacially, maybe they'll risk it. Could be the make or break of Sega's future tbh!

It seems to mean "a new game for the first time in a little while" nowadays.
Mmm... that's more what Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 was. If they're following the Skylander model, then this time it will be something much more drastic i.e. a total reimagining of Sonic himself and his world. Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

If it was going on game sales alone, it'd be successful but not nearly as much as other franchises. But they're making a killing off of the merchandise, they even had a massive shortage of them in the run up to Christmas because it was much more successful than they imagined.

I can understand why Sega are doing this, as they're trying to create a new market for Sonic fans. For the younger fans, it will probably go down well.

But, this sounds like another shit idea that SEGA have had, and another one that is linked to the Sonic franchise. It's a shame because Colours looks really awesome and is going to be one of my purchases at some point. I finally thought that SEGA were getting their act together and were discovering how to make a great Sonic game again.

They should try it with a new IP or something. I know using a pre-existing popular one has the advantage of bringing the hardcore fanbase no matter what the shit they throw out, but if it goes wrong it'll alienate one of the two audiences. It's very risky, but there's a big payout if it goes right.

Why don't they try and bring Ristar back with it? A lot could have been done with that, it did span planets and had plenty of enemies and such and it's a cute little character to boot.

They should try it with a new IP or something. I know using a pre-existing popular one has the advantage of bringing the hardcore fanbase no matter what the shit they throw out, but if it goes wrong it'll alienate one of the two audiences. It's very risky, but there's a big payout if it goes right.

Why don't they try and bring Ristar back with it? A lot could have been done with that, it did span planets and had plenty of enemies and such and it's a cute little character to boot.

That would be the best thing to do. Make it into something new. But, we know SEGA, and they're still living off that Sonic name.

Anyway, needless to say I'm not going anywhere near it. I had a look at Skylanders and didn't like the concept or the game itself. Collecting Sonic figurines has the potential to be great, but it should be a separate thing. Not an integral part of a game.

I don't think there is much of a "hardcore fanbase" who would be put off by a bad game - Sega have pumped out some terrible stuff before so another one isn't going to change anyone's mind. So there isn't much alienating that they can do.

So they have a fanbase who would still be fans even if it did go wrong, and despite the franchise's problems it's still very much a household name. If anything, this would be the perfect franchise for a game like this - the only other franchise I can see it working really well is would be a Pokémon spin-off.

With 600/700/whatever figures to collect.

I don't think there is much of a "hardcore fanbase" who would be put off by a bad game - Sega have pumped out some terrible stuff before so another one isn't going to change anyone's mind. So there isn't much alienating that they can do.

So they have a fanbase who would still be fans even if it did go wrong, and despite the franchise's problems it's still very much a household name.

As much as I'd like to say that you're wrong, I can't. You're absolutely right.

I can't help but blame the fans who have gone out and bought these games, even if they know it's not a patch on the past Sonics.

I find it sad really. The megadrive games were immense. Then, it just seemed to suddenly start going wrong.

Billy Hatcher or nothing!!!! The figures could even come in little eggs.

Such a good idea! :D

Unfortunately, this is Sega and given recent cuts (and their attitude to Billy Hatcher doing poorly when released), Billy Hatcher is destined to sadly join Ristar as nothing more than a cameo character from now on. Just don't see them bringing him back, despite the game actually being great fun (although the camera wasn't great).

Trying to reboot Sonic ala Skylanders is just unnecessary. The games have progressively moved forwards lately and doing something like this, and bringing back old characters as well as bringing in a slew of new ones that no one will want, will just put them back at square one because it won't work in the same way that Skylanders did because it's a platforming franchise (Skylanders got away with it for being a sort of adventure title and was apparently pretty damn good despite looking awful).

Either do it as a new franchise or bring it back with Billy Hatcher or something.

I don't buy any of this for a second - the last rumour was called Sonic Dimensions where Sonic was split into 4 beings with their own stats and special moves and had multiplayer similar to Rayman Origins and New Super Mario Bros Wii but Takashi Iizuka (the guy in charge of Sonic nowadays) flat out claimed it was fake.

Sega also invested a lot of money into developing their Hedgehog Engine for Sonic Unleashed and improving it in Sonic Generations, there's no way they're gonna throw it all away for a new engine especially considering their recent losses.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but until I see something from Sega themselves I wouldn't pay attention to these rumours.