NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

I always thought she'd betray him, but didn't expect a fake hibiki to be there instead of the real one.

Also the 'storyteller' makes little sense really. I think the first season had it all, was always going to be a mission to better the first series.

You started any new ones lately?

Yeah the first series was brilliant.

I started Cage of Eden and Deadman Wonderland and I'm up to date on both, I'm enjoying Cage of Eden but finding Deadman Wonderland a bit meh.

I think I'll start Wolf Guy having seen you say that you're enjoying it. :bowdown:

EDIT - I've read the first 12 chapters of Wolf Guy... it's definitely one I'm going to keep at! Another great recommendation it seems Ellmeister, thanks!!!

Edited by Kav

No relevance to what? I'd like you to show me a manga/anime that has relevance. The characters aren't empty either, they've progressed and changed, sure it isn't the most in-depth emotional manga but if you look at it as just all out action then I don't see why it wasn't great.

Several have relevance!!! Anything by Urasawa, Tezuka or Inoue is a must, in that regard! I mean... all these human nature character studies going on in Buddha, REAL, Vagabond, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Solanin, Historie, Planetes, etc etc etc... you know all too well that there's an abundance of relevant media within the medium. Maybe you choose to embrace the more popular facets of it, though, which are indeed quite poor on that front, for the most part...

But that doesn't matter, what bothers me about gantz is that it has no redeeming qualities. I don't mind if something has no relevance if the story's good, or the characters are worth it! But gantz has a bad and contrived story, uniteresting, generic and boring characters, and no relevance whatsoever. It keeps you going simply based on of stylistic obsession. It's cool and keeps you busy, so why bother quiting, right?

I say fuck it, entertainment just for it's own sake is void of any worth considering there's plenty of valuable entertainment to be had out there.

Several have relevance!!! Anything by Urasawa, Tezuka or Inoue is a must, in that regard! I mean... all these human nature character studies going on in Buddha, REAL, Vagabond, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Solanin, Historie, Planetes, etc etc etc... you know all too well that there's an abundance of relevant media within the medium. Maybe you choose to embrace the more popular facets of it, though, which are indeed quite poor on that front, for the most part...

But that doesn't matter, what bothers me about gantz is that it has no redeeming qualities. I don't mind if something has no relevance if the story's good, or the characters are worth it! But gantz has a bad and contrived story, uniteresting, generic and boring characters, and no relevance whatsoever. It keeps you going simply based on of stylistic obsession. It's cool and keeps you busy, so why bother quiting, right?

I say fuck it, entertainment just for it's own sake is void of any worth considering there's plenty of valuable entertainment to be had out there.

I don't agree with this bit. I think the story is actually different to many others. The twist makes it less so now.

--------------------------

Kav:

Cage of Eden is okay, but the whole teamwork, friendship and love stuff is just found in too many other mangas. I thought Deadman was great straight away, it's a shame you don't agree for once Kav :p

Wolfguy is quite brutal and gorey but the story and the quality of the drawing makes it great.

Ok so I'm caught up with Wolf Guy and I'm really enjoying it, definitely another great recommendation Ellmeister!

Deadman Wonderland had me really interested at first but then it started to lose me, I'm not quite sure when, although funnily enough; I'm still going to keep on reading it as I want to see how it ends now.

I'd say my favourite of those I've started reading fairly recently is Gamaran, I just love it!

My favourite at the moment is called Tower of God. It's different. Sometimes the quality of the artistic work varies greatly, although I think they do that on purpose sometimes as well.

It's interesting so far with some funneh characters.

Walked past this place on Brewer Street (London) a few times that sells Japanese language manga a few times and finally went in today. Some good cheap stuff if anyone is interested in picking up the language. Books from £1. Thought I'd give people the heads up if they wanted some cheap language resources.

Bloody Monday season 3, first chapter... oh hells yeah!

If you guys are not all watching Steins;Gate you really should go back in time and watch from the beginning. Alternatively, just download and catch up. The series is around midway now and it's really getting good.

I also watched Deadman Wonderland through the entire season and it was pretty terrible. Really neat concept ruined by utterly generic execution. I've seen this stuff done better loads of times before. If the story can move toward incorporating some of the unique elements of an amusement park prison again, the second season can be saved.

