N-Europe

Flop console (PSP) now up to 70 million sold.

Choze

Never understood how people could say it was a flop.

I fully agree. I love the PSP and I actually prefer it to the DS. The support S-E gave it was amazing, plus it had Monster Hunter on it. :D It's just a shame it wasn't a big hit in the west then we may have got more of the games that the Japanese gamers got to play.

Actually didn't realise it has sold this much.

MONSTER HUNTER + JAPAN = WIN.

It's weird to consider it a flop.

But it definitely wasn't the success Sony had in mind.

Shame it got pirated like fuck.

Really? I suspect Sony would be pretty happy with that number considering it was their first portable. I think it being pirated would be their biggest gripe.

With the PS3's security still being pretty tight (it is, isn't it? I've not kept up to date) I wonder how/if they can keep the Vita similarly secure.

Really? I suspect Sony would be pretty happy with that number considering it was their first portable. I think it being pirated would be their biggest gripe.

With the PS3's security still being pretty tight (it is, isn't it? I've not kept up to date) I wonder how/if they can keep the Vita similarly secure.

Well in terms of units sold it was probably a success in their mind; I was just commenting on the third party support and piracy issue.

They didn't really create a platform that felt viable with all the problems it had.

I suppose Sony probably wanted an initial launch on the lines of the original PlayStation.

Maybe if it'd been better Vita would literally just be PSP2.

Yeah, true thing.

It's all about momentum. The PSP never really got going and from what I hear the 3DS is a bit dead in the water too, at the moment.

Hardly surprising given the awful launch line up and games (or lack thereof) released since!

Hardly surprising given the awful launch line up and games (or lack thereof) released since!

Yeah, that's what I mean. I hear developers are a bit wary of it. I'm not sure why you'd want to limit yourself to the 3DS when there are about a bajillion DSs out there.

The thing is how many of these sales are Japan sales and people buying a second console? Not that it matters but it does skew the active users number. Also I think when people talk of it being a flop then they take into account the crazy number of Monster Hunter inspired sales in japan.

I just think in some way its was a flop compared to the success of the gameboy brand and subsequently the DS. It took a long time for any worth while titles and then it kinda died down then had a push and again is dead.

I don't expect Vita be hit with the same view on it, already there are more compelling titles announced than 3DS.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I hear developers are a bit wary of it. I'm not sure why you'd want to limit yourself to the 3DS when there are about a bajillion DSs out there.

Because the DS is on the way out.

Remember when the DS arrived and Nintendo told everyone it wasn't the end of the Gameboy?

The difference between the Gameboy and the DS is absolutely huge compared to the relatively pointless update from the DS to the 3DS. The situation is completely different. For starters, the DS has been sold to an expanded market, many of whom I doubt will see any justifiable reason to shell out £200 odd for something their current DS could/should do.

I personally think they've released too many different DS's. People have either got the latest one and can't be arsed to upgrade again just fora few shit games, or people are just thinking "sure it looks great, but how long till another update comes?".

I want one, but there's no games I want yet. And I do wonder about how long it will be until a new one is announced.

Back the the PSP. Good support? Really? The last few E3s have promised increased support, but Sony end up releasing one great game and then going back to ignoring the PSP. It's a shame because it's a great console and I love the way it connects with the PS3.

Theyve released DS Phat, DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL

The PSP has had the 1000, 2000, 3000 and PSPGO

Oh yeah, it's also the same with the PSP side of things too. I just thought I'd put my thoughts on the 3DS since people were discussing it. I still have my original PSP for the same reason I have my original DS. Upgrades are too frequent.

PIracy was the least of Sony's problems here. It had very little games that interested people...

Sony's biggest challenge with the VITA is going to be CONVINCING people that there are experiences here that differ from console games.. The DS did a wonderful job here with the brian training games, Pheonix wright, Professor layton, scribblenauts.

Psp had locoroco.....and er.... not much else original.

Also it launched in Europe( it's biggest market of the time) about a year after everywhere else.. The DS had a large headstart. Piracy is just an excuse. The DS suffered from that too from the beginning.

It also launched at a WAY higher price than the DS.

Edited by mcj metroid

I don't think Sony need to convince Vita games are different from console games (everything pre DS were pretty much console games). The problem was the PSP offered weird compromised console games. The Vita is pretty much a DS3 with a screen. The PSP just had one crappy analogue stick that just left it in some weird handheld/console middle ground.