Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Hero-of-Time

How do you pick up bugs that appear on the ground after picking up a pot or rolling into a tree? Swinging the bug net doesnt seem to work and I seem to be having trouble getting a prompt to press A to pick up. The bugs either run away from me, or I accidentally step on them...

Swing your bug net. :heh:

Some of the bugs are pretty fast, so they can be a bit tricky to catch.

For bugs that fall to the ground when you roll into trees/walls, you can just run over them to pick them up.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the fifth dungeon, thought it was alright. Nice setting but in terms of layout, gameplay etc, pretty meh. The boss was cool though.

I loved timeshift crystals the first time we ran into them in the first half of the game, and I still enjoyed them now, but I'd be quite happy to never see another one again.

It's quite strange seeing all this technology in a Zelda game. It's a huge departure from the other games (Spirit Tracks apart). Especially considering this is supposedly a prequel. I suppose it mixes things up a bit.

Fi is really annoying me, and I don't mean for her endless, obvious, condescending chat. I just wish she had more personality, showed some nice character traits that'd make her interesting. Instead, cold and lifeless. I get that she's supposed to be like that, but come on. I had really hoped she would develop as the game goes on but seems not. You finish the fifth dungeon and after all that hardship all she says is "Now I suggest you go here so you can do this". Argh.

This game is amazing, but there are way too many niggling issues for it to be IMO the very best Zelda.

Fi is really annoying me, and I don't mean for her endless, obvious, condescending chat. I just wish she had more personality, showed some nice character traits that'd make her interesting. Instead, cold and lifeless. I get that she's supposed to be like that, but come on. I had really hoped she would develop as the game goes on but seems not. You finish the fifth dungeon and after all that hardship all she says is "Now I suggest you go here so you can do this". Argh.

I agree, but the majority of magazines seem to think her attitude is hilarious. Which it simply isn't. I will confess to small laugh when it said something like "Doing this will result in a 80% chance of death" but the bulk of the whole probability chat is dull.

They've just made her go OTT on the probability chat, if she occasionally offered up %'s it'd be amusing, but the fact that she literally does it at every other conversation is too much.

A bit of warmth would be nice, but apart from 'Congratulations Master' after each trial, there isn't anything even remotely personable.

Finished the fifth dungeon

Jesus, you and I are going about the same speed, but the more I play now the more I want to play to just see how it all wraps up, making me more excited!

They've just made her go OTT on the probability chat, if she occasionally offered up %'s it'd be amusing, but the fact that she literally does it at every other conversation is too much.

A bit of warmth would be nice, but apart from 'Congratulations Master' after each trial, there isn't anything even remotely personable.

Would have been funnier where at the start of the game she was like 'I am %95 sure' to later in the game going lower and lower to the point of 'Yeah what you after is prob here, I am %5 sure'

So, work is all done for Christmas and I'm back at home. Managed to start this beast yesterday. Played for about 4 hours in one sitting, and then about 3 in another. Zelda-time is the best.

I love it completely. The way everything looks, the music, the controls, it just all fits together nicely. I have also done the first dungeon and adored the colour scheme. (the blue colours of the mushrooms and the silver about the place. Thought the first boss fight was quite tricky, though)

:D

Groose is a complete prick. :D

It's very early days, but I can see myself really enjoying this.

Can't wait to play more. :)

Played some more yesterday, into the early hours of the morning.

Adore this game. :)

I still can't believe it's been 5 years since the last game.

I've just completed the second dungeon. Thought the boss fight was brilliantly done. The level design for that was good, making it more interesting.

I loooove falling from the sky...skydiving before getting onto the bird. I really do get a great sense of feeling that I'm falling when doing that. :)

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Finally tore myself away from listening to the soundtrack to this and got round to listening to the CD that game with this today and must say, despite me loving the orchestral arrangements in Skyward Sword (particularly the piece at the credits), the Twilight Princess movement is beautiful and reminds so well of how much better the music was in that game compared to SS. For all the criticisms people label against it, the music should be the one area where people can agree that TP is excellent. Feeling the need to go back and play it now...

Yeah and sound-wise, I loved that nightmarish electronica vibe you had when Twilight baddies approached in TP. And the horn-like sound when you killed them.

I can't believe just how poor the music in this game is, by Zelda standards at least. What a disappointment, I'm surprised none of the reviews seemed to agree.

Having said that I just arrived at an area somewhere before dungeon 6 that had nice, if a bit kerazy, music.

Enjoying the 6th dungeon a lot, 4 and 6 have been really good, but 5 was pretty uninspired by comparison, it basically just rehashed 3 in terms of gameplay.

Back to 6, this is going to sound seriously Zelda-nerdy, but did anyone else notice the way the boss music finishes when you beat the mini-bosses?

at 1:20:

It sounded great, rather than just fading the tune out like they have done in every other Zelda, including this one. Ok pretty sad that I noticed that, but a cool addition to the game.

Fuck me this game is amazing. It just gets better and better!

The massive bit of storyline after dungeon 6 was jaw-droppingly cool/emotional/epic. Nice to get an explanation of sorts as to the purpose of the three trials, and the Gate of Time activating was fantastic.

Having Groose do something useful and build that contraption was a nice unexpected twist, and fighting the Imprisoned gets better each time. Was quite surprised to see it break its seal a third time so soon after the second battle though, but I'm not complaining.

The bit in the thunderhead (which has been so barren and more or less pointless up to this point) was a highlight of the game IMO, fantastic battle on the dragon's back.

I thought the visuals of this game were stunning enough, then I re-visited Faron Woods to find it flooded. Just beautiful. Not started the musical note test yet, I kinda hoped I'd be spending more time in this area but I guess it's just a quick visit to get the song part.

As I get further into the game, I seem to be forgetting all those little nitpicks and issues I thought the game had. Apart from I do still wish there were more exposition cutscenes, like OOT/MM and TP in particular had. There hasn't been a single one, but that's a minor issue. Wonderful experience playing this game, hope it keeps it going till the end.

And I thought the first revisited area was good fun, the second one was brilliant! A highlight of the whole series I'd say. The whole tone, look and feel of that sequence was fantastic, loved the heartbeat as you approached an enemy.

If this is an example of the fetch quests people are complaining about, I don't see the problem, they're good fun IMO. Picking up 5 bits of a key was far 'worse'.

Had a longish playsession yesterday and really enjoyed my time with the game.

Did the first trial in the Silent Realm in Faron Woods. Total brilliance. It was tense as hell. My heart was racing when I was being chased. I managed to get all but one of the Tears and was frantically looking for the last one. I didn't realise there was another one right at the very start, by the lookout point, so breathed a massive sigh of relief when I found that.

Very, very enjoyable. It reminded me of the Nightmare sections in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I take it there will be two more moments like this?

Also, did some general looking around/sidequesting on skyloft. The whole love letter quest with Karane and Pipet made me chuckle.

This topic seems to have slowed to a crawl :-(

Loving the last few bits of the game, the final dungeon was really enjoyable.

They managed to make the whole thing really epic and cool but couldn't they have improved the parts where you get the triforce pieces? The game plays the same jingle as when you get an empty bottle!!

I did love how the Song of the Hero is 'the' Zelda fanfare :-)

One thing that's very noticeable is just how expressive Link is. He was a little wooden in TP and Wind Waker's style tended to exaggerate his facial expressions, but here the little motions and faces he pulls have a subtlety that's just spot on.

Will do the final boss tonight, can't wait :-)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!