Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Cringe-worthy words or phrases

Ellmeister

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banter is often just a way for people to cover up their bullying. Blokey blokes aren't gonna admit they were kind of hurt by someone's teasing, and they're not allowed to be offended by it cos it was only BANTEEERRR.

And I'm gonna say it. "Gay" meaning stupid, unwanted, disgusting. I know not everyone who uses it is homophobic, I know lots of gay people use it, and I know lots of people like to mock those who find it offensive but I just kind of do.

I realise words change, language changes, but that is no excuse for using a word CLEARLY originating from homophobia. The word gay has meant a number of things, but it was specifically chosen by the homosexual community as it was a positive word. You can make it mean all you want, but for impressionable, closeted children... it can just be down-right harmful. I have non-homophobic friends and they were just describing everything as being gay. It's not even a good, descriptive word. It shows a lack of originality on your vocabulary.

Yep, words change. But it's so easy not to just join on a hateful bandwagon and use trendy, slang words like "gay", even if it doesn't offend you. Being gay is great! It should be used to describe things which are awesome.

The same goes for "retard".

Cringe!

I tend to say a lot of things that I cringe at.

MAYTE! Spot on. Lol. Innit bruv.

Deffo. Hehe.

Though seriously, I think bad use of english annoys me more than shit slang/shit words/shit shit. Half my vocab'd probs be cringeworthy, just like jay said, but honestly I could care less what you think about how I talk.

Also I like a bit of banter. Actual banter. Like good pub banter. Calling someone a knob and calling it banter simply is not, it's not a cringe phrase, it's just a total misappropriation and that annoys me more.

Banter is over-used in the South of England. When I was working in Brighton, one of my work-mates used to use it all the damn time. "That was great banter last night." "The banter was good." It wouldn't be as bad if it was used sparingly.

I hate the word "cunt", particularly when it's used by lager louts. It's vile. That's probably the desired effect, but it's still horrible.

On the national express down to London, Ine and I were sat two seats in front of this Irish boy who talked on his mobile phone non-stop for the entire journey, which was 2 and a half hours long. The guy had a really thick accent which made it difficult to work out entirely what he was saying, but he placed emphasis on the swear words. I remember this one sentence:

"What's that cunt coming to my house for? The cancer-headed bastard."

Nice.

I just find anyone talking loudly in public really annoying, especially if they are swearing really loudly with families about. I'm not a prude it just seems stupid.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I felt really sorry for the mother and daughter who were sat behind him. The guy did not stop for the entire journey and it was pretty loud. He sounded quite aggressive.

One thing that I also dislike is when people use a particular phrase that just sounds quite rude to me.

"Jim, can you please empty the bin downstairs?"

It annoys me when the word pleased is stressed. It sounds rude. Not entirely sure if the person saying it is trying to be rude or not. Sometimes the person using that phrase says it with good intention, but it doesn't work for me.

"Jim, can you empty the bin downstairs, please?"

Sounds better. It sounds more like a request.

ban·ter/ˈbantər/
/'bæntə/, surely?
I just pulled it off google. Argue with Supergrunch (real or fake one) about it.

Ell gave the rhotic (e.g. American or Irish) transcription. As for a/æ, I think it's standard or at least accepted to replace the second with the first in broad transcriptions. And neither transcription is all that narrow - for instance Fish's t could also be marked as aspirated, and various other coarticulation/allophonic things I don't know are probably present too.

Edited by Supergrunch

I say 'Cringe!' but in a knowing way. As in, the joke is that I'm saying it, when it's a bit naff to do so. And saying it when it's not even a 'cringey' situation etc etc.

I don't mind taking words like that to make fun/light of, like I do with cringe.

No, it's usually used when there is no one specific answer; and instead an unknown answer or one that has a huge range

Then give a non-specific answer. "How long is a piece of string?" is a ridiculous and completely unhelpful answer. And people usually say it with a smirk.

For example, if I asked how much a computer cost, I don't want to hear "How long is a piece of string?", I want to hear something along the lines of "Well it depends on how powerful the computer is, it can range from a few hundred pounds for a basic machine up to a few thousand for a high end gaming rig."

If you can't think of a decent answer then just shut the fuck up. Don't waste my time with idiotic and pointless phrases.

And banter isn't just about teasing remarks, it's more general conversation between mates, say on a night out. You either have good banter, or shit banter (also known as chat)

Banter is over-used in the South of England. When I was working in Brighton, one of my work-mates used to use it all the damn time. "That was great banter last night." "The banter was good." It wouldn't be as bad if it was used sparingly.

It's worst when people say something is banter.

"Last night was banter." "Tonight is gonna be banter."

Homophobia (both the overuse & the incorrectness of the words makeup)

Racism (I'm sure I've heard it misused far more than used correctly)

Chillax

British (when used in the stereotypical US ways)

Community

Carbs

Calories (Don't you mean kilocalories?) < I fail to see how this is even legal.

MAcDonalds has always miffed me and my brother.

"All" the words used of adverts aimed at women.

My sister and I have a 'joke London accent' where we just say 'Mac-Donolws!' (meant to be a London accent...) at each other. Hates it, but loves it for the joke factor.

I never thought about that before - would Homophobia not just be fear of the same/things that are the same?

Homophobia (both the overuse & the incorrectness of the words makeup)

Racism (I'm sure I've heard it misused far more than used correctly)

Chillax

British (when used in the stereotypical US ways)

Community

Carbs

Calories (Don't you mean kilocalories?) < I fail to see how this is even legal.

MAcDonalds has always miffed me and my brother.

"All" the words used of adverts aimed at women.

Whats wrong with 'carbs'?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!