Then again, a friend did point out that most anime is incredibly generic in the ways Deadman was. Maybe Deadman just wasn't for me.

Edited by Guy

Xbox visual novel adaptation about an amateur science group who conceive a time machine, end up moving between world lines accidentally and intentionally changing things. It ties into real world conspiracies like John Titor and the Large Hadron Collider.

Characters are likeable, animation is top notch and the mysteries and cliffhangers keep on coming. I highly recommend it. Then again I'm a sucker for time travel stories.

Edited by Guy

Xbox visual novel adaptation

Haha, saying it's based on a visual novel just makes me want to check that out instead of watching the anime. :p

*Waits patiently for a fan translation*

I may check out Chaos;Head while I wait. I hear that's by the same company.

We watched through about half of Chaos;Head, it has a really cool initial premise that eventually dissolves into generic battles. I never finished it though, so it may pick back up. You could spend your time on worse anime than Chaos;Head.

Oh, I meant the Chaos;Head visual novel. I'm far more likely to make it through a game than an anime.

Though I hear the main character is annoying and the ending is disappointing, so now I'm not so sure. :hmm:

Do the visual novels even exist in English? I know Steins;Gate is coming out, if not already out, on the PSP. Maybe a fan translation will arise from that.

There definitely appears to be a fan translation of Chaos;Head, though I'm not sure how good it is. It probably can't be worse than the official translation for Ever 17, though.

And yeah, I saw that there's a fan translation for Steins;Gate on the way when I googled the visual novel after you mentioned it. If the story is as good as you say it is, I hope they finish it soon. ;)

Right, I've come in here to be difficult: could anyone recommend me an anime series I might enjoy?

There are several things to bear in mind when I say this, namely that the only two I've ever really enjoyed were Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo; it probably isn't a coincidence they share a director. On top of that I recently watched the first two Evangelion remakes after reading the thread about them on here and didn't much care for the experience; there were things I liked visually, but otherwise the meta-physical bullshit, ridiculous exposition and general melodrama rubbed me the wrong way.

Actually I've just remembered that I should get back into GitS: SAC as I liked what I saw of the first series and enjoyed both films, so I've somewhat answered my own question.

Anyway, other than the above can anyone recommend me a show that has some grasp of sobriety and subtlety? I appreciate I'm asking for the antithesis of the form to an extent, but there are a couple of suitable examples out there, I'm just hoping for a few more.

Right, I've come in here to be difficult: could anyone recommend me an anime series I might enjoy?

There are several things to bear in mind when I say this, namely that the only two I've ever really enjoyed were Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo; it probably isn't a coincidence they share a director. On top of that I recently watched the first two Evangelion remakes after reading the thread about them on here and didn't much care for the experience; there were things I liked visually, but otherwise the meta-physical bullshit, ridiculous exposition and general melodrama rubbed me the wrong way.

Actually I've just remembered that I should get back into GitS: SAC as I liked what I saw of the first series and enjoyed both films, so I've somewhat answered my own question.

Anyway, other than the above can anyone recommend me a show that has some grasp of sobriety and subtlety? I appreciate I'm asking for the antithesis of the form to an extent, but there are a couple of suitable examples out there, I'm just hoping for a few more.

Well, I'll recomend you something that is just great in general and doesn't really feel like "anime"... Monster. Fucking masterpiece. It's pretty much a crime drama, no "generic anime bullshit".

Plus, I don't care who you are and what you like... Mushishi is perfect.

Well, I'll recomend you something that is just great in general and doesn't really feel like "anime"... Monster. Fucking masterpiece. It's pretty much a crime drama, no "generic anime bullshit"...

I have to echo this sentiment, Monster is brilliant!

And I can't give out a recommendation without saying Death Note. I think it's one of the best things I've ever seen!

Comic Con this weekend. I wonder what sort of announcements Funimation have. Personally I would like to see the Dragon Ball z Movie Box.

Monster is great, I concur.

I really need to see/finish GiTS:SAC. I quite enjoyed it and can't remember why I stopped.

Comic Con this weekend. I wonder what sort of announcements Funimation have. Personally I would like to see the Dragon Ball z Movie Box.

No Dragon Box movies, just yet another re-release of the series. :rolleyes: