N-Europe

Shenmue HD

Happenstance

Shenmue 1, 2 HD to launch on PSN, XBLA - report

Sega is ready to release HD updates of cult Dreamcast classics Shenmue and Shenmue 2, according to a new report.

Shenmue HD and Shenmue 2 HD will be released on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade, Gamerzines claimed.

Indeed development of both titles has been finished for over a year, an anonymous source said. The hold up was due to Sega working out the future of the Shenmue franchise, apparently. "Namely, whether or not Shenmue 3 would ever see the light of day," said the report.

If true, Shenmue's HD revamp follows similar efforts with other cult Dreamcast games. Sega recently announced Jet Set Radio HD, due out this summer.

Eurogamer has asked Sega for comment.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-16-shenmue-1-2-hd-to-launch-on-psn-xbla-report

God I hope this is true. "Anonymous source" doesnt fill me with confidence though

I see.

With any luck they'll stick with, or at least have an option for, the Japanese voice track. The English dub was rubbish even at the time, so these days it'll be truly excruciating.

I hope they have both but if they gotta limit it then it better be English only! Bad voice acting only adds to the charm of old games :D

Was that off the back of the US not liking the first game I wonder?... so it's their fault we didn't get Shemue III :p

The Xbox version of Shenmue II had voiceovers! Great news!!

Hopefully we'll get that version of the game then, otherwise I might just get the first.

If it has voiceovers I can see myself enjoying the game much more second time around!

Hopefully if these are successful then Sega will finally see fit to release Shenmue III - they've blatantly been working on it at some point over the past decade - and assuming it's all coded correctly you could carry your save data on from the first two games straight onto the third as I believe you could carry data over from the first to the second on the DC so I don't see why not? :)

• 1 year later...
I'd have thought it would come to WiiU too considering the unprecedented partnership between Sega and Nintendo....

either way i'll buy it on whatever formats i can get it on

Hmm I don't know if the Wii U could handle Dreamcast graphics...

:heh:

• 5 months later...

'Shenmue' director to deliver postmortem lecture at GDC 2014

Yu Suzuki, the director of the original Shenmue game, will hold an hour-long session at Game Developers Conference 2014.

During the upcoming convention, the Japanese game designer will be delivering a Classic Game Postmortem on the iconic Dreamcast game, while PlayStation 4 lead system architect Mark Cerny will translate the presentation into English.

For the first time, Suzuki will lecture about the creation of Shenmue, beginning with its origin as a Virtua Fighter-based role-playing game on Sega Saturn.

Suzuki is currently president of his own studio, YsNet.

One of the designer's latest projects is arcade shooter Gan! Gan! Pirates, which was released in 2012 for mobile devices

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a534063/shenmue-director-to-deliver-postmortem-lecture-at-gdc-2014.html

Im going to keep holding onto that sliver of hope that because Cerny is going to be at this, it could mean some kind of Shenmue project for PS4.

• 3 years later...