Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Great Blackberry Crumble

flameboy

To the Tocco haters, I must add that I'm not really into the phone thing. I wanted something cheap and more current than my phone I have now (and believe me, if y'all are thinking "Why's he having the Tocco then?", let me just say I have a Samsung D900...oh yeah...I really do, haha). The only thing I do need the phone for is that I can change my sound settings to anything I want considering I can't hardly hear my phone at all (plus I wanted a touchscreen one and an app for YouTube!). :p

The problem is that the tocco has a terrible user experience. Plus if it's the version without the keyboard the scrolling is wrong. (Swipe up to scroll up swipe down to scroll down. Practically every touch screen phone works the opposite.)

The one that has the keypad works a bit better but can get seriously confusing sometimes when you need to switch between the keys and the touch screen. I would probably check a review before committing to buying it. How much are you putting down on it? I think a Samsung Galaxy Ace would be a much better purchase.

WiFi or mobile data?

Thread Starter:

It's only Blackberry Browser which goes through the Blackberry data centres, other browsers/apps should, in theory, work fine.

Maybe they both have iPhones? Would make it a lot easier just to use iMessage if they did.

Ah right cool. mayhaps will download opera again then in case this happens again. The blackberry browser was working through wifi not mobile.

It's back up again now but seems to be very sporadic gone from working fine to nothing again now (incidentally same time it stopped working yesterday()

Yeah people are reporting more errors with the server. I'd connect to WiFi if I were you and download another browser! WiFi will work fine for browsing but you still won't be able to use any BB services such as BBM!

Yeah even he likes of pingchat and liveprofile instant messengers don't seem to work without wifi. A second "crash" had defintely happened nothing happening again on phone, kinda major problems as my girlfriend desperately needed me for something and I've been at work none the wiser.

Blackberry users complain on Twitter of fresh crash

A few hours after Blackberry maker RIM said all services were "operating normally" users have complained of a new crash.

Twitter is full of angry users reporting renewed issues with their handsets and an inability to send messages and email.

The initial blackout saw Blackberry services across Europe, the Middle East and Africa disrupted.

Vodafone Egypt said it had seen partial disruption of services.

One tweeter summed up the mood of many: "Blackberry server down AGAIN?!!! you have got to be kidding me!!!!!"

Many called on the phone firm to "sort out" the problems and get the network running again.

The crash comes only a few hours after RIM had issued a statement which said all services were now "operating normally".

That blackout left millions of users without email, web browsing and messaging services following the crash around 11:00 BST on 10 October.

The cause is believed to be due to server problems at RIM's Slough data centre.

Details about what caused the stoppage are scant. In its statement RIM apologised for the inconvenience but gave no further information about the genesis of the problems.

Blackberry users around the world began reporting problems with their handsets mid-morning on 10 October and at 14:42 BST, Blackberry UK sent out a tweet which said: "Some users in EMEA are experiencing issues."

I never even realised there was an issue until my friend mentioned about bbm.

I very rarely use my phone now except for texting, it was such a life line a few months ago when I was all over the place, but as I can get ahold of most people without bbm and fb it's not a massive hassle.

Emails I'm still getting although they take a bit longer to come through, in 7 years of being with Orange, I can't really fault them for bb going down for a couple of days.

Heard many of the guys and gals at work swearing because the BBM was down again, after appearing earlier in the day. Don't have that problem myself, being a non-blackberry owner. It is surprising how much lives can be dependant on the internet, and how much we miss it when it isn't there.

I think Blackberry phones are a long-overdue fad. Pretty much the only thing the phones had going for them was Blackberry Messenger, and even that became obsolete with the rise of Whatsapp and the upcoming iMessenger for iPhone. RIM can't compete with the sort of stuff Apple provides; especially when you consider the type of advantage Apple's iOS devices have with the infinite range of apps in the App Store.

The selling point of Blackberry is not shiny, innovative features in the realm of hardware/apps, but security. They are much more secure than iPhones, which are apparently stupidly easy to hack into (apparent because I haven't tried it, but I don't doubt it). A lot of companies restrict their employees to using Blackberries only to protect their data/emails, too.

I haven't been affected by this. :grin:

Then it made me think, that means no one ever contacts me.

So maybe I have greater problems?

...but all of a sudden out of nowhere I got a text! :D I was like ooh I wonder who it's from?

It was orange informing me that the service was down.

The glimmer of hope in my eye turned into the saltiest tear as I realised the only friend I have in the world is an automated service.

I don't see the fuss with BBM. i've had a Blackberry for 2 years and never used BBM once. I don't see the point, having unlimited texts anyway.

Like I said before unlimited way to msg people in other countries, ideal for my girlfriend. In Canada her data plan is stupidly restrictive so these always on alternative multi smartphone platform IM apps aren't an option. BBM is "free" (you pay for your BIS services) and so a much better option for regular contact throughout the day.

Like I said before unlimited way to msg people in other countries, ideal for my girlfriend. In Canada her data plan is stupidly restrictive so these always on alternative multi smartphone platform IM apps aren't an option. BBM is "free" (you pay for your BIS services) and so a much better option for regular contact throughout the day.

I'm aware of how it works, I just meant I personally didn't have much use for it.

I have the 8520. Its fine, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have 3G though, just EDGE. It does its job for me though, which is texts/calls, whatsapp, BBM and the odd bit of Facebook.

Yeah that sounds alright. I'm with O2 prepay as well (in the Republic though), and I pay €20 (£17ish?) a month and get free texts, with €10 deducted from that for my data. I get 700MB but don't use anywhere near it.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I just have something in my mind telling me that what I would be getting is surely too good a deal for only £10 a month, but hopefully it all checks out :heh:

The worst thing is knowing that I'd have to slap down £130-£140 on the phone itself so I'd need to be sure that it's the right phone for me :eek:

You should both consider giffgaff. PAYG with monthly 'goodybags', £10 gives unlimited texts, data(no tethering) and 250 minutes. There's a few members around the forum here and if you order a sim through an existing member's link you both get a £5 credit. Only downside is remembering to order a goodybag each month(quite easy tho, just login to site and order). Their regular prices for calls text etc are pretty decent too.

Unfortunately its bringing out the incessant iPhone fans. "OH LOOK BBM IS DOWN LOLZERCOPTER!"

I've noticed that too, and find it quite peculiar to understand! Is there some longstanding rivalry between the two or something? Personally I'd say get Android anyway :p

You should both consider giffgaff. PAYG with monthly 'goodybags', £10 gives unlimited texts, data(no tethering) and 250 minutes. There's a few members around the forum here and if you order a sim through an existing member's link you both get a £5 credit. Only downside is remembering to order a goodybag each month(quite easy tho, just login to site and order). Their regular prices for calls text etc are pretty decent too.

You should look at Vodafone's 90 day contracts. For £15 you get either 600 (or 900) minutes, unlimited texts and a lot of data.

I've noticed that too, and find it quite peculiar to understand! Is there some longstanding rivalry between the two or something? Personally I'd say get Android anyway :p

The innately competitive nature of fanboys in any field really. Although the fact that upgrading to iOS5 seems to have been an insufferable ball ache was an amusing bit of karma.

The selling point of Blackberry is not shiny, innovative features in the realm of hardware/apps, but security. They are much more secure than iPhones, which are apparently stupidly easy to hack into (apparent because I haven't tried it, but I don't doubt it). A lot of companies restrict their employees to using Blackberries only to protect their data/emails, too.

This is the first time I hear about this, and I think it has to do with the fact that these phones are no longer marketed as business devices. Not a single ad or promotion mentions how secure the phones are (at least not in my region), and I haven't seen anyone tout why they should buy a more secure device in the first place.

This is the first time I hear about this, and I think it has to do with the fact that these phones are no longer marketed as business devices. Not a single ad or promotion mentions how secure the phones are (at least not in my region), and I haven't seen anyone tout why they should buy a more secure device in the first place.

Their security is what caused the problems as they run everything through a set of centralised servers so when that went wrong nothing was running.

They're definitely dominated by iPhones, Androids etc. as the average person doesn't use their phone for confidential business communication/data transfer, but they definitely are more secure, e.g. crazy encryption that governments can't break when they want to do investigations. Maybe they rely on advertising to corporations only and don't bother trying to beat iPhones when it comes to the general public? Not sure...

Their security is what caused the problems as they run everything through a set of centralised servers so when that went wrong nothing was running.

Then it wasn't a security issue (i.e. no one broke into the servers and took them down - unless that's what happened and it's being kept quiet), it was an technology issue (servers failed).

I hope I don't come across as terribly disasgreeable *cough* @Magnus :p. Just putting down what I know, don't even have a Blackberry so I could be wrong :) I love the new thread title.

Maybe they rely on advertising to corporations only and don't bother trying to beat iPhones when it comes to the general public? Not sure...

They've pretty much lost their status as a "business phone", and these days are very popular among chavs and the like.

Then it wasn't a security issue (i.e. no one broke into the servers and took them down - unless that's what happened and it's being kept quiet), it was an technology issue (servers failed).

He means that problems like browser and email wouldn't have been affected if it wasn't for the security system on the phones (as they wouldn't have to go through Blackberry's servers).